Carmel High in NY Elects First Same-Sex "Cutest Couple"

methodwriter85

Dylan Meehan, Brad Taylor named first same-sex  "Cutest Couple" at Carmel High School in NY

Too cute. It makes me think about Kyle Kessler in Cross-Currents said about how messed-up gay men are, essentially because they're treated like freaks who don't get to engage in the same kind of socialization that their straight counterparts get to.

We're getting to the point now where many gay men are growing up without hiding who they are, and are getting to engage in many of the rights-of-passages that their straight counterparts are, like going to prom and being celebrated as a cute couple in their yearbook.

It's the little things like that which make ya smile, don't you think?

Has that ever happened at any of your schools?

• Like 2

It supports the idea that gay rights resides in the youth.  Or does it support the idea that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  lol

And this year's Prom King...and king.....are....

Oh and am I the only one who thinks it would be pretty awesome (and in a sort of unsolicited self-reflective way) to have something like "Insignificants" along side the Superlatives? LIke Cutest Couple and Worst Couple....Favorite girl...biggest bitch....things like that. I mean high school is about learning and discovery, and from that - possible change, so IIIIIII think it could do someone good to realize the school thinks he's the "Biggest Douchebag". laawwwlll

Edited by Y_B

This is so inspiring.  When I was a sophomore in hgh school there was a really cute lesbian couple that outright won cutest couple, but because the school didn't want any backlash, the award went to the runner's up, who ended up breaking up a week after voting.  As far as I know, the lesbian couple is still together!

Lord. If I was still living up there I would have been helping at the prom again this year. My best friend and her mother run the after prom party to keep the kids out of trouble.

This is so inspiring.  When I was a sophomore in hgh school there was a really cute lesbian couple that outright won cutest couple, but because the school didn't want any backlash, the award went to the runner's up, who ended up breaking up a week after voting.  As far as I know, the lesbian couple is still together!

You know, that makes me really angry, that a school would do that.

This is the cutest thing ever, I think those two guys look cute together.

You know, that makes me really angry, that a school would do that.

Though I grew up in a very open community, it still wasn't exactly okay to be out.  You were tolerated and it wasn't really frowned upon, but it still made a lot of people uncomfortable.  There were a lot of really conservative parents that would have turned the whole issue into something more than it was.  I'm not happy about the decision, but I definitely wouldn't have wanted their safety to be compromised either.

I went to that high school for both my freshman years! Awesome that it was in the same school district where I got beat up and called a fag for years.... <_<

I went to that high school for both my freshman years! Awesome that it was in the same school district where I got beat up and called a fag for years.... <_<

Aww, that sucks. :/ But at least things have improved there, and other kids won't have to go through what you did. That's a good thing, right?

This is the burgeoning age where Regina George from Mean Girls would become a guy (Tyler George), and her bunch of BFF's would be men, vying for the crown of Prom King. And Cady Heron would be a guy, (Cody Heron).

Oh the Drama! The Drama. . .

That is something I'd want to watch in a teen-gay film 20 years from now.

This is the burgeoning age where Regina George from Mean Girls would become a guy (Tyler George), and her bunch of BFF's would be men, vying for the crown of Prom King. And Cady Heron would be a guy, (Cody Heron).

Oh the Drama! The Drama. . .

That is something I'd want to watch in a teen-gay film 20 years from now.

Yes. Yes. So much yes.