Controversial Kmart ad?

Daddydavek

Saw a news item about the controversial Kmart Christmas ad for Joe Boxers and had to find the compete commercial on youtube.

I really can't imagine why anyone found it shocking or controversial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnPyVkFwUk

Here is a link to the Huffington Post article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/kmart-joe-boxer-commercial_n_4297786.html

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 3

I wonder if there would have been as large an uproar if this was done by women in their undergarments instead?  Is this just a homophobic response to men gyrating their goodies or what? 

• Like 3

Weirdly, the examples of negative comments used in the huffpo vid seemed to come from women. Is it, perhaps, possible that huffpo is taking a few isolated incidents of negative reactions out of context...? I did not find the ad offensive, nor did I find it especially funny, but certainly not offensive. It's... just an ad. *shrug*

• Like 2

Weirdly, the examples of negative comments used in the huffpo vid seemed to come from women. Is it, perhaps, possible that huffpo is taking a few isolated incidents of negative reactions out of context...? I did not find the ad offensive, nor did I find it especially funny, but certainly not offensive. It's... just an ad. *shrug*

Why Thorn! Whatever do you mean?  Aren't the press SUPPOSED to sensationalize things and critique in a way to influence our opinions?  

Honestly - I miss the days when news was news, not bs over someone being offended by an add, and the facts were just reported and we were allowed to form our own opinions as opposed to things being presented so as to evoke the reactions someone wanted!

• Like 2

Somebody actually cared enough about the ad to be offended? And took the time to comment on it? That's as absurd as somebody taking the time to comment on somebody taking the time to comment on their outrage.

Oh...wait...

:*)

• Like 5

Saw a news item about the controversial Kmart Christmas ad for Joe Boxers and had to find the compete commercial on youtube.

I really can't imagine why anyone found it shocking or controversial.

Here is a link to the Huffington Post article

Maybe I missed something but we're not exactly dealing with real news or serious journalism here are we? This HP thing is just an online version of Tit-Bits magazine :P

• Like 1

In all honesty, I smiled after watching the commercial. Then I realised that the song was 'Jingle Bells' and they were shaking their hips like their balls were a domino peg. I reckon some people have issues associating their favourite holiday song with something sexual as the association of a guy's shaking ball-sack to a shaking cow bell. This would probably have worked on valentine's day but not in Christmas. Haha.

The commercial was crass, but it's funny considering it's the holidays. It could probably pass as a late night commercial after-hours when the kids are sleeping, around 8 afterwards. Still, for some people to ask it to be banned and taken out, that's just pushing forward and clicking on the wrong buttons of sensationalised morality. There are sexually charged commercials for kids to see, and you can't let some men in tuxedos shake their booties for us women and gay folk for the holidays? Some people have the least spark of humour. I pray for our generation.

• Like 1

Hey - the add did exactly what it was designed to do - How many of you will never forget that Joe Boxer produces a line of novelty undershorts?

True :P Yeah kudos to Joe Boxer, Kmart and all other companies with a sense of humour that hurts no-one :)  Companies are like people because they're run by people, all kinds of people - nice people, nasty people, philanthropic people or ignorant bigots :P So when we buy products we choose which companies to give our money to.

This is why I'll consider Renault for my next car

And this is why Flora can go f*#k themselves ...

Anglo-Dutch firm Unilever says it has ordered the withdrawal of a Flora margarine advertisement in South Africa that has been condemned as homophobic. The advert features a bullet with the words "Uhh dad I'm gay" flying towards a heart made of china. The advert, on a pink background, includes the tagline "You need a strong heart today" near the Flora logo. International advertising firm Lowe and Partner, which designed the controversial advert, said it was "very sorry".

youtube.com/watch?v=ozVClBTao3s

• Like 5

Why Thorn! Whatever do you mean?  Aren't the press SUPPOSED to sensationalize things and critique in a way to influence our opinions?  

Honestly - I miss the days when news was news, not bs over someone being offended by an add, and the facts were just reported and we were allowed to form our own opinions as opposed to things being presented so as to evoke the reactions someone wanted!

At this point, the whole media thinks we're idiots that can't think for ourselves and therefore must be spoon fed every opinion and thought into our heads.

• Like 1

Anything that is sexually suggestive and involves the male form is automatically controversial.

As opposed to scantly clad barely legal girls who are definitely not controversial.

Now do you understand?

If you do, you can explain it to me. :rolleyes:

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 4

Anything that is sexually suggestive and involves in male form is automatically controversial.

As opposed to scantly clad barely legal girls who are definitely not controversial.

Now do you understand?

If you do, you can explain it to me. :rolleyes:

Sure you know :P

But for any who don't, it's 'cos the world is still controlled by men - statistically mostly straight men - and men have a pretty bad track record in terms of sexual politics - oops, can't say that :funny: - in terms of their behaviour. Yeah, bad behaviour, double standards and... you get the idea :lol:

Edit: oops, omitted the old sexual insecurities thing too - yep, that's deffo a big one

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

If Hardees can get away with two girls having a threesome with thick burgers, I don't see how everyone gets offended when a bunch of guys are shaking their hips to jingle bells. :P

• Like 1