Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Valiant

A Great Chapter Mark! And the bit about Donagul was a surprise. The world gets smaller all the time. Lady Elgin is ashore and that makes things better all the way around. Too bad she has to get back on board. I wonder if she'll try and proceed on granger's ship now that her favorite captain is gone. lol, it would be just like her. And the I wonder how Mr Clifton is dealing with her?

An excellent end to a ferocious battle. And yes, it's good that Winkler has remained untouched. Makes you wonder if he has a secret hiding place or is he now a rather good fighter himself? I would imagine his lover being concerned has taught him some things? Still waiting for Granger to get him a watch so he can keep his captain on time for things. So What does the admiral have in store for him? Perhaps he will free Granger from his depository duties regarding Lady Elgin? Not likely but one can hope.

Well done and in time for Christmas too! Thanks so much Mark. A most pleasant addiction.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Mark. May 2015 bring you health, happiness and prosperity to you and all those you love.

And let me extend that to all the wonderful people who gather here to share their knowledge and thoughts. And of course to your intense staff. They are awesome.

And thanks for writing mark. Your writing increases my quality of life more than you know.

• Like 4

Happy New Year Mark. May 2015 bring you health, happiness and prosperity to you and all those you love.

And let me extend that to all the wonderful people who gather here to share their knowledge and thoughts. And of course to your intense staff. They are awesome.

And thanks for writing mark. Your writing increases my quality of life more than you know.

Well said Rickster!  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I can feel it in my bones, we must be getting close to another Granger installment.  We have had six of the CAP installments since we have last heard from our hero.  Even Mark and Sharon must be ready to get back to a REAL thriller.

I know this blatant attempt to get attention for Lord Granger won't really get another installment quicker, but it might give our story teller and his team a chuckle.

• Like 4

Me too. This is my 37th anniversary of my 21st birthday. But THAT even sounds ancient. Next year I'm going to convert to the square root. I'll be 7.68 and some change. Hmmm, second childhood? Perhaps. Not likely to be any better then the first.

So how about it Mark?

• Like 2

Just wonder in'! How often do you plan to post updates? I just want to plan my tv viewing and GA reading for the next few years. At my age, you see, time is of the essence. Of course it goes without saying that priority will ALWAYS be given to CAP and Valiant.

What a great chapter. Granger handled the interview with Nelson with great diplomacy. Now he will have a royal prince onboard?! This will vex Spencer no end. And when Granger next visits the King and presents his newest midshipmen the King will also acknowledge his cousin. (of sorts) They will have to treat him as one of the crew and yet keep in mind that his loss or injury will cause a diplomatic crisis. The question is will his presence dampen the effectiveness of the Royal Navy because it places one of the most well fought ships now on light duty?  Ya, Spencer will have kittens over this one. And why isn't he being put on Nelson's flagship?

As I said in the review, this has more twists then a Texas sidewinder.

Well done Mark. I enjoyed the fix and you've reaffirmed my addiction.

Thanks for a really great story.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Just checking in. It's 4 days shy of a month since the last. I hope you're getting more free time to write. I'm afraid you've spoiled us. You must be slammed because the other story isn't getting as many chapters as normal either. Just wanted to say hi and to see how you were doing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

An idle mind is the devil's playground

( Philippians 4:8 )

I came across an article on Joel Grey. You may (or not) remember him as an oscar winner from the1972 movie Cabaret. This January at the tender age of 82, he has just now come out as a gay man. Interesting you say, but why bring this up here? Well, since you asked. So, I went to YouTube to look up the movie and found this song from it.

If you look at just the face and listen to the voice. Then, disregard the uniforms, theme and background. This movie was supposed to be taking place in Germany, in the the early 1930s. (Now for the tie-in to our story ). I think he could of been a model for one or two of our singing, fair haired midshipmen.

Well, I thought so and still do. Agree or disagree, this is my two cents' worth.

So if Joel Grey is 82 now, he was 39 in 1972, when the film was made ? He doesn't look a day over 20 in the picture (I haven't looked at the video yet).

Hmm, I looked him up and he was born in 1932, making him 40 when the film was made. I'm guessing that's not him I can see above (his ears are bigger, too). :)

Edited by Timothy M.

I am glad I made that as clear as mud (sorry). That is what you get when I post at 4 in the morning. No, the boy is not Joel. At the end of the clip, Joel does a cameo appearance. If anyone, I think he (Joel) might resemble Arthur or Iggy.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Despite George's best efforts, Nelson carried on his affair with Lady Hamilton. Since we seem to have some time on our hands. The following shows what happened to/became of Lady Hamilton. In addition, if you are so inclined, the Battle of Copenhagen for which Lord Nelson received his elevation to Viscount.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-ships/in-depth/nelson-a-z/emma-hamilton-and-nelson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1801)

If any of you are interested with any of the above, I have come across some other interesting tidbits on the web.

Nelson is NOT a popular guy in Denmark. :fight:  Just saying... :lol:

Can't please every one all the time.

While I was looking at the Wiki Battle of Copenhagen site, I noticed a familiar name amongst his (Nelson's) ship captians. HMS Glatton 54/56 - Capt William Bligh (of HMS Bounty fame). Most every one has read or seen the movie - Mutiny on the Bounty and of Bligh's incredible journey in the ship's boat when he was set adrift.

Of some interest I found the following

HMS Glatton - a most unusual type of ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Glatton_(1795)

The story of the mutiny on the Bounty and how Bligh got back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty

What a small ship the Bounty was compared with George's Intrepid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty

While on the Bounty page I came across the term Widow's Man . This one new piece of information made all of the above well worth my time invested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widow%27s_man

Now that we have heard from Mark (A brief hiatus), let us hope it is an orange chapter (see Post 97) that is forthcoming.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..