Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Valiant

Puts on his Svengali hat, "Iiiii Prediiiict . ." lol, looking forward to reading the chapter Mark, but wanted to wish you and yours a safe and blessed Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow. And to all my friends here, a happy, healthy and safe holiday season this year.

Hugs to all.

Same to you, hon! And happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating. :)

• Like 1

SPOILER ALERT! dO NOT READ FURTHER UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE READ THE CHAPTER UNLESS SPOILERS WILL NOT UPSET YOU!

Wow. As they say, "I didn't see that one coming." Relieved of command. At LEASt Francis Calvert is his replacement. Whether temporary or not remains to be seen. As I recall they said Spencer said he would "take care" of him and give him a command again when they returned. So it is not likely they will take it back from him. So the next step up is a First rate. But getting a first rate will tie him to the strings of the fleet. At least I think so, I could be wrong. Or is this the movement from the sea to land for the story? I hoped we had another book before that happened. I know Mark loves political intrigue when I like the action of the seas. I'm hoping Mark isn't bored with the story and looking to end it abruptly. But then again, will there BE a graceful way to end the series?

Fuck me. This sucks. And still not a clue as to why we have a royal prince aboard.

• Like 4

Rickster you worry too much. You know Mark always finds a way to get Granger back to sea and happy. I look forward to seeing how he manages it this time. We all like the drama of getting Granger back to sea and in the action.

Happy turkey day all and Ricky, I hope you managed to get your hand out of the turkey's by the time you needed to start cooking the bird.

Rickster you worry too much. You know Mark always finds a way to get Granger back to sea and happy. I look forward to seeing how he manages it this time. We all like the drama of getting Granger back to sea and in the action.

Happy turkey day all and Ricky, I hope you managed to get your hand out of the turkey's by the time you needed to start cooking the bird.

• Like 2

lol, ya we had a little to drink TOO Jimmy. The bird came out golden brown and perfect. We got stuffed and fluffed and then I got hit with a cold and like a light switch being thrown I felt like I had been run over by a truck. Slept for an obscene amount of time and here I am again trying to stem the flow from my nose in between sneezes.

Gonna bring on the nyquil I think and sleeeep some more.

• Like 2

lol, ya we had a little to drink TOO Jimmy. The bird came out golden brown and perfect. We got stuffed and fluffed and then I got hit with a cold and like a light switch being thrown I felt like I had been run over by a truck. Slept for an obscene amount of time and here I am again trying to stem the flow from my nose in between sneezes.

Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Also, fluffed? :huh:

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Also, fluffed? :huh:

You fluff a pillow to make it more welcoming yes? In this context it's chit-chat, smiles, talking to make everyone feel more at home. So fluffed and stuffed. (fed)

• Like 1

You fluff a pillow to make it more welcoming yes? In this context it's chit-chat, smiles, talking to make everyone feel more at home. So fluffed and stuffed. (fed)

Well, yes, but there's an alternate definition. Would be a bit awkward around family. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Hope you are feeling better. Glad the bird turned out golden brown and not fluffed. That would have been weird, not that we are not used to weird.

• Like 1

Glad the bird turned out golden brown and not fluffed. That would have been weird, not that we are not used to weird.

Fluffing the bird would have been weird in the extreme. Especially as the bird in question would have been dead at the time. :unsure2:

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

Wow, another great chapter. And so it begins. I'll not say more here yet because I don't want to present any spoilers.

But I WILL mention that our young foreign prince is once again absent in this chapter and is in fact going to be drifting off with the crew. What on earth is his purpose in the story? He's too noble born to be a casual participant just as a crew member.

• Like 2

I am glad to see Granger and Calverts reconciliation.  Maybe that will followed by others and result in far different scenario than last time Granger was in England.  Unfortunately we have no clue as to who his "guide" into London will be and what surprises maybe waiting for him.

• Like 2

This chapter was enjoyable as always. It caused more questions and didn't help answer anything about Caroline and George's relationship. Can hardly wait to hear from George's father and friends. The interview with Spencer will be particularly interesting.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I speculate we are in for some heavy duty intrigue that Mark is so good at... will the guild be brought to any real justice, and will they be so bold as to target George on land, since it's proved to be nigh impossible at sea? Will Caroline have advanced to shrewdom (don't think so) or will she reclaim her role as George's biggest and most trusted ally? I also wonder about George's frame of mind once he ruminates about Calvert, and where they stand. Really, not that much as changed... Gatling is the wife, and George is the sometimes mistress... will that suffice for George, who truly loves this man? What will Daventry get George into? Bring it on, Mr. Arbour....

You hit the main points I think. George and Caroline need to move on but how...

Granger and Calvert... so much love lost... but soo much still there... and soo much hurt... and soo little time they can be around each other... to explain ...

And if they can, communication is by letters most... but for the love they have they cannot write it that way... the risk is to great...

for letters might be intercepted... or read...

I do not know what direction Mark will choose... but I hope he does it that way ...

that this short one night stand can heal a lot between Granger and Calvert...

I think reading this story we can all feel the pain and realise there is so much love still there...

• Like 3

What a fantastic Christmas gift Mark. I loved it. And I think the negotiations were fantastic. Again, I think te King will recognize how masterfully George handled the situation. Even with such an egregious act was indeed treasonous, George saw past that to the upheaval such a revelation would be to the overall government. The King likes things to be orderly. And I am sure he has his own ways of handling the subversives for their dastardly acts.  The crown has a long memory. George has also changed the dynamics of the privy council to favor the King, thus removing a large thorn in the king's side. Unfortunately it's still not enough to have Fox beheaded. I have to wonder if the Wilcox and Mann Clans are tied to the Guild.

And Pitt I think loved George depriving Dundess the chests. Again, masterful. George couldn't let that purse go back into play for the guild. But this marks George as an even bigger target and the worst part is that he has even more enemies now. What will be nice to see is the next appearance of Lady Elgin. And her father will be none too happy.

Since the prince it seems has some ties it means he is perhaps out of some money. George may just have to play a little poorly the next time he sits to play hazard. Or perhaps on his next birthday George will have to present him with a small bag of gems quietly.

The intrigue has begun.

• Like 3

What a fantastic Christmas gift Mark. I loved it. And I think the negotiations were fantastic. Again, I think te King will recognize how masterfully George handled the situation. Even with such an egregious act was indeed treasonous, George saw past that to the upheaval such a revelation would be to the overall government. The King likes things to be orderly. And I am sure he has his own ways of handling the subversives for their dastardly acts.  The crown has a long memory. George has also changed the dynamics of the privy council to favor the King, thus removing a large thorn in the king's side. Unfortunately it's still not enough to have Fox beheaded. I have to wonder if the Wilcox and Mann Clans are tied to the Guild.

And Pitt I think loved George depriving Dundess the chests. Again, masterful. George couldn't let that purse go back into play for the guild. But this marks George as an even bigger target and the worst part is that he has even more enemies now. What will be nice to see is the next appearance of Lady Elgin. And her father will be none too happy.

Since the prince it seems has some ties it means he is perhaps out of some money. George may just have to play a little poorly the next time he sits to play hazard. Or perhaps on his next birthday George will have to present him with a small bag of gems quietly.

The intrigue has begun.

Pitt was a very enigmatic man.  One of the best speakers in the House of Commons, but incredibly unhealthy, and with a pretty nasty alcohol habit.  I see his actions here as merely acknowledging the reality of the situation and then finding a way out that does not damage his position politically. 

• Like 2

I haven't figured out if Pitt was directly tied to the guild through investment or just that they were politically powerful enough that to protect his position he needed to help Dundas with this situation. If he was tied to them through investment then it could make him less then a friend to Granger in the future. IF however, he was friends with the devil because they were so powerful then Pitt would be endeared to Granger for making his life easier by removing the lever they previously so artfully used.

It's clear that Dundas will never be on George's Christmas Card list. He already didn't like him for the lack of support to the Mediterranean Fleet because he was focused on land grabs instead of the far reaching effects of his actions. Not that he was directly responsible but he was focused on his wallet instead of the cause.

I hope that his relationship with Caroline is salvageable. As he said before, they are both flawed. Her's has just been seen by more people. Perhaps he will hear some words of wisdom from someone who will impact him and cause him to forgive yet again.

I'm looking forward to the royals opinions of his conduct in this situation. And what part will Daventry play in the future. Or will he just fade into the woodwork like a good spy.

Still waiting to se what part the little prince midshipman will play. You never bring characters in as filler. So he has some part to play I am sure. Even if it is by the parents who are pleased at the man who went away a boy and came back something good and whole and someday worthy to lead their nation.

Another masterful piece of writing from my absolute favorite author.
And the fact that "I got it" shows that your crafting is so masterfully done that even a British Political dunce as myself could understand it to the point that I almost appear savant in my last couple comments.

I look forward to the conversations George will have with the royals. The King already lives vicariously through Granger's adventures and delights at his presence. Perhaps as star struck as a king may allow himself to be anyways. And because of his absolute loyalty, his actions are reflected on the King. The Prince of Wales admires him as well and I think sees him as a close friend for his future rein. Granger is not a sycophant but rather a loyal subject. I expect he will achieve a more familiar role with the Prince in the future as he attains a proper place in his inner circle of trusted friends. The Duke of Clarence . . . well I suspect there will not be as much dialog as their is sex.

I suspect that Granger's rise in the peerage will still occur faster then normal anyway. And out of respect for Granger's father the King will see fit to give him a raise to marquess so as to keep the proper perspective, father to son. His father will see that his son has become quite powerful in his own rite and admire that his son was able to achieve for him what he himself could not. And even more proud because it wasn't wealth and land that did the deed but his loyalty and service to the crown. Of course his father's new position on the board of control makes him even more powerful and of course, wealthy. So this has been a major win for the Granger family.

It would be almost humorous to find out that Dundess had a circular brand on his wrist. Just thinking of how Granger could win his favor back. lol

Looking at Granger's temporary position, I wonder if this is not a blessing in disguise? Will he be able to help rid the Navy of some more Mann's and Wilcox's? They do not seem to be Jervis's favorite people either. Especially since Granger IS. One has to wonder if Jervis has much more time however. He is so frail and the channel fleet is such a cold assignment.

• Like 2

Mark thanks for another nice chapter to this story.

I think Granger might be surprised and confused about his new job and new role, especcially what his status will be and what freedom he has to act.

I think he can expect troubles in his new role...

He might end up with even worse enemies in the fleet and some of his enemies might even stir up the rumours around Caroline to hurt him in new his possition.

I think Granger handled handing over the stones as a gift well. For it could easily be seen as bribery.

I think Daventry might be the right guy to tell the Prince of Wales of his share as Daventrywas under his orders.

Not sure how the King , the Pince of Wales and the Duke of Clarence will react...

And Grangers father might be in for a surprise when he learns about his new function.

As always please keep writing. :worship:

Andy G

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I know that a couple of you have contacted me individually to see if I had heard anything from Mark and I had not but that changed today...  Instead of trying to reply to each of those that contacted me I thought I would put a reply here...  Did not get much information other than Mark is doing great but just exceptionally busy.  Did not get any hint of when a new chapter would be due. 

Mark has written quite extensively for several years with very few breaks in posting.  I hope that he gets back on schedule but I think we are all going to just have to take a deep breath and have a lovely cup of tea while we wait for him to get back to the stories.

If I get any additional communication, I will let everyone know...

• Like 4

Hi, I know that a couple of you have contacted me individually to see if I had heard anything from Mark and I had not but that changed today...  Instead of trying to reply to each of those that contacted me I thought I would put a reply here...  Did not get much information other than Mark is doing great but just exceptionally busy.  Did not get any hint of when a new chapter would be due. 

Mark has written quite extensively for several years with very few breaks in posting.  I hope that he gets back on schedule but I think we are all going to just have to take a deep breath and have a lovely cup of tea while we wait for him to get back to the stories.

If I get any additional communication, I will let everyone know...

Thanks for the info here and the extra info on the CAP Black widow forum.

From the Black Widow Forum : Mark wrote, I'm in relatively good spirits, but I've just had some work issues that have absorbed my writing time and motivation.  New responsibilities, new semester, new challenges, so all good, but that has sort of left me a burnt out shell in the evening.  My mind migrates towards brainless video games or apps, as if it craves something easy and routine to do.

I hope Mark can handle his issues, as private issues and work issues are (unlike in stories) most times difficult to handle.

It seems Mark is in a  situation where Granger could be in.

On a small ship, in rough seas, under attack from stronger enemies and exhausted :fight:

---

Mark, think about yourself and take the time you need :hug:

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..