Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Valiant

Now that we know the darkness will soon be ending, I have another video for you to help get  past this short wait. Valiant's masthead is supposed to be Oden's horse (a viking horse?). A possible modern version of him?

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g72/354172/354172_1237381300_large.jpg

I was from a young age fascinated with the idea of a Viking Funeral. The following film was/is a favourite of mine and it has a Viking funeral and as a bonus is about the French Foreign Legion, another subject of interest to me. I present to you ' Beau Geste ' .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOnTpJQLpY

WHAT A TREAT! Was on an island wishing I could have just a taste of chocolate and what floated ashore but Mt Llewellyn! Absolutely loved the chapter. And the prince is to be delayed! That means they are going to use some powder and shot. And Barry will probably be sent as his escourt and muck things up.

Welcome back Mark. You are greatly loved and sorely missed.  Now if you don't mind, I have to go back for a second read.

Thanks for the sweets Mark!

• Like 1

Ricky beat me to it (yet again) in thanking you for this latest chapter. I had just turned on my computer, clicked GA and seen your update (5 min ago) and fired this off to you. Sight unseen, thank you in advance for your return Bridgemont. I have spent a bit of time looking up anything on the local royalty,  any politics and/or historical in and around the Med, that you might use in some way in the chapter(s) to come. Now I will get to see if anything  that I found, turns up. It is a win-win situation no matter what, YAY! :2thumbs: Thanks again, good to have you back.

Sandrewn

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Granger could use his charms on Lady Hamilton and persuade her to take the precautions which Nelson refuses to do. Surely if she loves Nelson the argument his career and maybe even his life could be in danger might have an impact. This goes for her meddling in the Hardy situation as well as the lack of discretion. If Granger tells her he worries for Nelson's safety with an incompetent captain and is appalled to see Hardy being sent home (without revealing he knows the story behind), she might understand. But perhaps she resents the close (even though quite professional) relationship between Hardy and Nelson ?

• Like 1

The latest chapter is a gem and there wasn't even any sex in it! 

However, I foresee where that might be soon rectified.   I love the character of George Granger and never tire of his adventures......

• Like 2

I'm wondering if Granger could use his charms on Lady Hamilton and persuade her to take the precautions which Nelson refuses to do. Surely if she loves Nelson the argument his career and maybe even his life could be in danger might have an impact. This goes for her meddling in the Hardy situation as well as the lack of discretion. If Granger tells her he worries for Nelson's safety with an incompetent captain and is appalled to see Hardy being sent home (without revealing he knows the story behind), she might understand. But perhaps she resents the close (even though quite professional) relationship between Hardy and Nelson ?

I really don't think that's an option.  At this point, Nelson is infatuated with her, and like a love-sick high school boy.  He's only listening to his heart, and, uh, another part of his body.

• Like 1

I really don't think that's an option.  At this point, Nelson is infatuated with her, and like a love-sick high school boy.  He's only listening to his heart, and, uh, another part of his body.

Yeah, that's why I want Granger to talk to Lady H. instead. She may be more sensible than Nelson. :lol: But of course you're bound by what happened in history, so unless you're making Nelson seem even more infatuated than he really is and then push him the other way via Granger influencing Lady H. there isn't much leeway.

Did Hardy get sent home at this point IRL and when did he join Nelson again?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • 1 month later...

Mark

just wondering if you have aplan for our friend George? I do hang out for his next installment, selfish of me, yes, but when one has developed an attachment, it is so hard to let go!

• Like 1

Mark

just wondering if you have aplan for our friend George? I do hang out for his next installment, selfish of me, yes, but when one has developed an attachment, it is so hard to let go!

Canuk, wasn't there a chapter just last week? I've been in show mode and haven't had a chance to read it yet but I'm sure there was a tickler in my email. I just got back home but have to run back out once more before I can read it.

An update for you loyal and long-suffering Granger fans.  Chapter 29 was up not too terribly long ago, and Chapter 30 is in final edit and should hit in a weekish.  Chapter 31 is in initial edit.  So I've done a bit of writing.  :-)

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

An awesome chapter Mark. And Jardines is back in the picture. I was honestly a little nervous with Granger going ashore. I mean there is a serious price on his head. And what happens in Constantinople? Ottaman honor is almost an oxymoron. And yes, they were working to establish diplomatic ties but what if the deal Lady Elgin is working on is surrendering Granger for the bounty? She is tied to the guild and so was the late Maidstone. What if this is tied to that and they are looking for retribution?

I'd feel better if Jardines was going with them on this last leg. At least he knows the language. Well I'm pretty sure by now he does. If nothing else he knows how they work. Nothing of the prince in this chapter at all though. I found that interesting in itself.

• Like 1

Seeing as someone's just done a similar thing for the new CAP instalment, I thought I'd dedicate my first ever forum post to listing the ages of the main Bridgemont characters as of the moment (Dec 1799), before the century turns. Hopefully my recollections are fairly accurate, (~) indicates a hypothesised age. I've stuck in some titles, but not all.

George III- B. Jun 4th 1738 - 61

Frederick Granger, 1st Duke of Suffolk- B. ~1750 - ~49

Rear-Admiral Baron Nelson of the Nile- B. Sep 28th 1758 - 41

Captain John Travers- B. 1770

Frederick 'Freddie' Granger- B. ~1770 - ~29

Lord 'Iggy' Calverton- B. ~1770 - ~29

Sir Philip Kerry- B. ~1770 - ~29

Albert 'Bertie' Granger- B. 1773 - 26

Lord Peter Chartley- B. ~1773 - ~26

Captain Somers- B. ~1774 - ~25

Captain Frances Calvert- B. ~1775 - ~24

Captain George Granger- B. Jan 1776 - 23

Prince William, Duke of Gloucester ('Silly Billy')- B. Jan 15th 1776 - 23

Caroline Granger- B. ~1776 - ~23

Lord Frederick Cavendish- B. Jan 1780 - 19

Winkler- B. 1781 - 18

Prince Genarro- B. ~1783 - 16

• Like 2

Seeing as someone's just done a similar thing for the new CAP instalment, I thought I'd dedicate my first ever forum post to listing the ages of the main Bridgemont characters as of the moment (Dec 1799), before the century turns. Hopefully my recollections are fairly accurate, (~) indicates a hypothesised age. I've stuck in some titles, but not all.

George III- B. Jun 4th 1738 - 61

Frederick Granger, 1st Duke of Suffolk- B. ~1750 - ~49

Rear-Admiral Baron Nelson of the Nile- B. Sep 28th 1758 - 41

Captain John Travers- B. 1770

Frederick 'Freddie' Granger- B. ~1770 - ~29

Lord 'Iggy' Calverton- B. ~1770 - ~29

Sir Philip Kerry- B. ~1770 - ~29

Albert 'Bertie' Granger- B. 1773 - 26

Lord Peter Chartley- B. ~1773 - ~26

Captain Somers- B. ~1774 - ~25

Captain Frances Calvert- B. ~1775 - ~24

Captain George Granger- B. Jan 1776 - 23

Prince William, Duke of Gloucester ('Silly Billy')- B. Jan 15th 1776 - 23

Caroline Granger- B. ~1776 - ~23

Lord Frederick Cavendish- B. Jan 1780 - 19

Winkler- B. 1781 - 18

Prince Genarro- B. ~1783 - 16

This is great... Thank You!

• Like 1

An awesome chapter Mark. And Jardines is back in the picture. I was honestly a little nervous with Granger going ashore. I mean there is a serious price on his head. And what happens in Constantinople? Ottaman honor is almost an oxymoron. And yes, they were working to establish diplomatic ties but what if the deal Lady Elgin is working on is surrendering Granger for the bounty? She is tied to the guild and so was the late Maidstone. What if this is tied to that and they are looking for retribution?

I'd feel better if Jardines was going with them on this last leg. At least he knows the language. Well I'm pretty sure by now he does. If nothing else he knows how they work. Nothing of the prince in this chapter at all though. I found that interesting in itself.

That's a really good point, Ricky... I never thought of that...

• 3 weeks later...

A great chapter Mark! A lot of meat in this one.

So the Sultan was misinformed as well. Imagine my surprise. It's a good thing that all these other things had occurred or his word may not have been as welcomed or honored. And SO glad they are away from that place and lady Elgin. I'm eager to see why the plot was not shared with Lord Elgin. And of course eager to see what is afoot. It sounds like Lord Granger will be recruited into His Majesty's Secret Service. And he's about to gain favor with the next King. I better check to see when this one croaked. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Was glad to see the prince get some mention. And the two men in the gunroom instead of in with the wardroom? Interesting. That would put them in with the prince as well. The next chapter should prove very enlightening.

Well done Mark.

• Like 1

A great chapter Mark! A lot of meat in this one.

And he's about to gain favor with the next King. I better check to see when this one croaked. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

29 January 1820. We have a little time...

• Like 2

29 January 1820. We have a little time...

I knew I could count on you for that one. Well . . . most anyone. You are probably the most well versed person in all things Royal or aristocratic that I have ever met. Thank you so very much for always being there.

• Like 1

A Brilliant Chapter! Daventry is going to make things very interesting indeed. I am somewhat concerned however over Spencer's endorsement. We know Spencer is in league with the guild. How much we do not know, but he is as evidenced by his actions. Will this play out that Daventry is a double agent? Will he find a way to abscond with the funds? Will he actually complete the mission for the guild? Nothing was said about Cavendish's correspondence other then the gossip. Was there more? And what will the new orders say? The ones they will receive with the prize money? And what if the priest with one eye has fallen to some other plot?

Again, nothing about the new price. He is a wild card. No one is added to the crew without some story benefit. So where does he fit in? These last few chapters have been different in that there has been very little crew involvement. It's been Granger and his interactions with extraneous or temporary characters. The crew is due for some action.

• Like 1

I was relieved George stayed quiet about his own interests in men in the conversations with Daventry, but of course Granger is much to clever to give someone like him such a bargaining chip, it would be dangerous and stupid.

I was relieved George stayed quiet about his own interests in men in the conversations with Daventry, but of course Granger is much to clever to give someone like him such a bargaining chip, it would be dangerous and stupid.

I did, for some reason, believe Daventry when he said he didn't give a fig about whether someone was homosexual (I'm paraphrasing)... he comes across as a bit of a free spirit himself. I could see his sexual lines being a little blurred, even if he is predominately straight. He is a grown man, and no matter how he may have conducted himself in the 'schoolyard', I would expect, with his less than stellar reputation, he would have a different outlook by now. It strikes me that if he were your friend, he would stand by you. George certainly didn't seem concerned about what he may have thought with regards to his association with Arthur or Jardines... and George is an astute judge of character.

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 1

George certainly didn't seem concerned about what he may have thought with regards to his association with Arther or Jardines... and George is an astute judge of character.

Yes, but to be a friend is very different to being a lover. And those who employ Daventry would love to have a thing like this to hold over Granger's head. Maybe I'm wrong, but I simply noticed how adeptly Granger managed to converse on the matter without giving any hint of his own interests. I believe it was on purpose, because Daventry is not a friend and because such information would be a danger to George if passed on to Daventry's superiors. However, it's probably the way Granger acts with anyone he's not going to seduce, LOL.

• Like 1

Slightly of topic, but in the general spirit of our mate Granger.

yesterday i visited the Rock of Gibraltar. Obviously there were not many square rigged ships in harbour, but the hussle around the port, the rock's complete command of the straits and the magnificence of the view made me think of granders several visits. It is not an easy place to get around (actually, its a nightmare) but it certainly brought home how important a place it was for GBs navy based empire.

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..