Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

In thinking about Zach and his apparent finding of religion and trying to rationalize it, some different things come to mind. Firstly, I really believe that Zach loves Will. Add to that the experiences he has had in dealing with his parents, Barry, Will, Will's family and add in the probobly eye opening trip to Europe. Although Zach has appeared clueless at times, he does not strike me as a dumb jock. I think he is someone who finally puts pieces together and I think he has come up with more of a big picture about his life. I am just speculating, but maybe he has concluded that in order to give him the best chance of keeping the guy he loves, and having the life he wants, he has to be proactive. Maybe the option of Will and Zach having outside relationships with other people has started to worry him, as in he could see it causing them to drift apart and eventually go their own ways.I am sure he is aware that Will have his pick of any number of guys and may eventually decide that a complicated life with Zach is not worth it. I keep in mind that Will is the only one Zach has really let in and Will accepts who Zach is as a person unconditionally. That is a hard thing to replace. Would all this be enough to make him try another option, even though repulsive to him? Finding religion would be a viable way of covering for their relationship, and I think he is capable of doing such a thing for Will. So what I am saying is that there is a good chance that Zach is not being a puppet for anyone else. This could be a decision that he has made all on his own in order to give him and Will their best chance. Jealousy is a strong motivator, and Will being with Kai in Hawaii, for example, could have spurred Zach into action. This is just a theory but if it is based in some reality then kudos to Zach, because making this relationship work falls on the two of them. Will can not be the one doing most of the sacrificing. Will is a very strong individual and if they are going to work, Zach needs to match that strength. So I guess we will find out what the deal is in the next chapter...can't wait...

I agree with you about Zach and Will - Zach has let Will in and Will is grown up enough to both accept and attempt to deal with situation. That is not an easy thing to do regardless of age and experience. There was a discussion about how to keep their relationship under wraps, I think that was with Barry and it did include using religion as a cover for Zach.

Regardless of how Zach got involved in the leaflet distribution, it was a bad idea. And to make it worse he has broken off communication with Will. If nothing else, Zach needs to maintain open lines of communication with Will if this relationship is going to last. I think that Zach would have the determination/strength to make the relationship work but they might need to look at all their options.

I can see the jealousy factor being a very big problem for Zach. He doesn't like the idea of Will having a "beard" boyfriend (there must be a better way of describing it) or worse boyfriends. Any mention of going out to clubs etc seems to cause Zach some pain. But at this stage, Will is doing this for Zach's benefit. OK he enjoyed the sex (a lot) but Will's life is being run to meet Zach's needs.

And now I'm a little worried because I just thought it would be so much easier for everyone if Zach busted his knee and couldn't play. It's probably a good thing that I'm not writing the next chapters - Zach sees Will, panics and slips on the pavement, smashing his knee in the process, with Will crying out to his lover across the road.

• Like 4

I agree with you about Zach and Will - Zach has let Will in and Will is grown up enough to both accept and attempt to deal with situation. That is not an easy thing to do regardless of age and experience. There was a discussion about how to keep their relationship under wraps, I think that was with Barry and it did include using religion as a cover for Zach.

Regardless of how Zach got involved in the leaflet distribution, it was a bad idea. And to make it worse he has broken off communication with Will. If nothing else, Zach needs to maintain open lines of communication with Will if this relationship is going to last. I think that Zach would have the determination/strength to make the relationship work but they might need to look at all their options.

I can see the jealousy factor being a very big problem for Zach. He doesn't like the idea of Will having a "beard" boyfriend (there must be a better way of describing it) or worse boyfriends. Any mention of going out to clubs etc seems to cause Zach some pain. But at this stage, Will is doing this for Zach's benefit. OK he enjoyed the sex (a lot) but Will's life is being run to meet Zach's needs.

And now I'm a little worried because I just thought it would be so much easier for everyone if Zach busted his knee and couldn't play. It's probably a good thing that I'm not writing the next chapters - Zach sees Will, panics and slips on the pavement, smashing his knee in the process, with Will crying out to his lover across the road.

Hey Bucket...once again you made me laugh..I love your sense of humour. The one thing that I am not getting from your post is the part about Zach cutting off all communication with Will. Did i miss something? In this chapter, Will only called Zach once and it turned out that he was busy handing out propaganda...so he didn't return that call. We don't know yet what Zach was going to tell Will about this...He may have been going to disclose what this was about later that night. At any rate it is just a theory, because as you and I agree, jealousy is going to be an issue if they keep their situation as is. If this is Zach being proactive, then I don't think it is necessarily a bad decision as perceived religious fervor could take the microscope off of Zach to a degree, and thus, their approach now would no longer be required as a smokescreen. Just sayin...cheers buddy...Gary 

• Like 4

Hey Bucket...once again you made me laugh..I love your sense of humour. The one thing that I am not getting from your post is the part about Zach cutting off all communication with Will. Did i miss something? In this chapter, Will only called Zach once and it turned out that he was busy handing out propaganda...so he didn't return that call. We don't know yet what Zach was going to tell Will about this...He may have been going to disclose what this was about later that night. At any rate it is just a theory, because as you and I agree, jealousy is going to be an issue if they keep their situation as is. If this is Zach being proactive, then I don't think it is necessarily a bad decision as perceived religious fervor could take the microscope off of Zach to a degree, and thus, their approach now would no longer be required as a smokescreen. Just sayin...cheers buddy...Gary 

I reread the chapter and yes Will only called once - OK Zach is of the hook for that (Sorry Zach). Although I still think he should have discussed this before it happened, at least to reduce the shock value. The fact that Zach's "eyes shot open in alarm" worries me - if this is just part of the plan to keep Will and Zach together, why was he alarmed?

And I also had another look at the flyer text - just a general repent, its funny on my first reading I interpreted it as anti-gay but on reflection it does seem to more general fire and brimstone than anything directly hypocritical on Zach's part. Still stupid but not as hypocritical as I first read.

As always Mr Arbour gives us plenty to think about.

• Like 4

I reread the chapter and yes Will only called once - OK Zach is of the hook for that (Sorry Zach). Although I still think he should have discussed this before it happened, at least to reduce the shock value. The fact that Zach's "eyes shot open in alarm" worries me - if this is just part of the plan to keep Will and Zach together, why was he alarmed?

And I also had another look at the flyer text - just a general repent, its funny on my first reading I interpreted it as anti-gay but on reflection it does seem to more general fire and brimstone than anything directly hypocritical on Zach's part. Still stupid but not as hypocritical as I first read.

As always Mr Arbour gives us plenty to think about.

I am speculating again but it could be as simple as...The fact is they discussed this, and Will is not supposed to be in Claremont, so Zach could jump to the conclusion that something is wrong. As far as telling Will beforehand...maybe it is something that Zach wanted to talk to Will about face to face as in...here is a better option for us...I did this for us...what do you think. Again, pure speculation. Cheers...Gary

And yes...Mr. Arbour certainly does...

• Like 3

As far as Wade/Matt/Alex troika I suppose I can still hope for a untimely demise for the high-rent fifth wheel. I really think that Will is going to be more hurt by Zach's failure to be forthcoming about what's going on. Once he realizes what is really happening he'll understand why, but he'll still be hurt. I see the hand of Robbie's Mommie Dearest involved here somehow.

• Like 2

As far as Wade/Matt/Alex troika I suppose I can still hope for a untimely demise for the high-rent fifth wheel. I really think that Will is going to be more hurt by Zach's failure to be forthcoming about what's going on. Once he realizes what is really happening he'll understand why, but he'll still be hurt. I see the hand of Robbie's Mommie Dearest involved here somehow.

You are spot on about Will - he will be hurt but will eventually understand. I don't see him doing anything publicly but Zach will be subjected to the lash of Will's tongue (and not in a good way).

As for solutions to the fifth wheel issue, I'm seeing Alex going to watch JJ skate and some incident involving that big machine that smooths the ice and then JJ complaining that Alex ruined the practice session. (Sorry JJ I don't care about skating either)

And I promise I'm not just think about the demise or injury to Mark's characters (Nana suggesting Alex take out her horse for a ride, Will taking him out in rough surf, JP just dialling a number and making him disappear). I do quite like the idea of a "Who Shot Mr Burns" chapter and we find out the Riley did it.

• Like 3

From Mark's comment to a review about Matt and Wade

For such young guys, theirs is an old love.

This is why you are the writer - captured it all in that one sentence

• Like 4

I'm not allowed to kill anyone off for a while.  It's that whole 9.11 thing.  People get all testy.  :P

This will be an interesting test for Will, as much as how he handles the issue than the actual issue itself.

• Like 3

I'm not allowed to kill anyone off for a while.  It's that whole 9.11 thing.  People get all testy.  :P

This will be an interesting test for Will, as much as how he handles the issue than the actual issue itself.

You have my permission to kill off Lord Voldemort...I mean Lord Alex :wizard:  :P 

• Like 4

You have my permission to kill off Lord Voldemort...I mean Lord Alex :wizard:  :P

Two votes to kill off "he who shall not be named" - feel free to pick any of my suggestions, I won't mind, seriously...

• Like 2

Killing off Lord A would create an international incident that even JP would find hard to cover up. I'm hoping that if someone just gave him enough rope...

I think is where we need take advice from Will - do the right thing and live with the consequences.

And if we are thinking about karma - Wade's mother should do the pushing and spend the rest of her life locked up.

• Like 3

Is Alex really evil, really fucked up, or neither?

Evil? No

Fucked up? Define fucked up.

Wade is a princess. He had to live with it.

Matt is the professional whore. He had no problem with it.

Lord Al is just keeping it real with class, culture and sophistication. :P

Edited by mmike1969

snapback.png Reply from Mark Arbour (author)

I'm not sure if/how class issues play into Alex's complex. It is a psycho-sexual thing, so I'm thinking it's tough to draw that conclusion, but I may very well be wrong on that.

Alex met two hot American guys in London. I don't think it was random that he fell in love with (and pedestalized) the one whose social status was, while maybe not equal, at least comparable to his own. He chose the one who would fit seamlessly into his social circle, whom he could introduce to the current heir to the throne (and his cuter brother) without fear of embarrassment, who was a suitable potential long-term partner (at least until he was compelled to procreate). It's true Matt had a sluttier past than Wade, but Alex would have no way of knowing this, at least not in the beginning. It was class that led to Wade's being designated the Madonna, and Matt's the whore.

Added as an afterthought: I also don't think Alex would select anyone of his own class as the whore, unless s/he had a considerably damaged reputation (à la Great-Great-Great-... Aunt Caroline).

With regard to your question above, I vote for fucked up. I kind of feel sorry for him. And his ex-girlfriend (no doubt the previous Madonna, who now doesn't even get to become a countess--and eventually a duchess--as consolation for her shitty sex life).

Edited by impunity
  • Like 3

My vote is for fucked up but with an acknowledgement that whoever you may have introduced that caused so much pain to Matt and did so much damage to a burgeoning Wade/Matt love rebirth, would draw the ire of some people.In Alex's case that ire has grown as we learn that he accepted Wade's love while letting him think that they were exclusive except that Wade could still be intimate with Matt to "help them" deal and keep their friendship.When it turns out he wanted to keep Matt involved for his own ulterior motives of having a bit of rough and takes advantage of that Two minutes after arriving, while Wade is sick, sort of slides him closer to the inadvertantly evil category. Is Alex an evil person...no...but he is somewhat callous and arrogant and self centered and as such has done some damage. It would appear that the fucked up part of Alex (Madonna-whore complex or such) would never allow him to be happy with just Wade and hiding that from Wade could be seen as cruel. I wouldn't want to see him crushed by a Zamboni (ice rink machine) but if we could bo back in time, passage on the Titanic would be an option I would consider. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I just wonder if Alex actually expected Matt to keep the fact they were together from Wade?

I don't think this complex works unless you keep the "wife" and "mistress" apart (or at least in the dark about each other).

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

What's confusing, though, is why Alex would be ok with (pure, virginal) Wade's having sex with another man. Unless he just agreed so as to have access to Matt?

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

I just wonder if Alex actually expected Matt to keep the fact they were together from Wade? 

Given Alex's position, I would imagine the "whores" he has met previously were incredibly discrete....

• Like 1

The whore and the Madonna are supposed to be in separate compartmentalised parts of your life - I don't think the whore is supposed to go and talk to the Madonna after being serviced.

This issue does clarify to two relationships quite well - Matt and Wade tell each other everything, they share everything, they know each other deeply - theirs is an old love - to quote the bard. Alex wanted to be "exclusive" but have his bit of rough on the side. That's cheating. Speak about it with your lover, agree that's what's happening - all good. Break your promise, cheat and that's all bad.

We still haven't had the conversation between Wade and Alex (I'm sorry but that is so weird - sickness or no sickness). When Alex denies it, or says that sex with Matt doesn't count because he is just a bit of rough - thats when Wade will need to make some really hard choices. Has Alex had sex with any of the staff at Escorial? You don't necessarily only have one whore.

Bring on the next chapter - even if it does mean we are close to the end of Flux  :,(  :no:

• Like 5

My vote is for fucked up but with an acknowledgement that whoever you may have introduced that caused so much pain to Matt and did so much damage to a burgeoning Wade/Matt love rebirth, would draw the ire of some people.In Alex's case that ire has grown as we learn that he accepted Wade's love while letting him think that they were exclusive except that Wade could still be intimate with Matt to "help them" deal and keep their friendship.When it turns out he wanted to keep Matt involved for his own ulterior motives of having a bit of rough and takes advantage of that Two minutes after arriving, while Wade is sick, sort of slides him closer to the inadvertantly evil category. Is Alex an evil person...no...but he is somewhat callous and arrogant and self centered and as such has done some damage. It would appear that the fucked up part of Alex (Madonna-whore complex or such) would never allow him to be happy with just Wade and hiding that from Wade could be seen as cruel. I wouldn't want to see him crushed by a Zamboni (ice rink machine) but if we could bo back in time, passage on the Titanic would be an option I would consider. :rolleyes:

Self-important Lord Vorde… sorry Alex would be getting a white feather every year for the rest of his life. Not quite the result we are after.

• Like 1

What has Alex done that is so awful? 

Seems to me that he met a single guy (Wade), developed some pretty strong feelings for him, but was nice enough to keep Matt in their relationship.  No matter what's happening at Escorial right now, having Matt available as a sexual partner is way more important to Wade than to Alex. 

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..