Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Wow, I'm sure at 51 Mark must LOVE getting compared to elderly residents in a nursing home.

Seriously though, age really is sometimes just a number. Dylan McDermott from American Horrory Story is in his 50's and he's smoking hot:

dylan-mcdermott-american-horror-story.jp

Thanks for providing more evidence that healthy ageing has its advantages  :thumbup:

Growing up I noticed that my folks' friends came in two varieties - those that got "old" at 40 or at 50, and those that just got older. And I have started to notice it with some of my friends - they think they should be old and therefore become old. I think young Dylan along with Headstall and Daddydavek show that attitude is what its all about.

Someone like JP is obviously looking at keeping active beyond Stanford - his work at Claremont would be a full time role for anyone else.

And methodwriter85, if you have other examples of health ageing feel free to share  :P

Edited by Bucket1
  • Like 2

Thanks for providing more evidence that healthy ageing has its advantages  :thumbup:

Growing up I noticed that my folks' friends came in two varieties - those that got "old" at 40 or at 50, and those that just got older. And I have started to notice it with some of my friends - they think they should be old and therefore become old. I think young Dylan along with Headstall and Daddydavek show that attitude is what its all about.

Someone like JP is obviously looking at keeping active beyond Stanford - he work at Claremont would be a full time role for anyone else.

And methodwriter85, if you have other examples of health ageing feel free to share  :P

Just watching the last day in the Pyranees on the Tour de France and thinking about your post. It is a real nice feeling, at my age, to know that I can handle these hills on my bike as well...maybe not as many and certainly not as fast, but I can stiil do them. It would be so easy to not get out there everyday...I average 25k to 35k on a mountain bike (way harder than a road bike to go the same distance-and I do it in the two toughest gears)...but I think about how much trouble my mom had getting around in the last ten years of her life. It was such a tough thing to watch and I certainly don't want that for myself. Healthy ageing is really just healthy living and I tell everyone who asks, that it is never too late. I also run, swim and weight lift (and eliptical in the winter to replace the bike). It applies to everyone, but in our gay culture there is added pressure where old and unfit often equals invisable to other than your friends and I have witnessed how hurtful that can be. The thing is, nobody takes our control over our fitness and the good health it gives us...that is something we can choose to keep for ourselves. I don't mean to be preachy, but healthy living and consequently ageing is worth it. Like Bucket says, never let yourself become old because you think you should. Just sayin...cheers...Gary

• Like 2

One of the reviews said that Mark would reveal why Alex is acting like two different people - could that be it? Alex is actually a set of identical twins - Matt and Wade can have one each - no need to be jealous. :P

• Like 1

One of the reviews said that Mark would reveal why Alex is acting like two different people - could that be it? Alex is actually a set of identical twins - Matt and Wade can have one each - no need to be jealous. :P

That's exactly what I was wondering! Matt's would be the evil (also sexier and gayer) one. ;)
  • Like 1

I think that someone else had it more right when they thought it is more likely a matter of perception.  The Lord by virtue of his birth and upbringing has an aristocratic (not upper class) point of view.   I too think he perceives Wade to be at least upper class and treats him with the reserve and respect due a gentleman.  While Matt may be upper class in Cleveland, he probably comes across much more middle class to Alex and he treats him as such.  Someone he can let loose with and not worry about his actions or appearances in private.  I think it is so ingrained in the aristocracy to treat other gentlemen as gentlemen, that they can't escape it even in a moment of passion.  

So while I don't see any evidence of a personality disorder or a worse mental problem yet, I do see class coming into it

• Like 4

I just realized that for a soap opera, we really haven't run into any identical twins that I can think of. Or even fraternal ones. Which is funny, because twins aren't even that rare. I knew at least four pairs of twins in high school.

I just realized that for a soap opera, we really haven't run into any identical twins that I can think of. Or even fraternal ones. Which is funny, because twins aren't even that rare. I knew at least four pairs of twins in high school.

Claire and billy.

• Like 1

After the Alex/Matt/Wade drama has some resolution and Matt goes off to Chicago maybe he could find a set of twins there - with the drama that has been happening (and still yet to come) Matt deserves a double dose of fun.

I think that someone else had it more right when they thought it is more likely a matter of perception.  The Lord by virtue of his birth and upbringing has an aristocratic (not upper class) point of view.   I too think he perceives Wade to be at least upper class and treats him with the reserve and respect due a gentleman.  While Matt may be upper class in Cleveland, he probably comes across much more middle class to Alex and he treats him as such.  Someone he can let loose with and not worry about his actions or appearances in private.  I think it is so ingrained in the aristocracy to treat other gentlemen as gentlemen, that they can't escape it even in a moment of passion.  

So while I don't see any evidence of a personality disorder or a worse mental problem yet, I do see class coming into it

While this maybe the most "un-soapy" version of what is happening, it does raise some interesting questions.

Wade does not see Matt as a "lesser" individual and Alex viewing Matt as his/their "bit of rough" will not sit well. It also stops Alex from providing Wade with what he needs in the bedroom. Not good for the longer term.

The fact that Alex is capable of this kind of "loving" and has withheld it from Wade, shocked him - Wade has tried to get Alex to be more forceful in the bedroom with no luck. Matt comes along and gets skull-fucked in the back of the limo within minutes of getting together.

The other big issue still on the table is that Matt was meant for Wade alone - Wade didnt want to share.

• Like 1

While this maybe the most "un-soapy" version of what is happening, it does raise some interesting questions.

Wade does not see Matt as a "lesser" individual and Alex viewing Matt as his/their "bit of rough" will not sit well. It also stops Alex from providing Wade with what he needs in the bedroom. Not good for the longer term.

The fact that Alex is capable of this kind of "loving" and has withheld it from Wade, shocked him - Wade has tried to get Alex to be more forceful in the bedroom with no luck. Matt comes along and gets skull-fucked in the back of the limo within minutes of getting together.

The other big issue still on the table is that Matt was meant for Wade alone - Wade didnt want to share.

As usual, Mr. Arbour has built-in a bit of drama that he will probably exploit in a way that surprises all of us.  He does seem to be able to keep us guessing.

As for as twins, I suspect that if we see any twins, it will be Tiffany making that announcement.  Woudln't it be strange if they were fraternal and one was Wade's and one was Matt's?

• Like 2

One last post before I run away - is this why Alex said he and Wade can be exclusive but still fuck Matt?

Alex will be happy to be a dud lover (sorry act gentlemanly in the bedroom) for Wade "exclusively" but fuck any bit of scruff he wants on the side?

I don't think that fits with Wade's definition of exclusive.

If the relationship survives until the move the Boston, there is a whole city of boys for Alex to fuck. Isn't that exactly what Wade was trying to avoid?

Edited by Bucket1
  • Like 1

After the Alex/Matt/Wade drama has some resolution and Matt goes off to Chicago maybe he could find a set of twins there - with the drama that has been happening (and still yet to come) Matt deserves a double dose of fun.

Oooh, if we're talking period hotties...

The Abercrombie Carlson Twins

God, they were SOOOOO hot.

• Like 2

As usual, Mr. Arbour has built-in a bit of drama that he will probably exploit in a way that surprises all of us.  He does seem to be able to keep us guessing.

As for as twins, I suspect that if we see any twins, it will be Tiffany making that announcement.  Woudln't it be strange if they were fraternal and one was Wade's and one was Matt's?

Well, well, well… that would be a story line and a half

Repent now all you god awful sinners!

:lol:

Just what we need in CAP: a repressed closet cases religious nutball.

I see Brenda Hayes hand in this.

That would work, she would love it - I can't see Wally and Clara being part of this but Barry on the other hand could easily promote this sort of pathetically bad idea.

• Like 1

I see Brenda Hayes hand in this.

I did too. But the really interesting question is whether Zach is doing this for tactical reasons. Maybe his parents will be really freaked out about this and therefore relent on the contact to Will.  ^_^   No matter how much Zach is swayed by other people's opinions, I can't really see him embrace the religious nutcases. But I can totally see him enjoy taking the piss on his parents about this:

"But Dad I thought you wanted me to be a good straight jock and avoid any suspicions because I spend time with my gay cousin Will. Isn't this a brilliant way of ensuring there'll be no harmful gossip? Plus you wanted me to spend more time with my family and grandmother asked me to do this for her."   0:)  :gikkle:

• Like 2

That would work, she would love it - I can't see Wally and Clara being part of this but Barry on the other hand could easily promote this sort of pathetically bad idea.

Grandma Brenda almost has to have SOMETHING to do with this, even if it is a ploy on Zach's part.

Didn't Zach fire Barry back during the big blow up about football camp vs European trip?  I can't see a new adviser being this far out in left field, seeing as I am sure Will would have had a hand in choosing the replacement.  I suppose we will have to wait and see who the religious nutcase influencing Zach is, why Zach is participating, and if they have actually gotten into his head or is he using the zealots as a sort of beard. After all - they had discussed the idea of church involvement being a good excuse why he doesn't sleep with a bunch of gals, and would certainly hide his attraction to the male anatomy.

• Like 3

Zach Tebow. Up with this, Will will not put. 

Let me say from experience that extreme fundamentalism is a great excuse for not banging girls.  Find a nice lil church mouse who wants to save herself and you don't even have to pretend. I'm not proud of it, but it kept me safely closeted until I joined the navy and became a heathen. 

Edited by Henson
  • Like 4

I knew someone would ask for a citation  :P

And I have been trying to search for it - I seem to remember it came from my superannuation fund Unisuper. This is the combined Australian University pension plan (I think thats the closest analogy). Their concern was that academics life span is increasing (good news for Mark and co) and that is affecting the money available to distribute (bad news for me). I will keep looking.

Australia no longer has a retirement age (no compulsory retirement at 65) so they can stick around until they die. The oldest person in my department is in her mid 70s and is more productive than some of the younger one in their 50s and 60s. One of our Emeritus Professors is in two days a week working on research projects and diagnostics - he is well into his 80s. So Mark, JP and any other academics need not freak out that they will die at 66.5 years.

If we are being serious for a moment - healthy ageing is something we should all be concerned about. It's not just about living longer, it's about living better.

And it's good to see that Mark can still get aroused at his vintage  :P All you need to do get Mark happy is ask for a citation  0:)

Having nothing to do with my life currently, i have looked into this in a very shallow and non-thorough fashion.

The best i can find is that it isnt academics specifically, but anybody who works in a high pressure high stress job. This can be found here >>> http://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/COE/gutub/English_Misc/Retire1.htm (Optimum Strategies for Creativity by Dr Sing Lin). Most other articles on online websites of questionable academic use (http://www.iol.co.za/business/personal-finance/retirement/retire-late-die-early-1.1062767?) and (http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2007/07/374/) basically cite this as the basis for their claims. Im sure it could be ripped to bits from a research perspective, but im not THAT interested in this :P 

Countering that argument, its also worth noting that most of the newspapers in the UK quoting saying that thats a silly myth, are also the ones primarily read by those who are in more affluent jobs or positions of power within organisations :P and im sure that most of their readership would not appreciate being told to stand aside and retire because they are too old ;) there are a lot of web pages declaring it a myth but i have yet to find any actual research into the topic. The Daily Mail declare it a myth, but also state that if the individual chooses to retire they will have no (or limited issues) compared to if they are forced out of work, at which point you have bigger problems. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2430399/Retirement-age-NO-impact-life-expectancy.html)

Therefore.... Mark, you're fine as long as you jump ship before they push, once you get to the age of being like... ancient :D

• Like 3

In thinking about Zach and his apparent finding of religion and trying to rationalize it, some different things come to mind. Firstly, I really believe that Zach loves Will. Add to that the experiences he has had in dealing with his parents, Barry, Will, Will's family and add in the probobly eye opening trip to Europe. Although Zach has appeared clueless at times, he does not strike me as a dumb jock. I think he is someone who finally puts pieces together and I think he has come up with more of a big picture about his life. I am just speculating, but maybe he has concluded that in order to give him the best chance of keeping the guy he loves, and having the life he wants, he has to be proactive. Maybe the option of Will and Zach having outside relationships with other people has started to worry him, as in he could see it causing them to drift apart and eventually go their own ways.I am sure he is aware that Will have his pick of any number of guys and may eventually decide that a complicated life with Zach is not worth it. I keep in mind that Will is the only one Zach has really let in and Will accepts who Zach is as a person unconditionally. That is a hard thing to replace. Would all this be enough to make him try another option, even though repulsive to him? Finding religion would be a viable way of covering for their relationship, and I think he is capable of doing such a thing for Will. So what I am saying is that there is a good chance that Zach is not being a puppet for anyone else. This could be a decision that he has made all on his own in order to give him and Will their best chance. Jealousy is a strong motivator, and Will being with Kai in Hawaii, for example, could have spurred Zach into action. This is just a theory but if it is based in some reality then kudos to Zach, because making this relationship work falls on the two of them. Will can not be the one doing most of the sacrificing. Will is a very strong individual and if they are going to work, Zach needs to match that strength. So I guess we will find out what the deal is in the next chapter...can't wait...

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..