Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

I'm revising my opinion of Alex. I still think he's a bit fucked up, but I also think he's insecure, at least where it comes to the combination of Wade and Matt . I think, when he offered to let Wade continue to have sex with Matt, that Alex didn't realize quite how deeply involved they are with each other. That, coupled with his awareness that he is not able to keep Wade satisfied sexually, whereas Matt is, has led him to assert his power over Matt and remind Matt of his place as the "bit on the side" (another handy British expression) in Alex and Wade's relationship. We know that Brad often projects power to cover up his insecurity in relationships; I believe Alex is doing the same.  

Now I'm off to a particularly grueling day in the salt mines. Although, I suppose it could be worse. At least I'm not in the family way and abandoned in the workhouse. (Still laughing at that line, Irritable1!) :gikkle:

• Like 3

We hates him, my precioussss! (Alex, I mean)

Edit: I mean, really.... if your precious princess had a precious ex, wouldn't you double-check before defiling said precious ex in the back of a limo?

And with that, I'm going to bed.... Thanks for a fun discussion, all!

How in the hell can you defile something that was piece of shit from the start?

Edit: Did I just defend lord Al?

Edited by mmike1969
  • Like 1

I honestly don't care if you all like Alex or not, but I do think that it is a good idea to look at things objectively.  :P  

So - let us try to look at things objectively.

1. We the reader are at a disadvantage in that we did not witness what if any discussion actually took place between Wade and Alex regarding Matt and his involvement in the relationship. We only see the snippets from each character as presented in subsequent conversations.

a)  Wade wanted to maintain a connection, both emotional and physical, with matt

b ) Alex agreed

c) What was actually agreed to is not clear. Wade understood it to be he and Matt, Alex understood it to be any combination of the three aparently. Just because a threesome has not yet occurred does not mean it is out of the question.  Matt is sort of stuck in the middle trying to figure the whole mess out.

2. Based on Alex's comment that he knew Matt would be a good piece of ass, he had obviously considered it back when he was "wooing" Wade at the countryside estate. Once Matt had left for France there was no additional contact between he and Alex till the limo. Therefore he had to be thinking about adding Matt to the mix while Wade was still dreaming of an exclusive drama free relationship.

3. Wade went to France to "end" things with Matt. He did try, but the connection was too deep. Alex was supposedly doing the same with some lady he had been keeping company with. We have no idea if he severed ties with her, informed her of his involvement with Wade, or his intended involvement with Matt. For all we know the little lady could be sitting somewhere thinking Alex is off on a jaunt getting his schooling straight for September and waiting patiently for him to return.

Now for the attempt to draw an objective conclusion. Wade loves Matt as evidenced by the fact he was unable to give him up. Matt loves Wade, as evidenced by his taking Wade back into his life in spite of the fiasco in Europe. Alex is the hard one to draw conclusions about. He wants Wade. He wants Matt. He manipulated things to get both. At the very least we know he is looking for what is best for himself, and that is not necessarily what would be best for Wade.

This has the potential to be much more than just a relationship that has a specific exception to exclusivity. I see the possibility of a damned Gordian Knot! We already have Wade's misconception that Matt's involvement would be with him only. We have no information as to whether Alex did in fact break things off with the lady, or if the lady was meant to be another exception. As part of the British aristocracy he will be expected to marry and produce heirs. Will the lady be the momma? Will she be tolerant of a relationship with Wade and/or Matt? We do not even know if Alex and Wade actually agreed to being exclusive with specific exceptions, just that Wade had the impression that was the way of it. We do already know he "misunderstood" the Matt exception. What else may he have misunderstood?  And then of course there is the fact that Tiffany will be a mother again soon. How will Alex react to his princess (Wade) or his whore (Matt) becoming a daddy?

I suppose we will just have to wait and see. Flux may be winding to an end - but the story obviously goes on! 

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 4

Seriously, even ones that young? Wow  :huh:

The youngest one i know is mid-20s ish, so a little older than Alex but along the same vein. Don't forget that in England, titles can be inherited from your parents. In all honesty, without sounding like a pretentious twat, within the equine and countryside community there is a hell of a lot of money circulating, and its a world that is difficult to believe unless you live in it, or are lucky enough to work along side it as i do.

We are rich by no means, but thanks to my job i can list people who attend schools such as Eaton, Harrow and Westminster. A friend of mine has a triple barrelled surname. My ex-boss, who is now a close friend of mine, was talking about how her husband, who works within the top 10-15 people at Rolls Royce, is going to be getting a bonus next year that 'would be enough to buy a small house, if we wanted to i suppose'. This is the same woman who spent $5000 one weekend to buy a horse, because she 'didn't want a mutual acquaintance of ours to have it'. Another person i worked for spent over £55,000 (so nearly $100,000 dollars) one day because she fancied a new horse transporter, but didnt bother to tell her husband she had spend the money until months later. Hell, a seasons worth of fox hunting (which is now drag hunting, but whatever) will set you back over £2000. This is why those who own large amounts of land or large homes will often strike deals with hunts in order to attend the hunts for free, or a reduced rate, in exchange for the use of their land. 

Mark is right when he mentioned that many of those who would be counted as upper class in the UK are land rich and money poor, but there almost seems to be a new generation of people who are both land rich and money rich, which is how CAP is so plausible, at least from the perspective im seeing it from. Alex has been written very well, as often those who have the titles and the large amounts of land are the last to flash it around. Aside from their language and their mannerisms, you would find it difficult to guess that they had any form of wealth, be it money or land, at all. This is the impact of old money, and what often seems to be lost (at least in my experience) by those who could be counted as 'new money'. 

As of yet in CAP, i havent seen Alex or pompous at all. I dont doubt that Mark will probably turn Alex out to be the CAP version of Voldemort now i have stuck up for him so strongly, but just because he has been brought up to abide by the morals, social codes and standards that have been set for him by his 'world', does not mean that we should forget that he is actually a 20something year old guy with the same thoughts, feelings, urges and desires as the rest of us. Had it been Gathan or Will or someone else who had been in Alex's shoes, the outcry probably would have been much less from the readers purely because we have been allowed 'inside their heads' so to speak. Although i cannot comment on whether it is the same for those who have money in the USA, Alex would have been brought up to show all of the airs and graces whilst in company or with those who he was trying to 'woo' and to keep showing emotions to a minimum. This is highly likely to conflict with what else he is dealing with inside his head, as we know that he would not have had an overly fond upbringing from his mother, i would be interested to know whether his father was around much whilst he was young as i cant remember whether it has been mentioned and those who carry titles arent always family men (much as those who dont arent always into the 'school play thing'), and the fact that we also need to throw in the average desires of the teenage-young adult male, so stuff like sex, food, sleep, concerns about careers, wanting to have fun, etc. Sounds like one hell of a mixed up person to me. 

[Essay Over :P ]

Edited by Never Surrender
  • Like 4

As of yet in CAP, i havent seen Alex or pompous at all. I dont doubt that Mark will probably turn Alex out to be the CAP version of Voldemort now i have stuck up for him so strongly, but just because he has been brought up to abide by the morals, social codes and standards that have been set for him by his 'world', does not mean that we should forget that he is actually a 20something year old guy with the same thoughts, feelings, urges and desires as the rest of us. 

Well, I didn't doubt the money part of it, but the language he uses, which I'll accept as normal for his class, since you tell me so.  I still find it unattractive though, and think it may be working against him with the readers. 

• Like 1

Well, I didn't doubt the money part of it, but the language he uses, which I'll accept as normal for his class, since you tell me so.  I still find it unattractive though, and think it may be working against him with the readers. 

I am finding what he says to be the trouble for me rather than how he says it.

Well done to Will, Matt and Zach. They have all done a lot of growing up.

The choices that Zach has had to face are really sad and I'm crossing fingers that one day this won't be an issue. Although there have been a few high profile cases, I'm not sure it is that much better today.

• Like 2

Well done to Will, Matt and Zach. They have all done a lot of growing up.

The choices that Zach has had to face are really sad and I'm crossing fingers that one day this won't be an issue. Although there have been a few high profile cases, I'm not sure it is that much better today.

Actually, it's a bit more intense even than that.  In American football, there has NEVER been an openly gay NFL player.  That's what all the hype is about Michael Sam, who was drafted by the St. Louis Rams.  When/If he plays in his first game, he'll be the first  openly gay NFL player. 

• Like 1

Mark's comment to my review

I get what you're saying about Zach, and how he should have dropped a hint to Will. I'm wondering, though, how that would have gone. It was driving Will nuts not being in Claremont with Zach, so if Zach had said something that mysterious to Will, he probably wouldn't have taken it too well. I think the other thing to factor in here is Zach's embarrassment. It doesn't surprise Will that Zach can't stay hard for a woman, but it surprised Zach. That's a huge ego blow, especially for a guy who's immersed in the macho culture of football. So I see your point, but I'm still undecided if it would have been better for Zach to drop a cautionary hint on Will.

I wouldn't want to be in Zach's shoes and it must have been quite difficult for him. Especially as he seems to have made this choice on his own. The embarrassment about the impotence could have been soul destroying. I know of a number of men who have gone into depression following this sort of thing. The stress of having to deal with all of his problems would be enough to cause hardness issues. Not fun for anyone.

I get where you are coming from with the advanced notice. I think it is a tough call. He ran the risk of Will blowing a gasket on the street. Zach knows Will better than i do but I am still leaning towards something like "you know we spoke about three camouflage options, I want to discuss the religious option, nothing crazy but I think it's the best option for us. I will tell you more when we meet". There is no way I would have discussed the performance issue over the phone or in a text, I can sympathize with Zach. That could only be done face to face and also says something about their relationship that he could raise the issue with Will.

• Like 2

Mark's comments from another review 

I think that I did allude to the reason for Will's growth: it was JP's influence on him. He's modeling his relatives (besides his father) and learning from them.

Will has made a wise choice here - modeling JP for discussions/arguments and modeling Stef for flirting. He picked the champion for both.

• Like 1

Actually, it's a bit more intense even than that.  In American football, there has NEVER been an openly gay NFL player.  That's what all the hype is about Michael Sam, who was drafted by the St. Louis Rams.  When/If he plays in his first game, he'll be the first  openly gay NFL player. 

That would be the Michael Sam that had the audacity to kiss a man in public! The scandal!  :o

The AFL is the same except we haven't had any retired players come out. Forgive the ignorance of the NFL but I seem to remember reports of two(??) retired players that have come out. I might have my sports mixed up. This whole thing is a pathetic joke especially as when they are on the field no one really cares. I just hope Zach has a better time of things than the AFL player I knew, he didn't choose the religious cover.

• Like 1

There are a handful of NFL players who have come out after retiring from the game. The trailblazer in that regard is David Kopay, who came out in 1975, one of the first to do so in association with any professional sport. Others who have publicly come out include Roy Simmons (1992), Esera Tuaolo (2002), Wade Davis (2012), and Kwame Harris (2013). Ray McDonald and Jerry Smith were apparently known to be gay in personal and professional circles, but never publicly came out before their deaths.

I'd imagine that Esera Tuaolo's coming out in October of 2002 would have a pretty big impact on Zach.

• Like 1

There have been long-standing rumors that Troy Aikman is gay/bisexual, but of course he still hasn't come out yet despite the fact that he's been out of the game for over 15 years. I know he's not obligated to come out, but god, if he did, can you imagine what it'd be like to have someone who was one of the most successful quarterbacks with one of the most successful teams come out?

When Esera came out, I remember him appearing on Oprah and showing off his partner and kids in some family photographs. Of course, in Zach's case, he already has the image of gay men raising kids in families together, although to be honest...the Brad/Robbie/Jeanine example didn't end up well. Wowzer. It worked in the beginning because Darius was the easy, no problem child, but when it got to the final stretch with their last two...geez. (Although it apparently didn't work out for Esera, either.)

I think for me, the big jaw-dropping come out story wasn't in sports but came a few years later in 2004, when Jim McGreevy the New Jersey governor announced he was a "gay American" in his resignation speech.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

There have been long-standing rumors that Troy Aikman is gay/bisexual, but of course he still hasn't come out yet despite the fact that he's been out of the game for over 15 years. I know he's not obligated to come out, but god, if he did, can you imagine what it'd be like to have someone who was one of the most successful quarterbacks with one of the most successful teams come out?

When Esera came out, I remember him appearing on Oprah and showing off his partner and kids in some family photographs. Of course, in Zach's case, he already has the image of gay men raising kids in families together, although to be honest...the Brad/Robbie/Jeanine example didn't end up well. Wowzer. It worked in the beginning because Darius was the easy, no problem child, but when it got to the final stretch with their last two...geez. (Although it apparently didn't work out for Esera, either.)

I think for me, the big jaw-dropping come out story wasn't in sports but came a few years later in 2004, when Jim McGreevy the New Jersey governor announced he was a "gay American" in his resignation speech.

Here's what Esera Tuaolo had to say about Aikman. 

“While I was with the Vikings, a rumor broke out that the Dallas Cowboys’ superstar quarterback Troy Aikman was gay. He’s not, but the rumor spread. The day I heard that, I walked into the locker room panicked and afraid. I didn’t know what to expect, wasn’t sure what I would have to endure.

Some of the players started saying nasty, graphic things about Troy and his supposed sexual habits. I was going along with it, laughing with the others. The talk turned into speculation about other players. My stomach knotted. I hoped no one would point the finger at me.”

Excerpt From: Esera Tuaolo. “Alone in the Trenches.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/2oM1w.l

When McGreevy resigned his office I was probably one of the few people who thought he was making a mistake. No matter what anyone's opinion of his gubernatorial ability or lack there of, his sexual preferences should not have been a reason for leaving office. The only ones who had a right to bitch about that were himself, his wife, and his boyfriend! It had no bearing on how well he could or could not run the state.

• Like 2

When McGreevy resigned his office I was probably one of the few people who thought he was making a mistake. No matter what anyone's opinion of his gubernatorial ability or lack there of, his sexual preferences should not have been a reason for leaving office. The only ones who had a right to bitch about that were himself, his wife, and his boyfriend! It had no bearing on how well he could or could not run the state.

You're probably right about that, but I don't think it was feasible for him to remain in office, at least not in 2004.  His opponents would have been quick to play up the trust issue, and that he was cheating on his wife with (gasp!) another man.  Look what they did to Bill Clinton for a simple blowjob. 

In 2014, I think it's something he could have considered.  That should make all of us happy.

He did. I think the whole issue was a lot messier than an affair, and he was given the choice to just come out and resign or get the full-on impeachment process.

But yeah, I think in 2014 it's possible that a governor of a large state (well, for me, New Jersey is pretty large since it has like 9 million people) could remain in power and be openly gay.

Edited by methodwriter85

On a side note, I think it was pretty unfair of Wade to give Matt crap for playing hockey. Hockey wasn't the reason Matt was an ass in college; immaturity was the reason.

I don't think Wade was really thinking about the hockey to be honest, he seemed rather preoccupied with his thoughts. I took it to be a deeper emotional response - Wade is hurting and he lashed out. Nothing that Wade and Matt (and Brad and Robbie and Will and….) haven't done in the past. My interpretation was it was more out of fear than anything else. I might be reading too much into all of this but the ring note (and perhaps Alex's response???) has thrown Wade for a spin. We have had the advantage of seeing inside Matt's head, Wade is still working his way through to understanding what we have called "new Matt". I can't believe I am defending Wade for being a dick (again) but he seems in pain. I want the next chapter but then Flux will be over  :unsure:

Mark's comment to another review

I think what we witnessed in this chapter was a complete reordering of Matt's priorities. I think that makes a lot of sense, considering what he's been through over the past year.

This might be a quibble but I didn't see this chapter as a complete reordering of Matt's priorities. Yes it was one of his leaps but it fits into the progression we have seen. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

• Like 3

On a side note, I think it was pretty unfair of Wade to give Matt crap for playing hockey. Hockey wasn't the reason Matt was an ass in college; immaturity was the reason.

I don't think Wade was really thinking about the hockey to be honest, he seemed rather preoccupied with his thoughts. I took it to be a deeper emotional response - Wade is hurting and he lashed out. Nothing that Wade and Matt (and Brad and Robbie and Will and….) haven't done in the past. My interpretation was it was more out of fear than anything else. I might be reading too much into all of this but the ring note (and perhaps Alex's response???) has thrown Wade for a spin. We have had the advantage of seeing inside Matt's head, Wade is still working his way through to understanding what we have called "new Matt". I can't believe I am defending Wade for being a dick (again) but he seems in pain. I want the next chapter but then Flux will be over  :unsure:

I think you're absolutely right on this.  :worship:

Mark's comment to another review

I think what we witnessed in this chapter was a complete reordering of Matt's priorities. I think that makes a lot of sense, considering what he's been through over the past year.

This might be a quibble but I didn't see this chapter as a complete reordering of Matt's priorities. Yes it was one of his leaps but it fits into the progression we have seen. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I think Matt's been going through changes (evolutionary) but that he arrived at his destination...inasmuch as anyone does.

• Like 2

Ch 44 review

Matt, the knight in shining armor, rides to the rescue and wins the hand of the princess.
Totally unexpected, but I love it. :worship::hug:

snapback.png Reply from Mark Arbour (author)

But did he? Matt says he's moving to Boston, which he's always been able to do, but that doesn't mean Wade's willing to recommit to him. Wade's not exactly happy these days

Well, I'm allowed to hope right ? :)

No, seriously, I know Matt's declaration about moving to Boston means nothing without Wade agreeing. But even if Matt ends up going back to Chicago and staying there for the next two years, I still hope the gesture and their subsequent talk will clue Wade into the new Matt.

Even if Wade is hurt and prone to lash out (as Bucket pointed out), I'm hoping Matt can stay calm long enough for the rational Wade to reassert himself and to realize this is a mature Matt declaring his intent to be there for Wade and the kids in the future (whether he lives in Boston or not).

Maybe Matt should ask Will to sit in on their talk, in order to kick Wade's butt, if he doesn't behave. :lol:

Wait strike that, it's probably better to ask JP to be present (or both of them) 0:)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 4

Ch 44 review

Matt, the knight in shining armor, rides to the rescue and wins the hand of the princess.

Totally unexpected, but I love it. :worship::hug:

snapback.png Reply from Mark Arbour (author)

But did he? Matt says he's moving to Boston, which he's always been able to do, but that doesn't mean Wade's willing to recommit to him. Wade's not exactly happy these days

Well, I'm allowed to hope right ? :)

No, seriously, I know Matt's declaration about moving to Boston means nothing without Wade agreeing. But even if Matt ends up going back to Chicago and staying there for the next two years, I still hope the gesture and their subsequent talk will clue Wade into the new Matt.

Even if Wade is hurt and prone to lash out (as Bucket pointed out), I'm hoping Matt can stay calm long enough for the rational Wade to reassert himself and to realize this is a mature Matt declaring his intent to be there for Wade and the kids in the future (whether he lives in Boston or not).

Maybe Matt should ask Will to sit in on their talk, in order to kick Wade's butt, if he doesn't behave. :lol:

Wait strike that, it's probably better to ask JP to be present (or both of them) 0:)

I think we have all been hoping throughout Flux :P  - and I'm still crossing fingers however we will have to wait for 45 (the end of Flux :/ ).

Matt's decision to leave Escorial and head to Chicago seems to be a good indication that he is getting much better at controlling the Volcano. This might be pure bias but the theatre at the ice rink was just that - theatre. In the past Matt has actually been upset, aggressive etc but the tryouts just didn't seem to be the same. It was more an intellectual exercise than anything else. Almost choreographed or ticked off a checklist.

A clear and well communicated declaration that Matt is going to stay in Boston for the kids and for Wade, doesn't actually require Wade to agree and Matt having a place of his own could be useful - he still needs to study. Slow and steady Wade will get there eventually (crossing fingers and toes) but it would appear that Wade really needs reassurance now more than ever. 

As for having JP or JP v2 there… I think this could be as emotional, revealing and embarrassing as the Zach and Will talk (different topic but the same intensity) - one on one, face to face. Matt should be able to control the volcano (he has had a bit of practice recently) and Wade needs to open up about what's really going on but I can't see Wade doing that with anyone other that Matt. No scratch that I could see him talking to Brad but only to say he has issues then talking to Matt to work them through.

Bring on 45.

• Like 3

As for having JP or JP v2 there… I think this could be as emotional, revealing and embarrassing as the Zach and Will talk (different topic but the same intensity) - one on one, face to face. Matt should be able to control the volcano (he has had a bit of practice recently) and Wade needs to open up about what's really going on but I can't see Wade doing that with anyone other that Matt. No scratch that I could see him talking to Brad but only to say he has issues then talking to Matt to work them through.

Bring on 45.

true - and I wasn't actually serious about having JP or Will in the room :)

BUT having them arrive together with Matt and maybe being in the house (or wherever Wade is) or at a hotel in Boston while Matt and Wade go for a walk and a private conversation, may keep Wade sane and sharp witted. After all he'd hate to disappoint JP and Will (and Brad) and knowing he'll have to face them almost immediately after his conversation with Matt should focus Wade's mind beautifully. Remember he fled Paris rather than go to the flat, when he last behaved badly towards Matt.

• Like 1

true - and I wasn't actually serious about having JP or Will in the room :)

BUT having them arrive together with Matt and maybe being in the house (or wherever Wade is) or at a hotel in Boston while Matt and Wade go for a walk and a private conversation, may keep Wade sane and sharp witted. After all he'd hate to disappoint JP and Will (and Brad) and knowing he'll have to face them almost immediately after his conversation with Matt should focus Wade's mind beautifully. Remember he fled Paris rather than go to the flat, when he last behaved badly towards Matt.

This would work for both Matt and Wade - I like it a lot

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..