Aw Tim. I didn't say it did! But before we didn't know anything good about Alex and now we do.

Sorry to disagree, Irri. But in fact that flash back paints Alex in an even worse light, IMO. If he'd been dismissive of Oli's talent, it would have been easier to understand his actions and derisive comments about Oli wanting to build his life on drawing. But since he recognized the talent straight away, not to tell his son he was proud of his skills (if he was) makes him a REALLY shitty parent.

He could have been supportive and admiring while still giving realistic advice. I bet if he had told Oli how good the painting of Ruff was and made an effort to have it found when it was lost, it wouldn't have mattered he could not be there for the prize giving at school.

Of course, if he had been honest with his son from the start, and trusted him with the werewolf secret, many of their issues would never have arisen.

Sorry, but Alex is a coldhearted, selfish, cowardly, domineering, disgusting bastard who makes me :puke:  :pissed:

• Like 1

Of course, if he had been honest with his son from the start, and trusted him with the werewolf secret, many of their issues would never have arisen.

Yes, but then we would have a much less complex story. Being nice to characters is annoyingly unhelpful: we must be mean to them in order that they grow.

• Like 1

In fact, I don't blame Alex that much for not telling the secret until he had to, and if he hadn't been such a bastard in all the other ways, Oli might have forgiven him for that part.

And I know you're right about us needed villains to make the story interesting. But when you make such brilliantly bad villains, you can't blame us for hating them, lol.

• Like 2

I feel like there are so many unknowns at this point that I'm not handing out the Best and Worst awards till we're all done next week. I mean, we're really talking about judging someone on the relationship they've built in a (fictional) lifetime and we don't actually know yet how it's turned out. 

• Like 1

I'm proud of how well we're all taking the ending  :P

After the last one: yes, me too!

speak for yourself Irri !

I'm trying very hard not to sulk...

And Alex isn't forgiven either. :no:

How can you be sulking? They are HAPPY, let them be happy.

And you don't have to forgive Alexander all at once, Oli didn't. But it's a start.

• Like 1

speak for yourself Irri !

I'm trying very hard not to sulk...

Hee. But Timmy, your post in response to Sasha's status was so gracious! And you hadn't come in here and said anything different, so I thought we were home free.

Look, all I'm saying is that no one has actually flung themselves on the ground and thrown a full-tilt tantrum. Which, for us, is doing really well.

• Like 1

OK, OK, I'm glad they found a way to be happy in their relationship, and it made sense how it ended. And I'll keep quiet about all the questions I have about unresolved matters and uncertainties.

And all in all it's a great story, which I'll definitely read again, especially the last 5 or 6 chapters. It will help alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. :lol:

• Like 3

I wasn't going to post as yet...just listen. There is  a saying that forewarned is forearmed and it has merit, but not always. We all knew what was most likely coming...no one pulled a fast one or fooled us or tricked us...the writing was on the wall in big bold letters. Life is so often about either settling or at least making the most of what you have and that is what has happened here. Oli and Boris have made the most of what they have been given in life and they enjoy a happiness...and I am glad for them on that level...but there are many levels that our perceptions give us, none completely right, none completely wrong. I will try to share the joy they have attained and I am sure that will be easier and more palatable with time passing...but to be true and honest...right now...I am absolutely gutted. Yet I still appreciate the beauty of the story and the emotions it had me live through each and every week. Thanks, Sasha...life goes on...Gary

• Like 3

As I said in a review reply: I was never going to "magically" have them sync up just for the sake of it. It was never on the cards. Quasi-magical-bullishit is the laziest storytelling device there is. At least mine makes sense.

and like Gary said, I didn't spring this on anyone.

• Like 2

I've been quiet lately but felt compelled to add some thoughts ...

While many of us would have been thoroughly delighted if there had been some way for Oli and Boris to have been in the same form at the same time this is the way that things are meant to be. The boys are very fortunate ... in a time when so many seek their true mate without success Oli and Boris have one another. Despite difficulty they have created a life together ... one where each must rely on and support the other. They have found a shared success in the books they create, each lending his talents. They share comfort and warmth and joy by simple presence one with the other ... we should all be so blessed.

While I still think that Alexander has gone far astray I now think I see him more clearly. To me it seems that he sees the wolf within as an animal and so he behaves as an animal ... killing rabbits and mating with poor Anastasia. However he is also human ... he is proud of Oli's talent but knows how difficult it is to financially support a family on those talents and wants more for his son ... is it shame that prevents him from explaining why he is forced to miss so many of the important events in his son's life ... does he wish too that Oli might avoid being a werewolf ... an "animal" ... and so he doesn't explain and teach his what he should. Being a father ... a  parent is difficult. We want only the best for our children but no one has yet to create a faultless guidebook for the journey involved so we err and choose wrongly as often as we do right ... it is often amazing that kids survive.

Thank you Sasha for sharing this glimpse into Oli and Boris's life. It was beautifully and wonderfully made.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 4

Oli and Boris withdrawal symptoms are REALLY bad.

:unsure:  :/  :pinch:  :(  :,(

just saying.... 

I know. I'm really feeling it too.  :,(

Smug.

slightly apologetic

But, smug.

Sod everyone else who said I never had any talent. They were wrong.

• Like 4