Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Which clubs would these be, Tim? I might need to take note of them...

Actually, I can probably guess at least one.

See, Blue, aren't you glad you still pass for 25? Well, I'm guessing you look young for your age. You seem the type who would be. I can sense these things because I can still pass for about 23 or 24 and I always get asked if I'm in college.

Edited by methodwriter85

I am not sure how things are in the gay scene in Western Australia, but in CA and especially the LA/West Hollywood scene, where a good part of the story has taken place, there are a lot of gay boys (by way of defining "boy", in WeHo that is anyone under 30 or 35 if you in great shape and can lie especially well) looking to get taken care of. There are certain clubs in WeHo where everyone knows a 25 year old actor/waiter can go when he needs a new outfit or looks to be short in the rent. Even beyond the boys who are outright golddiggers there are the May December couples who seem happy with the arrangement and don't have a problem with the unequal power and exeperience thing, each is getting their needs fulfilled.

On a side not to the arthuor Mr. Arbour, I am not sure how long this book is planned for, but we are pretty deep into it and there hasn't been a single incidence of streaking yet! :P

There would be more a Sydney thing but not so much here. But even in Sydney is not that common - we value our independence. I know a few May/December couples but both partners bring something to the relationship, Hammer seems to be after cash and a "good root". What will happen in Sydney at the games? Hammer might get attacked by a drop bear!  :devil: (Sorry Mark, I don't mean to be suggesting killing off your characters but drop bears are a well known danger in Australia)

And I support your move to have the streaking begin! The question is who?

Edited by Bucket1
  • Like 1

On more serious stuff, I really liked that Mark included references to the D.C. sniper shootings. I remember that being pretty big news over here. I mean, I live about 90 minutes away from D.C. and it was a pretty big deal when it happened.

Protests against the proposed War in Iraq should be coming up as well. I remember the following March, just when it was about to happen, I took part in a student walk-out against war and stayed there chanting anti-war stuff until our Dean threatened to expel us.

I mean, Wade goes to college in the world's biggest college town. There HAS to be some protesting going on in Boston.

Edited by methodwriter85

Hammer might get attacked by a drop bear!  :devil: (Sorry Mark, I don't mean to be suggesting killing off your characters but drop bears are a well known danger in Australia)

No doubt! It's common knowledge that drop bears are far more apt to attack tourists than natural born Aussies speaking their native tongue.

• Like 3

No doubt! It's common knowledge that drop bears are far more apt to attack tourists than natural born Aussies speaking their native tongue.

The natural nasal twang of the Australian accent is similar to the mating calls of the drop bear and confuses them.

It's also why we eat Vegemite - natural repellant for drop bears. Please don't apply it directly to your skin - it is actually metabolised Vegemite that works.

Edited by Bucket1
  • Like 1

It is an excellent thing Brad's employees are so loyal to him. One photo, taken from a distance and released without comment to a news reporter could probably do a lot of damage, both before it was all explained, and then more afterwards. "Strippers hired by the mogul's 14 year old son..."

Of course, a responsible member of the media would have done their research before printing the picture, and then would own up to their mistake instead of trying to spin it so the gaff is on their victim, not themselves. But how many of THEM are around?

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 2

I just realized that we've seen Brad go from being a baby, to being 40 years old. This is a strange feeling. It's like I watched a nephew go for babyhood to middle age, without having to hit my elder years myself.

• Like 4

Here is from my Chapter 19 review (which I just put up) on how to handle a situation:

I hope the Parnell angle develops, here is my plot idea. Given that the Parnell kid is a Catholic school boy and that teens boys in general have loose zippers and that boys from all boy Catholic schools have especially loose zippers, I'd love to have someone arrange for the Parnell boy to have some very compromising pictures taken to keep him co-opted.

I had especially good luck with guys from all boy high schools and religious schools (Catholic & Christian) when I was in high school and college. I don't think it would take much to get the Parnell kid in bed, especially given his attitude so far. It almost falls in the category of a cover story for his own desires and urges.

Which clubs would these be, Tim? I might need to take note of them...

Actually, I can probably guess at least one.

The late, lamented Numbers was the king of bars for that, but with its closing the under 21 set heads to Tiger Heat to meet the older guys and the 21+ set is at The Abbey.

• Like 1

I just realized that we've seen Brad go from being a baby, to being 40 years old. This is a strange feeling. It's like I watched a nephew go for babyhood to middle age, without having to hit my elder years myself.

:huh:  you mean sort of seeing some one else's life pass before your eyes without having to die ?

• Like 3

My hands are shakey, my throat feels dry, I have headaches.........  I think I am going through Arbour withdrawal......

I hope Mr. Arbour feels appropriately loved and appreciated from his audience. Six days and no Will is a lot to take :)

• Like 3

Forget about Mark's writing in the chapters - I love his comment to Headstall's review

JJ is used to getting what he wants, and he wants Alex, so he'll do what he has to. I think that JJ is pretty much as you noted, and a rather cold fish, until you dig a little deeper. It's as if there's this layer of asshole you have to dig beneath.

A beautiful summary of our favourite skater.

• Like 2

If I was JJ, I'd be pissed that Alex didn't have time to see me skate, but found time to have a weekend of fun at Wade's family estate.

snapback.png Reply from Mark Arbour (author)

I think a trip from Boston to Charlottesville (600 miles) on a private plane is a lot different than a trip to Spokane (2800 miles) on a commercial flight (probably a good 10 hour trip).

Are you trying to tell me that JJ didn't demand a private jet trip from Brad or ask it from Stef? Or that Tiffany accepted doing a ten hour commercial flight trip in her condition, and neither Wade nor Matt offered to pay for a better solution?

I don't know who disappoints me the most for not thinking of this :no:

And the whole point was that Alex wanted time to study, I can't see him doing much of that with all the distractions at Goodwill.

• Like 2

I can't picture Alex having that much ability of being able to study in a hotel that will probably be swarmed with people. He might be distracted at Goodwell,

I also think, given the amount of competitions JJ has per season, that he doesn't demand a private jet for every single one, especially ones that aren't overseas.

I still think Brad is an inattentive dad for not doing this for JJ - and he would be able to win some easy points too.

But I guess Mark wants to have them be apart to see how JJ does without the support of Alex and to create drama in the shape of Mary Ellen. :rolleyes:

so I'll shut up about this matter. :X

There usually is a method to Mark's plot lines, and that usually involves trying to surprise us just every once in a while.  We just have to sit back and wait for them to develop.  

The next chapter may just leave Wade et al in Virginia and jump directly to JJ on the West coast to see whether the "streak" continues!

• Like 2

I'm sad that J.J. could be facing a rocky road in his relationship with Alex. I can't shake the feeling that Alex is a bit of a cad regardless of how he carries himself. Then again, I tend to think they're just using each other to their own ends, so...  Can't help but say J.J. asked for it and though painful, it will an invaluable learning experience.

I have to say that I'm really liking where Wade and Matt are, too, more for Matt's sake than anything. Although I don't condone the actions of Hammer, I find Wade's response at the very least disturbing. It shows a complete detachment from his indiscriminate tampering with the life of some poor working stiff and what it might incur, especially from a inveterate sociopath such as Elizabeth. The poor guy likely has few resources to counter such an attack that will likely have all the subtlety of using a sledge hammer for a fly swatter. I can think of any number of situations where "...nothing fatal, just some unlucky events” could be permanently life altering, and not in a good way. Therefore I stand on my previous assertion that, in spite of his similarities to J.P., Wade is still an asshat.

So when do we find out who the father is?

Edited by GLH

If I was JJ, I'd be pissed that Alex didn't have time to see me skate, but found time to have a weekend of fun at Wade's family estate.

snapback.png Reply from Mark Arbour (author)

I think a trip from Boston to Charlottesville (600 miles) on a private plane is a lot different than a trip to Spokane (2800 miles) on a commercial flight (probably a good 10 hour trip).

Are you trying to tell me that JJ didn't demand a private jet trip from Brad or ask it from Stef? Or that Tiffany accepted doing a ten hour commercial flight trip in her condition, and neither Wade nor Matt offered to pay for a better solution?

I don't know who disappoints me the most for not thinking of this :no:

And the whole point was that Alex wanted time to study, I can't see him doing much of that with all the distractions at Goodwill.

Some thoughts on this:

1.  Alex is, at least in my opinion, entitled to take a weekend for himself and go riding, which he loves.  JJ has a lot of competitions, and it really isn't reasonable to expect Alex will be at every one of them. 

2.  As Alex noted, JJ needs to show that he isn't obsessing and dependent on Alex.

3.  JJ had to leave earlier than Alex could have, so the scenario would have necessitated two private jets...one for JJ, and one for Alex.  Not that money is a huge issue, but that's a bit expensive. 

I can't picture Alex having that much ability of being able to study in a hotel that will probably be swarmed with people. He might be distracted at Goodwell,

I also think, given the amount of competitions JJ has per season, that he doesn't demand a private jet for every single one, especially ones that aren't overseas.

JJ demands and expects a private jet no matter where he goes.  I can just see his bulging eyes and his total temper tantrum when someone suggests he should fly on a (gasp) airline!  All of these guys have their idiosyncrasies, but JJ has been consistently adamant that he wants the easiest, most painless, and most luxurious modes of transportation. 

• Like 3

Ah, now I get it. Your comment on my review was related to Alex having to go on a commercial flight (and of course he doesn't have money, which is why he's staying with Wade and Co.) This makes sense. I should have noted that JJ left on the 22nd but Wade, Matt and Alex went to Goodwell on the 25th.

And I'm glad to know that my instinct about JJ expecting to be flown private jet style was spot on :lol:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..