Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

The thing is, Zach doesn't need too many people. He has a few people he can be honest with, and I think that's good enough for him.

That's a very good point. Zach doesn't care about being popular, only about doing well in football and having Will on his side. He'll be able to focus completely on this (and doing well academically, but I have the feeling he's intelligent enough to breeze through), and being selfish, singleminded and determined is probably a good aproach to dealing with all of the shit that Bucket has pointed out goes with the whole professional sports world.

Oh and we should stop discussing Zach getting badly injured. Look how close it came to becoming true. :o

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

OK I can't help it. One more Zach comment….

As I said in my review, Zach's reaction to the game was just perfect - well, real to life, anyway.

I always found it hard to understand that even though it is allegedly a team sport, its just a group of guys supposedly working towards the same thing but really all looking for their own moment in the sun. One advantage Zach has over JJ - if JJ doesn't win its clearly his fault and no-one else's, Zach can blame all sorts of people if the team fails to shine.

I think this is another nice contrast between Matt and Zach - both want to win but on the field Matt was definitely all about the team (and Wade), Zach is all about Zach.

• Like 2

I can relate to Zach's ankle sprain.  I stepped off a rain slicked curb, twisted my ankle and ripped the tendons in the arch of my right foot.  Plantar fasciitis pain for six months.

If this injury keeps Zach from playing for an extended period it might cause the scouts to move on to other players.  It only takes one injury at the wrong point in your potential career to greatly reduce the prospects in the future draft. This will either bring Will and Zach closer or go off the rails.

• Like 1

We still don't know the full extent of the sprain and it may yet turn out to be a mild sprain.  Mark has plenty of leeway as he was very generic in the description provided so far.  So it could go either way, be life changing or merely a hiccup in the streak?

• Like 1

At the high school level presently the coaches tend to lean toward caution in the healing of injuries but it was not always that way. We could also see an instance where a coach is pushing returning to activity before the injury is fully healed. I remember the term "Play past the pain" quite vividly. It was the worst advice my coach ever gave me.

• Like 2

About Zach; aren't all "athletes" egotistical, self centered, and narcissistic?

(Chapter 8 Review) by davewri Sep 07 2014 07:59 AM

You can say it davewri: They are called assholes.

I think Zach getting injured is a good thing. Maybe now he can realize that High Shool sports don't mean jack**** and he'd better have a back-up plan just in case.

• Like 2

I think this is another nice contrast between Matt and Zach - both want to win but on the field Matt was definitely all about the team (and Wade), Zach is all about Zach.

If you re-read the beginning of Paternity, I think you'll see that Matt was really all about Matt.  Winning, and making the team successful, was his personal goal, much like his own playing.  It wasn't until after he got Carl out of his brain, and sorted things out with Wade, that he was able to become a team player, at least as captain.

• Like 1

True, but it's also true that Matt NEEDS to be Mr. Popular. He does. It's been a pretty consistent character trait of Matt that he's a very social guy who needs everybody to like him. He can't stand isolation. Meanwhile, unless Zach cares about you, he could really give two shits about whether or not you want to hang out with him. Which is probably why Zach is actually pretty well suited to the guarded, closeted life he's going to lead.

He let me drive it every once in a while, and the smooth V-12 engine could send this huge beast hurtling down the freeway pretty fucking fast.

Damn it, I didn't catch that. As a life-long resident of Ohio, and who's only lived in California since the spring 2002 semester, Zach would be more likely to say "highway", not "freeway". Oh, well. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that I've been rather distracted and on various heightened emotions so I just didn't look that carefully.

In any event, I'm glad that Will finally got to have a happy birthday that wasn't all dramatic or traumatic. I absolutely love him and Zach together.

• Like 2

True, but it's also true that Matt NEEDS to be Mr. Popular. He does. It's been a pretty consistent character trait of Matt that he's a very social guy who needs everybody to like him. He can't stand isolation. Meanwhile, unless Zach cares about you, he could really give two shits about whether or not you want to hang out with him. Which is probably why Zach is actually pretty well suited to the guarded, closeted life he's going to lead.

Very good point.

Damn it, I didn't catch that. As a life-long resident of Ohio, and who's only lived in California since the spring 2002 semester, Zach would be more likely to say "highway", not "freeway". Oh, well. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that I've been rather distracted and on various heightened emotions so I just didn't look that carefully.

If you would have pointed it out, I would have still left it as freeway.  It's entirely reasonable that Zach would adapt to the culture in California rather quickly, especially since his boyfriend is from there, and he doesn't really like Ohio all that much...so he's not like Gathan, where he's embraced the Midwestern culture.  I think Zach is quite ready and able to blow off his Ohio roots and become a Californian.

I can see that.

I'll admit that a couple of times, when I lived in Western PA, I said "pop" a few times instead of soda. I kinda liked saying it that way- I didn't fully embrace Pittsburgh Metro ways, but I did a little.

• Like 1

It was interesting that Zach had this impression of Will being 'a slut' who'd be with lots of guys just for the sake of sex. I think there's plenty of readers who feel the same and the list Mark wanted of his liasons sort of worked as a confirmation of this image. But my impression as I read through those stories where Will has been sexually active was that he has used sex as a way to connect to people and express affection or attraction, and in a few cases to deal with a emotionally difficult situation (like the taxi driver at the end of his run-away episode or just now with the hook-up with Carullo).

So it's not surprising to me that Will is ready to be in a monogamous relationship with Zach. But I'm glad he told Zach and that Zach really understood the importance of having Will's heart and that while Will may occasionally have sex with someone, it's never going to be a threat to their love. Plus knowing that Will always thinks of Zach when he's not with him and even when he does fuck around, may help Zach deal with the situation. Just as Will has to deal with the fact that Zach has to be in the closet.

Thank you again for an awesome chapter, Mark. It was well worth the wait.

• Like 2

There's something interesting about pairing the guy who has never been closeted in his life, with a guy who has to be in the closet for his entire professional life. I just like Zach and Will so much for the fact that their relationship, and the dynamics that go into it, has never really been done before in CAP.

I also like that Zach is so different from any Hayes we've met before- he's not a cuddly manwhore who thinks with his dick and gets validation from sex, nor is he a self-destructive guy. I like how single-mindedly determined he is.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 5

I nodded.  “The New England Regionals are in early October.  If I do well here, then I go on to the Eastern Sectionals.  They’re near Philadelphia this year.” 

Shit. This one also flew over my head. According to good ol' Wiki, the 2002 Eastern Sectionals were in Pittsburgh. (It's funny that we don't have a date but we have the location.) Oh, well. I'm guessing JJ's referring to University of Delaware Figure Skating Club, which has hosted this event in 1993 and again in 2010. *shrugs* Eh, it doesn't make that big of a difference if they hosted them in 2002, as well.

It's a shame though- Pittsburgh is a pretty cool town. Not sure I can see JJ scarfing down on Primanti Bros., though. At the same time, you're putting JJ squarely in Johnny Weir's territory so the "artistic liberty" works here.

As for JJ and Alex, JJ really is the perfect Virginal Princess for him. At least until Alex decides it's time to procreate.

There was some chat before about how we don't see the whole lives of the characters and that there could be a whole lot happening that Mark doesn't get to add to a story and I was glad to see the quote from JJ:

“Grand always reminds us that the victor gets to write the history,” I said.  “He trained us to take this stuff with a grain of salt.” 

I'm not sure we have seen too much of Grand's influence on JJ except trouble at the dinner table - we got a hint of a deeper relationship there.

Shit. This one also flew over my head. According to good ol' Wiki, the 2002 Eastern Sectionals were in Pittsburgh. (It's funny that we don't have a date but we have the location.) Oh, well. I'm guessing JJ's referring to University of Delaware Figure Skating Club, which has hosted this event in 1993 and again in 2010. *shrugs* Eh, it doesn't make that big of a difference if they hosted them in 2002, as well.

It's a shame though- Pittsburgh is a pretty cool town. Not sure I can see JJ scarfing down on Primanti Bros., though. At the same time, you're putting JJ squarely in Johnny Weir's territory so the "artistic liberty" works here.

As for JJ and Alex, JJ really is the perfect Virginal Princess for him. At least until Alex decides it's time to procreate.

Actually, you had originally told me they were in Pittsburgh, but the Eastern Sectionals were held in Ashton, PA.  The 2003 Eastern Sectionals ran from November 13-16, 2002.   So you were wrong, and I fixed it. :P

If you would have pointed it out, I would have still left it as freeway.  It's entirely reasonable that Zach would adapt to the culture in California rather quickly, especially since his boyfriend is from there, and he doesn't really like Ohio all that much...so he's not like Gathan, where he's embraced the Midwestern culture.  I think Zach is quite ready and able to blow off his Ohio roots and become a Californian.

Particularly since we have both highways and freeways here, and they aren't always interchangeable (highway 99 springs to mind of something that might be referred to as a freeway). Context would be important.

• Like 1

Actually, you had originally told me they were in Pittsburgh, but the Eastern Sectionals were held in Ashton, PA.  The 2003 Eastern Sectionals ran from November 13-16, 2002.   So you were wrong, and I fixed it. :P

Well, that's good to know. Although this means we have change JJ going to the Trophee Lalique in Paris. Damn. JJ in Paris seems like it would have been an orgy of shopping.

What a calm and easy life these people in CAP have right now.

War is around the corner and yet does nothing to influence the lives of the ultra-disconnected and drama-free.

Which makes me wonder when Mark and Company is going to spring us with more mayhem and drama. These peoples lives are kind of boring right now.

• Like 1

What a calm and easy life these people in CAP have right now.

War is around the corner and yet does nothing to influence the lives of the ultra-disconnected and drama-free.

Which makes me wonder when Mark and Company is going to spring us with more mayhem and drama. These peoples lives are kind of boring right now.

While the uber rich do live different lives to the rest of us, all of this drama-free time from Mark is setting things up for some major drama ahead.

Matt is heading off to Sydney and will undoubtedly end up in some sort of trouble with Hammer (dirty play on or off the field???).

JJ and Alex are about to become a problem for Wade, Brad and everyone else. And if Will is off the "whore" list, who will take on that role? Maybe Brad - that way he can continue on his collection of guys Matt has been with  :o

Zach will have his father in Hawaii and that doesn't bode well (would Wally be stupid enough to argue with Zach and out him accidentally? well yes Wally actually is that sort of an idiot with Zach)

What has happened with Zach's injury? Will he do something stupid like play injured and get in serious trouble?

Brad and Sean are "just friends" and feelings are not allowed - warning bells there. Although Brad, Sean and Cam would be a hot threesome

Brad, Cody and Kevin still seems to be hanging in the air unresolved.

And thats only the bits I have been paying attention to… Mark has a habit of bringing back bits from the past books (Matt's HIV status issues for example). Who knows what else he might have up his sleeve?

Boring - maybe. Calm before the storm - definitely 

Edited by Bucket1
  • Like 2

Zach will have his father in Hawaii and that doesn't bode well (would Wally be stupid enough to argue with Zach and out him accidentally? well yes Wally actually is that sort of an idiot with Zach)

great list Bucket, but I'm not sure Wally knows Zach is gay. He may suspect it or fear it, but I'm quite certain Zach still isn't out to his parents. I think Wally's 'official' opinion is that Zach should stay away from Will so as not to be wrongly accused of being gay.

Of course, he may still argue with Zach and run the risk of outing him, but I have faith in Zach's ability to stay cool. After all, he can easily use the argument that if Wally doesn't shut up, he is the one creating the risk of Zach coming under suspicion. And since I assume Wally still want his son to be a successful football player (in spite of all he does to ruin it), this should be an effective deterrent.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

great list Bucket, but I'm not sure Wally knows Zach is gay. He may suspect it or fear it, but I'm quite certain Zach still isn't out to his parents. I think Wally's 'official' opinion is that Zach should stay away from Will so as not to be wrongly accused of being gay.

Of course, he may still argue with Zach and run the risk of outing him, but I have faith in Zach's ability to stay cool. After all, he can easily use the argument that if Wally doesn't shut up, he is the one creating the risk of Zach coming under suspicion. And since I assume Wally still want his son to be a successful football player (in sprite of all he does to ruin it), this should be an effective deterrent.

You might be right about Wally not knowing - the communication between him and Zach isn't exactly the best and the arguments have been about Will's bad influence (i.e. rebellion and Zach's independence) and not about all the sex they are having.

I think the Wally/Zach argument is almost guaranteed - it could be about absolutely anything but the blow up will happen. I could see Wally telling Zach to play while he "only has a sprain" and then blaming Zach for making the injury worse. The question about whether Wally does actually want Zach to succeed or not is an interesting one - succeed but on Wally's terms?  He could still raise Will as an issue and the outing could be collateral damage.

Parents - can't live with them, can't bury them at the bottom of the garden.

• Like 3

I could see Wally telling Zach to play while he "only has a sprain" and then blaming Zach for making the injury worse.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. It completely highlights the difference between Frank, who has warned Zach about playing too early and aggravating the injury, and Wally who seems to be most concerned with making a good impression in the short-term.

Still laughing at this! :worship:  :gikkle:

• Like 3

I think in this case, given the Crampton/Shulter/Hayes family history, the garden may not be out of the question. I am picturing under some grand memorial to Robbie in a botanical garden in Claremont.

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..