Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Yeah, I don't really see how Will's been that major of a narrator so far. He's not- compare this story to the plot of 9/11, where Will started off the major family conflict, or Paternity, where Will dragged the entire family into a major conflict. Will's issues and problems are largely settled at this point for now- he's fixed his relationships with his father, got rid of his cancerous relationship with Tony, and is settled into a good relationship with Zach. (Although that has its problems as well.) That might be the source of some conflict, but the real conflict here is pretty much all about Zach and his need to get himself through to a big career while staying firmly locked in the closet.

As for Brad, I thought it was funny that someone thought he was Cam's dad. Hasn't it been like a running thread in CAP ever since Brad's kids grew up that Brad could still pass for like 27 or something? He's supposed to have aged in like Rob Lowe years. Maybe it was the way Brad was carrying himself, instead of his actual face, because Brad supposedly has nary a grey hair nor wrinkle in sight. Unless the stress of losing Robbie aged him a little bit from the days when people were marveling at how young and ageless Brad was back in 1999/2000, and Brad looks closer to his actual age.

I've always looked really young for my age, but recently my real age has started to reflect in the mirror. I kind of chalk that up to the stress of grad school, because after grad school, I didn't get the "you still look 16!" comments anymore. Now the youngest I can pass for might be 24 or so, especially when I don't shave. I still get carded everywhere which is annoying but I figure that'll stop in a few years. So it makes me wonder if Brad's age is starting to creep into his looks, just a little bit.

Maybe it's just that because Brad doesn't look 22 anymore, and looks more like he's in his early 30's, he looks "old" to the guy and therefore "old guy with young guy" = parent. I once asked this guy if he was my friend's father (I think he was an uncle in his early/mid-30's) and he freaked out. Although in his case he looked like a very hard-lived 35.

Anyway, back over to JJ...I think this counts as JJ's first big podium finish for an international senior competition, and it starts off his 2002-2003 season pretty damn well. I thought Mark did a great job of writing in the tension and feel of that. I also like the foreshadowing here, about how JJ's a headcase who chokes when he's not focused, which means that he'll probably hit a major blunder ala Jeremy Abbott when his deal with Alex inevitably falls apart.

• Like 3

Interesting speculation on appearance of Brad's aging.  I should think that the death of Robbie probably did age him a bit.  If not in his actual facial appearance, then perhaps in the body language of how he carries himself.  I suspect he is a bit more aloof and looks a bit more calculating, no longer presenting the picture of the young and rich playboy. Mannerism can make you look older too. 

Everyone seems to think that Alex and JJ will wind up in bed and while that may happen, I see JJ using Alex more as someone worthy to impress and thus help him focus.  JJ is a snob and appreciates class which Alex has in spades.  We all look for validation and JJ certainly hasn't gotten that from his father who barely follows his career.  

• Like 5

And while Tiff may prop him up and support him emotionally as well as in capacity as his coach, it just ain't the same as having a parent stand behind you!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 3

On the other hand, I don't think JJ would want Brad anywhere near his career. JJ's probably not exactly shouting it from the rooftops that he's from an incredibly rich family with a powerful openly gay dad. Not exactly the Disney-friendly image JJ is expected to project.

As JJ put it, to have Brad really love you, there's a big price you pay for it, and it's not really one JJ wants to pay. I think he prefers Brad as the general hands-off father he normally is.

• Like 2

On the other hand, I don't think JJ would want Brad anywhere near his career. JJ's probably not exactly shouting it from the rooftops that he's from an incredibly rich family with a powerful openly gay dad. Not exactly the Disney-friendly image JJ is expected to project.

As JJ put it, to have Brad really love you, there's a big price you pay for it, and it's not really one JJ wants to pay. I think he prefers Brad as the general hands-off father he normally is.

I think JJ is quite conflicted about this.  Intellectually he likes the detachment, emotionally he craves the attention.

Edited by Bucket1
  • Like 5

I think the family's power, wealth, and prestige would offset their gayness, especially in Brad's case.  It's amazing how that can overcome homophobia.  -_- Your second point, that Brad's love comes with a hefty price tag, is probably a more realistic reason for JJ to keep some distance from Brad.

• Like 1

I still get carded everywhere which is annoying but I figure that'll stop in a few years. So it makes me wonder if Brad's age is starting to creep into his looks, just a little bit.

Don't count on it, hon. Most places will card for the sake of carding. It's a regular occurrence for me and, while I could probably pass for 30-something, I definitely don't look like a teen.

On the subject of age perceptions, I find it interesting that Steph, who is self-conscious about his own age, is referred to as Will's grandfather, as opposed to his uncle which is equally valid but a lot less aging. Actually, that brings to mind another question: does Brad consider Steph to be a father at this point?

I think the family's power, wealth, and prestige would offset their gayness, especially in Brad's case.  It's amazing how that can overcome homophobia.  -_- Your second point, that Brad's love comes with a hefty price tag, is probably a more realistic reason for JJ to keep some distance from Brad.

Right, but I doubt JJ's future puff pieces are going to mention Brad or show him on the family jet. I don't think JJ will exactly flaunt who his dad is, and I don't think JJ will want people digging into his family history and then hit upon the story of exactly how he was conceived. I think it'd be understood who his family is and what kind of wealth he comes from, but something that's kept kind of mum in favor of showing JJ going on cookie factory dates with an USFSA-Approved Sweetheart. (This really happened with Evan Lysacek, who was packaged as the All-American Sweetheart to contrast with Johnny Weir when it became clear that Evan was the only American who could beat Johnny.)

But yeah, in any event, I think JJ probably doesn't want Brad interfering in his life, after seeing what it was like for Robbie and then Will.

Edited by methodwriter85

But yeah, in any event, I think JJ probably doesn't want Brad interfering in his life, after seeing what it was like for Robbie and then Will. Quote from Methodwriter.

Interesting. I never would of thought of Brad as "interfering" with Robbie's life. I find this premise really, really surprising.

• Like 1

Not so much "interfering", but getting himself overly involved. Probably more on Will's side than Robbie's side, but in any event, when Brad really loves you, he tries to control you.

I would generally agree that Brad has control issues....but I would say that Robbie's sexual needs and need for periodic, often romantic affairs, controlled Robbie...way more than Brad ever did.

• Like 2

Right, but I doubt JJ's future puff pieces are going to mention Brad or show him on the family jet. I don't think JJ will exactly flaunt who his dad is, and I don't think JJ will want people digging into his family history and then hit upon the story of exactly how he was conceived. I think it'd be understood who his family is and what kind of wealth he comes from, but something that's kept kind of mum in favor of showing JJ going on cookie factory dates with an USFSA-Approved Sweetheart. (This really happened with Evan Lysacek, who was packaged as the All-American Sweetheart to contrast with Johnny Weir when it became clear that Evan was the only American who could beat Johnny.)

But yeah, in any event, I think JJ probably doesn't want Brad interfering in his life, after seeing what it was like for Robbie and then Will.

I disagree.  JJ can't come from a family that wealthy, powerful, and well-known and then pretend he's not one of them.  If nothing else, the fact that Stef is (considered to be) his grandfather will make that impossible.  I think JJ will be under some pressure, however, to assert his own heterosexuality to avoid being lumped in with his other gay relatives. 

• Like 2

I disagree.  JJ can't come from a family that wealthy, powerful, and well-known and then pretend he's not one of them.  If nothing else, the fact that Stef is (considered to be) his grandfather will make that impossible.  I think JJ will be under some pressure, however, to assert his own heterosexuality to avoid being lumped in with his other gay relatives. 

I'm not saying he's going to pretend he's not one of them. I'm saying that he's going to keep that on the DL, to use an emerging slang word of the early 2000's. He sure as hell isn't going to introduce his dad and his dad's latest lover on their family jet for some puff piece about his life.

As for JJ's sexuality, I think he'll probably keep to the company line of, "Oh, I'm just too busy to even think about settling down with the right girl!" He's lucky that at this point, he's not under intense scrutiny, which will probably change if he stays elite going up to 2006.

As for JJ's sexuality, I think he'll probably keep to the company line of, "Oh, I'm just too busy to even think about settling down with the right girl!" He's lucky that at this point, he's not under intense scrutiny, which will probably change if he stays elite going up to 2006.

Except for the fact that ANY kid that has used that line on moms and active dads around the world recognie that as code words for "I'm gay and I am not ready to tell anyone".

My mom knew (dad was clueless). Could of been the fact I was a happy and smiling when my "friend" came over.

My probation officer knew when she asked if I had a girlfriend and I used the line of "with my legal problems and being a Senior in high school, I'm just not available to date blah blah yada yada." She just rolled her eyes at me.

My high school guidance counselor knew when he asked about how I was adjusting with the whole freaking school knowing about my issues and he asked if i was dating anyone. And yes, he said anyone, NOT asked about dating a girl. Apparently his youngest son is gay.

Etc etc.

Edited by mmike1969
  • Like 1

I "liked" this comment in the forum but while I accept that this is most likely true, I actually don't like it at all. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but this is a crap way to live your life. I do not envy either Zach or JJ.

• Like 3

Except for the fact that ANY kid that has used that line on moms and active dads around the world recognie that as code words for "I'm gay and I am not ready to tell anyone".

Well, true, but in terms of JJ's p.r. (where interest in his image is probably going to start picking up if his season continues going this way), it works. It's not that you can't be gay, or in JJ's case, not-straight. You just can't be OPENLY that way. It seriously boggles my mind that Rudy Galindo became the first openly gay American elite figure skater in 1996, and NOBODY followed him. Johnny Weir is essentially retired, and Evan Lysacek has kept his mouth shut and hid behind Vera Wang. All of the openly gay figure skaters I can think of came out after they stopped competing, especially the ones that were on the international elite level. Here's a 2002 article with Rudy:

So, They're all gay, right?

It's an interesting read- especially since it's contemporary to JJ's era of figure skating. In any event, JJ can get away with playing the coy game, especially because American figure skaters are expected to be perfect little sexless Disney figurines, anyway.

That's contrasted with Zach, who basically had to either be a manwhore thinking of guys when he fucked groupies, or play the Christian card, because that football jock world is so over-sexed that you can't really play the coy game there. There has to be a reason why you're not taking advantage of the women throwing themselves at you. JJ doesn't really have to come up with a reason, because he's expected to be a good little boy who wouldn't even think of engaging in pre-marital sex.

Which again...wow, JJ really is perfect for Alex, isn't he? He very much knows how to play the Virgin because he has to for his public image.

On another note, it makes me wonder how JJ views the Russians- this was a pretty dominant era for male figure skaters from Russia, with Alexei and of course, Plushenko. He probably worships them. Although hopefully not to the point that Johnny Weir did/does.  (Seriously, the guy has like a Russian fetish.) Does JJ get all fanboy over any other figure skaters, or no? I can't actually remember him gushing over the figure skaters he looks up to.

Anyway, in terms of slanguage...it looks like Will's an early adopter of saying "fail." It was to the point where I wondered if that was anachronistic, but I found this post from Urban Dictionary dated 2003:

Fail

either an interjection used when one disapproves of something, or a verb meaning approximately the same thing as the slang form of suck.
1] "you actually bought that? FAIL"

2] "this movie fails."

by jack July 22, 2003

I can buy Will picking up a lot of newer, obscure slang being that he's a worldly kid from California, and 2003 is very close to 2002, so eh, I didn't ding that one. It'd be different if, for example, Will said something like he "Facebooked" or "Tweeted" someone, which are very tied into 2003-2004 and 2007-2008, respectively. "Googled" should be one new term that should be picking up steam right about now in the final quarter of 2002.

Overall, I liked that the 9/11 Memorial was there, but it wasn't a big focus, because they're moving on with their lives.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Most people seem to have interpreted JJ's actions in bringing Rosa to Boston as being sweet and caring. I think JJ definitely does care about Rosa, but I think his prime motive was less charitable. I think he wanted someone he could rely on to take care of his food needs, so he solved the problem. That's why he wasn't all that into Wade and Matt's comments about her being a nurturing person. In JJ's mind, she's a very important servant, but she's still a servant.

Yeah, I don't think JJ was being sweet- I think he was being practical and figuring that it was the best solution to the problem of, "Who can I get that will cook my poached salmon and grilled veggies to perfection so I don't have to order take-out and ruin my diet?"

I think overall this generation of teenagers really don't show themselves as being that close to "the help"...they care but they're not shown like surrogate mothers/family members, the way it was for JP and Vella. Tiffany doesn't really count because she came into JJ's life as Jeanine's girlfriend/partner, and I thought we'd see that with Tischia and Will but she disappeared pretty quickly. It doesn't seem like anybody's had a bodyguard since 9/11 at least, the teens at least.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't think JJ was being sweet- I think he was being practical and figuring that it was the best solution to the problem of, "Who can I get that will cook my poached salmon and grilled veggies to perfection so I don't have to order take-out and ruin my diet?"

I think overall this generation of teenagers really don't show themselves as being that close to "the help"...they care but they're not shown like surrogate mothers/family members, the way it was for JP and Vella. Tiffany doesn't really count because she came into JJ's life as Jeanine's girlfriend/partner, and I thought we'd see that with Tischia and Will but she disappeared pretty quickly. It doesn't seem like anybody's had a bodyguard since 9/11 at least, the teens at least.

I think you're right about "this generation" with the exception of Will.  He stepped in to help Pat out, and he's also gotten pretty close (smirk) to Pedro.  He also got pretty emotional when he moved to Palo Alto and left Rosa behind. 

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..