5 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Uhmm, I have no idea what the point is... :huh:  Care to explain?

You know how countries form voting blocs in Eurovision? Well, Belarus almost always gives its 12 points to Russia. And since Russia isn't in this year's contest, that tweet is poking fun at Belarus- represented by that woman with the blank and uncertain look.

• Like 2

Hey Tim, I just saw this video about numbers in different languages, and it touches on Danish numbers! :lol:

The video gets to Danish at minute 1:58. :)

I'll be honest, when I read the SATW comic about Danish numbers, I was still left a bit clueless. :huh: But the video did a great job explaining why 58 in danish is eight half thirds! :D 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, glitteryantlers said:

https://satwcomic.com/just-a-number

I just wonder how on earth you can learn to count like that? I can't even in German, I have to translate back and forth.

LOL, I know. But we simply learn the words for 40 (fyrre), 50 (halvtres), 60 (tres), 70 (halvfjers), 80 (firs), 90 (halvfems) as kids and never think of how they came to be like that. Very few Danes could give you the explanation in the video.

• Like 2

French has quatre-vignt which appears to be four-twenty, but means eighty. What is it with twenty?

And why don’t the French use a variant of eight/oct like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian, all the other major Romance Languages derived from Latin?

10 hours ago, droughtquake said:

French has quatre-vignt which appears to be four-twenty, but means eighty. What is it with twenty?

And why don’t the French use a variant of eight/oct like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian, all the other major Romance Languages derived from Latin?

They use Septante, Octante and Nonante in Swiss French, though.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 4:43 PM, Timothy M. said:

Oh yes, we know all about that in Scandinavia. :lol: https://satwcomic.com/eurovision-song-contest

2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Yep, Humon has already posted a Eurovision Song Contest 2017 SATW comic:2thumbs:

I have to agree with America in the Top one. "Hu" - America.   Though the comics are funny. I read a few others.

• Like 3

I see you posted a new chapter. I promise to read it tomorrow.  My brain is too hazy today to follow anything more that a paragraph or two tonight, unfortunately. 

I can't wait to see what Patrick and Peter are up to and how Michael is doing. 

• Like 4