Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Thanks, big bro.

I'm afraid people are going to be annoyed with this chapter--if I do what I'm thinking now, it's going to have more than two viewpoints, or at least multiple uses of the same one. The only way I see to avoid that is to cut the next scene and skip to school on Wednesday...but then I'd feel like Greg and Denny were getting short shrift since Jay and Mikey have the first scene.

Ideas?

Thanks, big bro.

I'm afraid people are going to be annoyed with this chapter--if I do what I'm thinking now, it's going to have more than two viewpoints, or at least multiple uses of the same one. The only way I see to avoid that is to cut the next scene and skip to school on Wednesday...but then I'd feel like Greg and Denny were getting short shrift since Jay and Mikey have the first scene.

Ideas?

You know that I happen to like multiple viewpoints, as long as they are not confusing, and yours never are. A single POV has limitations that sometimes inhibits the chapter IMO... I know that's blasphemy to some writers, and I respect that. I told my last chapter totally from Kendall's POV, and I itched a few times to let the readers know what Michael was thinking in his head... I like the give and take it allows... personally, I think some of my best chapters trade POV's back and forth.

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, you are good for my ego. :)

Just sent off the first part of Chapter 27--Quality Time, to G-Man. 2600 words. Hope he likes it.

I might leave it for morning, Buddy... my eyes are getting heavy... although I might get a second wind...

• Like 1

I'm torn now...I've sent three chapters of Jay to Nifty, and they are posted there, with a link back here so people can see the pics...but their text editor is finickier than GAs. So, I copied my chapters from the GA page, then fixed the style to conform to their wishes, and in doing a spell-check, I found a few small errors in them that slipped by me and Gary.  NOW--do I go back in the GA pages and fix them, or pretend I didn't find them?

did that go in the COTT forum by mistake ?

I'd fix them if it were me, but then I'm much too fixated on errors.

I'm torn now...I've sent three chapters of Jay to Nifty, and they are posted there, with a link back here so people can see the pics...but their text editor is finickier than GAs. So, I copied my chapters from the GA page, then fixed the style to conform to their wishes, and in doing a spell-check, I found a few small errors in them that slipped by me and Gary.  NOW--do I go back in the GA pages and fix them, or pretend I didn't find them?

I would change it if it is going to drive you crazy not changing it.  

It was there because it popped into my head, and I'd mentioned the story earlier for Drew...I was sure we had caught all the mistakes. Sadly, I'm a perfectionist, and it IS bugging the crap out of me. What's worse is that the later chapters are much longer, and have more potential errors in them. :(

I'm on it...just fixed Chapter 1, a spelling error.

Gary may rest easy--he didn't start being my beta reader until chapter 10--until then, all the mistakes are mine.

After that...well, hehehe.

I will take my share of responsibility, little bro :unsure:

Just sent off Chapter 6, and found only a couple things I needed to fix in the intervening chapters--I ignored my checkers warnings about some punctuation and passive voice as being too minor, and the way I used it may not be okay in formal writing, but it works fine in fiction. The Phone Call chapter with Kurt gave me hell because it was constantly flagging the -- I used to set off Kurt's end of the call; there are different ways of doing that in text, and the one I picked after researching, was the most commonly accepted...but the program hated it.  :)

I've had a few emails of feedback, all of them good and telling me to keep going...they have no way to track traffic, so I can only assume more people are reading it.

Chapter 27 is at 4,000 words...I was reading Caz' Andrew, then Adam. I had started with Buried Treasure originally but stopped when I realized it wasn't the start of the series. Catching up now.

• Like 1

Chapter 27 is posted--Gary was on the ball and sent it back already. There is a title change, I hope you guys don't mind.  It's now Rocky Road.

On a side note, if anyone out there uses Word 2003 or earlier, could you tell me the numbers entered in the Norman and Body Text templates?  Like a fool, I altered mine, and now I can't get them back without doing insane things in the Registry, when all I want is just the numbers which show up when you open it to see what they are set at--if I input those, I can save them to default and I'm all good again.

So what? There's a friggin time limit to edit your own discussion posts?! That's just insane.

I mentioned Greg's brothers and sisters, and the next oldest (at 16) is going to make a very brief appearance in Chapter 28, but I can't go back and add him to the Descriptions in that post?

I guess I'll have to do it in situ and hope I remember--but I'll add him to my chapter notes just to be safe--it's where all the other people 'hang out' when not being fictional. His name's Jeff, into basketball like their father, and is straight. Being a year younger than Greg, he's only a sophomore, and the only other family member in high school. And no--there will NOT be any hetero sex scenes in my book--it gives me nightmares just thinking about it.  :P

OH--I guess you should also know, that Chapter 28 is at 500 words, and might  be called Hard Times.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3