Some things that stuck with me in chap 3 were...

Mrs. Duta has mousey hair.... She now looks like River Song in my head thanks a lot... And no that is NOT an insult especially if she is a GOOD character we get to have pop up again and again since we THINK she is one of the owl ladies/society.

Scent - Adam is now the second wolf that we know of that caught the Fresh Water(waterfall) and Wine scent off of Colt that he hasn't been able to smell. Hello has EVERYONE forgotten how Gavin can smell Colt? It appears to be a deal of 'potential wolves' those who have a possible chance of becoming one but it still requires Colt to smell them in return which didn't happen with Adam. Some would think that it also meant that Adam was Fate checking for compatability beyond what we know worked out 5 years later when Colt smelled Prime. Another way to think about it is the 'purity' issue whatever the REAL rules are about that we have no bloody clue but Adam surely is FAR from pure since he's penetrated many and this might have meant that his Alpha scent wasn't enough to trigger/activate Colt's own ability to scent him and others. While talking about scents there was one other oddity Colt smelled Burnt Surgar and to the best of my knowledge we haven't smelled Surgar from anyone. So what is that linked to....  Oh I forgot to mention that Colt's scent was driving Prime and company nuts not being able to be with him.... Maybe it was driving Adam mad for YEARS which led to him becoming Rouge in the first place...

Owls - So we have a two fold owl deal here. One of you had to catch that Colt called Mrs Duta a OLD OWL... Mrs. Duta is the teacher that we know gives Colt the Owl Statue that seemed so important in "Hanging" and in Origins Chapter 2. He said that it was given to him as she knew he would make her proud one day. Now one would assume that this would happen at the end of his course with her.  Then we have the Time Manipulation events. It happened to save Colt from the rape but we have absolutely no mention or knowledge of the statue being in his room at ALL yet. Add on top of that that TIme Manipulation that we ran into while reading the books was during the Origins Arizona Battle where Colt killed Adam in which the statue was back in the van inside Colt's box. So it wasn't even on him or near him in the open. So did the statue really have anything to do with the Time Manipulation or was it something or someone else....

Memories vs Visions - Every Vision in this chapter felt different from the ones we had in Chapters 1 and 2... Obviously they fell in line with the events of what we all consider to be the 'real timeline' which lends even more push for them to be Memories and the Vamp Colt to be Visions. During my first reread of Meta I noted the 'dark haired guy behind Colt' in the first class and first thought he was CE but then discounted that and figured it would be someone important later on... NOW we know it was Adam who was there... Adam and Prime both had to have smelled one another being wolf and in the class but given it was a Neutral Zone didn't do anything about it... What was Adam doing there? Was he stalking Colt, checking up on Colt or what? He had a class textbook but wasn't ever seen again until Origins? Anyone else notice that each memory visited weren't exactly his 'pleasant' memories and linked to the guy Colt considered his Nemisis before MaryAnn?

Wolf Speed - Colt grew up around Adam and whatever other wolves were at his school. In the memories he noted a couple times movement that was faster than normal but then 5 years later when Colt met Prime, CE and Brian he had 'never encountered' such speed before... Maybe its because he hasn't knowningly been around Adam since he graduated that he overlooked it...

Mental Space - It is really interesting that Colt is able to remember the Vamp Visions/Time clearly while everything else from what we consider the Real TIme is clouded in his mind whenever he is in that space with MaryAnn yet while within the Real Time Vision/Memory he is able to recall everything and everyone perfectly. This I think I'd attribute to MaryAnn frelling around with his head trying to convice him and cloud his thoughts... I do really like as others have stated that Colt regrets CE's Vamp Time death even when he can't place who CE is or why he is important to him. This points to there being more to his bond than a scent addiction.

Edited by PkCrichton
  • Like 1

I thought about Adam smelling him too. Since Colt didn't smell him (anything out of the ordinary that is...), my romantic side kicked in. Not that what happened to Colt was romantic, but if his wine scent is a sign of attraction and not just an incentive to ensure 'roid transference will occur, then couldn't the pack smelling him be based on attraction too?

Maybe Colt smells that way to wolves who are drawn to him?

Maybe...but I thought that Adam had to be convinced to go after Colt?  I didn't get the impression (from earlier chapters) that Adam was attracted to Colt.  Unless he was lying to himself ... and the person who sent him. 

Sometimes I wish I came to the forum first. Things make so much more sense than what's rattling in my head! 

• Like 1

My theory on Gavin is that he could be part of the inner circle (even if it's full right now. Or?), but he's too young and therefore Colt can't smell him. Later, Colt can't smell him since the IC is full.

Burnt sugar... Isn't that what the cop wolf attacking Colt smelled like? Is it a shadowing smell? But there was no mention of it during MaryAnn's shadowing of Prime.

The owl powers seem to kick in when Colt or someone he loves is in accute danger. I don't think he needs the statue near him to use it. It's more of a symbol. Remember, he wasn't even present during the Alpha fight with Luke, still the owl hooted and time shifted. I'm sure he didn't bring the statue to that hotel.

Also, I don't think Adam was there in class. Colt would surely remember Adam if he had been sitting behind him. That's a mind trick from MA.

Edited by Puppilull
  • Like 3

Here is the thing with Adam. All our previous encounters with him were 'post rape'. Colt had already turned any positive scent draw into anger. On top of that his scent was driving his own wolves crazy until they were 'accepted' by him. So to have that scent around him for years would piss off an alpha pup like Adam even more.

Now you add on top of that that at some point a 'lady' went to Adam and got him to start spying/informing on Colt. We don't know if this happened before the attempted rape or not. Here is another side to this though maybe the lady knew Adam would catch Colt's scent and wanted to know if he was the destined Alpha for Colt's Meta and was trying to help set them up if he were but the Alpha in Adam was just to damned primitive and pushy leading to a rape instead of a possible bond if Colt had smelled him. So instead since he wasn't 'the one' the lady instead used him to keep tabs and get information on Colt and his actions.

And you are right the Cop/Gamma did smell of burnt sugar... hmmmmm another negative association with his normal reality

We have no clue if the owl powers are Colt's or not... lots of interesting questions there... Giovanni you just had to put the into our heads to associate it with owls....

• Like 1

In the prompt Hanging though, it seems like Adam was sent to follow Colt after the rape incident. Colt was running away too, that's when he left the owl behind.. Adam was pissed that Colt had one upped him...   ??? 

Snickering in my dirty little corner, rubbing my palms like Rumpelstiltskin.

Mean....

• Like 2

My theory on Gavin is that he could be part of the inner circle (even if it's full right now. Or?), but he's too young and therefore Colt can't smell him. Later, Colt can't smell him since the IC is full.

Also, I don't think Adam was there in class. Colt would surely remember Adam if he had been sitting behind him. That's a mind trick from MA.

Here is the question... Can MaryAnn or whatever is generating the Vamp TIme visions 'alter' his Wolf Life visions/memories? If they can then we can't trust anything from them and can't theorize on anything. Given that there was the 'white noise' I don't think that the Wolf Life visions can be altered as they stuck out as different from all the other visions.

On scents you cannot accept one wolf smelling Colt's scent and discount another. That is if it really did happen which I'm inclined to think did happen.

You really think you'd recognize someone you haven't seen 3 years later at a quick glance when they don't want you to and they look a bit different than you last saw them? Colt noted he looked familiar but at the same time he was being driven NUTS by Prime's pine scent! He couldn't think straight until forced to out of annoyance and defiance of McErickson. Noone is really giving the 'pre accepted' scent draw/addiction its due power. EVERYONE we hear from of the wolves and Colt talks about how before its acknowledged and then accepted while present drives them completely insane.

• Like 1

Here is the question... Can MaryAnn or whatever is generating the Vamp TIme visions 'alter' his Wolf Life visions/memories? If they can then we can't trust anything from them and can't theorize on anything. Given that there was the 'white noise' I don't think that the Wolf Life visions can be altered as they stuck out as different from all the other visions.

On scents you cannot accept one wolf smelling Colt's scent and discount another. That is if it really did happen which I'm inclined to think did happen.

You really think you'd recognize someone you haven't seen 3 years later at a quick glance when they don't want you to and they look a bit different than you last saw them? Colt noted he looked familiar but at the same time he was being driven NUTS by Prime's pine scent! He couldn't think straight until forced to out of annoyance and defiance of McErickson. Noone is really giving the 'pre accepted' scent draw/addiction its due power. EVERYONE we hear from of the wolves and Colt talks about how before its acknowledged and then accepted while present drives them completely insane.

We are having an argument. I'll sell tickets and popcorn (given I don't sell the story) . ;-)

• Like 1

I think I would remember someone who tried to shove his dick in my ass, especially if I knew the guy and ir wasn't a random attack. Besides, he recognised Adam the second he shifted back after the killing.

So maybe all wolves who are attracted by Colt can smell him?

My theory is MA is having a grand old time mucking about in Colt's memories, distorting them as she sees fit.

I'll just have wine, and attempt to keep up..

Maybe I need some too!

• Like 2

Interesting. I had the same argument with Tim. Whether the guy in class (first chapter) is or is not Adam; whether the initial shock of the scents to Colt's system and Adam's attempt to disguise himself would have been enough for Colt to miss it was Adam despite the painful past ...

• Like 1

In the prompt Hanging though, it seems like Adam was sent to follow Colt after the rape incident. Colt was running away too, that's when he left the owl behind.. Adam was pissed that Colt had one upped him...   ??? 

Mean....

Just went and took a look back at a few lines of Hanging and found this "He conceded he had himself to blame for this having tried to force that excuse of a human to sex; but no 15-year-old wolf shifter would say no to twenty grand."

So Adam was approached BEFORE he attempted anything with Colt... So that does paint the picture a bit differently. The lady wanted Colt deflowered... but Adam also caught Colt's scent.

So Money, Smells Colt, Alpha Pride hurt by Colt equals obsession.

• Like 2

Interesting. I had the same argument with Tim. Whether the guy in class (first chapter) is or is not Adam; whether the initial shock of the scents to Colt's system and Adam's attempt to disguise himself would have been enough for Colt to miss it was Adam despite the painful past ...

But in M1, the guy Colt vaguely recognises doesn't sound very disguised. If it was Adam, it sounds like he hasn't changed a bit. They even look at each other. After being stared at for a while before the rape and then living 1,5 years in fear of having his bluff called, that dace and those eyes would be pretty much etched on his retinas.

So we have a few debates.

Does Adam catch Colt's Scents or is it just a wine smell in the house coupled with freshly showered Colt.

• Adam makes no mention of a scent in Hanging
  • In the 'memory' Adam can taste the wine scent on Colt's skin.
  • We only ever hear about Beer and Cigarettes in the Parker House. Never a mention of Wine

Would Colt recognize Adam in Class when first ASSAULTED by Prime's Scent.

• When anyone is first encountered with the scent they can barely deal with it unless something forces their mind to focus. They can't even deal with scent once they know who its coming from unless they acknowledge why its there.
    • Case in point the first 2 chapters of Meta
    • Isaac's reactions to the smell
    • Colt's reaction to smelling Isaac
    • Leo's reaction to smelling Colt
    • Colt's reactions to smelling Leo
    • Warren's reaction to smelling Colt

Is MaryAnn or whatever force able to alter Wolf Time Memories?

• We catch more detail on the first McErickson Class than we did in Meta Chapter 1.
  • The other previously seen events playout virtually line for line the same.

I think you are missing one detail ...

oops.

I haven't written about that yet.

As you were!

JAR is officially Rumple mixed with the Author!

Mean Meta Author!

• Like 2

Colt would never allow the stink of that place to stick to him.

True. He does have a love affair with soap. And not only because of Brian. That leads me to another story in his past ... Oops not told yet. Back in my dirty corner with pancakes. Edited by JohnAR
  • Like 1

Burnt sugar... Isn't that what the cop wolf attacking Colt smelled like? Is it a shadowing smell? But there was no mention of it during MaryAnn's shadowing of Prime.

The owl powers seem to kick in when Colt or someone he loves is in accute danger. I don't think he needs the statue near him to use it. It's more of a symbol. Remember, he wasn't even present during the Alpha fight with Luke, still the owl hooted and time shifted. I'm sure he didn't bring the statue to that hotel.

I agree with your theory about Gavin.  

I just can't imagine Adam changing himself enough for Colt not to recognize him.  No one would forget their rapist without some extenuating circumstances,  I would say that Colt blocked out the entire experience, but he knew Adam the second he shifted back to human so that can't be it.  

I think Colt has the powers that the owl ladies seem to have but has no idea he has them.  

I can't understand why Mrs. Duta would push Adam at Colt, after Prime had already been ousted from his pack and the meeting between Prime and his Alpha seemed to have been set in motion.  

• Like 1

Again, forced to focus would be me meeting my rapist arch enemy. If he can focus on answering questions by McEricksson, I would expect something like that to break through the haze of scents.

But I guess time will tell. Or JAR, in this case. Hopefully. I'm still not sure it won't go all Lynch on us... :)

I can't understand why Mrs. Duta would push Adam at Colt, after Prime had already been ousted from his pack and the meeting between Prime and his Alpha seemed to have been set in motion.

Maybe to set those powers free? Or a test to see if he really is Meta?

True. He does have a live affair with soap. And not only because of Brian. That leads me to another story in his past ... Oops not told yet. Back in my dirty corner with pancakes.

I had a sudden image of you...and marines and maple syrup :P

• Like 2

Maybe to set those powers free? Or a test to see if he really is Meta?

Maybe..fate, and these ladies, don't seem to have any shame about who gets hurt in their schemes so maybe forcing Colt to access his powers by saving himself from rape worked for them. 

Ok I'll chime in on the 'why Mrs. Duta would get him to tutor'.

If you look back at 'Hanging' you will see Adam mentally take credit for tricking Mrs. Duta into getting Colt to tutor him so that he could seduce him more easily since he would have a real reason to be alone with him.

In Deaths 3 it only looks like it is her idea since she first has a barely heard bad conversation with Adam who isn't doing well and then aproaches Colt saying Adam is willing and it would help the school etc...