This one is well worth the visit

Actually, I wasnt offended...I just thought it was gay. Maybe you have to be old to like it.
<br/>you know, there is a difference between calling something you find bad 'gay' and making fun of a religion.<br/>someone's sexuality is not a personal choice, religion (after a certain age) is. by using the word 'gay' negatively, one stigmatizes an immutable quality of a person. religious people can, and often do, change religions or stop completely. <br/>howie
you know, there is a difference between calling something you find bad 'gay' and making fun of a religion.

someone's sexuality is not a personal choice, religion (after a certain age) is. by using the word 'gay' negatively, one stigmatizes an immutable quality of a person. religious people can, and often do, change religions or stop completely.

howie

Howie, you have to understand that Nick calls everything 'gay'. He fully understands the dichotomy that it creates when he is one of the gayest people you will ever meet. Yes, he could probably come up with other words to describe what he is saying, but 'gay' works for him.

:king: Snow Dog

Edited by Snow Dog
<br/>

you know, there is a difference between calling something you find bad 'gay' and making fun of a religion.<br/>

someone's sexuality is not a personal choice, religion (after a certain age) is. by using the word 'gay' negatively, one stigmatizes an immutable quality of a person. religious people can, and often do, change religions or stop completely. <br/>

howie

Personally, I'm not bothered when I hear people call things gay because to be honest, I say it all the time too.....it's my choice, and I choose to call things gay. BTW, gay doesn't have to mean bad. I mean, I think it's pretty gay to assume that.

Howie, you have to understand that Nick calls everything 'gay'. He fully understands the dichotomy that it creates when he is one of the gayest people you will ever meet. Yes, he could probably come up with other words to describe what he is saying, but 'gay' works for him.

:king: Snow Dog

I could find a different word, but i don't know what word I would use...gay comes so naturally to me :)

BTW, you're right...I am one of the gayest people most people will ever meet, and I'm proud of it :king: :king: :king:

Now that was funny. Scary too, in that it almost seems possible.

Hey, everyone....it's Mark!!! :hug:

Nick! :(

:,(

**runs off to put on anti-wrinkle cream**

j/k of course, dude :boy:

Kevin

Awwww....I'm sorry Kevin :hug: ....oh well, look at the bright side, everyone :) You wont have to put up with me again until next week because we're going back to Cali :music::music::music:

Defination of a tolerant open-minded person:

"I tolerate all beliefs and am very open-minded EXCEPT in the case of Christianity."

"I preach that intolerance is wrong. However, I do not tolerate Christianity."

Personally, I'm not bothered when I hear people call things gay

i am.

Defination of a tolerant open-minded person:

"I tolerate all beliefs and am very open-minded EXCEPT in the case of Christianity."

"I preach that intolerance is wrong. However, I do not tolerate Christianity."

why do you equate being tolerant with being open-minded? i would say i (1) am extremely intolerant and (2) try to be very open-minded. when i see something that is wrong, then i fight against it. however before i fight against it, i ask myself why i find it to be wrong, if i am right in finding it wrong and if i have the problem and should change myself. 'being tolerant' aka 'putting up with' is a sign of moral bankruptcy.

howie

(edited due to automatic smilie)

i am.

why do you equate being tolerant with being open-minded? i would say i (1) am extremely intolerant and (2) try to be very open-minded. when i see something that is wrong, then i fight against it. however before i fight against it, i ask myself why i find it to be wrong, if i am right in finding it wrong and if i have the problem and should change myself. 'being tolerant' aka 'putting up with' is a sign of moral bankruptcy.

howie

(edited due to automatic smilie)

Hey Howie,

I think it's just a part of the American teen culture nowadays. I caught the very end of it, younger kids were using the expression when I was my late teens. From a sociological point of view words and expressions are constantly being redefined; this is normal and healthy for a society. The same word can mean vastly different things to a 15 year old, a 35 year old, a 55 year old, and a 75 year old. It also means different things coming from different people. A good example of this is how the word "queer" has changed meanings, and emotive value over the years. It used to be pretty derogatory, but now it's gaining more popular acceptance (Think Queer eye for the Straight Guy )and losing it's negative connotations (at least for many gays themselves). Another example is the "N word". My grandparents used the word as a perfectly harmless way to refer to people of that race, and people in their 80s and 90s of either race (in my area), were fine with the term. People in my parent's generation (people in their 50s and 60s), (not my parents to the best of my knowledge though :2thumbs: ) used the word in a derogatory fashion. Nowadays it's completely acceptable for black people to use the term with each other, and if you've got the right style and are close with the people and accepted by them, a white person might even be able to use it inoffensively.

I'm something of a prude and very careful not to offend anyone's sensibilities with my language. So I'd never try to use the "N word", I'm not especially comfortable referring to gay people as "queer", and I personally would never dream of referring to something as "gay". And yes to be completely honest with you I too wince just a little when I hear it used in that way. But that doesn't mean I think people who use the words with non-derogatory intent should be reprimanded, particularly if they happen to belong to the group in question. Believe it or not it can actually be destigmatizing for main stream society to hear minorities revitalizing a word or phrase.

It isn't really fair (IMO) for you to judge Nick's culture and generation in terms of your own. It should also be pointed out that teens of this generation are considerably more tolerant towards homosexuality than any other generation in American history. If someone in his 30s or 40s were using the phrase as such it could reasonably be inferred that they mean it in the nasty way you're taking it, but someone 13-17 might mean something entirely different.

To mangle an old quote I quite like "we are after all one people torn apart by a common language".

Anyway I personally meant no offense in any way to anyone, especially you Howie, and I sincerely hope I haven't given any. This is simply my take on things and for all I know I'm completely off base. Have an awesome day and take care everyone,

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

But that doesn't mean I think people who use the words with non-derogatory intent should be reprimanded, particularly if they happen to belong to the group in question. ...

the trouble is, he used it with derogatory intent, calling something he didn't like 'gay'.

i wonder what would happen if a sizeable proportion of society went around calling things they didn't like 'jewish' or 'black'.. "have you seen underworld evolution? it was just so jewish"

food for thought

howie

the trouble is, he used it with derogatory intent, calling something he didn't like 'gay'.

I won't argue that point myself since only Nick himself could say exactly what his intent and motives were.

i wonder what would happen if a sizeable proportion of society went around calling things they didn't like 'jewish' or 'black'.. "have you seen underworld evolution? it was just so jewish"

:lmao::lol:

That was amusing. It did remind me though that I have heard some minorities (and now that I think of it, even a few white people) refer to something as "white". Sort of like, "I can't believe you did that, that was such a white thing to do". When asked to clarify exactly what they meant by that, I've generally been given a response along the lines of, "oh I didn't really mean it as an insult to you, YOU don't act like that, I didn't even mean it as an insult to white people, I was just describing the behaviour". I don't know exactly what they meant, and again I'd probably shy away from using such a term.

I'd probably conclude though that this was some sort of socialized response/concept. Furthermore, even if it did start with derogatory intent toward that group of people, I really do believe most of the people I've heard use it didn't have any malicious intent toward white people. They may indeed have been using it in a derogatory fashion, but the word (while perhaps in some instances negatively used in and of itself) was no longer tied to the group of people it originally referred to. Largely in the minds of the people involved the word itself had lost it's symbolic value to represent the group which it originally described.

There's probably a very large degree of "disconnect" between what people really mean and think about something and what they might rationally be forced to conclude from cold, hard, unemotional, objective evidence. As far as I'm concerned though it's the intent which matters in this case. If it's said in a harmless manner, or perhaps in a joking, playful way, and is thus clearly not meant to hurt anyone. Then I'll just brush it off.

When it comes down to it words only mean what people mean by them; if they mean two different things to each of the people involved then I'd say the best course of action is to ask for clarification and accept the response they give you.

I can't speak for Nick but it seems unlikely that he'd have any reason to attack gay people, I also have a general understanding of what was meant by his usage of the word, and as I understand it there really isn't any malevolent intent toward gay people.

I do however commend you on your integrity with taking a stand for something you believe in. You're right to brazenly stand by while injustice is done does characterize moral bankruptcy. We must indeed stand up for human rights. I just don't think this particular cause is a black and white example of gay people being ridiculed. Anyway that's pretty much the extent of my personal knowledge and opinions about the matter, and again I was simply trying to describe how I saw it.

food for thought

Yes it was and I quite enjoyed thinking about it, thank you for the stimulating debate.

Anyway take care and have an awesome day :D

Kevin (who is devoid of malicious intent in this matter)

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I find it interesting to see that Nick believes that the adjective 'gay' can have positive connotations when not used directly to refer to someone's sexual orientation. I have never seen it used that way. Not to pick on Nick, but I have seen him use 'gay' in a negative context numerous times in his blog and on the message boards, and I haven't found one where it is used in a positive connotation. If the usage of the term has indeed evolved, to where you can point to something (abstract or concrete) as 'gay' (when it's not directly used in reference to someone's sexuality, as in "Elton John is gay," i.e. a homosexual) in a positive way, then I would certainly be interested to see a few examples.

Everyone has their own linguistic quirks, and Nick is certainly entitled to his, and it doesn't really offend me, although I don't find his explanation to be accurate or logical. But whatever floats your boat ... it's not something to get too riled up about ... although Nick has never been one to shy away from controversy ... hehe

Edited by LittleBuddhaTW
Holy sh*t!! ROFLMFAO!!!

This required a serious beverage alert before viewing food-smiley-024.gif.

I scared the cats, I was laughing so hard.

Kitty :D:P and definitely 0:)

Kitty, where did you find that nifty emoticon?

I think I smiled a bit while watching the clip,,,but I didn't actually laugh :blink: