On 6/27/2017 at 2:25 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Ah. :) Well, it's correct within the domain: -(π/2) < x < (π/2). Although, the function does continue beyond the asymptotes, as shown below:

Tangent_701.gif

Well duh, of course it does :blink:

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
On 7/4/2017 at 9:32 AM, Parker Owens said:

Maths, like grits, is singular,

though they seem more plural;

yet they make me tingular,

in my pathways neural. 

:rofl: 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mogwhy said:

ok i think this has something to do with math. in one of the songs i like to listen to, has the line "progress to the mean" explain this to me please

Moggy, can you give me the song title? :) I want to see the full lyrics and take in the context.

• Like 1

Okay, I looked at the lyrics, and it says "regress to the mean." This refers to a statistical concept, as wiki states:

In statistics, regression toward (or to) the mean is the phenomenon that if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on its second measurement—and if it is extreme on its second measurement, it will tend to have been closer to the average on its first.

I hope this helps. :) 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Since we're doing music videos, here's my favourite math lesson, set to music. New Math, by Tom Lehrer (one of my favourite mathematicians) 

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Since we're doing music videos, here's my favourite math lesson, set to music. New Math, by Tom Lehrer (one of my favourite mathematicians) 

One of my very favorites, too. 

• Like 1
On 7/11/2017 at 0:32 PM, northie said:

I'm going away again. As expected, really. I hardly understand a word ... :blink: :funny: :stupid:

Math is scary. I understand your inability to understand this, as I too have no idea what any of it means.

• Like 4
On 09/06/2017 at 1:41 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

I know many of you balk at Calculus...

gallery_24498_1553_3240.jpg ...but at least, in this case, you already know the answer. ;) 

Yes, that is correct, but I wish you'd included some hyperbolic functions to give some of us a chance to boast about being able to pronounce 'sinh'

Ancient former Maths teacher :-)

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I saw this on FB and immediately thought of our resident mathematicians  drew and @Parker Owens  It's fascinating, even to a non-math person :)

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-mathematical-mystery-ancient-babylonian-clay.html#

That is so cool! :D I absolutely love trig, so this news is even more awesome in my eyes!

• Love 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...