I thought it was a serviceable season premiere, but considering the last two seasons are going to be abbreviated it didn't do much to move the story forward. The show has always taken its time and dragged things out (sometimes to the point of frustration and beyond), but since we only have 13 episodes left we really don't have time to spend an hour just recapping where everyone left off last season.

I'm hoping that next episode really launches us into the conflicts within the seven kingdoms so that Westeros can get to a point that it is ready to face the White Walkers - no more navel-gazing.

(Okay, so i guess I'm more upset with the episode than I initially realized....) 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Overall, I liked the premiere, especially when Daenerys and company finally landed on Dragonstone. Seeing her kneel down to touch the sand after making landfall was a really powerful moment for me.

The Dragonstone scene was the best scene! I loved the scope and grandeur of the cinematography - it was both intimate and epic. The fact that there was no dialogue until the very end just made that much more impact.

• Like 2

@Wesley8890 Those are great! :D 

If I had one small rant about the first episode... (warning: I won't be kind. :P )

Spoiler

...It would be about Sansa. :rolleyes: She wanted to punish the children/siblings of the Houses that sided the Boltons... she reminds me of someone, but who? Oh yeah- Joffrey! Sansa, did you forget that Joffrey pointed a crossbow at you to punish you for your "traitor brother's" actions? :facepalm: I thought she would have been at least sympathetic, having gone through the same thing.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

If I had one small rant about the first episode... (warning: I won't be kind. :P )

Hide contents

...It would be about Sansa. :rolleyes: She wanted to punish the children/siblings of the Houses that sided the Boltons... she reminds me of someone, but who? Oh yeah- Joffrey! Sansa, did you forget that Joffrey pointed a crossbow at you to punish you for your "traitor brother's" actions? :facepalm: I thought she would have been at least sympathetic, having gone through the same thing.

Itrue I didn't think, she kind of went hunger games fdidnt she

On 7/19/2017 at 6:00 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I completely disagree about Sansa -- her reaction wasn't sadistic the way Joffrey or Ramsey would have been, she reacted as a leader in this world would naturally react. Power in Westeros is gained through strength and held by building a following of loyal allies to keep you there. She also wasn't advocating to slaughter the reamining members of either house, rather sshe wanted to strip them of their holdings and award them to families that were loyal to the Starks and fought with them against the Boltons. 

We can't apply our morals and ideas of social equality to the world that the show has built - it is a much harsher and fiercer world than the one we live in. If we learned anything from Ned it was that in Westeros it is a wonderful ideal to hold to your personal code of honor, but it will more often than not cost you your head.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, phoenix_0826 said:
  Hide contents

I completely disagree about Sansa -- her reaction wasn't sadistic the way Joffrey or Ramsey would have been, she reacted as a leader in this world would naturally react. Power in Westeros is gained through strength and held by building a following of loyal allies to keep you there. She also wasn't advocating to slaughter the reamining members of either house, rather sshe wanted to strip them of their holdings and award them to families that were loyal to the Starks and fought with them against the Boltons. 

We can't apply our morals and ideas of social equality to the world that the show has built - it is a much harsher and fiercer world than the one we live in. If we learned anything from Ned it was that in Westeros it is a wonderful ideal to hold to your personal code of honor, but it will more often than not cost you your head.

Spoiler

As Jon pointed out, Sansa was implying that these children were traitors, and the punishment for treason was death. Jon, of course, refused to do that. I completely support his decision- by stripping lands from the defeated Houses to and giving them to his own allies, he would only stoke further resentment, and the North does not need resentment as the threat of the White Walkers approaches ever closer.

Oh, and some fans have pointed out, Sansa completely undermined Jon's authority, which in this world the show has built, is completely dangerous. If she had concerns, she shouldn't have aired them out in front of his lords. 

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I'd love to hear what other people think of the season so far and episode three in particular. 

Spoiler

I really liked Olenna Tyrell and give her mad props for sticking it to the Lannisters even on her deathbed.  Thank goodness Jaime found out about Joffrey after he already poisoned her. 

• Like 3

I loved episode three. Cersie deserved the revenge that she exacted on Elaria. It was perfect. Myrcella was innocent in the situation. Olenna Tyrell you go girl. She had the last laugh. Also Brans home! Now we need Arya home

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
19 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I loved episode three. Cersie deserved the revenge that she exacted on Elaria. It was perfect. Myrcella was innocent in the situation. Olenna Tyrell you go girl. She had the last laugh. Also Brans home! Now we need Arya home

Although I despise Cersei, I have to admit that revenge was pretty well-deserved.  I have even more respect for Olenna Tyrell now.  Bran's homecoming was a bit strange.  We definitely need Arya back. 

11 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

This article sums up my thoughts. :) 

Great article.  I think it's spot on. :) 

• Like 1

In memory of Olenna, here's a fun fact:

Spoiler

As a young girl, Olenna was betrothed to a Targaryen Prince. Obviously, she never married him, why? Because the Prince refused to marry her because, as it turned out, he was gay! :lol: 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Although I despise Cersei, I have to admit that revenge was pretty well-deserved.  I have even more respect for Olenna Tyrell now.  Bran's homecoming was a bit strange.  We definitely need Arya back. 

Great article.  I think it's spot on. :) 

I liked the article. Brans entrance was awkward!

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I think they're right about one of the dragons dying.  They're definitely playing up the whole "dragons are not invincible" thing.  

• Like 3