Brainstorming Site Features for Authors

• Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I would have to renumber all the following stories in the series.

I'm looking at options to use Drag and Drop ordering.  The system has the feature as that's how Forums are set up.  It'll be a case of leveraging the function for the front end.

The general concept I'm contemplating is an "Add" menu that is "Add Story, Add World and Add Series".  The Add story would be the same as now.  But Add World and Add Series would be like a stripped down version of Add Story.  Where you'd add the name, description, artwork, etc.  And then you'd be able to add stories and move those stories around to order them.  

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
17 hours ago, Graeme said:

current chapter end note box is not always big enough

I've increased the size limit from 1000 to 2500 characters 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Myr said:

I know there are limits on the Story Description page as well (I've hit them a time or two, lol). Is this the same limit? Meaning 1000 characters, and if possible, is there a widget that can show the limit and what is used?

• Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Myr said:

Hey, I thought this was a brainstorming thread, not a solutions thread! :P0:)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
8 hours ago, Graeme said:

I thought this was a brainstorming thread, not a solutions thread!

Oops. I'll put it back. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe a way to (more easily?) tie together the various discussion areas relating to a story.  At the moment there’s the story comments, per-chapter comments, and (if you make it) a story discussion thread, all of which are about (theoretically) the same thing, and none of them are easily linked together.  So for example, maybe the story comments could auto-link to the story discussion thread and not exist in their own bubble?

Edited by Sam Wyer
Spell, grammar, typing, the whole thing :)
  • Like 3

I keep wondering why we have this sentence in the author headers at the top of our story lists:

• No website available

Does anyone actually have a link to a personal website ?

Couldn't that space be used for some more relevant info ?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I keep wondering why we have this sentence in the author headers at the top of our story lists:

• No website available

Does anyone actually have a link to a personal website ?

Couldn't that space be used for some more relevant info ?

Website field on your Profile page populates there, and I had a wiki for my SciFi story that I had linked there for a while.

Though, I think it would be cool to be able to link to other things, like a Forum Topic, or a GA blog.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
10 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Though, I think it would be cool to be able to link to other things, like a Forum Topic, or a GA blog.

What's stopping you? 

• Like 3

I would like to see a feature so you can tag a comment on a story 'answered'. I have just found some really old comments that I had got the notification for and thought 'i'll answer that later' then forgotten because the notification had gone and I had answered so many other comments the new comments had fallen off the bottom of my new comments list in the activity thread.

If we can tag comments Un/answered, we could then have an option for showing all unanswered comments.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Myr said:

What's stopping you? 

:blink: Not knowing it was possible  :lol: 

I'll give it a try immediately.

Yay, it worked :2thumbs:

41 minutes ago, Caz Pedroso said:

If we can tag comments Un/answered, we could then have an option for showing all unanswered comments.  

I love this idea, Caz.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

Separate the reaction system to where Reactions on Stories (Front Page, and Chapters) is calculated apart from the rest of the GA website.

Have two Reputation Levels that you only see for Authors, Poets, and Editors.

Level A - Community - Reputation from the Full Website Minus Stories as suggested above.

Level B - Authorship - Reputation from Stories (Front Page, and Chapters) Only.

Moderation is based on Level B.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

Separate the reaction system to where Reactions on Stories (Front Page, and Chapters) is calculated apart from the rest of the GA website.

I like this, but it should also count likes for comments and reviews which are left on stories, since I'd want to reward those readers who give feedback - including authors who reply to comments.

However, I'm not sure it's technically feasible, and do we really want a two tier rep system ? But I do like the idea of giving authors extra credit for having popular stories.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback.  I'm going to close this up now.  I'll post some topics in the future to discuss features we are planning and get further feedback on those features then.

• Like 2