7 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

The praying mantis is an awesome predator. I watched one snatch wasps out of mid-flight with regularity.

Yes a learning experience for all.

"Mommy why is that one creature climbing over the other?"

"Well Billy when one ungodly abomination loves another they do a special dance and the mommy decides to end it with eating the daddies head. (Snap crunch) like that."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK so I just remembered something horrible and if you ever do put mantis demons in, one has to be infected with a parasite demon like some mantis have a horsehair parasite. Watching one come out will ruin your night. It's such a twist fight

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Hellsheild said:

OK so I just remembered something horrible and if you ever do put mantis demons in, one has to be infected with a parasite demon like some mantis have a horsehair parasite. Watching one come out will ruin your night. It's such a twist fight

I believe I already have my demon concepts set in stone, but I will consider that for other horrific stories in the future. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Cynus said:

Ah... yes, I can see how having a demon tattoo would be a bit of a turn off, then. :D In my case, I think most of my past relationships probably consider me the seriously disturbed one. I mean, you've all only had a small glimpse into my psyche through my stories, lol!

With some popcorn I’ll sit and explore it for awhile. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Cynus said:

Well, I'll ask you guys a question, because I'm curious what you think. Do you feel either of Styx' parents have been introduced, or not yet? If you do, who do you think they are? :)

I am not sure,would need to know if the parents know about his tattoo. If so, unless they are completely heartless I would exclude both Dogo and Salidar (they are brutal, but don't seem heartless so far), as I don't see Salidar sending his son knowingly to the pits, and the same to the Dogo, even under Salidar's orders we could have been a bit "slow" and let Styx go after he recovered the goods. Although Fasha is a possibility, he was not involved directly in sending Styx to the gladiators, and I don't think he would defy Salidar. First I. Thought about Grim, but being so old he would be more a grand-grand-grandparent.

9 hours ago, Cynus said:

Oh! Here's a cool question! But I should probably save it after the next chapter posts.... nah, I could always ask it again.

Of the characters currently in the story, who is your favorite? Who do you want to know more about (I'm pretty certain you get to know more about all of them)?

That is a hard question. If it was a game my favorites would be witty but careful Styx, and the caring but tactless Max, cause I am always a mage, and I am very curious about their power.

However I really want to know more about Grim, you have build a group of very intriguing characters so far, like Fasha and Dogo, but they extent of power and life of Grim, and what is he looking for, is the most intriguing so far.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Sweetlion said:

I am not sure,would need to know if the parents know about his tattoo. If so, unless they are completely heartless I would exclude both Dogo and Salidar (they are brutal, but don't seem heartless so far), as I don't see Salidar sending his son knowingly to the pits, and the same to the Dogo, even under Salidar's orders we could have been a bit "slow" and let Styx go after he recovered the goods. Although Fasha is a possibility, he was not involved directly in sending Styx to the gladiators, and I don't think he would defy Salidar. First I. Thought about Grim, but being so old he would be more a grand-grand-grandparent.

That is a hard question. If it was a game my favorites would be witty but careful Styx, and the caring but tactless Max, cause I am always a mage, and I am very curious about their power.

However I really want to know more about Grim, you have build a group of very intriguing characters so far, like Fasha and Dogo, but they extent of power and life of Grim, and what is he looking for, is the most intriguing so far.

While this should also not be seen as an endorsement of Grim's position in things, I will point out that Grim did not appear to be physically old. if anything, he would appear somewhat "ageless". At least, that was the feel I was going for in his initial description. So, who knows how that affects his ability to raise children? (I mean, I DO, but that's hardly relevant, is it? :P)

I like your thoughts on everyone else concerned, too.

Your feelings on Styx and Max indicate to me that I portrayed their personalities the way I wanted to, and that makes me happy.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, drpaladin said:

With the power Grim possesses, he surely could have saved Hurr if he had chosen to. Consider that modern doctors revive the clinically dead as a matter of course. Is this restriction by personal choice or a rule followed by his people?

Anybody want to weigh in on this? :)

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
9 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

I thought it was follow what is to be. Don’t interfere with the order of things.

If you go far along that line, why save anyone? The Fedain are interfering.

Perhaps there were some bad experiences in the Fedain past from such attempts, people brought back not whole.

• Like 3
Just now, drpaladin said:

If you go far along that line, why save anyone? The Fedain are interfering.

Perhaps there were some bad experiences in the Fedain past from such attempts, people brought back not whole.

Exactly! Then you get into dark magic and forces.

• Like 2

I'll revisit this later, once the Fedain ability is explained in more detail. I think I know how to answer it appropriately, but it could constitute spoilers (albeit minor ones) at this point. :)

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Grim also said he is able to affect living things. Once the spark of life is gone from flesh, so is the ability to manipulate it.

Ah! So that bit is included! Good observation!

I think that gives me grounds to talk about it then. Yes, so it's the life force itself which Grim manipulates, and if that's gone (for instance, if someone dies "on the table" before getting to him) he can't do anything.

There is a second reason, too, and that I will save for later.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I found the demon's poison interesting in that it wasn't a paralytic. It seemed to be affecting the oxygen transfer to the blood.

Yes! :) I wanted to go for something uniquely damaging for the poison, something which would baffle healers with limited medical knowledge. Also, suffocation is a personal fear of mine, so when I wanted to create something fearsome, I felt it best to draw on my own fears.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator

I mentioned in my story comment about the visible tattoo Sabreeza's enforcers wear, I can see it as a double-edged sword. It is intimidating to let others know who they are in the best of times, but a negative if things turn against them. It's hardly as inconspicuous as an SS tattoo on the inside left arm. I have to wonder if they carry magic, not necessarily to give them a power, but perhaps to guarantee their loyalty in some way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Now we have a taste of cop drama with swords.  :)

I actually have several projects buzzing around in my head which are even more aptly applied to that label.

15 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I mentioned in my story comment about the visible tattoo Sabreeza's enforcers wear, I can see it as a double-edged sword. It is intimidating to let others know who they are in the best of times, but a negative if things turn against them. It's hardly as inconspicuous as an SS tattoo on the inside left arm. I have to wonder if they carry magic, not necessarily to give them a power, but perhaps to guarantee their loyalty in some way.

There's also the potential Shade connection. Perhaps they are of the Shade themselves, or at least they know they could escape down there and live if things turn south. They could also be thinking that whatever Sabreeza is planning, they're sure it will win. :)

I like the loyalty hypothesis, too. But who are they loyal to, in that case?

• Like 2

So, honest question here:

How do you feel about the combat scenes? These were, in fact, the first in depth combat scenes I ever wrote. Now we've had several of them, and I'm curious if you think they're appropriate in length and description. If not, what would you like to see more/less of?

Note: There will be no alterations to anything in Shadow Honor as a result of this conversation, but it could help me with the rest of the series.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

I say just enough detail and action, without overkill. Not going overboard on violence also doesn’t compromise feeling for a character. It sometimes can turn into a negative perception.

I hope the scenes to come hold up to that. It's something I've always been nervous about with this story.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

It will be obvious Grim killed Jakkel. Are such instances taken as necessary loss and overlooked or will he face punishment?

I would have asked earlier, but my keyboard was having fits. Typing everything with a mouse is tedious and calls for brevity.  lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

It will be obvious Grim killed Jakkel. Are such instances taken as necessary loss and overlooked or will he face punishment?

I would have asked earlier, but my keyboard was having fits. Typing everything with a mouse is tedious and calls for brevity.  lol

Great question! Since I don't want to spoil the surprise, I'll simply say that it will be addressed in a future chapter. Unfortunately, not until Chapter 13 (I just checked to be sure). Even though it'll be soon in the Salidar portion of the timeline, we have to address a few things with Styx's progression and Kirra's progression.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Sorry to hear about the computer troubles. Does that happen often?

• Like 1