Topic Tuesday #7: Handwavium and "The Power of Plot"

This week's topic is on the superpower that we Authors have. It's called "The Power of Plot," and "Handwavium." Like most fictional superpowers this one that has both good and bad aspects to it. First some definitions...

Handwavium - Any hypothetical but unobtainable material with desirable engineering properties. (Wiktionary)

The Power of Plot a/k/a Plot Armor - Plot Armor is when a main character's life and health are safeguarded by the fact that he's the one person who can't be removed from the story. (TV Tropes)

As writers, we love to tell stories. We craft our stories in such away that they live in the hearts and minds of our readers. Depending on the genre, in order to tell the story, we have to include things that might not be there. Such as Magic in a fantasy story, or faster-than-light travel in SciFi. Some of these Handwavium items are universal for a given genre. For example, the idea behind gravimetric drives, using gravity to move starships, are in several SciFi stories. The Black Fleet Trilogy by Joshua Dalzelle includes it, Star Wars has elements of it, and both @Myr and I have it in our SciFi stories. (I borrowed it from the larger genre and didn't know that Myr also used it until after I read his stories.) This is something that helps a story and adds spice to a world. Using Handwavium can take a B-Plot story, and make it into a Classact.

Now the Power of Plot is a two edge sword. On one hand, you have the good aspect of it. Being able to drop in a Waffle House in Boston because you want it there, is one example. A bad aspect would be to have a Main Character shot in the heart, and then gets up in the next scene because it's only a flesh wound.

So, how do you feel about this week's topic? How do you handle the Power of Plot and Handwavium?

• Like 3

II don't write SciFi although I've read plenty in the past and been tempted to give it a go. I enjoy reading/writing about situations that I can relate to and imagine happening either now or in the past. It doesn't have to be an incredible plot with a clever ending that I would never have guessed but it needs to be going somewhere to keep my interest and be believable. I use that word loosely because there isn't much that surprises me in real life so even the most outlandish plots and unlikely characters can seem real to me.

There are a lot of things in real life that cannot be explained and don't make sense so I don't mind that in fiction either. I don't care if every loose end isn't tied at the end and there are somethings left unexplained as long as there's a recognizable ending to the story.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

Well, to add more examples to handwavium... We have Vibramium from both Captain America and Black Panther.  In Avatar, they literally called it unabtainium, the laziest possible way to name it.  Mass Effect universe calls it' magic stuff Element Zero.

Now, other forms of handwavium are based on the scientific theory of the time.  In Sci-Fi, you have basically 3 ways to do FTL. 

1.  You mess with Einstein's E=MC^2.  Star Trek and Mass Effect both do this... You can go faster than light because you use some sort of field to mess to change the mass of an object and reduce the energy required to accelerate to Light Speed. (C in the equation).  Star Trek calls this warp.  Mass effect calls it.. Mass Effect. lol.
  2. You mess with Einstein and Rosenberg's "Einstein-Rosenburg's Bridge" theory.  IE a wormhole.  This is where you break a hole or open a hole in space-time and pass through to another part of space.  This can be instant sort of thing (Jumping) or can be a Hyperspace sort of thing.. like Star Wars or Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica.
  3. Nope sorry, you can't go faster than light.  You can just get really close and traveling takes years.  Passenger and Ender's Game seem to fit this pattern.

Power of Plot is used by almost every author for drama and cliffhangers. lol.  Except for George R. R. Martin, who just kills everyone because All Men Die.

I personally try to use current scientific knowledge and project possible solutions to future problems.  (like travel and communications)

I don't blame the power of plot for things.. I blame my muse or my editor.  hi @Cia

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

Hardy har har har… @Myr  I happen to like Alcubierre's theory which would involve compressing space in front of a ship and expanding behind it, essentially creating a wave for the ship to travel upon. Since the ship is not moving on the wave, but the wave itself is moving, FTL speed would be possible without the time element. I also employed near-Earth super nova gamma radiation, carbon nanotubes filled with a radiation-blocking fluid to handle the extreme radiation of space that is so often ignored, symbiosis with non-sentient plant matter to keep a planet that was out of the Goldilocks zone viable with enough heat to maintain liquid water and life, but I played pretty fast and loose with RNA mutations due to the symbiosis occurring with humans. 

I love science fiction rooted in science, though I will admit to not always being too scientific with making it do what I want it to do if it just has to happen for the story. I love spending hours trying to make it seem at least plausible though, and research is totally my favorite way to spend an afternoon if I'm not reading. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I also use an advanced Albucierre drive in my science fiction stories. I read a lot about it. Sounds plausible. I'm certain the drive will work once figured all out. I try to base the futuristic science in my stories on real concepts and do a lot of research. It's actually fun to read about cutting edge science and projects. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

i've written a little scifi but personally it's not really my thing. What i have written, was more about the characters i guess, rather than feeling i have to explain space travel. The characters use the technology, they don't explain it.

As to the other, the power of the plot. No, i don't do, oooh it was all a dream, or your flesh wound example.  In Changes, Don recovered somewhat, but not fully. He will always need his wheelchair, though he can move short distances with his crutches.  He got his sex life back, somewhat, but giving him everything seemed wrong to me. It wasn't realistic. I've written about fairies, angels, zombies, vampires, and i think people enjoyed the characters, i suppose because they could relate to them.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Like most things, I do my research. I cant see how anyone can write a story without understanding the world or the technology/magic they are using. In Seeon, i used transporter and other technology seen in Star Trek or other sci-fi books. I clearly designed one part of the world to be behind the curve, misusing the technology they have gotten, while the rest works to benefit everyone. Background understanding was necessary.

However, I'm more likely to do research on various mythological creatures and forms of magic to use in my stories. Even my favorite comic characters are researched. Wonder Woman's bracelets are made from Zeus' shield, Hawkman and Hawkgirl can fly and more due to Nth metal, and the list goes on.

I am not one to let a character live just because he was shot and I like them. Everything must make sense for the world it is created for. Sometimes, it is easier to kill them and deal with the fall out, or injure them and make them a more interesting character.

Anyway, just my take.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 4/26/2018 at 8:04 AM, Mikiesboy said:

What i have written, was more about the characters i guess, rather than feeling i have to explain space travel. The characters use the technology, they don't explain it.

I agree.

• Love 2