22 minutes ago, Marty said:

*Marty now waits for the inevitable "Google is evil" conspiracy theory comments....  ;) 

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

I’ll just say that I use DuckDuckGo. They don’t track you. It’s my default search engine.  ;–)

And it only took 21 minutes for the first conspiracy theory to arrive... :whistle:

Does DuckDuckgo show up when you right click on an unknown word?

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Marty said:

And it only took 21 minutes for the first conspiracy theory to arrive... :whistle:

Does DuckDuckgo show up when you right click on an unknown word?

[exaggerated response for comic effect]

I never said that Google was evil in my other post. And what I said does not make any claims of a conspiracy. I stated a fact. You made the assumption that I believed in a conspiracy theory, but I don’t know who you believe they are conspiring with and why you think that it suggests a theory.  ;–)

Google even tries to track me here on GA – it’s so they can tailor ads to the sites you visit. Of course, Facebook is worse because they try to gather information about people like me who have never had a Facebook account – again, even here on GA. I do believe that the little smirking weasel is evil. I’ve installed filters to block them both Google and Facebook. Are you claiming that Google and Facebook are conspiring with GA?  ;–)

[/exaggerated response for comic effect]

When I Option-Click on a word, it brings up the option to Search with DuckDuckGo.

Edited by Former Member
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

When I Option-Click on a word, it brings up the option to Search with DuckDuckGo.

That's all I was really interested in. :)

My other comments were not really meant to be serious. Apologies for my weird sense of humour0:)

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Marty said:

My other comments were not really meant to be serious. Apologies for my weird sense of humour0:)

I wasn’t over the top enough in my response to be clear that I wasn’t too serious? I’ll have to work on my sarcasm some more.  ;–)

I post silly things that I think are hilarious, but others don’t seem to understand that I’m joking. When Sandrewn posted that he had decided not to close his GA account, but wouldn’t be posting again until next year, I suggested that the most important thing was that I wouldn’t be losing Reputation Points – I even put the sentence between [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags and only one person gave me a Haha! (A year or so ago, a popular writer left GA, deleting their stories from GA at the same time, and many people, including me, experienced a huge, instant loss in Reputation Points linked to Comments on that author’s stories. It was such a wide-spread phenomenon that GA was forced to issue a statement about the situation.)  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
12 hours ago, Wayne Gray said:

CHEATING!  Though, damn, that's pretty awesome.  You could even have a doubter at the table, looking up words in a dictionary so the reader doesn't have to.  LOL

My ex-boyfriend and I were banned from teaming up in both Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit, cause we kept winning, lol!

12 hours ago, droughtquake said:

How difficult is it to highlight a word and Option-Click on it to find the New Oxford American Dictionary definition? Oh right, some of you aren't using a Mac! (Or iOS with its similar ability on iPhone and iPad.)  ;–)

My favourite part of the MacOS dictionary app is the 'learn spelling' option. I use quite a few foreign names and the like, and even more in my fanfic. Get sick of seeing that red squiggly line in Scrivener when I haven't actually misspelled anything...

12 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Mac and iPad user here, I didn't realize that feature was unique to the brand. Having said that, pasting the word into google is my method of choice - more options to research that way.

I know I've  come across some other cool words wish I could remember one of them. 

Oh wait, I do: defenestration.

Defenestration is a word for the act of throwing something or someone out of a window.

Yes, there's actually a word for that. Fenestra is the Latin word for window.

Defenestration (and its derivatives) is one of my favourite words in the English language. I love, love, love it! :heart: But I didn't mention it here because I don't find it beautiful, exactly... More like fun.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, droughtquake said:

From the Wikipedia page on Defenestration:

There is a range of hacker witticisms referring to "defenestration". For example, the term is sometimes used humorously among GNU/Linux users to describe the act of removing Microsoft Windows from a computer.

;–)

That is awesome! :rofl: 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

My favourite part of the MacOS dictionary app is the 'learn spelling’ option*. I use quite a few foreign names and the like, and even more in my fanfic. Get sick of seeing that red squiggly line in Scrivener when I haven't actually misspelled anything...

That’s the great part of having all those things integrated into MacOS (Operating System) instead of having them just added on later. (The OS integrates pdfs at a very basic level which is why you can Print to pdf.) They become accessible in nearly any application. And they always work the same way. It’s seamless.  ;–)

* Learn Spelling is actually part of the OS. The user (spelling) dictionary is shared across the OS rather than being isolated to a single app. That’s why you can teach it a spelling in a word processor and not have that same word flagged in your browser.  ;–)

12 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

That’s the great part of having all those things integrated into MacOS (Operating System) instead of having them just added on later. (The OS integrates pdfs at a very basic level which is why you can Print to pdf.) They become accessible in nearly any application. And they always work the same way. It’s seamless.  ;–)

* Learn Spelling is actually part of the OS. The user (spelling) dictionary is shared across the OS rather than being isolated to a single app. That’s why you can teach it a spelling in a word processor and not have that same word flagged in your browser.  ;–)

Coolness. I've been a mac user since I got my first laptop nearly fifteen years ago (iBook) but I keep learning new things. :P 

EDIT: When I wrote app the word I was really looking for was 'function' but it wouldn't come just then... Oh well.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Coolness. I've been a mac user since I got my first laptop nearly fifteen years ago (iBook) but I keep learning new things. :P 

We got our first computer, an Apple IIe, in 1984. I got my first Mac, a IIci, in 1993. My sister-in-law gave me her old 7100 in the late ‘90s. I bought a 12" iBook (‘IceBook’) in 2001 and a 12” PowerBook in 2003. I bought a Mac mini in 2013 and a 15” MacBook Pro in 2014. I inherited my father’s old PowerBook 100. I also had a used Mac Plus and a used Cube (with no power supply), but lost them both along with the IIci and 7100 when I became homeless.  ;–)

From the mid-‘90s until 2003, I worked in a computer store (Apple Authorized, but not Apple owned) that sold Macintoshes exclusively. We sold accessories and software too. I remember setting up our first iMac demo model!  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

We got our first computer, an Apple IIe, in 1984. I got my first Mac, a IIci, in 1993. My sister-in-law gave me her old 7100 in the late ‘90s. I bought a 12" iBook (‘IceBook’) in 2001 and a 12” PowerBook in 2003. I bought a Mac mini in 2013 and a 15” MacBook Pro in 2014. I inherited my father’s old PowerBook 100. I also had a used Mac Plus and a used Cube (with no power supply), but lost them both along with the IIci and 7100 when I became homeless.  ;–)

From the mid-‘90s until 2003, I worked in a computer store (Apple Authorized, but not Apple owned) that sold Macintoshes exclusively. We sold accessories and software too. I remember setting up our first iMac demo model!  ;–)

Awesome. We had PCs at home when I was a kid cause my dad was a programmer and built computers as well. I got my first one of my own in '95, but I can't recall a time we didn't have at least two functioning computer and sooooo many parts in the house. I used to sit in his study and play with circuit boards. I pretended they were cities, lol!

But we've gotta stop now cause we are waaaaaay :off:

• Haha 3

I updated the initial thread with all that we've come up with so far.  I might take a stab at writing a chapter or short story with all of them.

I wonder at the coherence possible in such a work.  Oh, and no Scrabble game allowed!  🤪

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

A writer could be discussing various word choices with an editor – or maybe two songwriters who are collaborating…  ;–)

So, I'm sensing a pattern here.  Are any of you lawyers?

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

So, I'm sensing a pattern here.  Are any of you lawyers?

I‘m not royalty. I’m not pretentious enough to refer to myself in first person plural. I am not a collective like the Borg. I am certainly not a lawyer! I just try to think different, as suggested in a famous ad campaign.  ;–)

4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I‘m not royalty. I’m not pretentious enough to refer to myself in first person plural. I am not a collective like the Borg. I am certainly not a lawyer! I just try to think different, as suggested in a famous ad campaign.  ;–)

Found this a while back and now I can't help myself...

o1RsYCS.jpg

• Haha 3