Just now, Wayne Gray said:

I had to look it up.  Worth the time.  It's a great word, particularly for a romance writer!

You're new around here, so you wouldn't know this. Ask around. I DO NOT DO ROMANCE!

:rofl:

“How come she’s not here? I thought Liz would meet us at the airport.” Ritchie had made it clear he was looking forward to seeing the girl he befriended the previous year and kept in touch with through social media. CJ suspected there was a touch of limerence in his brother and hoped it would not become an issue.

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I'm more likely to use a word such as nefarious.

The no-romance is an ongoing thing. People keep accusing me of being a romantic.

Those bastards.  😉

Let's use a word to describe such a travesty.

Lamentable.  Another good one that I use quite a bit.  Not rare, really, but good and crunchy in the right spot.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

My favorite word used in one of my stories is LIMERENCE. My editor warned me it could piss some readers off because they would have to look it up, but I actually received a couple of compliments on it.

It’s not hard to look up things, just saying....

Bonus is, learning something new. :D

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Or your characters could just be playing Scrabble…  ;–)

CHEATING!  Though, damn, that's pretty awesome.  You could even have a doubter at the table, looking up words in a dictionary so the reader doesn't have to.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

looking up words in a dictionary so the reader doesn't have to.

1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

It’s not hard to look up things, just saying....

How difficult is it to highlight a word and Option-Click on it to find the New Oxford American Dictionary definition? Oh right, some of you aren't using a Mac! (Or iOS with its similar ability on iPhone and iPad.)  ;–)

6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

How difficult is it to highlight a word and Option-Click on it to find the New Oxford American Dictionary definition? Oh right, some of you aren't using a Mac! (Or iOS with its similar ability on iPhone and iPad.)  ;–)

Oh, you little brat!  😋

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Oh, you little brat!😋

Mac and iPad user here, I didn't realize that feature was unique to the brand. Having said that, pasting the word into google is my method of choice - more options to research that way.

I know I've  come across some other cool words wish I could remember one of them. 

Oh wait, I do: defenestration.

Defenestration is a word for the act of throwing something or someone out of a window.

Yes, there's actually a word for that. Fenestra is the Latin word for window.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Defenestration is a word for the act of throwing something or someone out of a window.

Yes, there's actually a word for that. Fenestra is the Latin word for window.

I know of that one, but how the HELL do you USE it?  It's a noun but watch me mess this up.

Harlan grinned.  What Corbin didn't understand was that he had a little something special in mind.  Defenestration always livened up a party.

Edit: Huh, that actually works.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
26 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Mac and iPad user here, I didn't realize that feature was unique to the brand. Having said that, pasting the word into google is my method of choice - more options to research that way.

I’m lazier than that. I use Dictionary.app. It looks up in the aforementioned Oxford Dictionary and/or several other options including Wikipedia. But once I get into Wikipedia, I often go off on interesting, but wild tangents.

Edited by Former Member
2 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

I know of that one, but how the HELL do you USE it?  It's a noun but watch me mess this up.

Harlan grinned.  What Corbin didn't understand was that he had a little something special in mind.  Defenestration always livened up a party.

Then Corbin quickly defenestrated Harlan.  ;–)

From the Wikipedia page on Defenestration:

There is a range of hacker witticisms referring to "defenestration". For example, the term is sometimes used humorously among GNU/Linux users to describe the act of removing Microsoft Windows from a computer.

;–)

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Edit: Huh, that actually works.

This was the line I was referring to - the words of a bodyguard. 

“Just doing my job. The boss said to protect you at any cost. That includes defenestration.”

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

“Just doing my job. The boss said to protect you at any cost. That includes defenestration.”

The longer this goes, the more I feel like this may have to be a new scene somewhere buried in "Guarded."

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Aren’t you glad you didn’t get ‘Defenestration’ in one of those games where they give you a list of words to use in a story?

• Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Aren’t you glad you didn’t get ‘Defenestration’ in one of those games where they give you a list of words to use in a story?

That's why I'm a reader and not a writer. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Obstreperous.

"But, alas, we had also been far too obstreperous in our exuberance."

Paroxysms.

"In too short an order, we both convulsed into paroxysms of carnal delight as the climax of our morning lovemaking overtook us. It was, by far, the most exquisite way to usher in a new day!"

:P

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I just highlight the word, right-click on it and left-click on Search Google for "word" in Windows (may only work because I have Google set as my default search engine).

*Marty now waits for the inevitable "Google is evil" conspiracy theory comments....  ;) 

• Haha 3