sweet, i caught it first.

well, i don't know about everyone else, but i'm excited. dealing with a segment of time we haven't touched before? i can't wait to see where this goes. oh, and little'uns? awww. :P

Wow, what a great chapter! Definitely not how I was expecting it to play out.

I won't discuss details yet, but one thing I can: the way it was written.

DK often starts off a chapter with an aire of mystery, so the reader has to figure out what is going on. This time, he really out-did himself, and throughout the chapter there are examples of this. The bit about the kids was classic!!

There sure is a lot to discuss about this chapter, as it's rather momentous, but I will resist the temptation until more have had a chance to read it.

Great chapter, DK! :2thumbs: I wasn't even expecting one this week, due to your recent hectic schedule.

I'm surprised. I didn't thought DK would let it happen in DIR.

But somehow... Well let's say that from an outsider's POV, and although terribly shocked at the time, my first analysis was that maybe that attack could have interesting (if not "good") repercussion in USA's foreign politic. That was quite an utopist if not downright stupid thouht though. But maybe in DIR things will turn out better than it actually did after a while ?

Well done, Dan. I am hoping there is enough HARD evidence that GW Bush et al basically ignored all the warnings and you show us him be impeached or something for Sept 11th. That would make for a wonderful next chapter. Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

ORN

Richard

The following was my comment to Dan when I returned this chapter to him...

DAMN, that's powerful! I read it 3 times and still the ending makes me cry. I guess 9/11 had a deeper inpact on me that I want to admit.
Who else is expecting the Bush administration to still be able to push through the PATRIOT act and promptly ship Davey off to Guantanamo for having "connections" to terrorism?

I didn't expect Davey to get shipped off for that... Until you said it! Now that you put it together THAT explains the whole trip to Poland.

Davey won't get shipped to Guantanamo, but he certainly could be shipped off somewhere.

I kept wondering why there was the whole deal with the NSA confiscating the disk... I was definitely hoping that the story was not going anywhere silly like "the administration and the government knew in advance about 9-11 and made sure it happened.". I just can't buy massive conspiracy theories for one main reason: they just don't make sense, as it's impossible to keep a secret of that magnitude.

But your comment about using his involvement certainly fits!!!

Hmmm... Dan said just two more chapters.. And the last line of this one was "whatever happened to doing it right?"

I also note that Sean is now known as a time traveler to Davey's father. So, why do I suspect that soon, Davey, his father, and Sean will sit down and have a very, very interesting conversation about a little construction project?

Just a hunch on my part.. 9-11 or no 9-11 and it's aftermaths, Davey has seen far, far worse "histories", so there would be a lot of motive not to do this... So I could see it going either way.

So, I hereby predict <drum roll>...... That the DO series will either end in two chapters, or it won't! :P

I've got an analysis of this chapter about half-written. I'll post it on this thread later today.

EDIT: One more thing.. I really haven't got a clue at all what Chapter 16 will hold.. I usually at least have guesses, even though I'm usually wrong. In this case, about all I can predict about 16 is that it will be comprised mostly of words. :P

Edited by C James
Who else is expecting the Bush administration to still be able to push through the PATRIOT act and promptly ship Davey off to Guantanamo for having "connections" to terrorism?

Could be. That would remove Davey's father from the scene and certainly push this timeline even closer to the original one.

And it would definitely make very frustrating ending... :)

Could be. That would remove Davey's father from the scene and certainly push this timeline even closer to the original one.

And it would definitely make very frustrating ending... :)

I may be reading this wrong, but, I think that with 9-11 happening, plus DK's reference to the Senate going Democrat due to one Senator (it was Jeffords of Vermont in real life) changing parties from Republican to Independent, we are seeing Davey's timeline coming more and more to match our own.

I've got to say, I really, really loved the kids, but I loved it even more the way DK gave us a few references to them well before the details. I love the way DK does that, especially at the beginning of chapters.

I've got to say, I really, really loved the kids, but I loved it even more the way DK gave us a few references to them well before the details. I love the way DK does that, especially at the beginning of chapters.

:great: Wow

There's something I've been thinking - in this timeline Davey managed to reduce severity of the AIDS epidemic. If I remember correctly there was statement about millions saved. Did I miss something or we haven't seen aftereffects yet?

It remembers me the discussion about Pearl Harbor December 7 1941. A lot of people in Hawaii and in the States knew about the proximity of the Japanese attack, the radar screen showed the Japanese fleet and nothing happened !! Some historians even thought that FDR let it done to oblige USA to join the Brit in the war. "Les Dieux aveuglent ceux qu'ils veulent perdre" ( The Gods blind the people who have to be lost).

I dare to say : and If something should have to happen

The last question : "lets get a cab" why and where ????

You guys are reading too much into the line. Recall that their morning run was to the site. After witnessing the attack, they are discouraged and unable to put forth the effort to run any more so catching a cab HOME was the solution.

Except that if Brian and Davey... Ok, Quote-Time :

Finally, after our 30th birthdays in 1999, we realized we would forever be putting it off if we didn’t just decide to go ahead and do it. It had taken a while to find the right woman to donate the eggs

Ok so let's say the boys are born at best in early 2000. The chapter takes place 18 month later (at best again). There's no way a 18 month toddler is going to ask where is Poland and much less understand what a globe represent.

Let's say they're both awfully precocious. =^^=

Oh and jogging is one of the three most potentially dangerous thing to do with a newborn (at least in a back pack but I'd personnally not take the risk to do it in any way) because of the Shaken Baby Syndrom.

Ok, I have slightly compulsive dispositions when it comes to kids... >_>;

Edited by Xandra Kitee
There's no way a 18 month toddler is going to ask where is Poland and much less understand what a globe represent.

Oh, come on. That could be Davey's son. I mean, he's bound to be genius. I was just a tad disappointed he had to ask where the country is and did not comment about their approaching election.

:D

That little scene was based on my nephew a little younger than 18 months so he had to be carried to the globe and walked through the process...sis tells me he does very well with maps now at age 8.

That little scene was based on my nephew a little younger than 18 months so he had to be carried to the globe and walked through the process...sis tells me he does very well with maps now at age 8.

What I meant is that it's a hard concept to grasp that earth is a ball and at 18 month most kids have trouble mentally visualizing the next street.

But that's quiddity on my part. All kids are different.

So as long as you don't make them MLB players at 3, I can go along with anything. O_o

Except that if Brian and Davey... Ok, Quote-Time :

Ok so let's say the boys are born at best in early 2000. The chapter takes place 18 month later (at best again). There's no way a 18 month toddler is going to ask where is Poland and much less understand what a globe represent.

I'm not quite sure I understand here... I thought they were older than that? DK said in his blog

of course we didn't get to see Brian and Davey trying to deal with the boys during their terrible twos.

That looks like past tense to me, and that would make them older than two, so were meant to be three or older?

However, upon re-reading it, it could be taken either way: the terrible twos might be yet to come...

I have no idea here.. I'm just confused (a fairly normal condition for me...) :D

Good reading BTW! I'd have never caught that.

So as long as you don't make them MLB players at 3, I can go along with anything. O_o

But, but, but... These are the children of a time-traveler! Maybe they have done it before? :P

Edited by C James
I'm not quite sure I understand here... I thought they were older than that? DK said in his blog

That looks like past tense to me, and that would make them older than two, so were meant to be three or older?

Well, I'm refering to the text.

It is said that they decided to have kids in early 1999 (since their birthday are in jan or feb). So :

Jan 1999 --> sep 2001 = 31/33 month. They can hardly be 2 years old at the very best.

I'm a 26 years old girl quite sociable so babies have been popping all around me since I was 20. I'm so used to being around munchkins that it strikes me as strange but that's not really important for the story however.

Well, I'm refering to the text.

It is said that they decided to have kids in early 1999 (since their birthday are in jan or feb). So :

Jan 1999 --> sep 2001 = 31/33 month. They can hardly be 2 years old at the very best.

I'm a 26 years old girl quite sociable so babies have been popping all around me since I was 20. I'm so used to being around munchkins that it strikes me as strange but that's not really important for the story however.

I'm not even competent to be in the same room as a toddler, let alone say what one is capable of, so I have no opinion on that aspect..

I hope I don't stir up trouble by asking this, but... Is there mention anywhere else in the DO series of the year of Davey's birth?? In other words, might the 1999 be a typo?

OK, doing some re-reading here... in chapter 32 of DOR, he arrives back in 1976. I can't find a reference to his age, though I recall he was eight when he arrived? He had a birthday right after that, also in 1976, which would have made him nine during 1976. If so, then he would turn 30 in 1997, not 1999, so is it possible that we have a typo here? Or did I mis-remember?

EDIT:

Ahh, I'm probably wrong. I'd missed the following post by DK, which seems to indicate that he did intend an age of 18 months or so...

Although, there is plenty of room there for the kids to be younger or older than that... Perhaps there will be more clues in the next chapter?

Edited by C James