National Emergency Test

• Site Administrator

We had those towers, but mainly around the two army bases in the city. Guess if you lived near the base and in the military, you were expected to come running and you couldn't say you didn't know ;) 

I think they had them at CFB Cold Lake Air Force  base too. When they went off, moving anywhere on or off the base was challenging.

Let's hope they let all the Hawaiians know unlike a few years ago with the inbound missile attack! Those people are justifiably pensive :o 

Hope everything works as planned, and if not, they might know what to do for the future.

• Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1

I was out and about at work, so all I got was the phone alert. And I just pressed okay and went about my business. We did have a nurse come back to the office laughing, because her devices all ran the alert and the client's television went off. She had forgotten all about it and until she read the text along with the alert thought all hell had broke loose. Her poor client is over eighty years old and restricted to a walker, I couldn't imagine what that looked like in that house at the time. And, I did come up on car accident around that time, and wondered if the alert caused it, but it was a minor accident and first responders were already showing up. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
  • Site Moderator

My phone went off without a scare. Ten minutes later, the alarm went off on the TV. It didn't bother me as Comcast does alert testing once a week in my area. They also do a monthly alert.

• Like 5

I didn't know this was going to happen, so when the alert on my cell phone went off, it used the same series of tones that it uses to alert us that to an Amber alert, so I thought meant there was another missing child until I checked the screen.  When the TV alert went off it interfered with a very important part of the program I was watching and pissed me off, but at least they didn't do it on Saturday during one of the college football games.   

• Like 4

I was in Boston’s Public Garden sitting and chatting with a friend when the alarm went off. I knew it was going to happen but he didn’t and it startled him. Not too far away is a multiplex movie theater. I can certainly imagine the disruption of everyone’s phones going off during the showing but does the movie get interrupted at the pivotal moment?!

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
3 hours ago, Bill W said:

I didn't know this was going to happen, so when the alert on my cell phone went off, it used the same series of tones that it uses to alert us that to an Amber alert, so I thought meant there was another missing child until I checked the screen.  When the TV alert went off it interfered with a very important part of the program I was watching and pissed me off, but at least they didn't do it on Saturday during one of the college football games.   

I've never been able to figure out how they decide where to distribute Amber Alerts. Most of the ones I get are out of Georgia and I'm a long way from Georgia.

• Wow 4
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, Ron said:

I was in Boston’s Public Garden sitting and chatting with a friend when the alarm went off. I knew it was going to happen but he didn’t and it startled him. Not too far away is a multiplex movie theater. I can certainly imagine the disruption of everyone’s phones going off during the showing but does the movie get interrupted at the pivotal moment?!

Cinemas aren't in the act.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I've never been able to figure out how they decide where to distribute Amber Alerts. Most of the ones I get are out of Georgia and I'm a long way from Georgia.

With parental abductions, the parents are  typically divorced and that might be where the other parents lives currently and they expect he'll return, or you might be along the route that parent might take to return home.  The alert doesn't just go out to the state where the child is abducted. 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, Bill W said:

With parental abductions, the parents are  typically divorced and that might be where the other parents lives currently and they expect he'll return, or you might be along the route that parent might take to return home.  The alert doesn't just go out to the state where the child is abducted. 

All of them are headed this way? I find it unlikely. They all have GA tags when they have vehicle descriptions. In contrast, I have never once heard an alert from MS.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, drpaladin said:

All of them are headed this way? I find it unlikely. They all have GA tags when they have vehicle descriptions. In contrast, I have never once heard an alert from MS.

There are a lot of alerts throughout GA, and the abductor may be fleeing with the child to stay with friends or extended family in MS.  They supposedly send the alert to anyplace where the abductor might possibly go.   

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, Bill W said:

There are a lot of alerts throughout GA, and the abductor may be fleeing with the child to stay with friends or extended family in MS.  They supposedly send the alert to anyplace where the abductor might possibly go.   

Or they're like the guy at our EMA, too lazy to pick the right alert areas and just hits the ALL button.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
11 hours ago, Ron said:

I can certainly imagine the disruption of everyone’s phones going off during the showing but does the movie get interrupted at the pivotal moment?!

Doesn't everybody turn off their phone at the movies as to not disturb their fellow movie goers? :unsure: 

;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, wildone said:

Doesn't everybody turn off their phone at the movies as to not disturb their fellow movie goers? :unsure: 

good point - same at any live theatre or music gig -_- (at the Black Sabbath Ballet recently, theatre staff walked down every isle carrying notices to switch off phones - I’d forgotten to turn mine off :o :funny:)

Older family members once told me that during WWII if they were watching a good film/movie at the cinema and the sirens went off many just stayed in their seats and continued watching the film :P 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2023 at 8:58 PM, wildone said:

;) 

I put mine on "vibrate only."  With two members of my family having major medical issues, I have to be aware.

• Like 4