What are books you DNF'd and why?

LJCC

I know we are mostly authors here, but I perceive the majority of us have a knack for reading as well. I used to be all in, 100%—if I cracked open a book, I’d finish it, no matter what. Even if I knew, deep down, it wasn’t for me, even if the pages dragged like dead weight, I’d push through. That’s how it was. But then, this year, something shifted. I started putting books down, unfinished, and I didn’t feel guilty about it. I realized I’m a mood reader, completely, and my rating, my whole experience, swings on that vibe.

I DNF’d It Ends With Us after just one chapter. The writing—man, it’s just bad, really bad, couldn’t even pretend it wasn’t. So I dropped it, no looking back. And I refuse to read it further based solely on her insistence that it didn't need a trigger warning. 

And if you liked the book, I have nothing against you. It just didn't sit well with me.

• Like 2

Docile by KM Szpara

I like sci-fi, I like dystopian stories, I like gay erotica, and BDSM is the cherry on top. However, I just couldn't accept the bad plot concept of the story or the shallow character dynamics. DNF'd after 20 chapters. While the author claims the book is an indictment on class and capitalism, it's really just a story that glorifies victimization and victimizers. There is no real power dynamic, it's just abuse without any heart.

• Like 2

I have had several that I did not finish.  One book by a favorite author I read half of and the book got ruined in a freak accident.  I did not like the story enough to get a replacement copy.

Another I DNF was a book of mathematical history which, by halfway through, had math I did not have enough training in to understand some of the concepts.  I did read the first four chapters multiple times, however.

A story I read on Nifty and do not remember the title -- I read about 8 chapters and lost interest.  The story went from interesting and intriguing to stale cliché, staler cliché, and then descended into asinine incomprehensibility. 

• Like 1

Red, White, and Royal Blue - parts of it were far too bogged down by the political atmosphere, and since I read to escape political atmospheres (at least ones too close to the one we're in at the moment), I DNF'd it. It lost a lot of the humor and fun after about the middle of the book as well. 

Cassandra Clare's - Dark Artifices. I read and liked the Mortal Instruments, by the end of MI, I thought it was a big dragged out. Infernal Devices being her best trilogy. But afterwards her writing got way too predictable and one-note. So by extension, the first book of the Dark Artifices trilogy ended my run with her entirely.

Call me by your Name - I did a short review on another topic. Too wordy, too bogged down in cerebral pretentiousness that I just lost all feeling while I read the thing. If it got better in the latter half of the book, fine but I'll never know. 

Someone attempted to get me into reading James Patterson, I gave two of his books a try and DNF'd both of them. I can't remember the titles, so I can't say much about them, other than they were just too boring to hold my attention. 

There are countless other little fantasy books when YA - Fantasy was really big.

A series I wish I never picked up was the Twilight series, I really wanted to DNF the hell out of it, but stuck with it. Do not hold that against me, I beg. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, W_L said:

Docile by KM Szpara

I like sci-fi, I like dystopian stories, I like gay erotica, and BDSM is the cherry on top. However, I just couldn't accept the bad plot concept of the story or the shallow character dynamics. DNF'd after 20 chapters. While the author claims the book is an indictment on class and capitalism, it's really just a story that glorifies victimization and victimizers. There is no real power dynamic, it's just abuse without any heart.

• Docile by KM Szpara—Same! That tagline is what annoyed the shit out of me. I had anticipated a biting critique of the worst aspects of capitalism. I assumed it was going to make a point using the analogies of slavery and rape. Instead, I was met with a bland hiss and a speculative fiction that resembled the gay version of 50 Shades of Grey. I'm like, this would have made more sense if this was smut.
7 hours ago, Krista said:

Red, White, and Royal Blue - parts of it were far too bogged down by the political atmosphere, and since I read to escape political atmospheres (at least ones too close to the one we're in at the moment), I DNF'd it. It lost a lot of the humor and fun after about the middle of the book as well. 

Cassandra Clare's - Dark Artifices. I read and liked the Mortal Instruments, by the end of MI, I thought it was a big dragged out. Infernal Devices being her best trilogy. But afterwards her writing got way too predictable and one-note. So by extension, the first book of the Dark Artifices trilogy ended my run with her entirely.

Call me by your Name - I did a short review on another topic. Too wordy, too bogged down in cerebral pretentiousness that I just lost all feeling while I read the thing. If it got better in the latter half of the book, fine but I'll never know. 

Someone attempted to get me into reading James Patterson, I gave two of his books a try and DNF'd both of them. I can't remember the titles, so I can't say much about them, other than they were just too boring to hold my attention. 

There are countless other little fantasy books when YA - Fantasy was really big.

A series I wish I never picked up was the Twilight series, I really wanted to DNF the hell out of it, but stuck with it. Do not hold that against me, I beg. 

• Red, White, and Royal Blue—it's too, rated 18-20+ for me. 
  • Cassandra Clare's—I only watched the series. More like I watched the gay snippets of the gay couple in YT. HAHA. The gay scenes with the gay warlock and Alec are kinda' hot. 
  • Call me by your Name—Elio's inability to acknowledge and act on his feelings, in my opinion, is what makes this appealing. If I were to imbibe some lessons on it, I would emphasize first love and what constitutes a healthy relationship as opposed to a destructive one. But I understand you not finishing it. The book is forgettable, in my opinion, while having some beautiful wording and significant ideas. It doesn't appear to me that Aciman meant for it to be interpreted as a lesson about unhealthy first loves, at least not in a way that could be considered reflexive. Based on some interviews I saw,, it appears he is just fascinated with writing topics that are “taboo” and romanticizing the hell out of them, which I feel is something a lot of his readers do too. So he may be into that weird ass shit, and me, as a reader, is just extending its meaning apart from the author, liking said weird shit. HAHA! Also, I prefer the movie to the book.
  • Twiliight—I read all books. I had to study what makes bad writing bad somehow. And so far, I still couldn't forget her use of overused words like: grimace, chagrin, incredulous, glower, and crooked smile. That fucking crooked smile. How crooked can it be Stephanie? 20 degrees crooked? Thirty degree? 180? Did his expression circumvent the laws of physics and turn him into the clown from IT? Is it 190? 200 degrees, Stephanie?
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Krista said:

Lol, Team Jacob will embrace everyone :P 

@KristaI think you should try The Darkness Outside Us by Eliot Schrefer, if you want something that isn't super cerebral Sci-fi, but still brainy and stimulating with two compelling queer characters and an interesting plot. The author is likely a fan of Arthur C. Clarke.

12 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

I have had several that I did not finish.  One book by a favorite author I read half of and the book got ruined in a freak accident.  I did not like the story enough to get a replacement copy.

Another I DNF was a book of mathematical history which, by halfway through, had math I did not have enough training in to understand some of the concepts.  I did read the first four chapters multiple times, however.

A story I read on Nifty and do not remember the title -- I read about 8 chapters and lost interest.  The story went from interesting and intriguing to stale cliché, staler cliché, and then descended into asinine incomprehensibility. 

Nifty is a hodge podge, it has some good stuff and it's the reason why I came here in the first place, along with several other communities. 

As for reference books, Food: A Cultural Culinary History by  Ken Albala, it's a college-level textbook that I bought with one of my Audible credits. I thought I could enjoy it, but dang, it was slow and didn't really give me much more detail than my knowledge of food history and interaction. I didn't finish it, I just skipped around the chapters and looked up some facts. (With Chapters like "From Eden to Kosher Laws" and "From Hippies to Foodies", it jumped around on food history)

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1