What Kind of English do You Speak?

Ibuprofen

55% General American English

30% Yankee

10% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

To be more exact. I speak the Wyoming Valley English...a northeastern Pennsylvanian dialect rooted in the borderline of northern American dialects and midland American dialects.

If you're a language freak, you'll know what I am talking about.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70% General American English

15% Yankee

10% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

Why does it add up to 95%?

Edited by raz

I did take this, with some dissapointment that Y'at wasn't one of the "englishes". New Orleans accent is the best, if I do say so myself.

***Your Linguistic Profile:***

30% Dixie

10% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

Your Linguistic Profile:

85% General American English

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

0% Yankee

HAHAHA this is hilarious! I grew up in the midwest!!! Hmmm...I guess I always new I was the generic Wal-Mart brand. :lmao: I like these quizzes. :P

Welp...toot-ti-lou folks! :funny:

- Kaiten

65% General American English

10% Dixie

10% Yankee

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

Hey, after working with Texans for 3 years, I've started to use "y'all" so that must have raised my Dixie! :D

Oh, we always called the easy classes "bird" courses... don't know why but we did.

Who the hell calls a summer shower "The Devil is beating his wife"??

I had to choose sunshower because summer shower wasn't an option.

I seriously wanna meet the guy who looks at a summer shower and says "Ah, I see the Devil is beating his wife." If I said that, to ANYONE, they'd have me institutionalized.

**raises his hand**

actually I probably wouldn't say it myself (unless I wanted to start a conversation), but that's the choice I'm most familar with and my grandfather used to always say it.

I did take this, with some dissapointment that Y'at wasn't one of the "englishes". New Orleans accent is the best, if I do say so myself.

hehe I agree too! I don't have the accent myself, but it is cute. I seem to remember a comic a few years back making jokes about the phrase "jeat" which OF COURSE means "Did you eat?" :boy:

Anyway I haven't yet, so I'd better get going :boy::P

Take care all,

Kevin

I think the quiz was fun, but I don't think it was encompassing enough variety of American Dialects. I mean with all this talk about Y'at and Cat-A-Corner, it makes me wonder what else they left out, besides west coast.

I guess I'll have to wonder later, because right now I'm fixin'a go to bed. ;-)

Your Linguistic Profile:

70% General American English

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Yankee

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofameric...doyouspeakquiz/

I would have thought the "Upper Midwestern" would be a bit higher...guess I've been away from NoDak for too long. I'll have to go back for a little while to "recharge" haha.

Who the hell calls a summer shower "The Devil is beating his wife"??

I had to choose sunshower because summer shower wasn't an option.

Kitty corner? Catty corner??? WTF??

If I ask where the drug store is, and they say anything involving a feline corner, they will make friends with a 12 guage...

An easy course is either and easy course or a bullshit course. Not crip, gut, or blow off... i said blow off because I'm sure a lot of people blow it off.

Heh...I think the Devil one is more of a Southern/"Dixie" thing, the only times I ever remember hearing it have been since I moved down here *shrug* But why ya gotta be so violent? Haha...my grandma always used "kitty-corner" and it's rubbed off on most of her children and us grandchildren....that's more a Midwest/upper-Midwest I think.

You're right on the "easy course" one though - I would have called it a "sluff/slough" class

Yes, gotta love that accent :D But you didn't write "Nawleans" :o

I guess I'll have to wonder later, because right now I'm fixin'a go to bed. ;-)

Y'know, I used to make fun of that southern slang (especially that one in particular) when I first moved here...then one day I was talking to my (now ex-)boyfriend on the phone and said unthinkingly said something like "I'm fixin to go to bed".

We both stopped and stood in dead silence for almost a minute trying to comprehend what had just happened.

Since that one time, probably over 3 years ago now, I've never said it again *rofl* And it wasn't because I was trying not to say it either, I still don't know exactly why I did it that one time :P

LOL that reminds me of a little miss communication that happened to a friend once. In my native area of Louisiana people use the term "get down" to mean get out of the car and go in. Apparently in other regions "get down" has some serious sexual connotations.

Well a few years ago a friend of mine was dating a guy from further north. Anyway they pulled up to this grocery store and she was about to get out and go in. So naturally she turned to her boyfriend and asked, "you want to get down with me?" From what I hear he looked very shocked and stuttered something along the lines of, "yo...you mean...right here? in the parking lot?" :blink:

-Kevin :boy::P

Edited by AFriendlyFace

45% Dixie

45% General American English

5% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

That makes sense, except how did that 5% get in there? Maybe it was the trip to New York a couple of weeks ago.

I have good friends of long standing from the Midwest. I guess I understand their expressions, but they've not rubbed off on me.

With a much longer test, they could have been more specific results, using such questions as,

What do you call a submarine sandwich?

What do you call a small tomato such as the ones they put on salads?

If you call a small tomato, does the vegatable respond to you? (Sorry, had to throw that one in for Zappa fans.)

If you don't say "y'all," how do you stress that you are using the second person plural? Is there an intensive form you use (analogous to "all y'all")?

How many distinct meanings do you use for the word "poke"?

What do you call the small storage compartment on the right side of a car's dashboard?

Do you pronounce "-n't" as a distinct, semi-accented syllable, as in "could-dent"?

How do you say the first syllable of "orange"?

And then there could be a series of questions that zero in on when and how you pronounce the letter "r."

Etc., etc.

In my native area of Louisiana people use the term "get down" to mean get out of the car and go in. Apparently in other regions "get down" has some serious sexual connotations.

I've never heard "get down" used in either of those ways. I would take it as a disco expression, or advise on what kind of sleeping bag to buy.

This reminds me of the very different UK and US meanings of getting knocked up.

Similarly I don't call the person diagonal from me "Kitty corner" or "Catty corner", so I HAD to pick "Diagonal", I'd call them "Cat-a-corner"

I would take "Catty corner" and "Cat-a-corner" to be the same expression, just spelled differently. Unless I were trying to articulate the difference, I'd say them the same. When I say it, I have no spelling in mind.

• Site Moderator

Your Linguistic Profile:

60% General American English

15% Dixie

10% Yankee

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

The midwestern parts surprise me since I grew up in a midwestern state. Guess I've lived in Pennsylvania too long.

I seriously wanna meet the guy who looks at a summer shower and says "Ah, I see the Devil is beating his wife." If I said that, to ANYONE, they'd have me institutionalized.

It's not just any ole summer shower. It's one that happens when the sun is shining. I've heard the expression all my life. I've never heard anyone say it as if they thought they would be taken seriously.

As often as I'd hear someone say, "I'm fixin' to . . .," I'd hear, "I'm a-fixin' to . . . ."

And I've heard the humorous procrastination, "I'm a-fixin' to commence to start."

What do you call a submarine sandwich? -A sub

What do you call a small tomato such as the ones they put on salads? -Cherry Tomato

If you call a small tomato, does the vegatable respond to you? (Sorry, had to throw that one in for Zappa fans.) -...

If you don't say "y'all," how do you stress that you are using the second person plural? Is there an intensive form you use (analogous to "all y'all")? -... never really thought of that before, sometimes I say "you" and "all" as two seprate words, sometimes I say "you guys", or "all of ya/you"... something like that.

How many distinct meanings do you use for the word "poke"? -at the moment... I can think of 4

What do you call the small storage compartment on the right side of a car's dashboard? -I just say "put it(some object) in the dashboard" and everyone knows what I am talking about.

Do you pronounce "-n't" as a distinct, semi-accented syllable, as in "could-dent"? -sometimes I do, other times I don't.

How do you say the first syllable of "orange"? -or/ore... like for rowing a boat

And then there could be a series of questions that zero in on when and how you pronounce the letter "r." -are/arrr... like a stereotypical pirate would say it, only not so long.

Edited by Ibuprofen

40% General American English

30% Yankee

15% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

For what it's worth I have never even been to the midwest. I was raised in south Jersey and my mother always used the term kitty-corner.

LOL that reminds me of a little miss communication that happened to a friend once. In my native area of Louisiana people use the term "get down" to mean get out of the car and go in. Apparently in other regions "get down" has some serious sexual connotations.

Well a few years ago a friend of mine was dating a guy from further north. Anyway they pulled up to this grocery store and she was about to get out and go in. So naturally she turned to her boyfriend and asked, "you want to get down with me?" From what I hear he looked very shocked and stuttered something along the lines of, "yo...you mean...right here? in the parking lot?" :blink:

-Kevin :boy::P

"Get down", To go inside a place, that is odd :P

Edited by Drew

Your Linguistic Profile:

50% General American English

25% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

Well, I'm British but why not?

anyway, looks like Lancashire = Yankee :blink:

By Easy Class I take it Means like a school class.... because if it does then really I'd call it a 'Doss about'... oh well.

What do you call a submarine sandwich?
a Sub
What do you call a small tomato such as the ones they put on salads?
Cherry tomato
If you don't say "y'all," how do you stress that you are using the second person plural? Is there an intensive form you use (analogous to "all y'all")?

I don't say "All ya'll", but I do say "ya'll"

What do you call the small storage compartment on the right side of a car's dashboard?

Glove compartment. I thought it was the funniest thing ever the first time I heard someone call it a "glove box"

Do you pronounce "-n't" as a distinct, semi-accented syllable, as in "could-dent"?
sometimes
How do you say the first syllable of "orange"?

I do it both ways, sometimes the pirate way previously described, sometimes the "aww" way.

I've never heard "get down" used in either of those ways. I would take it as a disco expression, or advise on what kind of sleeping bag to buy.

HAHAHAHAHA! :lmao::lol:

This reminds me of the very different UK and US meanings of getting knocked up.

I would take "Catty corner" and "Cat-a-corner" to be the same expression, just spelled differently. Unless I were trying to articulate the difference, I'd say them the same. When I say it, I have no spelling in mind.

well when I say it I clearly stress the "a" sound.

It's a loan translation from French "d

Heh, well...

Your Linguistic Profile:

45% General American English

25% Yankee

15% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

Krista

30% Yankee

10% Upper Midwestern

0% Dixie

0% Midwestern

Y'll think thissl make me stick out lahk a sore thumb when I move to Tennessee?

:ph34r: