That thing you drink from in the hallway...

Kurt

What do you call it?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is it called a...

• Bubbler
    • Water Fountain
    • Drinking Fountain

Well, I know that it is called a Bubbler, but I want to see what others called it. Rob (icedfire) and I had a disagreement on it in chat this evening... We shall see who wins. :P

Kurt :D

Please post what you voted for... if you want to.

Well, I know that it is called a Bubbler, but I want to see what others called it. Rob (icedfire) and I had a disagreement on it in chat this evening... We shall see who wins. :P

Please post what you voted for... if you want to.

Oh, come on, now. I'm originally from Iowa and Chicago. It's a water cooler! :2thumbs:

Jack B)

• Site Administrator

I went for "Water Fountain" as the closest answer. Most of the time it doesn't have a name -- it's just the place where we get some water if we want it. "Water cooler" is a common name here in Australia, but I can live with "Water Fountain". Of course, that assumes they've stocked it with water. There are other options....

A fountain, by my definition, pushes water into the air. So if we're talking about a thing mounted on the wall, you push a button or bar, and the water shoots up a little or a lot (heh), then it's a fountain. But if it's an upside-down bottle on top of a contraption that dispenses water down into a cup, then it cannot be a fountain, and the only acceptable option given is "bubbler". Hey, they do bubble, why not? I call this thing a water cooler (even if it doesn't cool :blink: ).

After concluding that we're talking here about a water cooler, I voted "bubbler".

Well, this is what I was talking about. p8ac.jpg

Thanks Kitty!

Here is a little history on these things. In 1888 Harlan Huckleby designed the first whatcha-ma-call-it, but the company that he worked for, Kohler Water Works, which is in Kohler, Wisconsin, trademarked it under the name of 'Bubbler.' Many other companies loved the idea of it, but could not use the same name, so they made up there own.

Maybe that is why it is called a Bubbler here. :P

Ok I went with Water Fountain :D I've always thought that if it gives ice cold water and its inside then its a Water Fountain and if its outside and gives ya warm water its a Drinking Fountain :P Hey Kurt you made a real kewl Poll dude :great: I'm gonna drop the question to my budz tomo and see what they say heh heh :P

Sorry Kurt. I don't mean to burst you bubble :lmao: But I've never called it a bubbler. I was born and raised in St. Paul. :thumbdown: I call them drinking fountains. Water fountains are outside or in malls and have coins in them and are not meant for drinking.

I have heard the term bubbler though, Just never knew what it meant. And Kohler is definitely the biggest name in water fixtures, Im not surprised you use a Kohler term living on that side of the state. It's all good! :D

B)

Well, this is what I was talking about.
Gotcha. The site hosting the image you posted is "www.drinking-fountain.net". Hint, hint. :P Interesting that Kimberly-Clark's Kleenex caught on as a generic term nationwide, while Kohler's bubbler didn't, apparently. But now I know: in and around Kohler WI, it's a bubbler. Thanks. :2thumbs:

I've always called it either a water fountain or a drinking fountain. Although I did ask a lady at work who once lived in Wisconsin and according to her...where she worked everyone called it a bubbler. lol And that was without prompt from me. :)

Sorry Kurt. I don't mean to burst you bubble :lmao: But I've never called it a bubbler. I was born and raised in St. Paul. :thumbdown: I call them drinking fountains. Water fountains are outside or in malls and have coins in them and are not meant for drinking.

Thank you, Tim! For a moment I thought I was crazy there, haha. I suppose being from North Dakota msyelf, it's gotta be a ND-MN thing, dontchaknow :D

Water fountain all the way.

And Tim, those fountains full of coins that you speak of are the water fountains that were at my school, not literally, but they all tasted like pennies.

I really didn't think that quiz would cause quite this much controversy.

Water Fountain. A Water Cooler is a device that dispense water from those giant cylindrical containers, and can dispense the water as either cold or hit into a tiny paper cup that you get from a paper cup dispenser mounted on the side of the Water Cooler. These devices are common found in offices and doctors office lounges. Ever heard the phrase "Gossip from the water cooler"?

Don't worry your pretty little head Kurt, you have been forgiven for your lingual deficiences.

In 1888 Harlan Huckleby designed the first whatcha-ma-call-it, but the company that he worked for, Kohler Water Works, which is in Kohler, Wisconsin, trademarked it under the name of 'Bubbler.' Many other companies loved the idea of it, but could not use the same name, so they made up there own.

Maybe that is why it is called a Bubbler here. :P

I had never heard of a "bubbler" until I read it in the other thread.

From its history, it's a wonder that they didn't call it a "water Kohler."

Never ever heard of a Bubbler before... Here if your drinking from it its a drinking fountian, if its populated by fish or coins then its a water fountian.

Exactly! I would never drink water from a water fountain. :nuke: You never know if some parent let their toddler with a dirty diaper go wading in a water fountain.

B)