What makes a good story?

Xiao_Chun

Choose which aspect of a story is the most important for you  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important aspect of a good story?

• Feelings, emotions
    • Interesting plot, thrill
    • Interesting characters
    • Sex
    • Other

Hi All.

After reading different stories, I became curious why I like some stories and not others. So I am curious what others think about this.

Hugs,

Michael.

Edited by AFriendlyFace

• Site Administrator

I voted for "Other" because it is never a single item. Different types of stories and different writing styles can also influence the mix.

A "coming out" story that doesn't show feelings and emotions isn't going to hold my attention.

An action/thriller without a decent plot isn't going to work.

Generically, a story without reasonable characters and settings isn't going to keep me interested, but there are always exceptions if other things over-compensate for it.

A story is a mixture of characters, setting and plot. Focusing on only part of this mix as the "most important aspect" is ignoring the broad range of possibilities and requirements. Brilliant characters without a plot is interesting for a while, but gets boring when the story doesn't go anywhere. A great plot with cardboard characters can work, but most of the time it'll fall flat on it's face.

Graeme makes a great point.

I voted for characters, because I believe that if you have highly developed, interesting, good characters, they practically make the story themselves. But there are those times when I fall into what Graeme was talking about... brilliant characters and absolutely NO plot line whatsoever, lol.

I voted feelings/emotions, in a specific way: I enjoy coming-of-age stories, the way the characters and their relationships evolve as they grow into themselves. But what really makes those kinds of stories "come alive" is empathizing with the characters, which means the author needs to really make the reader feel what the characters are feeling.

- dfp

I have to say all of the above.

Stories are all different: different genres, tones, lengths, paces, mood, plot, scene, flavor, setting...

Any one of these elements can add to (or detract from) the chemistry of a story.

Many stories are memorable because of the characters. If I must vote, my vote is for appealing characters that learn, persevere or survive a trial. A solid character concept will carry a story with a weak plot. If you don't believe that, how does network TV survive?

Other stories are fast paced action thrillers with lots of sexy gunfire and car chases. However, without sound characters with depth, action stories are like Chinese food: they are good going down but you are hungry again in an hour.

Some stories are all about atmosphere and setting. Gone with the Wind just wouldn't work anywhere but in the South during the latter days of the Civil War.

I voted other. It's a combination of everything: characters, plot, emotions, interactions...all the tools that an author uses to draw a reader into a story. Even the writing style of the author, and his mastery of his craft influences my like or dislike of a story. Sometimes an author's personal views even decide whether I'll invest my time in a particular story. There's nothing worse than getting alienated from a story simply because the author writes in a way that seems subversive, or manipulative.

One of my peers has a favorite phrase. 'Good writing and good stories are simply the sum of many facets'. I tend to agree with him.

-db-

Well, Character development is what I look at first in my own writing. That's why I voted the way I did. I do though think a lot of factors are needed before a good story is made. Just answering the question in a way I look to write.

Krista

I voted for "Interesting Characters". I agree with everyone else in that all aspects are important in combining to make a good story; however, for me my favourite part of reading a story is the character development. I'll also be more inclined to tolerate weaknesses in the other areas if the characterization is very strong. Conversely I'll be more likely to grow weary with a story that's strong/fairly strong on the other points but contains two-dimensional characters. So yes, I think all aspects are important, but for my own enjoyment character development is paramount.

Have a terrific day all!

Kevin

I voted "other" for much the same reasons Graeme did. I feel that what is the most important depends on story type and plot. A coming out story has far different needs than a technothriller, for example.

Well, I voted interesting characters. I think that if an author can develope a range of interesting characters then I believe that a story plot will fall into place. Because as you develope the characters, they make the story. They develope it and they carry it. If you have one or two characters in a story, it is more complicated to make the story likeable. But, if you develope a line of characters that are interesting then it is more likely they will contribute to the story and the plot will thicken or develope. With out good characters, you loose the heart of the story what makes you want to come back what gives the story soul.

Jensen

• Site Administrator
Well, I voted interesting characters. I think that if an author can develope a range of interesting characters then I believe that a story plot will fall into place. Because as you develope the characters, they make the story. They develope it and they carry it. If you have one or two characters in a story, it is more complicated to make the story likeable. But, if you develope a line of characters that are interesting then it is more likely they will contribute to the story and the plot will thicken or develope. With out good characters, you loose the heart of the story what makes you want to come back what gives the story soul.

Jensen

What you are talking about is a character-driven story. Many stories are like this, and it is my preference when writing a story. There is an initial setup, and then the story largely unfolds as a result of the actions and interactions of the characters.

However, there are many stories that are plot-driven, rather than character driven. Pretty much all the Tom Clancy books, for example, are more driven by the unfolding plot than the characters. The characters tend to react to circumstances outside their control more than shaping the events that drive the plot. Many action/thriller stories fall into this category, though there are certainly many exceptions.

Having said that, I had to chuckle at the statement, "I believe a story plot will fall into place." If only it was that easy.... There's an element of truth in it, in that the author finds that characters will NOT do some things because it doesn't match their personalities/nature, but the author still needs to direct them to ensure the story unfolds to a successful conclusion.

Hi!

I voted for feelings/emotions :wub: , because they're what makes people human, and stories are all about the way these feelings/emotions interact, conflict, and come together. It's feelings/emotions that explain what makes people act and think in a particular way, and why. To me, 'interesting characters' is sort of an extension of this aspect, because people can't be interesting if they don't have some kind of feelings/emotions that make them who they are. And you can have an interesting plot, but again without the characters and the unique way that their feelings/emotions make them respond to the situation, there really is just a bare bone.

But I agree with 'other' too...a story is more than just one aspect which makes it good/great, just as people (I mean people's character) are more than just black or white. The atmosphere, surroundings, circumstances, histories and little details makes a story complete, and you can't really take one bit away without considering the rest. It's the way the story is written, developed, and eventually concluded that makes it a whole.

Interesting though, so far nobody voted for 'sex'. Which sort of shows the high level of (intellectual?) standard people here at GA have :P

have a great day~

David

I voted 'others' for similar reasons to those stated above - it's never just one of those choices, and often the exact reason depends on the story itself.

Perhaps the questionnaire could be re-formatted to ask people to rank the various ingredients of a story in order of importance?

Key is introducing the protagonist to the reader up front. So maybe interesting characters take a lead as we flow into the plot line(s)? I think a good story continues to reveal more about the characters as the plot unfolds. Then the characters react to the situations in which they find themselves with emotions and feelings. This will give the reader deeper, unmasked facets of the character.

Hand in hand (no pun) are word pictures that describe the scene. How does the environment set the mood? The surroundings, the aromas, the temperature, the light levels, the sounds, etc.

I also find it interesting that "sex" had no votes. I believe that erotic content has its place...but can't be gratuitious.

Jack B)

Perhaps the questionnaire could be re-formatted to ask people to rank the various ingredients of a story in order of importance?

Key is introducing the protagonist to the reader up front. So maybe interesting characters take a lead as we flow into the plot line(s)? I think a good story continues to reveal more about the characters as the plot unfolds. Then the characters react to the situations in which they find themselves with emotions and feelings. This will give the reader deeper, unmasked facets of the character.

Hand in hand (no pun) are word pictures that describe the scene. How does the environment set the mood? The surroundings, the aromas, the temperature, the light levels, the sounds, etc.

I also find it interesting that "sex" had no votes. I believe that erotic content has its place...but can't be gratuitious.

Jack B)

Now that's a good idea.. Gauge how we interpret aspect of importance within a story. I like it!

I voted plot and thrill. If a plot can't keep my attention, regardless of the characters in it, I will not read it. If there is a great plot, and characters I hate... I will continue the read. It's like listening to Howard Stern. I can't stand the man, but.... I do stick around to hear what idiocy he spouts next.

Jack B)

I agree that this would have been better, but when I started this poll, I didn't find a way of doing it with the existing poll options. Maybe this is something to think about for the tech support team? Is it possible to extend the poll options such that we can rank alternatives? One way would be to let people choose on a scale of 0-10 how important a particular alternative is, with 10 being the most important and 0 not important at all. This enables to average over the votes and present aggregate results.

Anybody from the tech support team want to look at this, for future polls? Thanks Jack for the idea.

Hugs,

Michael.

as a reader what catches my eyes is the plot: how deep are the character involved in it, how credible are them and what is happening around them and to them, how I got involved to the point of waiting for a new chapter -or to finish a book-.

The characterization is also important: the feelings involved, how the emotions are shown and depicted.

Sex, for me, is a big turn off: I usually skip the graphic descriptions and well, it is someway boring reading in each and every chapter the same stuff happening :_)