I'd like some advice on taste

I posted this question to my blog (not here, I keep one on livejournal), but I thought this might be a better place to ask it. I'm considering what I want to write for the next anthology, and my first idea is to do a short story trilogy. The first part would be an edited version of this, the second would be a piece about his mother's angry reaction to that development, centered on his mother, and the third from a yet unnamed person about the aftermath. It is the second piece I am concerned about.

Specifically, would it be tasteful to put a story that might be construed as sympathetic to an angry, homophobic parent on a website whose readership includes people who might live in terror of such circumstances, if not deal with such circumstances on a daily basis? My gut tells me that people would be able to handle it, and realize that what comes out of a character's mouth and thoughts aren't necessarilywhat I think and say, but would it be better to avoid the issue entirely?

Please give me your opinions people. I'm honestly in a quandary.

Specifically, would it be tasteful to put a story that might be construed as sympathetic to an angry, homophobic parent on a website whose readership includes people who might live in terror of such circumstances, if not deal with such circumstances on a daily basis? My gut tells me that people would be able to handle it, and realize that what comes out of a character's mouth and thoughts aren't necessarilywhat I think and say, but would it be better to avoid the issue entirely?

As always, it depends on how it's handled. Do not shy away from it if you really feel like writing this second part with this character. You may always have a disclaimer if you're afraid it might shock readers.

Sympathetic? It depends. I think there

• Site Administrator

My view is that there are always at least two sides to every story. You don't get the complete picture until you see all the sides. As Dom has said, I think many people will have a better understanding of their parents if they have a chance to see things from their parents point of view. They may not agree, but even a glimpse of understanding can help.

Go for it!

On a personal note, I had the same concerns with my first story, because it was coming out story written from the point of view of an (initially) homophobic teen. I was seriously expecting to be flamed for doing that, but I thought it was important for people to see the other side so I went ahead -- and I didn't get a single flame. I had people tell me that they stopped reading because they couldn't stomach the homophobia, but no one -- not one -- ever indicated they thought that I believed the things that I was writing.

Tasteful? Come now, do we really have to worry about that? I don't ever consider if something I write is "tasteful". If someone doesn't like it... well, that's their own problem, and I am a firm supporter of the back button. Besides, if people can't realize that a piece of fiction is simply fiction, then, well... they're kind of special, don't you think?

Besides, if people can't realize that a piece of fiction is simply fiction, then, well... they're kind of special, don't you think?

And they ride a special bus to school?? :)

Seriously, I agree with everyone here. There's nothing wrong with exploring all sides of an argument, regardless of how we might feel. A lot of homophobes really believe that it's impossible for homosexuality to be anything but a choice. Oddly enough, their reasoning is the same argument that we use to try to explain to them that it's not a choice....go figure :blink::blink::blink: