[Razor] What's under your tree?

Ever read The Canterbury Tales? Specifically, The Pardoner's Tale?

In this tale, the pardoner tells of three young men who are sitting in a tavern as a funeral procession passes by. The obnoxious youths demand that the servant go see who has died, but the servant replies that it was a young man much like themselves. He also informs them that someone called Death has killed many in the area.

On a whim, these three vow to be loyal to each other and to kill Death, who has killed so many. They head out, and meet a man not a half mile from town. The man is old, dressed completely to his face in cloth. They harass him, and he scolds them for saying mean things to an old man. He then tries to walk away, pass them by. They accuse him of being a spy for Death, and demand to know where Death is.

The man replies that he knows where Death is, that he left Death not long ago under a tree down the road. They head that way, and find a pile of golden coins, no less than eight bushels. Immediately, they forget their vows. They send the youngest to town to fetch wine and bread so they can keep guard over the treasure until night falls and they can take the treasure back to their homes without suspicion.

While the youngest is absent, the other two plan to stab him to death when he returns. While in town, he buys poison with which to taint their bottles of wine so that he may have the treasure to himself. As he returns, they fall on him and kill him. After, they drink from one of the poisoned bottles and die immediately.

The old man was obviously Death, and the treasure under the tree was their demise. It was their weakness, and it killed them.

Just to provoke a bit of thought, I'd like to ask a question. What would be under your tree?

Vowels. Definitely vowels. They're my weakness. I just can't live without them. I find I can hardly go a single word without needing another one. <said with absolutely straight face>

No, more seriously, my treasure wouldn't be a physical thing. I'd have to go with knowledge. Like Adam. Kind of inspired by this comic I read actually. Check it out at: http://friendlyhostility.com/d/20060911.html (Also really good webcomic).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well hmm.. so many hidden treasures in this forum Jamie... :worship:

Let's see my weaknesses..

I don't know.. lol. Weight issues and the struggles I have with my body. My erratic schedule that I have that leaves me sleep deprived and such.

I'm sure there's more. :)

Krista

Also, a handsome man wearing a smile would do me in as well. :funny: