Continuing the Work of deceased authors..

Continuing the Work of deceased authors.  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How ethical is it to continue the work of deceased authors?

• Perfectly fine
    • It's okay if I get the prior pemission and am comfortable with it.
    • Not at all! It's their work!!!
  2. 2. Should another author do it, even if the kin of the late author asks?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends upon the situation.
  3. 3. What about the distinct writing style of the original author?

• I'll try eriting it in his/her style.
    • I'll write it in my own style.
    • Doesn't matter. I'm not writing it.

This was a topic of one fiery debate in one of the Yahoo! Groups I was a member of.

How ethical is it to continue the work of deceased authors? Should another author do it, even if the kin of the late author asks? What about the distinct writing style of the original author?

These are just some of the questions that came to my mind.

So what do you guys think?

BeaStKid

P.S

I'll post my comments a little later. :)

This was a topic of one fiery debate in one of the Yahoo! Groups I was a member of.

How ethical is it to continue the work of deceased authors? Should another author do it, even if the kin of the late author asks? What about the distinct writing style of the original author?

These are just some of the questions that came to my mind.

So what do you guys think?

BeaStKid

P.S

I'll post my comments a little later. :)

B) ............Interesting idea, I have often wondered about endings to stories I got 3/4 of the way through, only to find out that the author died or was MIA. If permission was granted amoungts fellow authors I would have no problem with someone finishing the story. Problem I do see is if that can be done with justice to the formers work, character, plot-line etc. ....etc.....

if the author is MIA how would one go about gaining permission? And is this replacement authors word that he/she has attained permission gold? I find it best and more probable to take the fanfiction route if there is enough interest in the characters.

This is not without precident however, all you have to do is look at Margaret Mitchell. She only ever wrote the one book, but later authors have added two to the series. There again though I do think the dollar was the driving force behind that.

Scarlet O'Hara in Ireland... :wacko: how did that get approved?

This is rather a loaded set of questions in the way it is asked. You used the term "ethical" which is clearly distinct from moral and legal. The use of characters that exist in a work that holds a copyright is technically not legal without permission of the holder of the copyright. So, any fanfic is not legal in that sense. I would argue that using a copyrighted character in your own story is probably moral IF you (or anyone who "hosts" that work) do not obtain monetary compensation for the effort, provided you do not intend to diminish the financial position of the copyright holder. Any actual diminishing is a legal issue for a court to decide. As to "ethical", that becomes very sticky.

I'm a scientist working in a mainly academic-like company (as opposed to a company hell-bent on profit). I have considered myself a scientist since early in my undergrad career. For almost 25 years (god I'm old) I have prided myself on scientific honesty and integrity. I have never falsified data, omitted conflicting analysis that I knew about (including failing to look for conflicts), nor have I ever failed to give credit where it was due including prior work I was aware of. This even went to the point that in graduate school I refused to have my name added to the paper of a coworker because I did not agree with his analysis technique. To my mind, "unethical" is a higher standard than moral or legal because it combines the two.

With that in mind, I believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to "continue" the work of another author. Sure you can mimic their style and use their settings and characters, but the work will always be YOURS not theirs. In a "moral" sense, any continuation is "fanfic". So, to me, fanfic becomes "unethical" when it is not made clear (by statement or content) that it is not the work of the original author, when the intent of the work is to damage the "property" of the copyright holder, or when the work is used for monetary gain without the permission of the copyright holder. Authorization by the copyright holder is simply a legal method of covering your ass.

The dabate about on this topic will surely follow the pattern that most politicians take "I personally like X and am abhorred by Y, so X should be legal for everyone and Y should be legal for noone." (note that this includes my comments above)

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow "Snoopy" Dog

if the author is MIA how would one go about gaining permission? And is this replacement authors word that he/she has attained permission gold? I find it best and more probable to take the fanfiction route if there is enough interest in the characters.

This is not without precident however, all you have to do is look at Margaret Mitchell. She only ever wrote the one book, but later authors have added two to the series. There again though I do think the dollar was the driving force behind that.

Scarlet O'Hara in Ireland... :wacko: how did that get approved?

B) .......In reference to the MIA, I think in Gary's Garden there was a story "From hell to Marges Kitchen" (forgive me if I got that wrong been a long time since I read it)...but the author suddenly went missing, I had understood a somewhat close relatiionship (Platonic) that he had with the site...I'm not trying to assume if permission was ever given or if he had co-authored at any time with the MIA author....it kinda sad that the story just died

I can't even vote cause I don't like any of the choices, personally. I have thought about this alot lately... and my opinion is this:

If it's my story, and I'm the deceased author...

There are a few people who I have mutual admiration for who really know me well, and aassuming they thought they could do it, and wanted to, I'm okay with that.

If I'm the person finishing someone else's story...

If I was asked by someone who I felt had the right to do so, and if I thought I could do it justice, and if I knew what his/her plans were to finish the story, then, and ONLY then, would I even consider trying. Mostly I think that it's not my story to tell and while it's sad that it would never be finished... it's not the end of the world.

Funny how my opinion is different when I'm the writer instead of the deceased... :wacko:

Viv

I can't even vote cause I don't like any of the choices, personally. I have thought about this alot lately... and my opinion is this:

If it's my story, and I'm the deceased author...

There are a few people who I have mutual admiration for who really know me well, and aassuming they thought they could do it, and wanted to, I'm okay with that.

If I'm the person finishing someone else's story...

If I was asked by someone who I felt had the right to do so, and if I thought I could do it justice, and if I knew what his/her plans were to finish the story, then, and ONLY then, would I even consider trying. Mostly I think that it's not my story to tell and while it's sad that it would never be finished... it's not the end of the world.

Funny how my opinion is different when I'm the writer instead of the deceased... :wacko:

Viv

I personally thinks it best for the work to be unfinished than finished by someone else who has no idea what's going to happen next or how the book is supposed to end. I could never continue another's work. I would rather do my own, and I'd expect the same of others. I would be haunting from the grave.

Yeah I think it's an interesting quandary, personally I'd rather like the story to be unfinished, the few times I've read stories by authors where other people finished it, it seemed a little off. I guess I would try, it might be a fun intellectual exercise.

I'll answer this keeping in mind that the work in question is a story written here, and not big name author. I think that the only people that would be capable of finishing the work of an author would be his editor or possibly his main beta reader. Those that knows the most about what the author imagine what is meant to happen. Otherwise or if the author confided in no one what will happen next, then it would be best that the story be kept untouched.

• Site Administrator

There are numerous examples of other authors continuing the work of someone else. However, in the majority of situations, it's someone who is related to the original author and could be "deemed" to have inherited the rights to the story. I don't know if the situation was discussed prior, though -- I suspect it was. eg. Brian Herbert continuing Frank Herbert's "Dune" series. Also the recent new "Tolkein" story.

This is why I said it can be ethical for the story to be continued by another author, if the original author gave permission. I appreciate Snowy's view and I can't disagree with him, but he's using a lot tighter definition of "ethical" and "continuing" than I am. I'm looking at it more as completing something that was left unfinished, as a sort-of tribute to the original author.

My problem with the second question was the word "should", and that's why I answered "It depends". If someone asked me (as an example) to continue the work of a deceased author, I don't believe I "should". If I admired the deceased author's work, and their style was one that I was comfortable with AND if there were notes on how the original author had intended to the story to go, then I would seriously consider it. Unless all of those conditions were met, I would almost certainly politely decline.

I think I would be obliged to try to match the style of the original author if I was continuing their work, though it's possible I could slowly morph it towards my own style (if the continuation went long enough -- eg. a series of books). I remember one series I read where the first books were written in third person, and the last one was written in first person. That last one really grated with me -- it felt wrong. That's an example of how a change of style isn't appropriate (though in that particular case it was the same author all the way through -- I still don't know what they were thinking of....).

EDIT TO ADD:

There is a distinct difference between MIA and deceased. In the later case we know that the author is not going to continue the story, and there are probably kin who will know the author's wishes on the matter. In the former we don't have either of these. I would never consider continuing a story for someone who is MIA -- it wouldn't be right.

Another recent example is the mega-series The Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan. He knew he was dying, and he recorded all of his notes so that another author can finish the series. He's been working on that series for over 17 years; I don't see how it could possibly go unfinished after so long.

I think that some direction from the author would be necessary, as well as a strong attempt to emulate the author's literary style. It is really up to the author or whoever assumes the rights to the story to decide if they want it continued.

Menzo

• Site Administrator
Another recent example is the mega-series The Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan. He knew he was dying, and he recorded all of his notes so that another author can finish the series. He's been working on that series for over 17 years; I don't see how it could possibly go unfinished after so long.

I didn't know that :) I hope it does get completed and in a way that's faithful to the original author's vision and style. From what I read, it was only two or three books away from completion. My problem is that I can't think of an author who I would trust to complete the story appropriately....

There are two examples of this issue in the publishing world: the unfinished works of J R R Tolkien and Frank Herbert's Dune series.

In both cases their heir is the driving force behind continuing the work. I have no idea whether Tolkien or Herbert discussed their wishes for either series with their heirs.

As far as net authors go, if they are still alive, it shouldn't be done without express permission. Following the work of deceased authors should only be done with prior arrangement.

I wouldn't want to write another's story and I wouldn't want someone else writing mine. I don't think it's a big deal, as long as the proper permission and such is obtained, but personally I wouldn't do it.

Krista

considering a lot of factors, I think that authors have the right to make these decisions. MIA is not an excuse to infringe upon copyrights (which last an awful long time AFTER a person is declared deceased)

Usually the author has discussed it with someone, or left instructions, wishes, or other communication of their wishes. In the event of a sudden death, I feel it is up to the holder of those works to decide what to do with them whether it be the family or a publishing house. Also, depending on the circumstances of the works... some things just do not need completion. Sure there will be some readers who bitch about it (whiners all!) but if it's not finished, well it's not. However, there are also some things that do need to be finished (the exmaple of the Wheel of Time for example). The work will not be the same, but it can be similar, and sometimes that will just have to suffice.

I personally feel that it should depend on the author's wishes, or, if they were not expressed, then whomever holds the rights to the works.

I also answered "I wouldn't do it" because to me it would be like working off someone else's plot, and to me, creating the plot is a huge part of the fun.

personally... if i was dead. lol. I wouldn't really care anymore about this world. Not even my reputation or something. No mysterious 'unfinished stories' to tantalize readers into wild flights of fantasy. I'll just say, get someone who gets the idea and finish it! :D

Of course, my kin would have more say on the matter.

I remember Christopher Tolkien's 'The Book Of Lost Tales' book. It was not a rewriting per se, but more like an anthology of his father's works, with his own commentary. Anyway, any sort of attempt at continuing an author's work would come to me more as a compliment... unless the writer plainly sucks. In which case I'd haunt him forever. LOL

• Site Administrator
Personally if I go, any of my undone works will remain undone.

personally... if i was dead. lol. I wouldn't really care anymore about this world. Not even my reputation or something. No mysterious 'unfinished stories' to tantalize readers into wild flights of fantasy. I'll just say, get someone who gets the idea and finish it! :D

I'm more along Hylas's viewpoint than Jack's. That's because to me the story is the important thing, not me. I'll be surprised if anyone else has the same picture of where the story is going (though I can be pretty obvious with some of my plot lines), but if someone who is competent does, I wouldn't mind them finishing my story.

Hmm... Dom Luka should out live me, so maybe I should be nominating him, now?... Nah. I'd much prefer him to do his own stuff -- it's too good not to want more :D

And that's the biggest problem. Any author good enough that I'd like them to finish something I left is also good enough that they should be writing their own stuff instead.

Hmm... Dom Luka should out live me, so maybe I should be nominating him, now?... Nah. I'd much prefer him to do his own stuff -- it's too good not to want more :D

We all want more. We NEED more. ITFB needs to be finished. I've been waiting ever since I read it several months ago.

• Site Administrator
Am I the only one who finds it odd that people are wondering where Dom went to in a thread about continuing deceased authors works?

I don't think there's been a funeral yet.

That's my fault -- sorry. :*)

I was musing on who I'd like to finish my work, if I died without completing something, and Dom's name appeared. :ph34r: I should've known better than to bring his name up, since so many people are waiting for him to resurface. I apologise.

That's my fault -- sorry. :*)

I was musing on who I'd like to finish my work, if I died without completing something, and Dom's name appeared. :ph34r: I should've known better than to bring his name up, since so many people are waiting for him to resurface. I apologise.

Well, I agree to the fact that Dom should be writing his own work. He is too good a writer to continue other's... It would undermine his own works (which I highly doubt) :)