I am envious of the boy's wilderness experience. I hope we will get to experience the next group of boys in camp, at least a little, and how the first group settle in when they get back to school. It is interesting to read the extreme bias against women. The female characters you have created absolutely fit the mold you have described. In my experience the women like your characters are fewer in number. I do like the idea of solidarity and camraderie among males, but it seems to me women have an easier time of it. Maybe they are more programmed that way. I also like the message of deciding for yourself what is what. Too often other people way to control what we think or feel. Your story has been entertaining and thought provoking. I look forward to reading more.
An odd thought: it seems to me Australia has more than its fair share of "icky," poisonous things. I have wondered why, or if that's just my perception.