@Anton_Cloche I personally like this author and have enjoyed several of his works. He's obviously talented. He has certain things which are pretty consistent:
- Older teen / young adult male protagonist who usually buys & grows property, inherits property or travels (often by sea)
- Lack of romance and sex. Gay identity is typically a mechanism to be discriminated against
- Thin & over the top egregious villains who are put down, usually through legal means, and suffer/lose greatly due to their often unhinged and puzzling behavior
- Lack of character growth & lack of intimate relationship development (sometimes)
- Surprising inheritances often with a lack of intimate connection to the inheritance source
Quokka's stories are like a kid building with a Lego set. Sometimes they are really great (Pioneer farm building). I wonder if Quokka is in the autistic realm, which might explain the narrow but severe interests.
Where I lose interest starts with the repetition. Another older teen going sailing and doing all kinds of things to bring people onto his giant boats. The summer house that ascends/descends is truly bizarre and makes no sense to me. Why bother? Why does this remote cousin give him so much?
I'd like to see him try something different. How about a teen who helps coach baseball, or being a pioneer on a moon or asteroid, or an Australian in WWII or something. Quokka has a lot of talent and interesting ideas, I just think its how they are aimed and i think Anton's advice is good. For those of you who view things differently, I hope you enjoy his works and I'm not trying to put the guy down, I'm sharing how I react. That's all.