Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 37. Chapter 37 - Operation Porcupines

Let the hijinks begin...

Chapter 37 - Operation Porcupines

“Are you guys sure you’re fine with this?” Isaac said into the phone.

“Yeah, if you think it’ll help?” Kelli said. “Stop that.”

“What?” Isaac asked raising an eyebrow.

“Not you. Nothing. I was talking to Brandon,” she said.

“Just make sure you’re there at the appointed time,” Isaac checked his notes. “You gotta be there at six”

“No problem. How is this gonna work?”

“We just need a distraction. I’m not so concerned with Chuck but Dylan’s got a suspicious mind. We can’t let them start questioning things. That could ruin everything”

“If you need a distraction, I think we can do that,” Kelli giggled. Isaac heard murmuring in the background and then the sound of a slap. “Stop it. You’re terrible.”

“What is going on over there?” Isaac asked.

“Someone’s getting a little touchy. I mean nothing. We’re all set.”

Isaac hit end on the phone and looked at Raleigh. “We’ve got our distraction set up. So, have we got our stories straight?”

“Check,” Raleigh said looking over the timeline. “We’re ready to roll.”

“Got the props ready?”

“Yep,” his big blond boyfriend said holding up a bag, showing Isaac.

“Okay, Operation Porcupine commences in two hours.”

*********************

“Cupid, you old dog. How’s it going?” Skinny said.

“Not too good bud. Dylan’s not speaking to me,” Chuck growled.

“That’s too bad. Houdini did a disappearing act on ya?”

“We had a fight. I’m afraid he thinks I’m too much to deal with,” Chuck could feel the stinging in his eyes. He wouldn’t cry again. He wouldn’t.

“Sorry about that. You know, you gotta come to Buck’s tonight,” Skinny said.

“Don’t feel like going out,” Chuck said.

“Too bad. You’re gonna come see Muffin and I dance a little. You can’t sit around that apartment moping all night.”

“I don’t think I’d be much company,” Chuck groused.

“That’s what friends are for. We’ll get you a beer. Shoot the shit. You can tell us about what happened.”

“I don’t know?”

“Bacon and I’ll come kidnap you if you don’t. Say, ask that friend of yours to come along. Raleigh? Wasn’t that his moniker?” Skinny smiled into the phone.

“I don’t think his boyfriend would like that too much,” Chuck said. Just saying the word ‘boyfriend’ hurt.

“Well, it don’t cost anything to ask,” Skinny said. He mouthed “it’s working” to Muffin. The little ginger haired guy started to silently clap.

“I guess I could ask. I don’t want to sit here alone. My sister is out tonight on a date anyway.”

“There you have it. See you at six thirty,” Skinny turned to hush Muffin who looked like he was going to explode.

“Alright. But remember, you asked for my sorry ass,” Chuck grumbled.

They said their goodbyes and Chuck called Raleigh. Raleigh readily agreed to go with him. It seems Isaac was taking Dylan to the Saloon for happy hour. He wished he was going to the Saloon so he could see him.

************************

“Of course you’re going with me to happy hour at the Rail,” Isaac said. “Best thing for you.”

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” Dylan whined. “I just want to stay home and watch a movie.”

“Nonsense. You’re not sitting by yourself in the dark, dreary apartment. You’re coming out with me for a couple of drinks.”

Dylan paused and thought a minute. “Why don’t you come here? I’ve got booze.”

“Nope. I’m taking you out for a drink and a chat,” Isaac said.

“Why? What’s up?” Dylan asked.

“Nothing. I got a night alone. Raleigh’s going with Chuck to Buck’s tonight. I don’t want to think about you alone and hurting.”

“I’m not going to be much company I’m afraid,” Dylan said.

“Good. Then you can just listen when I tell you the latest gossip,” Isaac said. He crossed his fingers and Raleigh clenched his fists waiting and hoping.

“Alright. But, just for a couple of drinks. I don’t want to get all sad and maudlin,” Dylan said firmly.

“Good. I’ll pick you up at six fifteen then,” Isaac said.

“Six fifteen? That’s kind of an odd time,” Dylan said his voice sounding alarmed.

“Six then. Is that better?” Isaac figured he could just be a little late.

“Are you planning something?”

“Yeah. I’m planning on happy hour with you,” Isaac screwed up his face and hoped Dylan didn’t ask any more questions.

“Fine. Six o’clock it is,” Dylan moped. He really just wanted to lie on the couch and sob again. Actually, he wished he was going to Buck’s so he could see Chuck. That’s all he really wanted to do. He was regretting those words he could never take back. They were still out there pushing away Chuck. He wept silently.

**********************************

“You’re late,” Dylan said getting into Isaac’s little Tempo. The thing was held together with duct tape and prayers. It was a deathtrap and for the twenty seventh time he couldn’t understand why he agreed to go to the Rail.

“Sorry. Had to get gas,” Isaac said. “So, how’re you doing?”

“I’m okay, I guess,” Dylan said looking down. “I’m such an idiot.”

“Hey, you just overreacted. Why don’t you call him?”

“I can’t. He probably doesn’t want to speak to me ever again. I was like a madman that night,” Dylan’s face grew hot remembering. He was embarrassed more than anything. Well he was depressed and lonely more than embarrassed.

“A couple of drinks and some fresh news will help you forget about it for a while,” Isaac said. “Sometimes that helps.”

“I just want to stay home,” Dylan said. Isaac wanted to cry, his friend looked so forlorn. Gawd, he hoped this worked.

“You need to get out of that apartment and get some perspective,” Isaac smiled. “Do you good.”

“Maybe. Hey, what the hell?” Dylan exclaimed.

They had just approached Wedge Park, a little playground about a block from the Rail Station. Isaac had stopped at the stop sign and he looked over.

“He’s kissing Chuck’s sister,” Dylan shouted.

“What?” Isaac craned his neck. He thought seeing Brandon and Susie playing on the swing set would give them a little distraction so Dylan wouldn’t resist Isaac and Raleigh’s wacky plan. But, sure enough, Dylan’s brother had a serious lip lock on Chuck’s sister. They parted and holding hands walked over to watch their children swinging.

“My brother is dating Kelli?” Dylan asked the little blond guy.

“I guess, I mean, I had no idea,” Isaac mumbled. I guess they decided to really distract Dylan, big time. Talk about taking one for the team.

“Are they together?” Dylan asked no one. “Let me out.”

“NO!!” Isaac said quickly. “Do you want to embarrass them?”

Dylan sat back and thought. No. He didn’t want to confront his brother right now especially when Chuck’s sister and nephew were right there. “You’re right.”

Isaac soon parked and they headed into the Rail. It was practically empty and they got two drinks and sat at a table.

“So what’s this big news,” Dylan asked tiredly.

“Raleigh’s gonna come out to his mom,” Isaac said with a grin. “He wants me to meet his mom.”

*******************************

“This was a mistake,” Chuck said for the third time. “I shouldn’t drag you all down with me.”

“Forget it. We’re going to Buck’s to meet Skinny, Muffin and Bacon. It was a good idea,” Raleigh said trying not to smile too obviously.

“I just don’t want to be there without Dylan and now he’s gone,” Chuck choked. “Oh no. Shit!”

“What?”

“What if Vern is there? What if I get drunk and Vern hits on me and…”

Raleigh interrupted. “Not gonna happen buddy. I’ve got your back. Your sister made me promise to cut you off and I won’t let you do anything stupid.”

“I guess,” Chuck whispered. “Now why the hell are we stopping at the Rail?”

“I told you, Isaac wanted me to drop of this package.”

“Why couldn’t Isaac do it himself?” Chuck asked watching his friend closely.

“Because he asked, it’s on the way to Buck’s and I’m gonna get a little something, something out of doing him a favor,” Raleigh said grinning openly.

“Yeah. I guess I won’t be getting any of that anytime soon,” Chuck scowled.

“Never know buddy. You never can tell,” Raleigh said cryptically. Chuck looked at him and opened his mouth. He closed it and shook his head.

“What the?” Chuck yelled.

“What? What happened?” Raleigh asked.

“My sister is holding Dylan’s brother’s hand,” Chuck shouted.

“Are you kidding me?” Raleigh said and stopped at the sign. “What are they doing?”

“He just kissed her. Not a regular kiss either. They’re making out,” Chuck said. “Right in front of Brandon and Susie!”

“Well, I’ll be damned,” Raleigh said. “Never saw that one coming.”

“Holy shit,” Chuck said. “I wonder…”

“Okay, we’re here. Come in for a quick beer,” Raleigh said grabbing the package from the back seat.

“I’ll just stay here,” Chuck said. “They have beers at Buck’s.”

“Come in. We’ve got time. I want a cold one. It’s stinking hot out,” Raleigh said as casually as he could muster. They worried about this little hitch.

Chuck sighed. “Whatever,” he said and got out of the car.

They walked into the bar and it was dark enough they couldn’t see a thing until their eyes adjusted. Raleigh chewed on his fingernail hoping Isaac had been able to accomplish his part of the scheme. Chuck walked up to the bar and Raleigh looked around seeing Isaac’s brilliant white hair. He exhaled.

“What are they doing here?” they heard Dylan ask.

“It’s called an intervention,” Isaac said putting his hand on Dylan’s. “It’s courtesy of your friends and family.”

Chuck ignored the beer the barkeep set in front of him and slowly walked toward the table. Dylan was seething inside. He turned to Isaac and said, “You tricked me you little weasel.”

“That’s what you do with two jackasses who are too stubborn for their own good,” Isaac sat back and took a drink.

“Hey you,” Chuck said quietly. Dylan glowered for a moment at Isaac who was looking soberly at him.

“Hey back,” Dylan peeped. His heart was lodged in his throat at the sight of his, well, his boyfriend. That’s what Chuck was even now. Every bit of anger just flew out of his head.

“Can I sit with you?” Chuck asked carefully.

“Yeah, please,” Dylan said more normally. He couldn’t believe how attractive that face was right now. Everybody who called Chuck plain or ugly couldn’t have been more wrong. That was the face of an angel, an angel with icy blue eyes that were obviously, and plainly rimmed with red.

“Listen, I’m so sorry about the other night,” Chuck said in a rush. He leaned closer and could smell Dylan’s cologne and a little of his sweat from the heat of the day. It intoxicated him.

“No, it was me overreacting,” Dylan gushed. “I know you only meant well. I just took it wrong.”

“I didn’t mean to suggest you’re anything like Dewayne. I know you’d never do anything to hurt me like he did.”

“I know. I thought about it and I figured as much,” Dylan said smiling. “I was just confused about things.”

“I’m so sorry. I’m so miserable,” Chuck started crying. Dylan reached over and touched his face.

“I’m sorry too. I’m just so mixed up and I never told you the whole truth about Ron,” Dylan cried.

“Like what?” Chuck asked confused.

“He was married,” Dylan said. “When you said Dewayne was all those terrible things and that you knew me, I thought, well I thought about how I did wrong things, like I was the guilty one.”

“Ron was married?” Chuck said, shocked. “That’s why you couldn’t go to the funeral, isn’t it?”

“Yeah. It was a pretty ugly scene and I’ve felt so guilty about how I treated his family by being with him.”

“But that was Ron, not you who did that,” Chuck said leaning closer. “You just fell in love with him.”

“I guess. But, I didn’t handle it well,” Dylan snorted and coughed. “And now I’ve fucked us both up.”

“No. Please don’t say that,” Chuck said taking his hand. He kissed it. Dylan’s heart was breaking but he knew the right thing to do was to end it. Chuck was too vulnerable. Chuck was too honest and open. He’d end up hurting him.

“I think I’m just too broken to be with you,” Dylan sobbed.

“Bullshit,” Raleigh said. He handed Chuck his beer. “That’s grade A bullshit.”

“What the hell?” Chuck said angrily.

“Everybody has bullshit in their lives. We all deal with all kinds of crap and you don’t run and hide from it. I tried that and it made me a weirdo. I pretended that Cody didn’t beat me up. I pretended I wasn’t gay. It poisoned me.”

“Raleigh’s right,” Isaac said softly. “If I let my past keep me from Raleigh, my life would be so empty.””

“If I didn’t trust Isaac with my past, I’d be a shitty mess,” Raleigh said. They could see how much the big blond hunk felt this as the tears streamed down his face too. “Remember, I was a shitty mess and then a little angel with fiery green eyes saved me.”

Dylan shook his head stubbornly. “I’m happy for you guys but I just don’t know…”

“I want you Dylan,” Chuck said easing his chair closer. “Please don’t give up on me.”

“It’s not you Chuck. I’m the broken tool,” Dylan said.

“So am I. Can’t we be broken tools together?” Chuck was pleading. Dylan’s heart was turned inside out. How could they make it work?

“I am just so afraid.”

“Then I’ll be there to comfort you,” Chuck said.

“Like two porcupines,” Isaac said grasping Raleigh’s hand. “Just be like two porcupines in love.”

Dylan and Chuck looked askew at him. “What are you talking about?”

“How do two porcupines make love?” Raleigh asked looking at Isaac.

“Very carefully,” Isaac said grinning.

Chuck and Dylan looked at each other and laughed. Maybe they could be porcupines. Maybe they could make it work. Dylan didn’t want another night alone. Chuck wanted to take him in his arms. The two kissed and sobbed on each other.

Later, after settling down, the four men went to Buck’s. Chuck and Dylan, Cupid and Houdini, danced all night. Skinny, Muffin, Milk, and Stallion were right there beside them, relieved it had worked.

End Note
As the writer, I don't think Dylan and Chuck were ever really in any danger of being split up. But, every couple has an episode of despair and self-doubt. I had to honestly deal with that issue.
And, next we have Dylan meeting Nanna and the end of Porcupines. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I appreciate it.
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love where you got the name "Porcupines" from! lol

 

Their friends are wonderful! I absolutely LOVED the intervention! Especially the part where they're stopped at the stop sign and they BOTH see the two Kellis making out! That was funny! And Issac thought that was part of the distraction. lol

 

I'm so glad it worked. I'll tell you, Dylan is stubborn. He knew he overreacted, yet he didn't want to call Chuck b/c he thought Chuck would never want to hear from him again. How stupid is that? He knew Chuck loved him. Why was he so stubborn that he couldn't pick up a phone or even text Chuck apologizing to him ?

 

Men are so stubborn sometimes. I think it would be different with girls. I think girls are more apt to go crawling back with apologies.

 

Well, I'm glad their friends intervened and all is well in Porcupine land. ;)

Link to comment
On 11/18/2013 05:23 AM, Lisa said:
I love where you got the name "Porcupines" from! lol

 

Their friends are wonderful! I absolutely LOVED the intervention! Especially the part where they're stopped at the stop sign and they BOTH see the two Kellis making out! That was funny! And Issac thought that was part of the distraction. lol

 

I'm so glad it worked. I'll tell you, Dylan is stubborn. He knew he overreacted, yet he didn't want to call Chuck b/c he thought Chuck would never want to hear from him again. How stupid is that? He knew Chuck loved him. Why was he so stubborn that he couldn't pick up a phone or even text Chuck apologizing to him ?

 

Men are so stubborn sometimes. I think it would be different with girls. I think girls are more apt to go crawling back with apologies.

 

Well, I'm glad their friends intervened and all is well in Porcupine land. ;)

I am too. I loved the hi jinks idea and tried to make it as funny as I could. I appreciate your comments. Just one chapter left. Thanks so much Lisa.
Link to comment

That was so lovely. Their friends had a great plan and it worked. I think Dylan and Chuck are perfect together. :kiss:

Link to comment
On 11/19/2013 03:00 AM, Suvitar said:
That was so lovely. Their friends had a great plan and it worked. I think Dylan and Chuck are perfect together. :kiss:
I'm so glad you liked it. They are an adorable couple. Thanks.
Link to comment

Perfect make up.. The Kellys enjoyed being the distraction, I'm sure :o:P Life has a way of throwing us curves, even in the best of relationships. Sometimes you have to step back and take a breather, and let each other regroup not only their thoughts, but what's inside their heart.

Wonderful chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 03:24 AM, joann414 said:
Perfect make up.. The Kellys enjoyed being the distraction, I'm sure :o:P Life has a way of throwing us curves, even in the best of relationships. Sometimes you have to step back and take a breather, and let each other regroup not only their thoughts, but what's inside their heart.

Wonderful chapter!

Thanks. Randy kept asking why I threw the Kellies in for a distraction. I guess I just liked the boys finding out that way!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Now I'm all confused. How can Dylan meet Nanna? She's dead, isn't she? Or is that his other grandmother? Weird.

Anyway, loved the distraction of the two Kellies. And that the two porcupines were quickly brought to their senses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 10:11 AM, Timothy M. said:
Now I'm all confused. How can Dylan meet Nanna? She's dead, isn't she? Or is that his other grandmother? Weird.

Anyway, loved the distraction of the two Kellies. And that the two porcupines were quickly brought to their senses.

Yeah, it was his other grandmother. Nanna isn't dead. And yes, the porcupines need to find there way to make love very carefully. The Kellies had some fun too!!!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..