Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 26. Chapter 26 - Fight Night

They called him Bacon because the day they met him, he'd been out fishing on Lake Minnetonka. It had been a hot, sunny July day and he was burnt to a crisp. Oh, and he's a police officer too. Forgot about that.

Chapter 26 - Fight Night

“Dylan, why are you so quiet tonight?” Chuck asked and turned onto Penn Ave.

Dylan struggled with his emotions. He’d had a bad day, a really bad day at the restaurant and the last thing he wanted to do was go out. Chuck was so excited about this stupid night, Dylan didn’t want to ruin it but this was too much.

“I’m just tired,” Dylan lied. “I wish you would have gone without me.”

“I’m sorry, Hun. We won’t be late. You’ll have fun, I guarantee it,” Chuck had a permanent grin on his face ever since Dylan got to the apartment. “I can’t wait to show you off.”

“I don’t want to be shown off,” Dylan whined. “I just wanna stay home and have a drink.”

Chuck ignored his boyfriend’s bad mood. “Buck’s has a full bar. I’m buying tonight.”

“I’m gonna need a lot of them to get through this night,” Dylan mumbled out the window.

“What’d you say Hun?” Chuck asked, becoming concerned.

“I said I. Am. Going. To. Need. Alot of drinks to get through meeting a bunch of dumb hicks line dancing.” Dylan rudely added. “I’m just not in the mood for tolerating stupid rednecks hooting and hollering.”

Chuck hit the brakes. He pulled over and parked. “What’s your deal? Am I just some ‘dumb hick’ you have to tolerate?”

Dylan turned red with embarrassment. How could he have said something that rude?

“If I remember correctly, I watched you pick up a ‘stupid redneck’ at the Rail. Now that I want you to go to my bar and meet my friends, suddenly you’re too good for them?” Chuck was pissed. Dylan understood his fury. He tried to defuse his angry boyfriend.

“I’m meeting your friends? I didn’t know that. Why didn’t you tell me that?” Dylan tried to keep his temper in check.

“It was supposed to be a surprise. We get together every Tuesday night at Buck’s. I thought this would be the perfect way for you to get to know them without a big hassle,” Chuck explained angrily. “I didn’t know you needed to be prepared to meet my friends.”

“I didn’t know you had more friends,” Dylan sulked. He’d said exactly the wrong thing.

“Did you think my sister and Raleigh were the only people I know in the world?” Chuck was hot now, boiling. “Am I that pathetic?”

“No. Of course not. I just didn’t know,” Dylan said. He was making things worse. He hated seeing the dark cloud that covered his boyfriend’s face. It was making his heart burn and stomach roil.

“Maybe this was a bad idea. I should just turn around and drop you at your apartment. I invited Raleigh to join us but if you don’t want to, that’s fine. I don’t wanna be around you when you’re like this.”

Dylan felt terrible. How could he be such an asshole? “I’m sorry Chuck. I just had a really bad day and it’s making me act like a bitch. Let’s go to Buck’s. I want to meet your friends. It will be fun.”

“Are you going to insult them?” Chuck barked.

“No. I’m just feeling down on myself and it makes me cranky.”

“I’m sorry you had a bad day but that doesn’t excuse being mean,” Chuck pouted.

“I’ll be good. I just need to vent,” Dylan said pasting on a smile. “I love you,” he said hoping to calm Chuck down.

“I love you too.” Chuck thought for a second and then asked, “What happened that got you so upset?”

Dylan bit his lip and considered. Maybe it would help if he got it off his chest. Chuck would understand. He’d try to make it better, he hoped.

“One of my tables today was especially annoying. A group of people I went to college with came in to eat. They were telling me about their great jobs and the condos they bought. They were all bragging about how great their lives were and I was bringing them fucking water and barbeque sauce. It was humiliating.”

“Dylan. You’re going to grad school in January. You’re going to be a professor. Why do you care what other people are doing?” Chuck said gently. “You’re an amazing man and those people can’t hold a candle to you.”

“I know. I shouldn’t be jealous of other people, but I felt like they were judging me,” Dylan pouted.

Chuck paused for a moment. “If you really don’t want to go, I won’t be mad. You can meet them another time. It’s just I told’em I was bringing you and if I show up without you…”

“No. We’re going. You said Raleigh will be there and I can’t wait to meet your friends. I’m just being a little bitch. I’m fine now,” Dylan reassured his boyfriend. “Let’s go do some dancing.”

“If you’re sure. You had a bad day and I don’t want to make it worse.”

“I’m really fine. Let’s go,” Dylan said leaning over to kiss Chuck. “It’s time I met my other half’s friends.”

Chuck pulled back onto the road and soon they were at Buck’s. After they parked, Dylan came around and gave Chuck a hug. “I just don’t want you thinking I’m a fussy little princess.”

“I don’t. I’m afraid my friends aren’t cool like yours. They are just regular guys who work regular jobs and never went to college. I’m just not as successful as you.”

“Gawd, no. Chuck, you are the center of my life. Sunday night’s dinner party showed everyone how wonderful a chef you are. I want our lives to come together. I’ll love your friends. I’ll be a good boy, I swear.” Dylan said looking deeply into Chuck’s icy blues. “I don’t know why I said so many mean things. I was wrong.”

“Let’s start this evening over, okay?” Chuck had tears in his eyes. His feelings of inadequacy were weighing down on him. Right now, he thought this was a big mistake. Why would he think Dylan would want to spend his life with him?

“Give us a kiss,” Dylan said pulling Chuck closer. The kiss was so gentle, but so filled with soul that Chuck’s reservations disappeared. Dylan loved him for whatever reason. Nanna always said you take the gifts God gave you and didn’t question why. He had to have faith Dylan was right for him. Chuck smiled and gave Dylan another squeeze.

“Thank you. Should we go in?”

“I can’t wait,” Dylan said taking Chuck’s hand in his.

As they went into the bar, Dylan saw a bunch of men, and a few women, dressed nicely in jeans, boots, cowboy hats, and yoke shirts. There were some people in the center of the bar already dancing to a Garth Brooks song. The mood was electric and even though country wasn’t Dylan’s favorite genre, he was tapping his foot involuntarily.

“Dylan, Chuck, over here!” they heard screaming from over by the bar. They saw a very countrified Isaac waving madly at them. They walked over to the bar where Raleigh was also dressed in western regalia. While Isaac looked like he was in cowboy drag, Raleigh looked like he was in his own element.

“What’re you doing here?” Dylan asked grinning ear to ear.

“I’m going to do some line dancing and show off my cowboy,” Isaac gushed. “When I heard Raleigh was coming here, I had to come. I’ve got to keep an eye on him. Don’t wanna to lose him to some wrangler.” Isaac was clinging to Raleigh’s arm. Dylan felt like a heel. He put an arm around Chuck’s back. Chuck grinned back.

“I’ve only got eyes for you,” Raleigh said putting his arm around his little blond boyfriend.

“It’s not your eyes I’m worried about,” Isaac said. “I don’t care what you look at, but no touching.”

“Cupid!” they all turned toward a booming voice calling from down the bar. “Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes?”

Coming closer was a mountain of a man. He had to tip the scales at over 300 lbs. soaking wet. The guy had a big black beard and a shaved head. “Skinny!” Chuck answered smiling broadly. Dylan snorted. Of course the biggest guy in the place would be called ‘Skinny.’ “How’ve you been?”

“Good, Cupid,” the big man said giving Chuck a bear hug. “We’ve missed seeing you these past few weeks. I hear you’ve got yourself a special friend.”

Chuck stepped back and introduced him to Dylan. Dylan went to shake the man’s huge paw but Skinny enveloped him in his humungous arms. “No handshake for Cupid’s beau. Anybody who can get Cupid to miss three weeks of line dancing must be someone very special.”

Dylan blushed. He liked the huge guy’s infectious smile and deep bass laugh. In spite of himself, he was warming up to the place.

“Where’s Muffin?” Chuck asked.

“He was right behind me just a minute ago,” Skinny said looking around. The cutest little ginger haired guy peeked around the massive man and grinned. He was only about 5’4’ and so fair skinned Dylan could see the blue veins beneath his skin. He was pink with excitement and had a few scattered patches of scruffy facial hair. “Here I am,” he said in a voice even deeper than Skinny’s.

Muffin grabbed Chuck for a quick half hug and put his hand out for Dylan. “I’m this little guy’s boyfriend. My name is Carl, but here I’m called ‘Muffin.’ Dylan laughed and shook his hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” Muffin beamed. “We’ve been wondering who was keeping Cupid so busy he didn’t have time for his friends.”

“I didn’t know about Tuesday nights at Buck’s until this last weekend. I wasn’t trying to keep him from his friends,” Dylan said.

“I can see why Chuck didn’t have time for us,” Skinny said. “You’re quite the looker.”

Dylan reddened again. These guys were quite nice.

“I’m Isaac,” the little blond pushed forward. “And this is my boyfriend Raleigh. We’re friends of Chuck’s too.”

“Any friends of Cupid’s are friends of ours,” Muffin said shaking Isaac’s hand. Isaac didn’t find himself looking down at a guy very often. Muffin looked genuinely pleased to meet them. Raleigh shook hands with Skinny and Muffin while tipping his hat.

“Why do you call him Cupid?” Dylan asked, curious at the monikers these men had for each other.

“Because he introduced us,” Muffin said and took Skinny’s big hand in his. If there were ever a mismatched couple, these two were it. But the two men simply melted into one another as they talked.

“I can’t believe my eyes,” they heard beside them. “Is Cupid here with his new squeeze?” A beefy, muscular man in full cowboy dress approached. He had a handlebar mustache that was as deep brown as the hair escaping from under his hat. “We’ve been waiting to meet the guy who lassoed our bud.”

Once again, introductions were made and Dylan found the thirty something cowboy’s name was Rush, though everyone called him Bacon. The names seemed to be almost random but once again, Dylan found Chuck’s friends were warm, friendly, and very enamored with his boyfriend. Chuck was well liked and he felt even worse he hadn’t asked more about Chuck’s life outside of him.

“Now who is this tall glass of milk,” Bacon said reaching out to Raleigh.

“I’m Raleigh, Chuck’s coworker.”

“He’s also a really good friend,” Chuck piped in.

“Nice to meet you. That’s a really great lid you got there,” he said moving closer to the big blond hunk.

“I’m Isaac, Raleigh’s boyfriend,” the little blond said stepping in between them. “Really nice to meet you.” Isaac shook his hand and wrapped himself around Raleigh protectively.

“Hey, just making my acquaintance,” Bacon said grinning. “Got yourself quite the stallion protecting you Milk.” With that, Bacon turned to Chuck and Dylan. “I can see why you’ve been scarce Cupid. But why has it taken so long for you to bring Houdini to Buck’s?”

“Who’s Houdini?” Dylan asked confused.

“You are, of course,” Skinny said. “We’ve been calling you Houdini ‘cause you made Cupid disappear.”

Dylan and Chuck laughed. Chuck’s friends were having a great time joking and teasing one another. Within minutes, Dylan was Houdini. Raleigh was Milk. Isaac was Stallion. And of course, Chuck was still Cupid.

“Say, where is Vern?” Chuck asked Muffin.

“He couldn’t make it tonight. I think he decided it wouldn’t be a good scene for him.”

“Who’s Vern?” Dylan whispered to Chuck. Chuck flushed and said he’d tell Dylan later.

“Dylan, who is Vern?” Isaac pulled on Dylan’s arm.

“I don’t know. I think he’s not here because of me though,” Dylan mumbled back.

“I’ll find out,” Isaac said. He was sensing this would be juicy.

“Don’t cause any trouble,” Raleigh pulled his boyfriend to the side. “These are Chuck’s friends and I like it here. I wanna come back.”

Isaac nodded. “Don’t worry, I’ll be discrete. I like them too. They’re calling me your stallion.”

Isaac pulled Muffin aside and asked him who Vern is. Muffin looked around and said, “Vern is Cupid’s dance partner. He has it bad for the guy. When he heard Cupid hooked up with Houdini, he got really drunk and Skinny and I had to take him home with us. He was a mess for a few days. I think Vern just couldn’t handle seeing Cupid with someone else.”

“That’s too bad. He really likes Chuck huh?”

“No,” Muffin said. “He’s in love with Chuck. But, don’t tell Houdini. We don’t want him to feel bad.”

“Don’t worry about, um, Houdini. He’s in love with Chuck,” Isaac assured the ginger boy. “They’re really tight. They’re a pretty special couple.”

“What do you mean?” Muffin asked.

“If it weren’t for Chuck and Dylan, Raleigh and I would have never gotten together. They are sweethearts.”

“I know Cupid is the nicest man ever. Don’t worry about Vern’s issues.”

“Okay. Thanks for the info. I don’t want my friends to get hurt,” Isaac said.

“Cupid’s our friend too and if Houdini makes him happy, that’s what we want too,” Muffin concluded.

Chuck and Dylan were whispering together. Dylan was wide-eyed and pale. Chuck was hugging him. Isaac was worried so he went over to Raleigh. “So here’s the scoop,” and Isaac told Raleigh the story.

“Don’t get into this Isaac. They can handle it,” Raleigh warned.

“I know. I just know how upset Dylan can get. We have to help.”

“If we need to, then we help. Otherwise, let it go. Chuck never dated this guy. He was just his dance partner. It’s not Chuck’s fault the guy is gaga over him,” Raleigh said. “Leave well enough alone.”

Chuck had Dylan out on the dance floor and both men were laughing and seemed fine. Raleigh showed Isaac a few simple steps and before long, the two of them were whirling around the dance floor too. By the end of the night, the two couples had worn themselves out and also gotten to know Skinny, Muffin, and Bacon much better. Nothing more was said about Vern and the evening ended happily.

On the way home, Dylan was laughing and calling Chuck Cupid. Chuck responded by calling Dylan Houdini and it was an easy, happy ride home. When they got to Dylan’s apartment, Chuck fell on the couch and Dylan followed suit.

“So did you like my friends?”

“I did. I want to go back next Tuesday night with you,” Dylan said happily. “I need to get some clothes that fit in better.”

“You don’t have to do that,” Chuck said kissing him. “You look great in whatever.”

“I want to Chuck. I had a great time,” Dylan said. He thought for a minute and then plowed forward. “Why didn’t you tell me about them before?”

“I guess it never came up,” Chuck said. He was worried about where this discussion was going.

“I really like them. Skinny and Muffin are so sweet together. Bacon is absolutely a hoot.”

“They are great guys.”

“So, let’s talk about Vern,” Dylan said finally addressing the elephant in the room. “Why didn’t you tell me someone was in love with you?”

“Honestly, like I said back at the bar, I didn’t know. I mean, I knew he liked me. He’s asked me out about twenty times but we aren’t compatible. I didn’t know he felt that strongly about me.”

“That’s hard to believe,” Dylan said. “You didn’t know your dance partner wanted more?”

“I knew he wanted more. I just didn’t. He’s heavy into the dom/sub scene and I’m just pretty ordinary in my sexual tastes. He wanted a submissive guy and I like an equal relationship without anything weird.”

“Okay. Now I understand,” Dylan said. “But, do you have any other broken hearts out there? I want to be better prepared.”

“Trust me. Vern is the only one I can think of,” Chuck said.

“If you’re sure that’s all. Little did I know I was dating Casanova!”

“You’re not. You’re dating Cupid,” Chuck joked.

“And you’re dating a magician, or so I hear,” Dylan laughed. “They are a great bunch of guys though.”

“They are,” Chuck said. “I’m glad you got along with them so well.”

“By the way, what’s Vern’s real name?” Dylan asked.

“Vern. Why?” Chuck said and broke down laughing wildly.

Up next -
Relationships change people and that's a good thing. Not everyone likes change however. Some get quite upset about it and lash out. Or is that the reason?
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Looks like they made it through their first "bitch" squabble. It's funny in a relationship that the first one is always a surprise to one or the other. I guess at the beginning of a relationship, you have to learn the signs of when your other half is in a bitch mood. lol

Loved all of Chuck's friends. Feel a little sorry for Vern tho, but I really can't see Chuck in a dom/sub relationship. He's too shy and sweet. Perfect for Dylan.

I love Isaac. He's turned out to be one of my fav characters. You'll understand soon why I say that :P:funny:;)

Link to comment
On 10/16/2013 01:32 AM, joann414 said:
Looks like they made it through their first "bitch" squabble. It's funny in a relationship that the first one is always a surprise to one or the other. I guess at the beginning of a relationship, you have to learn the signs of when your other half is in a bitch mood. lol

Loved all of Chuck's friends. Feel a little sorry for Vern tho, but I really can't see Chuck in a dom/sub relationship. He's too shy and sweet. Perfect for Dylan.

I love Isaac. He's turned out to be one of my fav characters. You'll understand soon why I say that :P:funny:;)

Thanks Jo. I love isaac too. He is quite the spitefire. I'm intrigued by your comment. :)
Link to comment

Lovely chapter and some great nicknames :P It´s good that they found something that interests them both and Chuck´s friends seemed nice.

Link to comment
On 10/16/2013 05:21 AM, Suvitar said:
Lovely chapter and some great nicknames :P It´s good that they found something that interests them both and Chuck´s friends seemed nice.
Thanks. It was a fun chapter to write. They are quite the characters!
Link to comment

Oh man, Cole! First they fight, then they make up, then you put a little 'zinger' at the bottom about relationships and whatnot and now I'm afraid they'll be back to fighting by morning. lol

 

This was a fun chapter to read. I loved all their little nicknames. Very cute, Cole! :)

Link to comment
On 10/16/2013 02:40 PM, Lisa said:
Oh man, Cole! First they fight, then they make up, then you put a little 'zinger' at the bottom about relationships and whatnot and now I'm afraid they'll be back to fighting by morning. lol

 

This was a fun chapter to read. I loved all their little nicknames. Very cute, Cole! :)

Thanks Lisa. The roller coaster ride is just starting. Hands inside the ride. It's gonna get bumpy. Oh, and pretty cool too.
Link to comment
On 12/09/2013 07:44 AM, Slytherin said:
:lol: This chapter was very warm and funny and I liked all of Cupids friends and their cool nicknames :):D
I'm glad you like them. They are fun guys. Thank you!
Link to comment

Hmm, it's a bad sign that Vern doesn't have a nick name.

Chuck and Dylan was at the brink of something nasty but they managed to work it out. I have to admit I have sympathy for Dylan, though. I hate surprises like that, and I would have wanted to know this was a meet-the-friends situation beforehand.

Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 07:28 AM, Timothy M. said:
Hmm, it's a bad sign that Vern doesn't have a nick name.

Chuck and Dylan was at the brink of something nasty but they managed to work it out. I have to admit I have sympathy for Dylan, though. I hate surprises like that, and I would have wanted to know this was a meet-the-friends situation beforehand.

Into every relationship, rain must fall. Yeah, Vern doesn't seem like he'd accept a nickname well. I see your point about the surprise. That isn't something that should be sprung on a person. Thanks Tim!
Link to comment

Chuck a sub?  Hell no, not after the Greg incident as his first pseudo-relationship.  Wow, Bacon didn't get close to Raleigh before Isaac wrapped himself around his boyfriend.  How cute is that? :gikkle:  Your chapter lead-in with Bacon was the perfect place to foreshadow the nickname game.  That was genius! 

 

The first fight was a bit concerning but only because little lacks in communication can grow into bigger misunderstandings at light speed and they still have a lot to learn about each other.  There's already some stuff they're hiding from one another.  I'm hoping they are learning from this that it's better if they talk things out.  ~ Ms. V

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..