Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 36. Chapter 36 - P*I*E*C*E*S

Humans have evolved to include a strange affinity to other humans with which they have no direct blood relationship or allegiance. This affinity is called friendship and in Dylan and Chuck's case we can call them "the cavalry." Luckily they are coming.

Chapter 36 – P*I*E*C*E*S

“Iiiiii, fallllll to piii-eeeeces.

Isaac reached over and turned off the radio. “I can’t listen to Patsy Cline at a time like this,” he said to Raleigh. His big blond hunk was driving him to work. He’d just gotten off the phone with Dylan agreeing to take his shift. The poor guy was a mess.

“I understand. I love Patsy but now is definitely not the time,” Raleigh said to his diminutive blond boyfriend. He’d just gotten off the phone with Chuck. He’d sounded devastated on the phone.

“Do you think they’ll really break up?” Isaac’s voice cracked. Everything had seemed perfect between their friends until last night. Isaac was confused by what Dylan said about Chuck. It just didn’t sound right.

“I don’t know. Chuck thinks it’s over. He’s blaming himself,” Raleigh said. “I’m worried about him. He has depression issues I think.”

“Dylan is heartbroken and can’t believe Chuck thinks so poorly of him,” Isaac sighed. “It must be some kind of misunderstanding.”

“Gotta be. Those two are so in love. How about we figure out what happened? Maybe we can fix it,” Raleigh said slowly.

“I don’t know. Dylan’s pretty upset. What are we gonna do?” Isaac said. He was looking out the window watching other cars go by. Other people had problems and issues and you couldn’t know exactly what they are. He saw a nice couple in an SUV and the man and woman were laughing together. They could be married. They might be new lovers. Hell, they could be brother and sister for all he knew.

Suddenly he turned and said to Raleigh, “Let’s give it a shot. Tell me what Chuck told you.”

“He said he told Dylan the story of his ex-boyfriend Dewayne. You know, that guy that screwed him over. It was going well until he told the last part of the story. Then, Dylan started yelling at him, “I’m not fucking like that. I’m not that way. How dare you compare us?”

“Was Chuck comparing Dylan to that creep?” Isaac asked.

“Not according to Chuck. He said Kenny told him how Ron cheated on Dylan. Chuck told Dylan the story to show Dylan he knew how it felt.”

“Oh no,” Isaac said, his voice going a register lower. “I’m getting a sinking feeling here.”

“What?” Raleigh said and missed the turn to the mall. “Shit. Babe, I gotta go around again.”

“No problem,” Isaac said. “What else did Chuck tell you?”

“Chuck said he told Dylan he loved him and understood what he was going through and then Dylan told him to leave his apartment. Chuck said his exact words were, “get the fuck out and don’t you ever speak to me again.”

“Ouch,” Isaac said. “That’ll be hard to take back.”

“Chuck just wishes Dylan would forgive him. He feels terrible. Chuck thinks Dylan got so upset because it was too much to take. He thinks his life is too fucked up for words. I’m glad he’s at his sister’s. He shouldn’t be alone.”

“Holy crap on a cracker,” Isaac said realizing something. “Chuck didn’t know.”

“Chuck didn’t know what?”

“Dylan never told him,” Isaac said in amazement. “I knew Dylan was living in denial but I never thought he’d just whitewash the whole thing.”

“Isaac. I’m not following you.”

“Ron was married.”

Raleigh stopped the car and looked over at Isaac. “The man who Dylan was seeing and died was married?”

“Yes. That’s why Dylan couldn’t go to the funeral. Ron’s wife and family didn’t know about him. Ron had two kids with her and another on the way. Dylan never told Chuck that part I bet.”

“But, what?” Raleigh’s mouth hung open.

“Let me tell you what Dylan told me,” Isaac said. “Let’s get out of traffic though.”

“Sure.” Raleigh pulled the car back into drive and parked at a side street.

“What did Dylan say happened?”

Isaac took a deep breath. “That’s why what Dylan said didn’t make sense to me. Dylan told me Chuck told him the whole story about his cheating, thieving ex and then at the end said, ‘I wanted you to know I understand you.’ Dylan thought Chuck meant that HE was a lying cheater. That’s what Dylan has felt like ever since Ron and he hooked up. Dylan felt like he was breaking up a family. After Ron died, he felt guilty about what he did.”

“You mean Dylan was the ‘other woman?” Raleigh said, weighing the idea with his perception of Dylan.

“Dylan couldn’t get over it. I mean, Ron’s wife didn’t make it any easier either.”

“What do you mean?” Raleigh asked.

“Dylan called Ron’s apartment when he didn’t show up for a date. Ron’s wife answered the phone and freaked out on him. Dylan was inconsolable. She was pregnant with another child. I don’t think he’s ever gotten over it.”

“But Dylan wasn’t cheating on anyone, right?”

“No,” Isaac said. “He just felt bad about the situation. After Ron died, he created this imaginary Ron who was perfect and honest and pure. Ron was an okay guy but he wasn’t just cheating on his wife. He cheated on Dylan with other guys too.”

“And Dylan knew about it?”

“Dylan found out. Ron cheated with Chad. After he died, Ron’s best friend Adam told Dylan how they had sex all the time too.”

Raleigh rubbed his jaw. “Sounds like Ron wasn’t quite the catch Dylan made him out to be.”

“I think Dylan would have kicked him to the curb but when he died, his feelings got messed up and he started idealizing the guy. In his little fantasy, Ron was the perfect lover. That’s why Dylan gets so pissed every time someone brings up the past. In reality, Ron was just a big old garden variety whore.”

“Wow. So you think Dylan’s guilt made him believe Chuck thought he was the bad guy and not Ron,” Raleigh summarized Isaac’s thoughts. Isaac just nodded.

“He’s been so deluded by it. I think something in his brain snapped.”

“Do you think we can help?” Raleigh asked.

“I don’t know. This is too fucked up for words,” Isaac said.

********************************

“How’s Chuck doing?”

“He’s okay. Better than I expected really. He’s been playing with Brandon a lot. Spending time with my son seems to make him feel better,” Kelli said. “How’s Dylan?”

“My brother’s a mess,” Kelly answered. “He’s finally figured out Chuck wasn’t insulting him. He’s also admitting Ron was a scum-sucking pig. I don’t have to pussy foot around that subject any more. Perhaps he’s finally getting over the guy.”

“I wish there was something we could do for them,” Kelli sighed.

“I know. I think they just need to talk it out.”

“Chuck thinks he’s too damaged for a relationship. He won’t even say Dylan’s name around me.”

“Dylan’s just as bad. He thinks Chuck won’t forgive him for what he said that night.”

“If only we could get them together. I think they’d see how much they love each other and stop being so crazy.”

“That’s not going to happen with Dylan. He’s so embarrassed. My brother needs to do this himself.”

The phone was silent as both contemplated their brothers messed up lives.

“Enough about them,” Chuck’s sister perked up. “How are you doing?”

“I’m missing you. Can you come over?” Dylan’s brother asked. “We could have another slumber party.”

They both laughed at each other. It felt good to laugh. After that night, they spent more and more time together and the kids were becoming closer and closer. Both had decided not to tell their families just yet. Considering the shit storm between Chuck and Dylan, their decision seemed especially wise right now. It had only been two weeks since the two Kellies had gotten together, but that time had flashed before their eyes. Apart, it seemed like months. But together, time passed too quickly.

“See you in a few,” Kelli said.

“My turn to come over. I’ll get Susie and pack a bag,” Kelly said making smooching noises to his gal at the end.

**********************************

Raleigh was sitting at the bar having a vodka soda waiting for Isaac’s shift to end. He saw Lynora and Krill sitting in a booth laughing. They looked so happy together. Those two were yet another couple that Chuck and Dylan had “influenced” into getting together. He and Isaac owed everything to them. If only he could DO SOMETHING. It was so frustrating.

“Get over here and join us,” Krill waved to his employee.

“I’m just waiting for Isaac. I wouldn’t want to intrude.”

“Intrude? Naw, I get tired of this old bear’s same old stories. Come sit with us and chat,” Lynora laughed. Krill pretended to look hurt but it didn’t work. He was soon kissing on her again. She giggled like a teenager. Krill wasn’t much better. People in love weren’t grown up. People in love were like children again.

“Okay. I’ll come over.”

Soon they were all chuckling and talking about movies and email jokes they’d seen. It was silly and Raleigh’s mood elevated quickly. Isaac walked by and smiled at him. He grinned back and thought he probably looked as goofy as Lynora and Krill did. Love was a silly thing.

“I’m just going to get a drink and join you guys,” Isaac said and went to the bar.

“I was going to ask you two, how do you handle each other’s pasts?” Raleigh asked. He didn’t know why that occurred to him, but wasn’t that what was messing with Dylan and Chuck?

“We’re very kind to each other,” Lynora said. “Everyone has baggage and the sooner you know that and accept it, the better things are.”

“Yeah. I thought I’d never really date again but when you look past old hurts and respect the other one’s issues, it isn’t so hard,” Krill said.

“What are we suddenly so serious about?” Isaac said sitting down next to Raleigh.

“Raleigh just wanted to know how we handle having our past histories. Is there trouble in paradise?” Lynora asked poking her nephew.

“Not with us,” Isaac said. “Poor Dylan and Chuck are in a spat and we’re trying to help. We just don’t know how.”

“What happened?” they both asked. Isaac filled them in on the story about Dylan and Chuck’s fight two days ago. Lynora didn’t look sympathetic any more. She blew a raspberry.

“Dylan needs to learn how to let things go. Life’s too short for holding onto things that don’t matter anymore. I need to talk with that boy.”

“He’s really upset. Chuck’s a mess. Both of them think it’s too complicated for them to be together.”

“Well then Dylan better start dating only eighteen year old virgins because everyone has baggage,” Lynora snorted. “Krill, tell him about porcupines.”

“What about porcupines?” Isaac asked.

“Do you know how two porcupines make love?” Krill leaned forward. Both guys did so as well.

“How?”

“Veeeerrrryyyyy cccccaaarrrreeffffuuuulllllyyyyy,” he whispered.

“What does that mean?” Raleigh said.

“It means when you both have thorny issues and difficult pasts you just carefully maneuver around each other. You don’t want to get poked, so you’re extra special to one another,” Krill answered.

Raleigh and Isaac looked at each other. A plan began to form in their heads. It wouldn’t be easy and there would be tears but Chuck and Dylan back together would be worth it.

Isaac called Chuck’s sister.

Raleigh called Dylan’s brother.

Strangely enough, it sounded like they were in the same room. The guys wondered about that afterwards.

Just two chapters to go. We have to see if Raleigh and Isaac can get the boys together and if Lynora's advice will get them to talk. Hope so.
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Every time when I think there can´t be anything worse in their pasts, you make it worse :(What a horrible person Ron was! Poor Dylan and Chuck, they really aren´t making it easy for themselves. Hopefully their friends come up with a very good plan. I think Chuck and Dylan belong together. :hug:

Only two more chapters? I´ll miss them when you finish writing about them, it´s been a great story. :thankyou:

Link to comment
On 11/15/2013 07:16 PM, Suvitar said:
Every time when I think there can´t be anything worse in their pasts, you make it worse :(What a horrible person Ron was! Poor Dylan and Chuck, they really aren´t making it easy for themselves. Hopefully their friends come up with a very good plan. I think Chuck and Dylan belong together. :hug:

Only two more chapters? I´ll miss them when you finish writing about them, it´s been a great story. :thankyou:

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying the characters and the story. Pretty special to me too.
Link to comment

I must have been hiding under a rock b/c I never saw this updated. lol

 

Firstly, I can't believe Dylan would think Chuck was tellling him about Dewayne b/c Chuck though DYLAN was the lying, cheating, thieving bastard. It doesn't soundl like Dylan. Neither did Dylan telling Chuck to get out of his apartment and never speak to him again. That didn't sound like Dylan.

 

Thank God he finally realizes how wrong he was.

 

I can't believe Ron - what a scumbag! His poor wife! Imagine how she felt finding out that her dead husband was a lying, cheating bastard! And she had three kids to take care of!

 

Ok, on to the next chapter! :)

Link to comment
On 11/18/2013 04:22 AM, Lisa said:
I must have been hiding under a rock b/c I never saw this updated. lol

 

Firstly, I can't believe Dylan would think Chuck was tellling him about Dewayne b/c Chuck though DYLAN was the lying, cheating, thieving bastard. It doesn't soundl like Dylan. Neither did Dylan telling Chuck to get out of his apartment and never speak to him again. That didn't sound like Dylan.

 

Thank God he finally realizes how wrong he was.

 

I can't believe Ron - what a scumbag! His poor wife! Imagine how she felt finding out that her dead husband was a lying, cheating bastard! And she had three kids to take care of!

 

Ok, on to the next chapter! :)

Thanks Lisa. Dylan's cognitive dissonance was that Ron was so perfect yet really wasn't caught up with him. At least that's what I was going for.
Link to comment

I always wondered where you got the title to the story, and it fits perfectly.

Ron was quite the piece of crap wasn't he, and messed Dylan up in a pretty huge way. Raleigh and Isaac are pretty perceptive about the two Kellys. LOL.

Can't wait to see how you fix this :P:read:

Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 03:10 AM, joann414 said:
I always wondered where you got the title to the story, and it fits perfectly.

Ron was quite the piece of crap wasn't he, and messed Dylan up in a pretty huge way. Raleigh and Isaac are pretty perceptive about the two Kellys. LOL.

Can't wait to see how you fix this :P:read:

You know, it wasn't the working title. It was called Security about two men who were insecure and found each other. But, I'm glad I changed the name. Porcupines is much better.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
:blink: Ron married... I did not see that coming! Wow... what a douchebag! At least it sounds like Dylan is starting to realize the truth. I was wondering about the title as well. It fits so perfectly! On to the next chapter...
Link to comment
On 05/27/2014 01:46 AM, Valkyrie said:
:blink: Ron married... I did not see that coming! Wow... what a douchebag! At least it sounds like Dylan is starting to realize the truth. I was wondering about the title as well. It fits so perfectly! On to the next chapter...
Yeah. You are getting the picture of how truly deluded Dylan really is.
Link to comment

:facepalm: Dylan

Poor Chuck :no:

If Isaac pulls this off, he's redeemed himself in my eyes. :yes:

And Chad is a scumbag, but Dylan couldn't face that without facing the truth about Ron too. Talk about delusional. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 10:02 AM, Timothy M. said:
:facepalm: Dylan

Poor Chuck :no:

If Isaac pulls this off, he's redeemed himself in my eyes. :yes:

And Chad is a scumbag, but Dylan couldn't face that without facing the truth about Ron too. Talk about delusional. :rolleyes:

Yeah, there's quite a bit of delusion going on. Isaac is a pretty stubborn guy and I don't think he'll let this go lightly. Thanks Tim!!! I'm having a blast reading your impressions. It's reliving the story for me.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, no wonder Dylan broke down so hard on his walk of shame at the beginning.  Almost sleeping with a married guy again would trigger anyone.  Isaac was such a shit about it that first time.  Now is the time to redeem himself, as @Timothy M. said.:yes:  Ah, the compassionate scheming of friends and family that want to help.  I hope we're close enough to the end that it works out well.  ~chuckle~  Ms. V

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..