Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 24. Chapter 24 - Final Course

There is a good reason to have doubts about ourselves. It makes our actions more, well, deliberate.

Chapter 24 - Final Course

“Ooh, this is kinda spicy,” Dylan’s brother said after taking a bite and savoring it. Chuck and Dylan had served the dessert course and the group was having their first taste of the pie and sauce. “It’s got a kick to it.”

“I wanted it to taste like a cinnamon red hot and apple,” Chuck explained.

The group nodded that was exactly what they were getting. It was spicy but the creamy, cool, custardy sauce was just the right taste to counteract yet accompany the heat. Dylan watched as the guests filled out the last slips of paper. He thought it had been a great success. Everyone had eaten their plates clean and hopefully this would help Chuck decide which recipes to submit for the scholarship. Overall, everyone seemed to be having a great time.

“I’ll take those final comments so we can them read later,” Dylan said taking them from the table.

“I gotta ask. What did you think about the overall meal?” Chuck asked quietly. “I’m just wondering if the meal came together.”

“It was fantastic,” Krill said. “Best meal I’ve had in ages.”

“I loved it bro. But then you know how much I love your food,” Kelli said.

“The courses went together well I thought,” Isaac said taking another bite. Dylan was happy the little, rapscallion blond was being kind to Chuck.

“Bro, what do you think?” Dylan asked the other Kelly.

“I think Chuck told a very nice story,” Kelly said smacking his lips with gusto.

“You know, I was just thinking there was definitely a theme running through this meal,” Lynora smiled at Kelly.

Dylan watched his brother and boss and wondered where their trains of thought were going. Kelly had worked as a sommelier at a resort when he was in college. But, he hadn’t thought his brother would conjure up what Chuck had planned. Now Lynora was a different story. He expected her to figure something out but what was she thinking?

“What story?” Krill asked nudging his date.

“I think the theme of Chuck’s meal was simple, ordinary foods made spectacular with a few, elegant touches,” Lynora said.

“Huh,” Dylan said. Lynora’s idea was so close to what they’d discussed for Chuck’s essay. His appreciation of his brother was soon elevated too.

“I think Chuck was telling the story of himself as a cook,” Dylan’s brother started. “He took the simplest, most ordinary ingredients from different places around the country and made them special.” Dylan and Chuck stared at him, but Chuck’s sister asked him what that meant.

“Think of the main ingredient for each course; crawfish, catfish, pork roast, potatoes, and apples. These are homespun, inexpensive, simple foods that are usually just plain dishes for regular folk. With each course, he took those ingredients and made them haute cuisine. For example, bisques are usually made with something expensive crab or lobster. Chuck took what Cajuns call “Mudbugs” and made them into a delicious, expensive tasting dish. Same thing with the pork roast. Usually, that’s a Sunday dinner served with mashed potatoes and gravy. He elevated it to fine dining. And those apples were magnificent with the spiciness of the glaze and the cool, richness of the sauce.”

“So, what you’re saying is Chuck’s food said, ‘I may be a simple country boy, but with care and technique, I can make food that is truly special.’ Chuck’s sister said.

“Yep,” Dylan’s brother said and Lynora was nodding right along with him. Dylan laughed at Chuck’s shocked face. When Dylan told him what the theme of his essay should be based on the menu, Chuck told him that was silly. Now that his brother, and Lynora, articulated the same conclusions, he was awestruck.

“I just bought what I could afford,” Chuck said. “I didn’t mean it to say all kinds of thoughtful things.”

“Maybe you didn’t set out to say what it conveyed, but did you feel that way?” Kelly asked.

“Yeah,” Chuck conceded. “That was how I felt as I created the menu. I thought, this is simple stuff from a simple guy but with an education I could make the food sing.”

“That you did, my boy. That you did,” Lynora said patting her stomach. “It was truly an amazing meal.

“I’m glad you liked it.”

Everyone gushed to Chuck about the meal. They all thought the scholarship would be his for the taking. Chuck enjoyed the compliments but was still anxious. If he could get into that school and learn how to cook, maybe his dream would come true. It was a long shot but Dylan thought it was possible. Dylan made him feel like he could do it. Just maybe, with that sweet, gorgeous man at his side, he’d be able to do it.

“Chuck?” Krill asked. “What the hell are you doing as a mall cop when you can cook like this?”

“I don’t know how to do this in a restaurant,” Chuck explained. “I can cook at home just fine but at a restaurant it is way different.”

“That’s true,” Lynora said. “Have you ever cooked in a restaurant?”

“Only in a couple of greasy spoons. I was a breakfast cook at a local truck stop for a while in Brewster and then worked at Embers for a couple of summers. I can’t do real cooking yet which is why I want to go to school.”

“So you’ve worked a grill and a line before,” Lynora asked casually.

“Oh yeah. Did prep at Embers too. But, I need the skills to do fine dining,” Chuck explained.

Lynora chewed her lip thoughtfully. The others moved into the living room to continue their conversations. Krill stayed behind and asked her what was on her mind. She told him softly. He nodded in agreement.

*******************

“Chuck, you’re not going to believe this. Isaac went to a Bruce Willis action flick,” Dylan called over to his boyfriend.

“It’s not that big a deal,” Isaac said giggling. “I go to lots of movies.”

“Just a month ago you would pretend vomit when I mentioned that movie,” Dylan was laughing and pointing at his little blond friend.

“Yeah, well it was a good movie, scary at times, but that was kind of fun,” Isaac said.

“He kept hiding his eyes in my shirt,” Raleigh snickered. “It’s cute though.”

“You didn’t seem to mind,” Isaac said fake slapping the bigger blond guy.

Raleigh put his arm around Isaac and pulled him close. “I loved it. We have to go to more action movies.”

“Yeah, we do,” Isaac said and kissed his guy.

“Dylan, can we get some of that cognac I gave you or did you drink it with diet orange pop or something,” Dylan’s Kelly asked winking at Chuck’s Kelli. “I keep it here because otherwise I’ll drink it all.”

“It’s nice after a good meal,” Kelli nodded.

“Want some?” The other Kelly asked. Chuck’s sister said she did. “Make it two Dylan.”

“Can I get some of that action?” Krill said and Lynora wanted one as well. Soon most of the guests were sipping brandy and chatting about things.

The evening passed quickly and soon the two Kellies left one after the other. Lynora and Krill got ready to leave. Chuck and Dylan went to the door with their respective bosses. “That was such a good dinner Chuck. You really have a gift,” Lynora said winking at Dylan and Krill.

“You know Chuck, I didn’t want to tell you earlier, but I’m gonna have to let you go,” Krill said. Chuck’s jaw dropped.

“What? I thought everything was okay at work. Are you firing me?” Chuck was close to tears. Dylan was about ready to start yelling. His face was beet red. Krill was grinning ear to ear which the red-haired guy thought was especially rude.

“Yeah, your talents are wasted walking the perimeter,” Krill said.

“What the…” Dylan said.

“Chuck, you’re going to start at Sweet Nora’s in two weeks. Krill and I won’t take no for an answer. You need some kitchen experience and I’m gonna give you that,” Lynora said, beaming at the two boys.

“Are you kidding me?” Chuck said, the tears of joy spilling from his eyes. Dylan grabbed his boss and gave her a big sloppy kiss. “You’re really giving Chuck a job at the restaurant?” He was crying too. In his excitement, Dylan turned to Krill and kissed him as well.

“Whoa, boy. I’m happy to get a hug but I don’t need any kisses from other guys,” Krill laughed and gave the Dylan a big hug. Chuck reached out to shake Krill’s hand but the big guy bear-hugged him too.

“You will be doing the diners in this city a favor by doing what you were meant to and that means cooking,” Krill said. “I mean it. You’re done in two weeks.”

Lynora leaned over and whispered something to Dylan. “Wait till we leave,” Lynora said laying a finger over the waiter’s lips. Dylan happily nodded his head. Chuck looked with raised eyebrows at his boyfriend. Dylan mouthed him to wait.

After Lynora and Krill left, Dylan turned to Chuck. “What was that about?” Chuck asked.

“Lynora said she’s giving you a 20% raise from what you’re making now,” Dylan said, his eyes shining.

**********************************************

After telling Isaac and Raleigh the good news, Chuck hugged Dylan again. “I have you to thank for this. You made it happen.”

Dylan grinned at his boyfriend. “No, you made a fantastic meal and showed Lynora what you could do. I just got the two of you together.”

“Well, you’re officially off kitchen duty for the evening Hun,” Chuck said. “I’ve just got a couple of dishes to wash and put away and then I’ll join you guys for a celebratory drink.” Dylan tried to protest but Raleigh got in his way.

“I’m gonna help my buddy finish up. Have a drink and relax,” the big blond stud said and went with Chuck into the kitchen.

“You don’t have to help Raleigh. You’re a guest,” Chuck said.

“Nope. I’m helping you. That’s what friends do,” Raleigh said grabbing a dish towel. Chuck started washing dishes and putting them in the rinse sink. Raleigh pulled a plate out and started drying.

“I’m real proud you got a job at the restaurant,” Raleigh said. “You get to do what you’ve always wanted and that is so cool.”

“It is. I just hope I don’t disappoint Lynora,” Chuck said.

“I’m gonna miss working with you,” Raleigh said quietly. “It was real nice getting to know you.”

“Well, now we’ll just hang outside work. I’m not going to stop being your buddy just because we don’t work together,” Chuck said smiling at Raleigh. The worried look on Raleigh’s face disappeared into a genuine grin.

“Yeah, that would be cool,” Raleigh said.

“Do you work Tuesday night?” Chuck asked.

“No, wanna hang out?” he answered happily.

“Sure, every Tuesday night at Buck’s Roadhouse is gay country line dancing night. I meet up with a couple of friends there and we dance and tip back a couple.”

“That sounds great,” Raleigh said happily. “It would be fun meeting more people, and talking with my buddy of course.”

“Sounds good. I’m bringing Dylan because he hasn’t met any of my friends yet, except you of course.”

“Cool,” Raleigh said and he was bopping around the kitchen like a little kid on a sugar high.

“Say, Raleigh, can I tell you something. It’s been eating at me and I just need to get it off my chest,” Chuck asked soberly.

“Anything. You’re by best pal. I’m here for you,” the blond guy said excitedly.

“You can’t tell anyone, even Isaac.”

After Raleigh assured his friend this conversation was confidential, Chuck expressed his worry.

“I’m not the best looking guy in the world and Dylan is so beautiful, what if he wakes up some morning and looks at me and runs in the other direction.” Chuck looked thoughtfully at Raleigh.

“You’re not an ugly guy,” Raleigh said carefully. “I mean, you have a smoking body and it seems Dylan is really into you. Why are you so worried? Have you guys had any problems?”

“No, nothing like that. I mean, Dylan is the most beautiful man I’ve ever met and I’m just so plain looking. Is he gonna get tired of me?”

“Dude. I don’t really know what to say. I’m pretty new at this myself. I keep pinching myself every time Isaac touches me or smiles at me. I feel like I’m watching a movie or something. How can that adorable little guy like a dumb hick like me?”

“But you’re a gorgeous, big handsome guy Raleigh. You know that. Isaac worships the ground you walk on. I mean, the way he looks at you is like he’s really in love with you,” Chuck said, reassuring.

“Dylan looks the same way at you,” Raleigh said. “Every time you are talking or moving around the table picking up plates or putting them down, he’s watching everything you do. He was just beaming with pride.”

“I hope so,” Chuck said. “Sometimes I’ll wake up before him and just look at his beautiful face. It makes me feel weak inside. But when he talks to me, I just feel like I could take on the world. I don’t know,” Chuck said. “Now I sound like a psycho or something.

“No, you don’t. I know exactly how you feel. I’ve never been in love so I don’t know if that’s what Isaac and I have but I feel that way too. Like at the movie we went to. It was so cute. There would be a fight scene or something unexpected would happen and Isaac would grab ahold of me or hide his eyes in my sleeve. I reached around and held his shoulders tight. I just wanted to protect him and make him feel safe.”

“Yeah. I feel the same way sometimes. I think that’s love,” Chuck said. “I think you might be in love.”

Raleigh and Chuck finished doing the rest of the dishes in silence but with radiant smiles on their thoughtful faces.

In the living room…

“Isaac, I told you I’m not having this conversation with you. I don’t have a tape measure sitting on my bed stand and even if I did I’m not telling you how big Chuck is,” Dylan said exasperated at his little blond friend.

“Well I do and Raleigh is really big, like over nine inches, oh my Gawd,” Isaac gushed.

“Let’s just say Chuck is just right. He’s not too big, he’s not too small. He’s just right,” Dylan giggled.

“Raleigh makes me feel like I’m inside out at times. Oh, Dylan. I’ve never had a lover make me feel so good,” Isaac said. “Even outside of bed, he’s the best.”

Dylan watched as Isaac’s demeanor began to change from excited little sprite, to concerned.

“What’s the matter?” he asked him finally.

“I’m falling in love with him,” Isaac said.

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Dylan said squinting at his friend.

“It’s the best thing ever and I’ve never been more scared in my life,” Isaac said slowly. “What if he gets sick of me like all the other guys have? I’m the happy party guy but when it comes to building a relationship, they all say goodbye after a few times in the sack.”

“I don’t think Raleigh is that kind of guy. He strikes me as kind of conventional. He looks at you like you’re a china doll he’s afraid he’ll break. Raleigh just adores you Isaac.”

“Do you think? I hope so because I’m falling hard and fast and this could hurt if he leaves me,” Isaac said. “Don’t you dare tell anyone I said that about him. I’ll deny it and kill you.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” Dylan said. “I think I’m in the same boat. Yeah, we’ve both said ‘I love you,’ and we are officially ‘together,’ but I worry I won’t be enough for him. I’m just this boring geeky guy who will be studying and writing for the next two years. What if he wants someone more exciting?”

Isaac looked perturbed. “Chuck loves you so much he can barely keep his hands off you. He follows you around and does whatever you ask without even stopping to think. He’s got it bad for you.”

“I hope so because I’ve never felt like this about anyone else,” Dylan said taking a drink. “Not even Ron made me feel so, well, content.”

“I’m so proud of you because when I first met Chuck I thought, Dylan’s gonna ride that hobby horse and put him out to pasture. He’s not a conventionally handsome man, like you usually date,” Isaac commented.

“I find him intensely attractive,” Dylan said through slit eyes. “I think Chuck is smoking hot.”

“Good. I’m glad. That’s why I said I was proud of you. He does have a killer bod. He is the most talented chef I’ve ever met. Chuck is also a really sweet guy who will move the stars for you. I think that’s the trifecta of love. Dylan, you saw past his face and that’s why I think you are in love with him.”

Dylan thought about Isaac’s words for a while. He carefully responded. “I just hope we don’t end up like my parents.”

“What do you mean?” Isaac asked.

“I just hope we can be nice to each other. My parents were so in love when I was little. Then, after a while, it all started turning to shit. Of course, nothing my father ever did was good enough for her. I just hope I don’t become like her and turn into a raging harpy.”

“Dylan, she’s who she is and I don’t think you’ve ever been like her. Don’t overthink everything. What you guys have is special and you can make it work. Don’t start thinking so far into the future,” Isaac patted his hand. “I just hope when I wake up in the morning, Raleigh will be holding me tight. That’s what I hope is in my future.”

“I’m sure he’ll be there tomorrow morning,” Dylan laughed.

“What are you two talking about?” Raleigh said as he and Chuck came out of the kitchen.

“We were talking about boys. What about you guys?” Isaac chuckled.

“Us too,” Raleigh said and came around and sat next to Isaac.

“Now what?” Chuck asked.

“Now Raleigh tells us what brought him to Minnesota,” Dylan said. “Thought I’d forgotten didn’t you?”

Raleigh looked deeply into Isaac’s eyes. Isaac held his gaze and nodded his head. “It’s okay babe. You can tell them. They are friends who want to know where you came from.”

“Okay, but I hope you don’t end up hating me,” Raleigh said quietly.

The next chapter will have some extreme behavior in it, including violence. It is important Raleigh get to tell his story. It speaks to who he is, and who he was.
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now I'm so intrigued about Raleigh.

 

What a great thing Nora did for Chuck! He'll be so much happier working there then walking the mall. I am sure Nora might even give him some free reign to see what he comes up with.

 

It was funny how all four of the boys are so insecure in their relationships. I'm glad they were there to support one another.

 

I also thought it was cool how Nora and Kelly thought they figured out Chuck's thoughts when putting together the different dishes he made. I would have never thought of that. lol

 

Terrific chapter, Cole! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 10/10/2013 02:44 PM, Lisa said:
Now I'm so intrigued about Raleigh.

 

What a great thing Nora did for Chuck! He'll be so much happier working there then walking the mall. I am sure Nora might even give him some free reign to see what he comes up with.

 

It was funny how all four of the boys are so insecure in their relationships. I'm glad they were there to support one another.

 

I also thought it was cool how Nora and Kelly thought they figured out Chuck's thoughts when putting together the different dishes he made. I would have never thought of that. lol

 

Terrific chapter, Cole! :2thumbs:

You made my night. I'm so glad I could portray the care these guys are experiencing together. yeah! I hoped that would be evident. Raleigh is up next.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Now I´ve caught up with the story and have to wait for another chapter :read:

Lynora did a wonderful thing when she hired Chuck and gave him a bigger salary. Hopefully everything goes well with the scholarship and he gets into the school. :*)

Link to comment

What a happy chapter. It's funny when you first fall in love with someone, even tho they profess their love also, you always have the thoughts in the back of your mind that these guys have. I can remember wondering some of the same things while dating my hubby. He told me the first time he saw me, before I'd even officially met him that he was going to marry me. I didn't know what to think. Six months later, we were married, and thirty one years later, I wonder how he knew we'd make the couple that we've turned out to be.

I think Chuck and Dylan definitely have a future ahead of them, and if Raleigh is as honest as Isaac is about himself, they'll go far also.

Can't wait to hear about Raleigh's past. We all have one, and it's not always perfect.

Great Chapter!

Link to comment
On 10/10/2013 10:28 PM, Suvitar said:
Now I´ve caught up with the story and have to wait for another chapter :read:

Lynora did a wonderful thing when she hired Chuck and gave him a bigger salary. Hopefully everything goes well with the scholarship and he gets into the school. :*)

Dylan is lucky to have that lady in his corner. Thanks.
Link to comment
On 10/11/2013 02:05 AM, joann414 said:
What a happy chapter. It's funny when you first fall in love with someone, even tho they profess their love also, you always have the thoughts in the back of your mind that these guys have. I can remember wondering some of the same things while dating my hubby. He told me the first time he saw me, before I'd even officially met him that he was going to marry me. I didn't know what to think. Six months later, we were married, and thirty one years later, I wonder how he knew we'd make the couple that we've turned out to be.

I think Chuck and Dylan definitely have a future ahead of them, and if Raleigh is as honest as Isaac is about himself, they'll go far also.

Can't wait to hear about Raleigh's past. We all have one, and it's not always perfect.

Great Chapter!

It is strange, isn't it. You just don't know as it happens.
Link to comment

So great for Chuck to work in a real kitchen, very kind of Lynora :):2thumbs: I'm glad the evening was a success !

 

So next chapter is violent :/ I hate violence :(

Link to comment
On 11/20/2013 08:33 AM, Slytherin said:
So great for Chuck to work in a real kitchen, very kind of Lynora :):2thumbs: I'm glad the evening was a success !

 

So next chapter is violent :/ I hate violence :(

Thanks. Hope the next chapter isn't too bad for you.
Link to comment

I loved the two confidential talks and the way they all reassured their best friend. Awesome.

Chuck's future as a Cook seems assured now, one way or another. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 07:08 AM, Timothy M. said:
I loved the two confidential talks and the way they all reassured their best friend. Awesome.

Chuck's future as a Cook seems assured now, one way or another. :D

Thanks Tim! I wanted that to be a way to define the guys relationships with each other as friends and lovers. Glad it conveyed that. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..