Jump to content
    Cole Matthews
  • Author
  • 2,424 Words
  • 13,880 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 31. Chapter 31 - Mixed Doubles

Sometimes what happens off the page can be the most interesting part of a chapter.

Chapter 31 - Mixed Doubles

‘Dylan is gonna kill me,’ Chuck thought as he hit the end button on his phone. Why had he agreed to this? Friday night was going to be a date night for them, just the two of them. It would probably be their last Friday night off together for a long time. When Chuck started working at Sweet Nora’s, he wouldn’t ever get a Friday night off. They’d decided this would be a good chance for dinner and a movie and then playtime. But, he couldn’t say no. He hadn’t said no.

And now, Dylan was gonna kill him.

*****************************

“Hey Dylan.”

“Kel. What’s up?”

“Not much. Heard you’re having one of the parental units over for dinner next week.”

“Yeah. Somebody I’m biologically related to has a really big mouth and told him about my new boyfriend,” Dylan tried to sound stern but it came out as funny.

“I didn’t mean to but that dinner was so good I couldn’t stop raving about it,” Kelly said. “Are you really pissed?”

“No. I just wanted to tell him myself. This way he’ll get to meet him sooner rather than later. I don’t mind actually but whatever you do, don’t tell Abby.”

Kelly sighed. He knew why Dylan was so reluctant to tell their mother about his new beau. Abby McMahon wasn’t a pleasant woman most of the time but even worse when it came to her boys’ romantic interests. She was possessive of her guys and could get a little overbearing.

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell Mom a thing.”

“Good. Dad’s alright but Mom…” Dylan said. “So, how did Susie’s play date go with Brandon?”

“It was so much fun. The kids were a little shy at first but soon Susie was ordering Brandon around like she always does. He didn’t seem to mind. He told her he had a new “unk” named Dillwin. Susie corrected him by pointing out you’re her uncle so he better watch it. It didn’t take long and Brandon was following her around and pushing her on the swings. It was so cute.”

“Did you and Kelli get a chance to visit?” Dylan asked slyly.

“Yeah. Really nice girl and super smart. She’s literally a brain expert. We had fun watching the kids play together.”

“That’s cool,” Dylan said abstractly.

“Say, what are you doing on Friday night?”

“Chuck and I are having date night.”

“So nothing? Good. I’ve got a date and I can’t find a babysitter for Susie. Could you guys take her for the evening? This chick is so hot,” Kelly talked right over Dylan.

“No. I told Chuck we’d go out just the two of us,” Dylan barked.

“Jeez, you sure? Isabella is this beautiful woman I met at the gym. I’ve been asking her out for a while and she finally said yes. Are you sure you couldn’t watch her for a couple of hours?”

“Kelly. You’re impossible. I’ll talk to Chuck and maybe…”

“That would be great. If you watch Susie for a couple of hours, the two of you could go to a late dinner and movie. I promise. I’d be back by nine, nine thirty at the latest. She’s so hot Dylan,” Kelly begged. Dylan loved spending time with Susie and it would be okay to go out later. He hoped Chuck wouldn’t be mad but then Chuck was so easy going he wouldn’t care either way.

“Okay, I’ll watch Susie for a couple of hours, tops.”

“Owe you one bro,” Kelly said. “I’ll talk to you later in the week.”

“Later,” Dylan said and hit end. How did he get into these things?

***************************

“Hi honey, I’m in your home,” Chuck called out as he let himself into Dylan’s apartment. He nervously looked around and saw Thor and Odin, their two cats sleeping together on the couch. They woke up when he walked past and Thor reached out a furry orange paw. Chuck petted them both and walked into the kitchen. No Dylan.

He walked back to the bedroom. Dylan had ear buds on and was watching some YouTube video on his IPad. Chuck came up behind him and kissed his ear.

“Oh, hi!” Dylan said taking out the buds and putting the IPad aside. “Just get here?”

“Yeah. I wanted to give my beautiful, wonderful, understanding, and forgiving boyfriend a kiss,” Chuck said.

“Oh no. What’s going on?” Dylan asked. He crossed his arms. What hijinks did Chuck get them into now?

“I know you wanted Friday night to be just us, but, well, my sister has a date and she asked if I could watch Brandon.”

Dylan tried to keep a straight face. He was relieved because he didn’t want to ruin their night. As it turns out, Chuck did the same thing.

“You know this was our last chance for a long time to go out on a Friday night,” Dylan said trying not to smile.

“I know but Kelli doesn’t get asked out that often and I’ve been such an absentee brother I just didn’t have the heart to say no,” Chuck explained. “I promise. I’ll make it up to you.”

“Does that mean you’ll do the cat box and vacuum every day?” Dylan smiled.

“Sure. I’ll do it if you don’t yell at me,” Chuck said quietly.

“Alright. I won’t get mad. Oh, and by the way, I’m watching Susie Friday night anyway. My brother talked me into babysitting too.”

“You tricked me,” Chuck said laughing. “Forget the deal.”

“I know. I was just kidding. Say, you should bring Brandon over here and we’ll watch them together. Kelly said the two of them got along like gangbusters at their play date!”

“That sounds like fun. We should take them to Peetie’s Pizza and play games,” Chuck said excitedly. “That would make it a night out for all four of us.”

The two men agreed to work as a team babysitting. Dylan called and told Kelly the situation and not to rush his date. The two guys furiously made all kinds of plans for their night with the kids. Chuck was probably more excited than any of them.

*********************

“Dillwin, Uzie told me I couldn’t play on the cars with her,” Brandon pouted. He had tears running down his face.

“Maybe you could play this skeeball game with me instead,” Dylan said to the upset little guy. He took a napkin, wiped the tears and runny nose gently. “We’ll just play without her.”

Brandon looked pleased with that idea. Soon the two of them were rolling balls up the little miniature hill to get them in the holes. It had been such a fun night. They played a couple of board games at Dylan’s apartment after Dylan had picked up Susie and Chuck came over with Brandon. Then, they came to Peetie’s and had pizza. Susie and Brandon were little angels as they ate but then they wanted to play games. That’s when the issues began.

Brandon wanted to play whatever game Susie was playing. It was clear the little guy really liked her so much. Susie had been good at first but then one game was for a single player and Susie didn’t want to give him a turn. After a little spat, Brandon had run crying to Dylan.

Susie, becoming bored with driving the car, saw Brandon and her uncle happily playing skeeball. She climbed off the car and marched over to Brandon poking his arm. “That’s my uncle,” she announced to Brandon. “Stop playing with my uncle.”

“Susie,” Dylan warned. “You didn’t want to take turns on the car so Brandon and I are playing this game.”

“But you’re MY uncle not his,” and Susie was now the one crying, tears streaming down her soft pink cheeks. Brandon looked over at her and started whimpering.

“You can play with us too,” he said putting an arm around her. Susie looked up and sniffled. “Can I play too?”

“Of course you can sweetie,” Dylan said. “Here, let me get you started.”

Soon Brandon and Susie were so enthralled with the skeeball game, Dylan took a break and Chuck joined him. Chuck leaned over to his boyfriend. “A second ago, it was tears and frustration and look at them now. It’s like they were never upset at all.”’

“I know. Susie is a bit overbearing but Brandon doesn’t even seem to notice it,” Dylan said. “He’s like his uncle, so patient and sweet.”

“I don’t know about that, but he is the sweetest kid. If I’m feeling down, he brings me up,” Chuck said.

Dylan thought about that remark but didn’t say anything. They just watched as the two kids squealed and rolled the balls. Every few minutes, Dylan would put more money in the machine and it seemed they’d never tire of that game.

About an hour later, Brandon was rubbing his eyes and Susie walked over and crawled into Dylan’s lap. They were getting tired. It wasn’t even nine yet, but they had managed to wear out the kids. Chuck called Brandon over and the little boy crawled onto his uncle’s lap.

“We should head home, right Brandon,” Chuck said quietly.

“No. I don’t want Brandon to go,” Susie said quite loudly.

“I don’t wanna go home,” Brandon whined to Chuck and looked at him with big, sad eyes.

“Maybe we could have a slumber party,” Dylan said.

“What’s that?” Susie asked scrunching up her nose.

“It’s when people sleepover at somebody’s house on the floor,” Chuck explained.

“Can we have a lumber pardy?” Brandon asked Chuck.

Both guys looked at each other and shrugged. Why not? Both Kellies would be late so the kids could sleep on the floor at Dylan’s. “We’ll just stop by Brandon’s house to get a few things. I think we have two sleeping bags.”

Susie had some clothes with her so Chuck and Dylan called their siblings to tell them about their plan. Neither of the Kellies minded so a slumber party it was.

******************************

Chuck and Dylan sat together on the couch. Susie and Brandon had fallen asleep together on the same sleeping bag. He was cuddled up close to her and she had a hand on Brandon’s shoulder. After Peetie’s, they stopped at Kelli and Chuck’s apartment, got a few things, and came back to the apartment. They made popcorn and watched “The Little Mermaid.” After half the movie, both kids had dropped off to sleep.

“Do you want kids?” Dylan said to Chuck.

“Oh yeah,” Chuck said. “I’d love to have kids. Just seeing these two makes me feel all warm and happy inside.”

“Me too,” Dylan said. “I wanna be a parent.”

“Well,” Chuck said grinning. “I better see if I can get you knocked up.”

“You’re so sick,” Dylan said but gave Chuck a deep kiss. “We can’t. Not with them sleeping in here.”

“I know. You get me so excited I can’t contain myself.”

“You do get a little loud,” Dylan bopped his boyfriend’s nose.

“I know. You get me all worked up.”

“I’ve been known to scream on occasion,” Dylan conceded.

“Like last night you mean,” Chuck nuzzled him. They fell asleep on the couch a couple of hours later with the television still on.

*****************************

“I don’t see mommy’s car,” Brandon pointed out as they drove into the apartment complex parking lot.

“That’s odd,” Chuck said. “Maybe she had to park in the lot next door.”

“Maybe mommy went to the grocery store,” Brandon said looking at his uncle.

“Could be,” Chuck said but that would be so unlike her. It was nine o’clock in the morning on a Saturday. She’d had a date last night and wouldn’t be up early shopping.

Chuck got Brandon out of his car seat and grabbed the seat and the bag. They went up and got into the apartment.

“Sis, you there?” Chuck called out.

“I don’t think mommy’s here,” Brandon said running for the kitchen. Susie and Brandon had Dylan and Chuck up early this morning. They’d all slept in the living room and for a short time Chuck heard the two kids playing with the kittens but the kittens got tired of the attention and ran under the bed. That meant Susie and Brandon didn’t have anything to play with and Chuck and Dylan’s stomachs were too tempting. The two four year olds jumped on their respective uncle’s stomachs and giggled uncontrollably. Chuck went and made them pancakes and sausage while Dylan got them cleaned up and teeth brushed. After breakfast Dylan took Susie back to her dad’s and now Chuck came home with Brandon.

“Someone’s at the door,” Brandon squeaked and turned and ran into the living room. “Mommy’s home. Mommy’s home!” he yelled. Chuck came around the corner and saw Kelli was wearing the same clothes she’d left in the night before, albeit very wrinkled this morning. Her hair was a bit disheveled and she looked tired.

“Good morning sis,” Chuck said with raised eyebrows. “Rough night.”

“Ha, ha,” Kelli fake laughed. She picked up Brandon who was talking a mile a minute.

“We had a lumber pardy with Dillwill and Uzie last night. We went to the place with games and had pizza. I got to play ball with Dillwill and ride on the horsies with Unk. Uzie and I were very good and didn’t stay up late or nothing.” The little boy was so excited.

“So you were good for Dylan and Chuck,” she said hugging him closely.

“I was very good wasn’t I Unk,” Brandon nodded at Chuck.

“They were both very good kids. So, date went well last night huh?” Chuck grinned mischievously at his sister.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” she said giving Chuck a dirty look.

“Did you go to a lumber pardy too mommy?” Brandon asked.

“I think she did Brandon. I think she did go to a “lumber party.”

“Chuck,” Kelli said in a warning tone. “Stop it.”

“What about The Vow?” he teased her.

“I didn’t break The Vow,” she said thoughtfully.

Chuck paused, thought and shook his head. “Just because I met your doctor friend when he picked you up doesn’t mean you didn’t break it.”

“Chuck, I didn’t break it. That is the truth,” Kelli said and headed to her bedroom. Chuck just laughed at her and Brandon climbed down from his mom’s arms. “Wanna play a game Unk?”

“Sure thing bud,” and they pulled out Chutes and Ladders.

End Note
“He works at a marketing agency, Tupper, Watson, and Fitch. He’s very good at what he does. I just have never been able to figure out exactly what that is. Kinda like Chandler on Friends.”
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/01/2013 03:02 PM, Suvitar said:
Dylan and Chuck were so cute with the kids and the lumber pardy really was a lot of fun :P
Thank you so much. I'm glad you like the story.
Link to comment
On 11/01/2013 03:02 PM, Suvitar said:
Dylan and Chuck were so cute with the kids and the lumber pardy really was a lot of fun :P
Thank you so much. I'm glad you like the story.
Link to comment

Damn cute chapter~ Lumber party huh? Kids can be so cute one minute, and a royal pain the next. Kelli was caught red handed, but Chuck just doesn't quite know what or who he caught her doing :o:P:funny:

Link to comment

Hmmm, I had thought that the two Kelli's were going to go out together. Oh well. Chuck and Dylan were so great with the kids; I think they'll be wonderful parents.

 

And Brandon is just so precious: "Uzie" "Dillwill" He is so cute! lol I'm glad even Kelli's "lumbar pardy" went well. lol

Link to comment
On 11/02/2013 12:49 PM, Lisa said:
Hmmm, I had thought that the two Kelli's were going to go out together. Oh well. Chuck and Dylan were so great with the kids; I think they'll be wonderful parents.

 

And Brandon is just so precious: "Uzie" "Dillwill" He is so cute! lol I'm glad even Kelli's "lumbar pardy" went well. lol

Thanks Lisa. I always loved sleepovers as a kid so I had to include one in this story.
Link to comment
On 11/02/2013 06:38 AM, joann414 said:
Damn cute chapter~ Lumber party huh? Kids can be so cute one minute, and a royal pain the next. Kelli was caught red handed, but Chuck just doesn't quite know what or who he caught her doing :o:P:funny:
Haha, she was caught and there is a lot more to that tale!
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I thought the two Kellys were meeting up for a secret date and told the guys cover stories... hmmm... I guess that assumption was wrong. Cute chapter with the "lumber" party. Chuck and Dylan will make great dads one day.

Link to comment
On 05/26/2014 11:52 PM, Valkyrie said:
I thought the two Kellys were meeting up for a secret date and told the guys cover stories... hmmm... I guess that assumption was wrong. Cute chapter with the "lumber" party. Chuck and Dylan will make great dads one day.
They will make great dads. Still trying to figure out how to do that!
Link to comment

Oh ho, the two Kellies didn't want their brothers to know they were going on a date. Sneaky. Of course Kelli didn't break the Vow since Chuck has already met Kelly. Those two four-year-olds would drive me bonkers. But then I've never really wanted kids.

Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 08:50 AM, Timothy M. said:
Oh ho, the two Kellies didn't want their brothers to know they were going on a date. Sneaky. Of course Kelli didn't break the Vow since Chuck has already met Kelly. Those two four-year-olds would drive me bonkers. But then I've never really wanted kids.
Yeah, I think the Kellies weren't sure what to say. It was a bit of a coincidence that turned into something else. I love kids and I thought precocious ones would be kind of funny. Thanks Tim!!
Link to comment

I'm reading this and am truly enjoying!

Quick question:  Wasn't Brandon allergic? (So Chuck couldn't have a pet at his sister's house). Would they be able to host the kids at their place with the two cats in the house?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..