Jump to content
    Cole Matthews
  • Author
  • 2,642 Words
  • 10,937 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 13. Chapter 13 - "There was something in the air..."

"Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey Joe, Kenny, take a walk on the wild side" - Lou Reed

Chapter 13 - “There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright…”

Chuck had thought Raleigh was annoying with his sexist trash talk. He was even more annoying with his constant questions on the way to the party. Chuck was driving and wanted to tell Raleigh to shut up but Dylan was answering the questions and seemed to be having a good time. Raleigh was bouncing up and down in the backseat like he was a little kid going to see Santa.

“When did you guys meet? Did you know you would end up together when it happened?” Raleigh’s questions weren’t one at a time. They were at least two and three in a string.

“Chuck saved me from a mugger and was sweet enough to bring me home,” Dylan said putting his hand on Chuck’s arm. Chuck gave him a measured smile. The traffic was horrible and his nervousness about his coworker had his nerves on edge.

Dylan continued, “I didn’t really meet him until the next day when I thanked him.”

Dylan could see Chuck’s tension from the jumping muscle in his jaw. He wished his boyfriend would relax. It was a party they were going to. He could feel his Chuck's anxiety. Raleigh’s diarrhea of the mouth wasn’t making it much better.

“Cool. I think it’s so awesome you guys found each other. I’ve never known a gay couple before,” Raleigh said and then leaned closer again. “Is this gonna be a big party? How many people are gonna be there, do you think?”

“Kenny, the bartender at Nora’s, and his three roommates usually invite about fifty people or so. It will probably be about that many.”

“So who do you know that’s gonna be there?” Raleigh asked breathlessly. “Are they people you work with or what?”

Dylan squeezed Chuck’s arm. “It will be the gang from Nora’s. Our friends Sarah and her on-again-off-again boyfriend Derek are coming. Kenny’s ex-girlfriend Susan will be there. Angie used to work with us and she’s coming. She’s single. Jackie is coming. She’s single. Our friends Terry and Melissa will be there tonight. I think that’s all the straights we know.”

“Are there gonna be a lot of gay guys there too,” Raleigh asked abruptly.

“Raleigh.” Chuck interrupted. “I told you the ground rules. No talking about female body parts and no derogatory terms about gay people. There are other gay guys coming but they’re not going to try to jump you or anything. The people coming to this bonfire are cool so just settle down.” Chuck was turning red with anger. Dylan looked back at Raleigh who looked hurt.

“I didn’t mean…I’m ... only meant. I’m sorry. I just haven’t ever been to a party with gay guys before. I’m just nervous,” Raleigh pouted. “I didn’t mean anything by it. Give me a little credit.”

“I don’t know Chuck. When Isaac hears ol’ Raleigh here is straight, he might try to convert him or something,” Dylan laughed.

“Who’s Isaac?” Raleigh asked quietly, afraid to incur Chuck’s wrath again.

“Don’t worry Raleigh. We’ll tell Isaac to leave you alone. I was just kidding,” Dylan turned and smiled.

“Okay,” Raleigh leaned back and finally the questions seemed to cease.

“Do I turn here, hun?” Chuck asked.

“Next left I think,” Dylan said looking at the directions on his phone.

When they arrived, the party was in full gear. Everybody had brought booze of some kind. The hosts, Kenny, Theo, Jim, and Miles provided mixers and there were fixings for hot dogs and S’mores. Bowls of chips and dip and pretzels were stationed throughout the main floor and out back on a couple of picnic tables in the yard. The bonfire was just getting lit as the three of them exited the house through the back door. Paper lanterns hung from trees and tiki torches gave the darkness flashes of smoky light. Most of the guests had arrived before them and a few drinks had been enjoyed already.

“Dudes. Glad you could make it,” Kenny said coming up from the pile of wood that was just starting to blaze. “This a friend of yours Chuck?”

“This is my coworker Raleigh. He works at the mall too,” Chuck said.

“He’s a new friend,” Dylan said quickly. “Just moved here from Wyoming, right Raleigh?”

“Yeah. Thanks for letting me tag along,” Raleigh said shaking Kenny’s hand.

“The more the merrier I always say,” Kenny belched. “Gotta mingle.”

Sarah rushed over dragging Derek with her. Derek was a guitar player with a band. He usually provided some late night tunes that everyone sang along with. He was tall and had a full beard. Introductions were made and Raleigh asked Derek about his band. That was all it took to get Derek talking animatedly with him. Sarah smiled and chatted with Chuck and Dylan for a few minutes.

“What’ll you have hun?” Chuck asked Dylan.

“I’ll take a g and t. You got the gin right?”

“Left it in the car. I’ll be right back with your drink,” Chuck said and kissing Dylan quickly on the mouth.

Sarah pulled Dylan closer, “He is quite a stud. I had no idea you’d date someone like him.”

“I know. I got lucky. He’s really sweet and a great cook. I met his sister a couple of nights ago and his family is really nice too,” Dylan said. He whispered in Sarah’s ear, “He told me he loved me. I said it back.”

“Dylan. Talk about moving fast. Meeting the in-laws and telling him you love him. Wow! Must be good in bed,” Sarah giggled.

“He is that, but so much more,” Dylan said. The two began to talk about who was zooming whom and what the newest gossip was in their group. Everyone who had been couples seemed to have broken up and their little group was on the prowl, except Dylan of course.

“Here you go,” Chuck said handing Dylan his drink. “Got one for you too Raleigh. Just don’t overdo it.”

“Thanks Chuck. Next round is my turn to get,” Raleigh said and started talking with Derek again.

“Look who’s here,” they heard a voice calling across the crowd. “If it isn’t my darling Dylan and his ‘Fence-post, comma, dumber than,” Isaac joined the little circle.

“Hey! Holland Tunnel, comma, bigger than,” Chuck said with a smile.

Isaac seemed to glower for a second and then they both started to laugh. “I’m beginning to like you,” he said.

“Same here,” Chuck raised his plastic cup to him. Isaac raised his own cup and saluted them with a grin. Then he saw Raleigh. He stopped.

“Whoa! Who is this hot young thing we have joining us this evening? What’s your name Goldilocks?” Isaac sidled up to Raleigh.

“That’s Raleigh,” Dylan said. “He’s just moved here from Wyoming and Isaac, he’s straight. Leave him alone.”

“Yeah, I’m as straight as they come,” Raleigh said extending his hand to Isaac. Isaac took the blond man’s hand and shook it looking up at him. Raleigh stood almost a full head above Isaac.

“Too bad,” Isaac said dropping Raleigh’s hand. “I could climb you like ladder and make you forget all about pussy. I’m that good.”

“I don’t know about that,” Raleigh said warmly. “I like women.”

Isaac turned his back to Raleigh and they started talking about this and that. Isaac was about to tell a story when Kenny’s ex approached the group.

“Hey guys. Good to see you. Since I’m not coming by to see Kenny, I miss seeing you,” Susan said warmly. Dylan looked at her and his little matchmaking mind took over. She was tall, for a woman, with long blond hair and pretty blue eyes. She had a nice round bosom and a slim waist above curvy hips.

“Susan,” Dylan said approaching her. “I want you to meet my boyfriend Chuck.” They smiled at each other, “And his friend Raleigh.” Raleigh extended a hand and Susan took it.

“Very nice to meet you Raleigh,” she fluttered her lashes at him. Dylan smiled and Chuck looked to the heavens. He seriously hoped Raleigh was a decent person if not a gentleman. The two started to talk and Isaac resumed his story.

After some more chatting, Isaac took off and the little group broke apart and started mingling. Dylan took Chuck’s hand and led him over to sit on a log by the fire. “I need some time with my man,” he said. They hadn’t seen each other since Friday morning and though it was only Saturday night, both men had sorely missed the other. Chuck had spent last night at his apartment with Kelly and Brandon. They kissed and watched the fire burn and the milling crowd beyond it.

“I love you so much,” Dylan said.

Chuck put his hands on Dylan’s cheeks, “I love you more.” They kissed. It was a sweet kiss of lovers who were content and happy. They just held hands and watched the fire some more.

“Looks like you’re out,” Raleigh sat next to them handing them drinks. “This is a great party. I’m so glad you let me come along. I’ve never been to a party with such great people. They don’t know me and they are all friendly and shit, oops, sorry.”

Chuck turned to Raleigh. “That’s okay. I don’t care if you swear. Everyone seems to be having a good time. You got some face time with a pretty blond and Sarah’s boytoy seems to like you.”

“Yeah. She’s really pretty. Everyone has been so cool. Well, later,” Raleigh said and was up and back to chatting with other guests.

“See. I told you if he just had a chance, he’d be normal. He’s just lonely and doesn’t know anyone so he acts out,” Dylan said.

“I hope so,” Chuck said taking another swig.

Chuck toasted marshmallows on a long wire. After they were sufficiently brown, he sandwiched them with graham crackers and pieces of chocolate and fed Dylan. Every so often, one of Dylan’s friends came over and chatted. Chuck got to know them through their talks and they were careful to ask questions of him as well. It was clear everybody loved Dylan. What’s not to love?

Later on, Derek pulled out his guitar and started to play songs. Some were instrumental but some were rock classics. When he started Bohemian Rhapsody, Dylan and Chuck found themselves singing along.

“I’m just a poor boy, nobody loves me. He’s just a poor boy from a poor family. Spare him his life from this atrocity.”

Dylan’s deep bass and Chuck’s fine baritone bellowed out along with several of the partiers. They sang some Beatles, Kansas, and even ELO. Derek even played an old Alan Parson’s Project song and Chuck serenaded Dylan with “Old and Wise.”

“As far as the eye can see, there are shadows approaching me…” Dylan clung to Chuck and grinned.

Derek took a break about 11:30, and it was evident the crowd was thinning. “I wonder where Raleigh is?” Chuck worried. Dylan looked around.

“He’s over there talking to Susan and Isaac. I hope Isaac isn’t being too obnoxious.”

“I hope Raleigh isn’t getting drunk and talking trash,” Chuck mumbled.

“He’s fine. Kenny joined them over there. Maybe Susan and he are getting back together. I shouldn’t have introduced Raleigh to her. This could be awkward,” Dylan said. “Susan has her hand on Raleigh’s arm.”

“I’m sure Raleigh’s personality will keep that from happening.”

“Chuck. He’s been cool tonight.”

“He has. I’m surprised but I’m glad too. You were right as usual,” Chuck said licking some chocolate off Dylan’s cheek.

“Keep doing that and I’ll take you into the woods and molest you,” Dylan teased.

“Is that supposed to get me to stop,” Chuck said tickling Dylan. They both laughed.

The crowd thinned down to the core of their group. By half past midnight, the only remaining guests were Dylan and Chuck with Sarah and Derek sitting next to them. Across from them on another log were Raleigh and Susan. Standing behind them were Kenny and Isaac deep in conversation. That was odd. They were usually at odds with one another.

“Better go drain the lizard,” Kenny announced and headed to the house. Isaac had a shit-eating grin on his face. He looked around and then ran over to Dylan.

“What’s up?” Dylan said as Isaac sat down next to him.

“Shhh,” Isaac whispered. “I’m getting myself some straight tail tonight.”

“What!” Dylan whispered back. “I told you to leave Raleigh alone.”

“Not him. Kenny.”

“Kenny’s not gonna sleep with you,” Dylan said incredulously.

“Dylan. Haven’t you seen Kenny flirting with me all night long?” Isaac hissed. “He’s had his hand on my ass for the past hour.”

“Isaac, you’re delusional. Kenny is straight. His ex-girlfriend is right there,” Dylan shook his head.

“Listen Dylan,” he leaned closer. “I was surprised too but I asked Susan why they broke up and she said he told her he’s bi. He’s finally admitting it to himself.”

“That’s amazing,” Chuck said. “I never would have guessed.”

Dylan’s mouth was wide open. “I don’t believe it.” Kenny returned from the house and was headed for the fire.

“Watch this,” Isaac said and walked back around the fire. Raleigh and Susan were talking and Susan’s hand was on his arm making a point. Behind them Kenny was rubbernecking. Isaac approached. Kenny smiled at Isaac and when the little blond got near, the bartender placed his hand on Isaac’s lower back, touching his little round butt. Isaac turned around and stuck his tongue out at Dylan.

“I think we’re gonna call it a night guys,” Kenny said swaying badly. The GQ handsome bartender leaned down to the blond Isaac and kissed him on the lips. Sarah, Derek, and Dylan gasped. Chuck whispered ‘oh shit.’

“Let’s go in,” Kenny said and took Isaac by the hand. Susan looked around and watched as they went into the house. She took Raleigh’s hand and motioned for him to follow.

“Have a good night. I just need to get my bag,” Susan said. Raleigh stood up and shrugged his shoulders at the other four. He dutifully followed her up to the house.

“I’ll be damned. I would never have imagined Kenny,” Sarah said. Derek looked shocked. The four exchanged goodbyes and headed around the house to head for home. Chuck and Dylan got in the car and drove off.

***********************************************

Dylan was walking through the deserted, dark mall. He was holding someone’s hand. He couldn’t see who was right next to him. It was too dark. He heard someone crying from the food court. The hand he was holding was really cold. Was it Ron? He couldn’t see. The wailing was getting louder as they got closer to the dining area. Who was that? It sounded familiar.

When he and his companion got to the food court it was glowing with a green fog. The agony was even more immediate. “DYYYYLLLLLAAAAAAN!” the voice cried out to him. He couldn’t tell who that was but his tears began to flow anyway. It was a voice of pure anguish. He tried to see ahead of him and couldn’t. Just the voice was there. He tried to see who was beside him. It was hazy.

“Who is it?” he heard himself call out. “DYYYLLLLAAAANNN!” Oh God. He knew who it was. The voice was Chuck’s. Through his tears he could finally see Ron’s face next to him. It was his crushed skull and bloodied skull. “NOOOOO!!!” he screamed.

“NNNOOOO!” he screamed in the night. He could feel someone’s arms around him. He struggled. “Dylan, I’m here. Dylan?” Chuck said cradling his screaming boyfriend. “I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.” Dylan trembled in fear. Why???

The nightmares were getting worse.

Uh, oh, is there a new romance brewing at Sweet Nora's?
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter went from lighthearted entertainment to intriguing. The nightmares definitely need to be addressed. Raleigh was so funny, and I loved the banter between the guys.

Have to say Cole. Your writing is improving by leaps and bounds, and flows so smoothly. Enjoyed this chapter so much. Can't wait for more. :read::great:

Link to comment
On 09/06/2013 11:33 AM, joann414 said:
This chapter went from lighthearted entertainment to intriguing. The nightmares definitely need to be addressed. Raleigh was so funny, and I loved the banter between the guys.

Have to say Cole. Your writing is improving by leaps and bounds, and flows so smoothly. Enjoyed this chapter so much. Can't wait for more. :read::great:

Thanks so much Joann. I'm getting a lot of help from Zandra and Daithi. They are amazing!
Link to comment

"There was something in the air that night, the stars so bright, Fernando..." Boy do I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Abba! lol Now I can't get that song out of my head; it's going around in a loop. haha

 

What a great chapter, Cole! :) I'm glad Raleigh behaved himself during the party. He did seem sweet. I guess being obnoxious was just a cover or something.

 

And my jaw dropped when Issac said that about Kenny! Who would have thought? Why didn't he go for Dylan then? Wasn't Dylan crushing on Kenny before Chuck? (not that he was crushing on Chuck, lol.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 09/06/2013 02:35 PM, Lisa said:
"There was something in the air that night, the stars so bright, Fernando..." Boy do I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Abba! lol Now I can't get that song out of my head; it's going around in a loop. haha

 

What a great chapter, Cole! :) I'm glad Raleigh behaved himself during the party. He did seem sweet. I guess being obnoxious was just a cover or something.

 

And my jaw dropped when Issac said that about Kenny! Who would have thought? Why didn't he go for Dylan then? Wasn't Dylan crushing on Kenny before Chuck? (not that he was crushing on Chuck, lol.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter!

I love Abba too. At least one title had to reflect that. I'm glad you liked this chapter. You'll love the next one next week!
Link to comment

There´s something about Abba songs, they stick to your head :music: Isaac and Kenny, that was a surprise, hopefully it´s work out and is more than a one night stand. Nightmares are terrible and Dylan´s dreams are getting worse :(

Link to comment
On 10/10/2013 03:21 PM, Suvitar said:
There´s something about Abba songs, they stick to your head :music: Isaac and Kenny, that was a surprise, hopefully it´s work out and is more than a one night stand. Nightmares are terrible and Dylan´s dreams are getting worse :(
I know. I love Abba. Thank you so much for your reviews. They are so fantastic I'm humbled.
Link to comment

I guess I'm not the only one singing/humming "Fernando" after Reading this chapter :P I really enjoy Reading this story, I am so captivated by it.. Must read more.. :D

Link to comment
On 11/08/2013 08:29 AM, Slytherin said:
I guess I'm not the only one singing/humming "Fernando" after Reading this chapter :P I really enjoy Reading this story, I am so captivated by it.. Must read more.. :D
Hahaha I had that song stuck in my head for two days! Thanks for reading.
Link to comment

I have the feeling Isaac will either be obnoxiously cocky about doing Kenny or fall on his face when the guy ignores him afterwards.

Link to comment
On 01/19/2015 10:04 AM, Timothy M. said:
I have the feeling Isaac will either be obnoxiously cocky about doing Kenny or fall on his face when the guy ignores him afterwards.
Thanks Tim! I believe you'll enjoy what happens. ;)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..