Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Porcupines - 21. Chapter 21 - Gastronomique; A College for Culinary Artists

Secrets. Everyone's got some. Even middle-aged restaurant owners have a trick or two up their sleeve.

Chapter 21 - Gastronomique; A College for Culinary Artists

“Come explore the scholarly pursuit of food as an artistic medium. Gastronomique is a place where students and culinary professors work together to create edible masterpieces. Our chef mentors help guide budding food artists navigate the tastes, textures, aromas, and colors of fine cooking and menu creation. These chef mentors come from five continents and have broad experience tantalizing the palates of thousands of lucky gourmands. Our kitchens are laboratories of exquisite gastronomic delights. Take a chance on yourself and join our exploration of the world of eating.”

“What’re you looking at? Found some good porn?” Chuck heard Dylan say as his arms encircled his neck. Chuck tried to shut the laptop quickly, but it was too late. Dylan had seen it and stopped the screen from closing.

“Is this the school you want to go to?”

“Naw, I’m just looking to see what’s out there,” Chuck lied trying to downplay his ambitions. This school cost over $30,000 for two years. He’d never have the money to pay for such an extravagant place. It was a dream that was really more of an outlandish fantasy.

“This looks like a really professional cooking school. I’ve heard about it. Pretty high end stuff,” Dylan said kissing Chuck’s ear. “You’d be dynamite at a school like this.”

“It’s too much,” Chuck said. “I think a community college like MCTC has a good cooking program that would be right for someone like me.”

“You’re too good a cook for a community college. They teach you sandwich making and how to boil water. You should consider a place like this,” Dylan said scrolling down to read the reviews. He opened another page. “Geez, fifteen grand a year. That’s a lot of money.”

“I could never afford it,” Chuck said and once Dylan’s hands moved away from the screen, he closed it. “It’s probably a rip off anyway.” Chuck was trying to talk himself out of his dream. Dylan looked closely at his boyfriend. He could see the dark haired man was grim and a little down. His face looked older with sadness and his eyes were watery.

“I don’t see why you can’t get a job cooking and see if you like restaurant work. I’ll talk to Lynora and see if we’re hiring.”

“I’m not good enough for that quite yet,” Chuck was shaking his head. “I should go check out the community college first.”

“You make the best food I’ve ever eaten,” Dylan said. “I can’t believe you’d want courses like they offer. Let’s look to see what MCTC offers. Skootch over.”

Chuck did so and Dylan did a search for the local community college and navigated to their culinary offerings. After reading the course list, Dylan guffawed. “This is the elementary school of cooking. See, they offer classes on making institutional food like for a hospital. You’re too talented for a program like this.”

“Dylan. I can’t afford thirty grand to learn how to cook.”

“We can figure it out. Maybe we can find scholarships and stuff for you. They offer student loans at Gastronomique. See,” Dylan said pulling up the website again. “We’ll figure this out together. Didn’t we talk about both going back to school at the same time?”

“Yeah, but I don’t think a fancy school would be for me,” Chuck said. He didn’t even want to entertain the idea, getting his hopes up. It was a pipe dream for someone like him from a tiny town like Brewster to learn the culinary arts at a school like that.

“Hmmm,” Dylan said to himself looking throughout the school’s website. “Right here, there’s a scholarship program for people who are talented cooks but don’t have the money. This scholarship is for twenty thousand for two years. That only leaves ten grand for you to finance.”

“Yeah, and last year they had 189 applicants for that one scholarship,” Chuck laughed. “What chance do I have?”

“Better than anyone else. I’ve tasted what you can do. It’s amazing what you can bring together. Remember my brother raving about that dinner you made? It’s not just me.”

“You love me and Kelly was just being nice,” Chuck blushed. Dylan’s words were making him begin to hope and dream just a little too much.

“My brother is nice, but he was very sincere. He’s still talking about your food.”

“I don’t know…” Chuck said but he was halfway to seriously considering it.

“Listen Hun. Try for the scholarship and see. It doesn’t cost anything to try. We’ll figure out the rest if we need to,” Dylan said clutching Chuck’s forearm excitedly.

Chuck wasn’t sure about this but it was so much fun seeing how excited Dylan was. If trying for the scholarship made Dylan this happy, he’d do it. He’d do anything for him. It was a longshot though.

“Okay, I’ll try. When’s the deadline?”

“You’ve got two weeks,” Dylan said reading the page. “I’ll print out all the instructions and the application. The two of us can read the requirements.” Chuck needed to provide three original recipes. He needed to fill out a financial needs survey and provide tax records. Finally, there was an essay on the role of food in society. Chuck wasn’t too worried about the other parts but he was scared to death of the essay part. He wasn’t much of a writer.

Dylan didn’t need to be told what Chuck was nervous about. He could see his boyfriend was stuck on the last numbered requirement. He said, “Oh that looks like fun. I love writing essays. I can be your ghost writer. You tell me what you think about this topic, and I’ll help you organize it.”

“Would you really help with that?” Chuck said surprised. That was the part that terrified him.

“Of course. I love writing. It will be your words but I can help you arrange them,” Dylan said. “So, it’s final. You’re going to apply for the scholarship, right?”

“If you think I should,” Chuck said evenly. He was warming to the idea of them working together on this. It could be fun. “You will have to taste all my recipes though.”

“If I have to, I have to,” Dylan teased. “I love your food. We should also have Lynora over for dinner. I want her to taste what you can do.”

“Still trying to get me a job at the restaurant huh?”

“Only if you want one. I wouldn’t mind my hunky boyfriend in the kitchen while I wait tables. I can flirt with you and maybe jump your bones in the storeroom,” Dylan said squeezing Chuck’s thigh. “On second thought, maybe the other cooks would be jealous if I can’t flirt with them anymore.”

“You better not be,” Chuck warned. “You’re all mine Dylan McMahon.”

“I know. I just like to see you get all possessive Chuck Green. It makes me hot.”

“I don’t think you could be any hotter,” Chuck said and started tickling Dylan. Before long the two of them were on the floor laughing and pinching each other’s sides. When the tickle fight stopped, they both got up and kissed deeply.

“I think it’s really sweet you want to help me,” Chuck said catching his breath.

“I know you can get this scholarship. It’ll just take some work.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too. I find out each day even more reasons why,” Dylan said looking into Chuck’s icy blues. They looked a little teary, but in a good way.

**************************************

A couple of days later, Dylan was at work in the evening and the rush was finally beginning to slow. He saw Lynora grabbing her purse. He needed to get to her before she left. He dropped off a check to one of his tables and hurried over to her.

“Lynora, I’ve got a favor to ask you,” Dylan said to his boss.

“Sure, but make it quick. I’ve got plans,” she said looking at her watch. The whole staff had been talking about how much the boss was MIA lately. Dylan didn’t have time to ask about that. He’d promised Chuck six for dinner to test out his recipes for the scholarship. He figured if he could get Lynora to come, she’d have a job for his boyfriend as well as a test subject.

“Can you come to dinner Sunday night?” he asked.

“A dinner party at your house?” Lynora was shocked. “Dylan, you can’t make a salad much less dinner. What’s up?”

“Chuck’s making dinner. He’s trying to get a scholarship at a culinary school and needs six people to try the recipes he’s submitting. Would you come and give him your honest opinion?” Dylan asked. He hoped this would work.

“Sure. I’d love to help. I don’t need to be here that night so count me in. I didn’t know Chuck wanted to be a chef.”

“Yeah. He’s really a great cook. I want to help so it would be a great favor to me,” Dylan said.

Lynora thought for a moment. She took Dylan’s arm and nudged him into the hostess station. She leaned over and whispered in his ear. “Can I bring a date? You said you needed six people. I’d like you boys to meet this guy I’m seeing.”

“Of course,” Dylan whispered back. “Who is he?” His mind was racing.

“Never mind that,” she blushed. For heaven’s sake, Dylan had never seen the old gray mare turn red in the four years he’d worked for her. She was as giddy as a school girl.

“Please, bring your date. Then I only have to ask two others,” Dylan said. “I’ve got my brother and Chuck’s sister coming. It’s gonna be fun!”

“Okay. Well, I’ve got to figure out how to ask him but,” Lynora was talking to herself more than to Dylan. “I’ll figure out some way.”

“Sunday night at seven. Dinner’s at eight.”

“Okay Dylan. It’ll be nice to get to know Chuck a little better,” she said and with that his boss headed out the door.

Dylan rushed to the bar. He couldn’t believe it. Lynora had a boyfriend. He couldn’t imagine who it could be. She was so picky about men and would casually go out to dinner or a movie but never someone twice.

“Kenny, Sarah, come here,” Dylan gestured. Sarah came around to the drink station and Kenny came up to him. “I found out why Lynora’s been absent so much and why she’s been in such a great mood.”

“What, the old bat find herself a boy toy?” Kenny joked.

“Yes,” Dylan hissed. “She’s dating someone.”

“No way,” Sarah was taken aback. “Every guy who goes out with her is toast after two dates, tops.”

“She is seeing someone steady,” Dylan insisted. Both of his friends chuckled.

“I don’t think so,” Kenny said. “That old warhorse has an iron girdle on. No way is she putting out.”

“Eewwww,” Sarah said. “I don’t even wanna think about it.”

Dylan shrugged his shoulders. It seems Lynora’s love life was going to remain a secret in spite of his gossiping efforts. Oh well. He had four for dinner. He just needed two more. Wait, he could kill two birds with one stone. He could prove Lynora had a boyfriend and get the rest of the dinner party together.

“Kenny!” he called out. “What are you and Susie doing Sunday night?”

“I’m working,” Kenny called back. “Susie has a test on Monday morning. Why?”

Dylan waved never mind and turned to Sarah. Another excellent possibility. He’d been trying to get his brother and Sarah to meet for the longest time. Then, she would see Lynora’s boyfriend was real.

“What’re you doing Sunday night?”

“Dinner with my parents. It’s my dad’s birthday so the whole famn damily is gonna be there,” Sarah grinned. “Why?”

“Never mind,” Dylan groused. Who else could he ask? If he asked Chad, that would still leave an open seat. Maybe Chad and Isaac.

Isaac was in the wait station finishing his side work. Dylan approached and considered. Since Isaac and Raleigh’s hookup, the two had been inseparable. The best part was Isaac wasn’t being a shithead all the time. He’d been surprisingly pleasant to everyone for the past week. Dylan wondered…

“Dylan, going for a drink with us?” Isaac asked as he entered the wait station. “Raleigh’s coming to pick me up. You should call Chuck.”

“Sure. That would be fun. I’ll call him in a minute. I have a question for you though.” Isaac turned and smiled.

“What are you and Raleigh doing Sunday night?” Dylan asked feeling a bit tentative.

“Nothing planned but I’d have to talk to Raleigh. Why?”

“How would you two like to come to my house for dinner?”

“You mean Raleigh and me as a couple,” Isaac’s eyes got big. “I still have to talk to Raleigh but that would be so much fun. We were talking about how we don’t have any other couples to do things with. That would be great.”

“Perfect,” Dylan said. “Dinner is at eight on Sunday night. Come by my apartment around seven.”

“Kewl. That sounds great. Who else will be there? Oh, I’m so excited.” Dylan could see Isaac was really thrilled. He was a different person since the party. He could even see himself liking Isaac again if the change was permanent.

“Don’t forget to call Chuck. Maybe this time he’ll be able to meet us,” Isaac said and finished folding napkins. “I’m going to a dinner party with my boyfriend,” Isaac said to no one. Dylan hoped this wasn’t a mistake.

Chuck did answer his phone and met Dylan, Isaac and Raleigh at the Rail. Isaac and Raleigh were playing darts and Dylan was watching them.

“Hey Hun,” Chuck said leaning over to give his boyfriend a peck on the lips. “How was work?”

“Good. Made some serious cash. I also have your dinner guests for Sunday night,” Dylan said.

“Who?”

“Your sister, my brother, Isaac and Raleigh, Lynora, and she’s bringing a date,” Dylan answered.

“Lynora’s bringing a date?” Chuck said. Dylan had told him all about Lynora’s serial dating history. “Do you know who?”

“Nope. She wouldn’t tell me.”

“Will Isaac behave himself?” Chuck asked sitting down at the table. The Rail’s only waiter, a little gushy thing in Daisy Duke Shorts and a half shirt came over to take his order. Chuck didn’t even look up when he ordered a beer. Rodney tried to get Chuck’s attention but it didn’t work. He flitted off to get them a couple of beers.

“Raleigh’s coming so Isaac will be on his best behavior,” Dylan said.

“Hope so. This means a lot to me,” Chuck said soberly.

“I know Hun. I’ll make sure he understands.”

They watched as Isaac and Raleigh played darts for a few more minutes. Raleigh kept a possessive, though gentle, hand on Isaac’s back. Isaac kept touching Raleigh’s face and arm. They looked like two people in love.

“Do you think people change when they’re in love?” Chuck asked Dylan.

“I’m not sure. I see Isaac acting like a decent human being for once and think that may be why. I never really knew Raleigh before so I don’t know about him.”

“Raleigh is completely different though I never knew him out-of-the-closet. Maybe it’s just because they both seem so happy,” Chuck commented.

“Maybe. I know I’m happier since I met you,” Dylan said running his finger along Chuck’s jawline tracing his little line of whiskers. What he’d considered so trashy three weeks ago was now quite sexy.

“I know I’m a lot better since I met you. Raleigh called me an old sourpuss all the time. Now, I’m just so happy. I’ve never been happier in my whole life,” Chuck confessed.

Dylan looked at his boyfriend. He smiled and said, “I love you.” Chuck smiled back but noticed Dylan didn’t say he was happier than he’d ever been. That kind of stung but Ron was dead and he was alive. He hoped that would be enough.

“Hey there ‘Double Wide,” Isaac said sitting across from Chuck and grinning.

“Hey Trampolina,” Chuck retorted.

“Trampolina?” Isaac screwed up his face.

“You know,” Chuck grinned back. “Cause everyone gets to jump on ya.”

“Hey,” Raleigh growled. “That’s my boyfriend you’re talking about.” It looked like the blond Adonis was about to rain hellfire on Chuck.

“We’re just kidding around,” Isaac said kissing his man. “I call him names, and he throws it back. You know I’ve only got eyes for you sweetheart.”

“Well, okay then,” Raleigh tried to keep a straight face but couldn’t maintain. They all ended up laughing.

“So, tell us about this dinner party Sunday night. Raleigh and I are so excited,” Isaac said.

Antipasto Vinaigrette Recipe
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
Juice of a lemon
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
Dash of cayenne
Pinch of sugar
Pepper to taste
Put into food processor and blend

Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ok, I had to laugh, the name of the cooking school sounded like a disease! Sorry, Cole! I just hear the word 'gastro' and I think of diseases or ailments. lol

 

I wish Chuck weren't so insecure about his cooking. I'm glad Dylan is helping him with the scholarship work. I'm sure he's going to pass at the dinner party with flying colors! Nora will probably offer him a job after dinner. lol =)

 

Oohh, and the two Kelly's will meet. lol

 

I'm glad now that Issac (or is it Isaac, sorry), (Trampolina, lol), and Chuck are getting along.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2013 09:42 AM, Lisa said:
Ok, I had to laugh, the name of the cooking school sounded like a disease! Sorry, Cole! I just hear the word 'gastro' and I think of diseases or ailments. lol

 

I wish Chuck weren't so insecure about his cooking. I'm glad Dylan is helping him with the scholarship work. I'm sure he's going to pass at the dinner party with flying colors! Nora will probably offer him a job after dinner. lol =)

 

Oohh, and the two Kelly's will meet. lol

 

I'm glad now that Issac (or is it Isaac, sorry), (Trampolina, lol), and Chuck are getting along.

Hahaha! You're the best. Thanks for the review. Cat got my tongue!
Link to comment

Sounds like Isaac is in love, and a better person for it. Of course, Raleigh is Chuck's friend, so he and Isaac are perfect for the dinner party. And, the Kelly's finally get to meet. This should be interesting, to say the least.

Mystery date thrown into the mix should make for a very entertaining meal. Quite the set up you have here. And a free recipe! Yay!!!! I love to cook, but not as fancy as most:P

Link to comment

Isaac and Raleigh make a lovely couple and it looks like they might stay a couple at least for a while... they are so in love and that so sweet :heart:

Dinner party next :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

That recipe you posted sounds wonderful. :) I'm looking forward to reading about the dinner party. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll get that scholarship!

Link to comment
On 05/26/2014 09:08 AM, Valkyrie said:
That recipe you posted sounds wonderful. :) I'm looking forward to reading about the dinner party. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll get that scholarship!
I love the dinner party scene. As I mention, stories accompany dinner. That's why the idea of dinner theaters always delighted me except most have food that isn't exactly gourmet. This is such fun. It's like a blast from the past for me! Thanks Valkyrie for doing this. :)
Link to comment
On 10/10/2013 08:08 PM, Suvitar said:
Isaac and Raleigh make a lovely couple and it looks like they might stay a couple at least for a while... they are so in love and that so sweet :heart:

Dinner party next :)

Just saw this! They are a couple of fiery cuties and have a nice future ahead!
Link to comment
On 10/08/2013 07:05 AM, joann414 said:
Sounds like Isaac is in love, and a better person for it. Of course, Raleigh is Chuck's friend, so he and Isaac are perfect for the dinner party. And, the Kelly's finally get to meet. This should be interesting, to say the least.

Mystery date thrown into the mix should make for a very entertaining meal. Quite the set up you have here. And a free recipe! Yay!!!! I love to cook, but not as fancy as most:P

I'm seeing I didn't respond Jo Ann back then! How did I miss this? It's like a stroll down memory Lane.:)
Link to comment

 

“I’m going to a dinner party with my boyfriend,” Isaac said to no one.

This is probably the single most poignant sentence I've read in the last few months. It was a really perfect image, Cole.

Link to comment
On 09/18/2014 03:19 PM, Irritable1 said:

 

“I’m going to a dinner party with my boyfriend,” Isaac said to no one.

This is probably the single most poignant sentence I've read in the last few months. It was a really perfect image, Cole.

Thanks! I will have to go back and reread. I don't remember it at all. I like it though! :)
Link to comment

Another thing I like about this story: The fact they bring out the best in each other and are supportive and encouraging. Gives me hope for their future as a couple. They really do bring out the best in each other - and I guess the same could be said about Isaac and Raleigh.

Link to comment
On 01/20/2015 08:23 AM, Timothy M. said:
Another thing I like about this story: The fact they bring out the best in each other and are supportive and encouraging. Gives me hope for their future as a couple. They really do bring out the best in each other - and I guess the same could be said about Isaac and Raleigh.
I like to think in the beginning most couples try to do that. If they didn't how rough would it be when troubles happen? Isaac and Raleigh are the same too. Thanks Tim!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..