Jump to content
    FlyOnTheWall
  • Author
  • 8,192 Words
  • 2,632 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Johnny Breeze & Me - 4. Johnny's Take

Let's learn some more about Johnny! In this chapter, we'll learn how Johnny became a part of the Rosemont Theatre company. We'll also see that Simon has another side--one of a mentor and surrogate father figure. See? He's not ALL bad! Okay--he still has his creepy moments, but there is some good in him!
This chapter is in two parts and takes us up to the time he meets Jason at the airport. Hope you like!
-Geoff

Part One – Welcome to the Rosemont

JOHNNY

The first time I walked into the Rosemont Theatre, I was working with a small local theatre company that had rented the space for a production of M Butterfly. The facilities were excellent, and I was looking forward to doing a little magic with the lighting. The only problem was that I had less than twelve hours to re-hang and focus the lights.

I went into the office to let them know I had arrived and needed access to the booth and catwalks. The receptionist showed me to the Artistic Director’s office, and it was then I met Simon Bradley. He was very helpful in getting me started and spent an unusual amount of time watching me work. I didn’t quite know what to make out of it, but I figured I would be able to get a handle on him once I spent some time at the theatre. You see, I’ve always had a talent for “reading” people and their intentions since I was a little kid. I don’t know if it’s because I’m Native American (Navajo) and have always been in touch with my spiritual side, or if it’s just a gift I was lucky to have. Probably a little of both.

After a few hours of moving light instruments around and getting things in the general setup I needed, Simon asked if I had plans for lunch. The only plan I had for lunch was to slip away and grab a bite before I started focusing the lights to where I needed them. When Simon offered to take me to lunch, who was I to turn him down? I work in theatre—a free lunch is never turned down! We ended up heading a few blocks north to the Triangle, a cool little shopping area with shops and restaurants on street level and condos and lofts above them. We went to a local restaurant called the Galaxy, placed our order, and took a seat.

While waiting for our food, Simon struck up the conversation. “How long have you been in Austin, Johnny? I haven’t seen you around much.”

“Oh, I got here about a year ago—just finally breaking into the theatre scene.”

I kept trying to get a “read” on this man sitting across from me. He was good. I heard his words, and they seemed friendly enough, but he was covering something up. I couldn’t figure him out yet. “I’ve been watching you work most of the morning, Johnny—"

“Yeah, I noticed that. Honestly, you don’t have to worry, Mr. Bradley. I got my BFA in technical design and production at Arizona State. I know my way around a catwalk.” I flashed him a toothy grin, hoping that I could get him to lower his guard a bit.

“Oh, that’s not why I was watching you. But I’m very impressed with what I saw this morning. As you’ve seen, we have an excellent system and more than enough instruments. But as you can also see, the upkeep leaves a lot to be desired.”

“Yeah, I noticed a lot of the instruments could use a good cleaning, and the cables need some straightening out.”

“Precisely. Our regular lighting guy has had to spend a lot of time with his daughter since his wife has been ill for the last several months. While I would never terminate him while his family is in turmoil, I need to do something. Where would you be working now?”

“Oh—my (air quotes) real job is a line cook at the Driskill Hotel.”

“At the grille or the café?”

“I’m at the grille, sir.”

“Good for you! Chef Thomas and his wife are patrons of our theatre. He can be a tough cookie, eh?”

“Oh yeah, but he’s been really good to me since I got there and has helped move up the ranks pretty quick.”

Our food arrived, and it was great. While we were enjoying our lunch, Simon looked up at me and asked, “So Johnny, do you have a girlfriend? Wife? None of the above?”

There it was. Simon finally let his guard down and looked me in the eye. I immediately knew that there were two Simons inside that soul. There was a very professional Simon I could trust and learn from. There was also a side of him that kind of creeped me out. “None of the above,” I responded. I’ve never been ashamed of or hidden my sexuality from anyone, but my first instinct was to avoid sharing that area of my life with Simon. And from my experience, first instincts were a good thing to go by.

We talked some more about the Austin theatre scene while we finished and headed back to the theatre. As we walked into the lobby, Simon checked for messages and looked at the calendar at the reception desk. “Well, it looks like I’m free for the afternoon. Would you like me to man the board for you while you focus and set the lights?”

“Really? Wow, Mr. Bradley, that would really make things go so much faster!”

“Two things, Johnny. First, please call me Simon. Second, it would be rather fun for me to do something besides sitting behind a desk for the afternoon!”

We went up to the booth, and Simon sat down at the computerized light board. He powered the system up and then handed me a wireless headset. “This will make things so much easier, Johnny. You just tell me what you need, and I’ll take care of it for you!”

I decided to completely ignore the double meaning behind that last comment as I put on the headset and headed for the upper reaches of the theatre. Simon was a great help, and I finished setting the lights in less than half the time I was expecting. To make things even more enjoyable, he was playing music from some of my favorite musicals. The Who’s Tommy, American Idiot, Avenue Q, Spring Awakening—some great music to help the time go by more quickly.”

When I finished, I grabbed my bag, threw my work gloves in, and headed back up to the booth. Simon was powering down the equipment and asked me if I would join him in his office. Thanks to him, I had some extra time, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt. I just would make sure to keep my distance both physically and with the words I used.

When we walked out of the theatre and into the lobby, it was full of children waiting for their Youth Theatre classes to begin. I always liked kids, especially talented ones, so I just smiled at them as we wove our way through the crowd and into Simon’s office.

“Johnny, one of the things that have made our theatre successful is my ability to spot talent and make sure that talent is used in our productions. I told you my lighting guy is not able to spend the time we need him to so our equipment can be maintained and in top working order.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Excuse me, Johnny?”

I chuckled, “Yes, Simon!”

“Watching you work was such a pleasure. You not only know your business quite well, but you have a keen sense of design that we might just be able to use in the future.”

“Thanks!” I found myself blushing a bit at Simon’s praise.

“While you were up in the rafters, I called Chef Thomas, and he has generously agreed to a proposal I have concerning you. I want to bring you on board with a part-time position. You would work here on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Chef Thomas would have you on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. You’ll have Mondays off, and while you are working here, I will pay you five dollars an hour more than you get at the hotel. And I didn’t tell Chef about our financial arrangement here. He doesn’t need to know that!” Simon smiled at me and softly laughed when he saw the look of shock on my face.

“Holy shit, Simon! Really?”

“Holy shit, Johnny! Yes!”

He laughed loudly, and I began to apologize profusely for my language. Just then, there was a knock on the door, and Simon asked the visitor to enter his office. “JJ! How nice to see you! Are you ready for your class?”

“Yes, Simon, I just wanted to talk to you about one of the kids if you had time.”

“I always have time for you, JJ. You know that. And let me introduce you to Johnny—hopefully, the newest member of our team. Johnny, JJ is a true triple threat. He started in our youth program and graduated last year. Now he’s teaching the kids to sing and dance while he’s attending classes at Texas State. JJ, Johnny’s going to be working on the production team if he accepts my offer.”

“Nice to meet you, JJ!” JJ walked up to me and hugged me as he whispered, “Very nice to meet you, Johnny. Looking forward to hopefully doing things with you!” The kid was cute as hell but seemed to be little more than a horny, teenaged gay boy.

I walked over to the door and looked back at Simon. “Thank you, Simon, for the offer. And yes, I’m going to accept it. I start working here at 10:00 a.m. next Tuesday?”

“That’s wonderful, Johnny—and yes, you start next Tuesday!”

So, I finally had my first real theatre job! Over the next several months, I thrived in my new work arrangements. Despite my reservations, Simon was purely professional. He knew his stuff and was generous with ideas, suggestions, as well as praise. Soon, he made me the lighting person other theatre companies would use when they rented the theatre space, and my Austin theatre circle grew by leaps and bounds.

About three months later, Simon called me into his office and told me that Jeremy was unhappy that I was getting more and more time at the theatre. Unfortunately, he had told Simon that either I was to be let go, or he would have to leave. My heart stood still for about three seconds until Simon handed me a document.

“Johnny, I’ve never been more proud of anyone on our production team as I am of you. You have proven yourself time and time again, the actors love you, and now that Jeremy is no longer employed at the Rosemont, I can honestly say the entire staff loves you as well. Read over the contract. I want to put you on permanent staff, offer you a salary and benefits, and finally get you out of that damned restaurant!”

Tears began to well up in my eyes. “Simon, I don’t know what to say. You and this theatre have been so wonderful to me. I can’t believe how much I’ve learned from you. I just don’t know what to say!”

“Just read the contract and say yes, please!”

Simon reached back to his credenza and grabbed a tissue for me to wipe my eyes. I read the contract and tried my best to keep calm as I read about my new responsibilities, salary, benefits, etc. “I-I-need to give notice at the hotel, Simon. This contract says I start today.”

“Taken care of! I had a very nice conversation with Chef Thomas. I explained I needed someone today because we have got to start designing Angels in America yesterday! He told me that he was currently a bit overstaffed, so he would draw up your termination at the hotel and have your final check ready this afternoon.”

I couldn’t believe my good fortune! I started working on Angels in America with the director and set designer and, if I say so myself, did a bang-up job on my first large show at the Rosemont, not to mention in Austin!

The show after Angels was a musical. Into the Woods was going to be the biggest project of my life, and I was so excited to be able to work on it! The afternoon before the beginning of tech/dress rehearsals, I was helping Kevin Wilson, the show’s music director and conductor, set up all the music stand lights in the pit and enjoyed spending time with him. From the booth, I could see him play the piano and conduct the musicians. It blew me away how he would conduct with his head while playing the difficult music. Okay, I must confess, I have a weakness for talented musicians. I guess it’s because I have zero musical talent.

One night after the show, the cast went out to Baby A’s for drinks and food. Kevin was sitting next to me, and we were completely enjoying our margaritas! Kevin enjoyed them a little more than I was and was in no shape to drive home—even though he wasn’t sloppy drunk, it was just best to play it safe. Kevin lived about ten miles out of town in an area known as Steiner Ranch. I got him to his apartment when he asked if I would walk with him up to the third floor—just to be safe.

We got up to his door, and he fumbled a bit with his keys. We walked in, and I got him over to his sofa. Once I saw he was settled safely at home, I told him to call me tomorrow, and I would come back and take him to his car. “Johnny, thank you for taking care of me, but I have a bit of a confession to make.”

“What’s up, Kevin?”

“I’m not as drunk as I led you to believe.”

“What? What’s going on?”

“Well, I’m really embarrassed and kind of ashamed to say it, but I didn’t know how else I could get you into my living room.” He stood up and walked to me, put his arms around me, and pulled me into a tight embrace. He then turned his head slightly and gently kissed the side of my neck. He didn’t know that was one of my “spots” but quickly learned when I let out a slight moan.

“You know, Kevin—you could have just asked me. I would have said yes in a heartbeat! I’ve kind of had this thing for you since we started working together.” I pulled his head away from my neck and placed a light but sensual kiss on his lips. “But I couldn’t figure out if you were gay or straight.” I kissed him lightly again.

I reached down and grabbed the bottom of his black t-shirt. I pulled it over his head. Mmmmmmm—nice! He was trim and lean, not really a worked-out body, but nice with a lite fuzz of brown hair on his chest. Kevin then pulled up my t-shirt and gasped, “Holy shit, Johnny! I knew you had a great body, but this is fucking sick!”

I just grinned. I never get tired of hearing people comment on my body. I spend a couple of hours three or four times a week in the gym and work my ass off. As great as the results can be, it’s also my way of relaxing. I can just put on my earbuds, listen to some music, and work my way around the equipment.

Kevin started sucking on my nipples, which I’ve always loved, and began to undo my jeans. As I generally go commando, it was seconds before I was completely naked and standing in front of Kevin. My cock was a little more than half-hard, and he gasped again. I just chuckled as his eyes got as big as saucers. “My God!” That was all he said as he tried to work as much of my eleven inches into his mouth as he could. While he could only get about six into his mouth, he still was a great cocksucker.

Kevin pulled off my cock and stood up to kiss me again. After the kiss, he said, “Please fuck me with that huge cock, Johnny!”

“Ummm, Kevin, I’m sorry—I’m pretty much a bottom. I don’t think I can.”

“Nooooooo! I’m a total bottom myself. That just sucks!”

And there it is—the story of my sexual life. Whenever I find myself with a guy, either they’re terrified of my cock, or they try to take it and can’t. So, I learned to be a bottom and honestly—grew to love the sensation of a nice cock pumping in and out of my ass. So, there it was. Kevin and I ended up swapping blowjobs, and we fell asleep, satisfied but still a little frustrated.

The next morning, we woke up and awkwardly made our way around our morning business. As promised, I drove him to his car, and we went our separate ways. We were pretty friendly for the rest of the show’s run and hung out a bit, but nothing physical happened again.

As far as the new job is concerned, things couldn’t be better. I became great friends with Kyle, our sound engineer. Cassie, his girlfriend, worked part-time in the costume department as a seamstress. The three of us would hang out quite a bit. Cassie would try to set me up with her girlfriends, and I would always find a reason to beg off without hurting her feelings. One night while Kyle and I were in the booth working a show, he mentioned that Cassie wanted nothing more than to find a girlfriend for me, but she just couldn’t seem to find the right one for me. “Kyle, it’s not Cassie’s fault. I’m just not into them. I’m—well—I’m into guys.”

“Shit! Shut the front door! You’re gay? I had no idea, Johnny! You definitely don’t act gay!”

“Well, if you were to see me in bed with a dude, you’d definitely see me acting gay!” I just laughed as Kyle shook his head.

“Damn, Johnny! You know, nobody can figure you out. You’re such an enigma. I mean, everyone loves the fuck out of you, but none of them can figure you out. And trust me, there are plenty of boys and girls around here trying to!”

“I kinda like it that way, Kyle. I want people to get to know me and decide for themselves if they like what they see. I don’t want people to like me because of who I choose to sleep with, or because I have brown eyes, or because I don’t ever have to shave.”

Kyle just laughed a bit and said, “Well, don’t worry, dude. Your secret’s safe with me.”

“It’s no secret, Kyle. I mean, if you feel like you need to tell someone for whatever reason, it’s cool. I mean, I don’t see you running around with a big news flash for gossip’s sake.”

“No, that’s not how I roll, but I will tell Cassie so she’ll ease off on the matchmaking thing. Of course, now she’ll probably start bringing dudes around when the three of us hang.” Kyle smiled and just shook his head.

A few weeks later, Kyle and Cassie decided we would go to a bar for me. It was after a performance of Cabaret, and we all headed to Oilcan Harry’s, one of the largest and oldest gay bars in Austin. I can’t believe I had been in Austin for over a year, and I’d never been to the Fourth Street bars.

We had a wonderful time. The three of us would dance together for a few songs, then head to the bar and enjoy a beer or two. There were several people from the cast and crew that joined the three of us for what ended up being an impromptu cast party. Some of the boys (and a couple of the girls) asked me to dance, and I would go out to the dance floor with them. I am not a great dancer, but I can still have a good time.

After Eric (the actor who played the Emcee) and I finished a go on the dance floor, we went back to our crowd. Simon was there now, and the festive atmosphere dropped a few levels. As much as I like and respect Simon professionally, I quickly learned that he was not quite as adept on a social level when a few drinks were involved. He just kept talking shop to whoever would listen.

After another thirty minutes or so, the three of us decided to call it a night and left Simon and the cast behind. The next morning, I was at my drafting table working on a new light plot for Noises Off, our next production. Simon came in as he often does, holding two cups of Starbucks, and handed me one. “Did you have a good time last night, Johnny?” Simon had an odd smile, which I decided to ignore.

I thanked him for the coffee and took a sip. “Yeah, it was a lot of fun. Sorry we left early. I’m just not all that into big, loud crowds, I guess.”

“Well, I was surprised to see Kyle and Cassie there, and I’ve heard the rumblings about that you might be gay, but I was also surprised—and happy—to see you there!”

“Just rumblings?” I laughed and enjoyed some more coffee.

“Well, for the last six months, people have been wondering—'Is he?’ ‘isn’t he?’—it has been rather amusing watching the kids trying to figure you out.”

“Well, I’ve never really hidden my sexuality from my friends and family—or my co-workers, if the question ever came up. But most people seem to be afraid to come right out and ask me if I’m gay.”

“So are you?”

“Am I what, Simon? Gay?”

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t feel comfortable. I completely understand.”

“Yeah, I’m gay—and single—and very happy with my life!” I smiled at him, which I’m afraid he took the wrong way.

“That makes me very happy, Johnny. Perhaps some evening, I could pick you up and take you out to dinner and a show?”

“You mean a date?”

“If you want to look at it that way. Yes, Johnny—a date. That is, of course, if you don’t mind an older gentleman.”

I took a deep breath. I had feared that this type of conversation would eventually come up with Simon, and I was more than prepared with my answer. “Simon. Besides my father, up to now, you are the most important man in my life. You’ve taken me under your wing. You’ve mentored me. You’ve challenged me.

“But most importantly, you believed in me and what I could do. I have a career in theatre because of you, and for that, I will forever be grateful. As far as I’m concerned, our relationship is perfect the way it is. I like and respect you as much as is humanly possible. Your age has never been an issue with me, and it never will be. But adding a new dimension to our relationship—a new dimension like dating—or beyond—is something I’m not ready to do. I’m sorry, Simon. The last thing I ever wanted was to have this conversation with you. Not because I’m embarrassed or ashamed of who I am, but the last thing I want to do is hurt or reject you. You’ve been too good to me.”

“It’s okay, Johnny.” Simon walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder. “I’ve never been rejected so eloquently or in such a beautiful way. I’m so pleased that you are a part of our family here. And after hearing what you just said, I do agree that it may not be a good idea to add another dimension to a relationship that has been so wonderful and productive. You’re a good man, Johnny. Somewhere out in the world is a man who is going to find himself very, very lucky when he catches your eye, and you fall in love. Now—get back to work. I need that lighting plot on my desk by 5:00!”

Simon squeezed my shoulder and walked out of my office. I just let out a massive sigh of relief when my cell rang. I looked at the caller ID and saw it was Cassie.

“Hi, Johnny Breeze!”

“Cassie! Jesus, are you a breath of fresh air! I’ve not even been here an hour, and I already feel like I’ve had a full day! So, what’s up, dear girl?”

“Two things. First, did you hear the news yet?”

“What news?”

“The Board of Directors has sold out to an endowment and voted to make the theatre go pro. I just hope we can keep our jobs when all that comes down.”

“Whoa. I’d heard about that, but I didn’t think it would happen—at least not so quickly!”

“Yeah, well—I guess what happens happens. Second thing—I just scored a pair of tickets for the opening night of the Wicked tour, and Kyle can’t go. I was pissed until he told me to take you. After I thought about it for about two seconds, I realized that it was the perfect idea since you are loads more fun to see a musical with than my Kyle!”

“When is it?”

“April 17th. Check your book and make sure you’re free.”

I did just that, and it was open. “We have a date, Cassie! How much do I owe you for the ticket?”

“Not a damned thing, Johnny! I’m taking you to the theatre for Chrissake!”

“Fine! Then I’m taking you to dinner before!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Hey, sweetheart. Thanks for the call! I do need to get back to work on this plot. Simon wants it on his desk by the end of the day.”

“Okay, love. I’ll talk to you later. Kyle’s waving hi to you, by the way.”

“Tell him I said hi and enjoy his day off!”

“Will do!” I ended the call and went back to work, humming “Defying Gravity” and getting excited to see Wicked!

Over the next couple of months, the theatre was all abuzz about the changes on the horizon. Simon was wonderful and was rather excited. His job would be split into two positions, and he would be the managing director of the theatre. He would be running the business of the theatre and managing the income from the endowment.

I was relieved that our professional relationship grew stronger than ever after our conversation regarding my personal life. A couple of times, he even introduced me to some great guys. I went out with a couple of them, had some fun, but nothing special. He was becoming more and more like a surrogate dad to me, and it was turning out to be a great relationship. I was now comfortable enough to talk to him about pretty much anything and know that any remarks from his side were thoughtful and sincere. He was truly looking out for me and my best interests.

 

 

 

Part Two – Life gets Wickedly Interesting

April finally rolled around, and I was getting more and more psyched about seeing Wicked with Cassie. I’ve been listening to the cast album for several years now and loved the score. When the day finally arrived, I drove to Kyle and Cassie’s place to pick her up. Kyle was in Houston for the week at a family reunion, so Cassie was thrilled to have some company for the evening. I took her to the Driskill for dinner. It was nice to see some of my former co-workers again, and Cassie seemed impressed when Chef Thomas came out to our table to say hello. I was impressed when our bill came to the table and Chef had taken care of everything. He also left a note congratulating me on my success at the theatre. Cassie laughed when she saw my eyes open wide in shock. “Is it that bad, Johnny?”

“No! Look at this!” I showed her the check and note.

“Well, Mr. Breeze. I guess it pays to know you! Shall we go to the theatre now?”

Cassie was trying to put on some sort of airs and only proved why she was an excellent seamstress and not an actress. I shook my head and laughed as I left a generous tip.

We got to the theatre and took our seats in the front and side part of the mezzanine. It was up close with a completely unobstructed view of the stage. About five minutes before the show was to start, the conductor took his place in the pit. Whoa! This guy was hot! And I’ve already told you about my weakness for musicians! He was wearing a tight black t-shirt that outlined what looked like a great body. His hair was light brown, cut short on the sides—longer and wavy on top. He wore retro 1960’s glasses and was laughing with whoever he was talking to on the headsets.

“Niiiiice!”

“What are you talking about, Johnny?”

“The conductor. Something about him is just—wow!”

“Finally! Someone catches the eye of Johnny Breeze, and he’s only around for three weeks. Figures, huh?”

“Yeah, figures,” I replied just as the house lights dimmed for the beginning of the show.

As much as I love the music from Wicked, I’m ashamed to say I couldn’t focus on the show. It had absolutely nothing to do with the show. I know it was wonderful as Cassie and everyone around us was laughing, crying, and cheering throughout the night. But my attention was pretty much drawn to the stunning man leading the orchestra. He didn’t use a score and effortlessly led the musicians through the performance. Watching him conduct was like watching a dancer. His movements seemed to be choreographed along with the actors’ movements on the stage.

At intermission, I looked in the program and saw that his name was Jason Richardson. I felt like a teenage schoolgirl, just saying his name over and over in my head. Before the second act started, he turned his head and smiled as he looked in our direction. Now I know he was making sure the Flying Monkeys were in place, but he might as well have been looking at me—instant cock swelling had commenced. What the Hell was going on here? A total stranger who I will never see again has completely turned me into a blubbering idiot. Well, at the very least, I’ll have an excellent jack-off session tonight!

As the show came to an end, I stood with the rest of the audience. After the cast had taken their bows, they all gestured to the orchestra and applauded. I cheered out loud with several audience members—but my cheers were for Jason. Jason Richardson—the man of my jack-off dreams for the next several days.

I went back to the show the next night and sat alone. This time I got a seat near the back of the orchestra section and could only see the top of Jason’s head as he was conducting. At least this time, I was less distracted and able to focus more on the show—which was every bit as wonderful as Cassie had told me.

On Friday of that same week, I was up on the catwalk doing some maintenance and working on my inventory. Simon said it needed to be updated for the big changeover coming up. I was sorting and measuring light cable when Simon walked into the theatre.

I almost fell out of the catwalk when I saw Jason Richardson walking with him. Why was he getting a tour of the theatre from Simon? It didn’t make sense at all, but my cock didn’t care. I had to reach into my jeans and re-adjust so it was pointing down my leg. I couldn’t take my eyes off Jason. As he and Simon were walking around the stage, Jason turned around, and for the first time, I got a look at him from the front. I let out an audible gasp as I found myself staring at the most beautiful man I have ever seen.

He just stood there, gazing around the theatre, seeming to take it all in. And then it happened. A feeling of warmth and vibrant energy flowed through my entire body. Just as my Grandmother had told me so many years ago, I knew in an instant. I was looking at my soul mate. I was mesmerized by the sight of Jason standing down on the stage.

I saw Simon walk up to Jason and shake his hand. Whatever he said to Jason brought the most stunning smile to his face. He turned and scanned the theatre one more time, all the while smiling. I watched Simon and Jason leave the stage and head back out towards the lobby. I was trembling with emotion. What just happened? Why did Jason Richardson have this effect on me when I’ve only seen him from a distance? Even more importantly, what was he doing here with Simon?

Towards the end of the afternoon, I finished my work with the inventory and headed to Simon’s office. I knocked on the door and heard him invite me in. “Johnny! How was your day?”

My mind raced back to the memory of seeing Jason on our stage. “It was great, thanks. Do you have a couple of minutes?”

“Certainly, I have a few minutes. I can’t talk too long as I need to make calls to the Board members before I leave for the day. What’s on your mind?”

I took a deep breath. “I saw you in the theatre earlier this afternoon, showing Jason Richardson around. I was just curious. Why would he be in our theatre when he’s the conductor of the Wicked tour?”

“You were there? You should have introduced yourself! Jason has shown interest in the new AD position. He’s tired of traveling and is ready to settle down. As far as I’m concerned, he’s perfect for the job. I just need to get the Board together tomorrow afternoon so they can meet him.”

“Johnny? Are you okay?” I must have had a stunned look on my face.

“Oh—I—I’m sorry, Simon. I’m just a little surprised.”

“Do you know Jason? He is a delightful man, I might add.”

“No, I don’t know him. I’ve been trying to figure out how I could meet him, though. I saw him conduct Tuesday night, and I’ve not been able to shake him out of my thoughts.”

Simon cocked his head quizzically. “Oh? Is Johnny Breeze finally smitten with someone?”

“No, Simon. It’s much more than that. I’ve never had feelings like these from just seeing a man from a distance. It doesn’t make sense.” I paused, realizing what I’ve just said. “I’m sorry, Simon. That was too much information to share with my boss!” I blushed and looked down at my lap.

“Nonsense! Johnny, I hope I’m more than just your boss. You are like a son to me. I care deeply about the things that happen to you. I’m touched that you came to me and shared your feelings. Jason will be here tomorrow afternoon to meet the Board. I can ask him to come a few minutes early so he can meet you if you like.”

“No. He needs to concentrate on the Board. I’ll meet him when the time is right.”

“Well, why don’t you go grab some dinner before you have to be back for tonight’s show. I do need to make these calls.”

“Thank you, Simon. I just needed to know what was going on.”

“Glad to be of help, Johnny.”

I got up and walked to the door. I stopped and turned around. “Simon. Please don’t try to be a matchmaker here. I need to do this my way. In my own time. Okay?”

Simon feigned a dramatic sigh. “Well, Hell! I was getting ready to put on my Dolly Levi hat and help my favorite lighting man find the man of his dreams!”

“Who’s Dolly Levi?”

“Really? Really, Johnny? You can’t be a proper gay man without having seen Hello Dolly!

“Simon—please?”

“Okay, Johnny, you have my word. I will not meddle. But I will be here to help with anything you need.”

“Thanks, Simon!” I turned and walked to my office to get my things.

I got to my desk and pulled out my cell. I had to call Cassie. She answered on the second ring. “Hi, Johnny. What’s up?”

“Are you in the theatre?”

“Yeah, I had to throw the costumes in the dryer so they would be ready tonight.”

“Can you come to my office when you have a chance?”

“Sure, hon. I’ll be right down. Everything okay?”

“I think so. Yeah, everything’s good. You’ll never believe what just happened!”

By the time I finished my sentence, Cassie was walking in the door. We shut down our phones. “What’s happening, Johnny? What’s going on?”

“Jason Richardson.”

“Who?”

“The conductor from Wicked—Jason Richardson. He was here today.”

“Why on earth would he—"

“Apparently, he’s applying for the new Artistic Director job.”

“No way! You okay with that?”

“Yeah, way more than okay. I’m just a little stunned.”

“I’ll say! I’ve never seen you look this way, Johnny! It’s actually kind of adorable!” Cassie came over to me and hugged me.

I told her I had to get some dinner before the show and that I probably needed a change of scene as much as I needed some food. I went to the deli next door to the theatre and ordered a nice cranberry chicken salad along with some iced green tea. I can’t remember having been so happy.

I kept thinking back to my late grandmother and the many conversations we had had about spirits and soul mates. I felt her with me as I ate my dinner and immediately felt calm warmth overtake me. “Thank you, Nana,” I said quietly to the spirit I felt surrounding me. I knew right then that everything was going to be perfect.

As I was finishing my dinner, it came to me. How can I meet Jason in person when just seeing him at a distance makes my cock hard? It’s not something I can easily hide! Jesus, I don’t want that to be his first impression of me.

Apparently, the meetings and interviews with the Board of Directors went well. The following Friday, Simon sent an email to the theatre staff announcing Jason as our new Artistic Director. My heart started pounding with excitement! The email also said that Jason would be at the theatre for three afternoons next week, and we were all invited to stop by and introduce ourselves to him. Maybe if I jack off seventeen times before I met him, I could control the “monster!” We’ll have to cross that bridge next week.

I decided it would be best to blend into the background for the next week since every time I saw Jason, I had to turn around and head in the other direction to hide my cock. Sadly, I never got to meet Jason before he left town with the tour. I had to use my busy schedule as a reason since I was up to my ears in work designing for a dance company that would be renting the theatre next.

As it was getting closer to the arrival of Jason, Simon called me into his office. “Johnny, would you mind helping me out with something?”

“Sure, Simon. My workload is fairly light right now.”

“Jason has found three places he’s interested in renting when he gets here. He asked me if I would look at them and help him make his decision. I’m swamped with work this afternoon and was wondering if you would mind looking at them?”

“Sure, that’s cool.” Simon handed me the email from Jason with the three addresses.

“He wants to get this taken care of right away so he can arrange to have his furniture and belongings shipped in before he arrives.”

I grabbed my keys and hopped into the truck. The first place I saw was nice enough, but it was on a street full of construction. The noise and dust would make things miserable. I drove to the second address and didn’t even bother going in. The neighborhood was creepy and had a reputation for being unsafe. I drove to the last place and knew right away it was perfect. It had a covered parking garage and overlooked the lake.

I went into the loft and instantly fell in love with it. The living room was two stories, and the windows were floor to ceiling. It had a guest bedroom, a small office off the living area, a nice kitchen, and a dining room. The master suite was upstairs, also with floor-to-ceiling windows, huge walk-in closets, and a great bathroom. I knew this is the one he should have.

I went back to the theatre and let Simon know what I thought about the three apartments. “I was thinking the same thing without having seen them. I’ll email Jason and let him know what we think.”

“Simon, just let him know what you think. Do we want him thinking you just passed something so important off to an employee?”

Time passed rather quickly for the next several weeks as we all got ready for the arrival of Jason Richardson. We got Pippin up and running, and I was looking for a bit of a break. July and August gave the staff a break while the theatre was taken over by summer day camps and children’s productions. All I had to do was a general lighting plot that was to be used by all the shows.

It was about a week before Jason was to arrive. I was getting both anxious and excited. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to avoid him for long after he got here. But I also knew I really didn’t want to. It was Friday, and I was just about to finish up a production meeting for the summer schedule when my phone buzzed with a text. It was from Simon.

SBROSEMONT: can u stop by my office b4 u leave?

I had to chuckle seeing the ever-eloquent Simon using text language.

Toward the end of the day, I got my shit together and headed to Simon’s office. I knocked on the open door. “Johnny! Come in and have a seat. You can leave the door open.”

I took a seat in front of Simon’s desk. “What’s up, Simon?”

“Well, Jason sent me an email this afternoon saying that his furniture was scheduled to arrive Monday morning at 10:00. He asked if someone could work with the movers and make sure they set everything up in the proper rooms. He paid extra for them to place all the furniture according to the diagram he sent and attached to the email. Would you be interested in supervising the movers Monday?”

“Sure! Things have slowed down for me now that the show is up.”

“Jason said he would pay whoever I sent over, so just keep track—"

“No—I don’t want any extra money.”

“Well, I would also like you to go one step beyond. If you wouldn’t mind, I would like you to set up his loft as completely as possible, so when he arrives, Jason won’t have to kill himself doing it before he starts work.”

“So, I’ll just report to work at Jason’s place?”

“Sure. I’ll forward Jason’s email to you. Just call in here a few times during the day to let me know how things are going and to check in for any messages.”

“I don’t get messages, Simon. But I’ll be sure to check in.” I laughed as I left his office and headed for dinner before the evening’s show.

The weekend went by quickly. Simon left an envelope with keys and codes to get into the parking garage and the loft. Monday morning arrived, and I drove to the loft. I got there about 9:45, and sure enough, right at 10:00, the intercom phone rang. It was the movers. They were at the service entrance and needed the code. I gave it to them, propped the door to the loft open, and began the moving-in process. It only took about four hours for the crew to get everything into place. I signed the release and sent them on their way. I looked around the loft and agreed with Simon. I was going to make this place look wonderful so Jason would be surprised—and hopefully pleased.

Cassie, Kyle, and a few others from the theatre came by and pitched in a bit. Even JJ helped with some of the unpacking and set up the kitchen beautifully. Friday morning, I picked up a few things like deck chairs for the balcony, a few bottles of wine and champagne, and some basic toiletries if Jason needed them right away once he got here. When I got to the loft Thursday morning, I found a couple of the box office volunteers loading his refrigerator with groceries.

Apparently, they had all pitched in and decided to introduce him to some great Texas food. I walked into the living room and noticed a beautiful modern painting hanging over the fireplace. I called Simon to see if he knew anything about the artwork. He explained that he had wanted to do something special for Jason, and he had found some wonderful artwork. He put them in the living room and master bedroom.

I walked into the master suite, and sure enough, Simon’s artwork fit the décor beautifully. Almost all the boxes had been unpacked. There were several marked “personal,” and I just moved those into the office space. I had about six more boxes to go. All of them were marked books and videos.

The living room had two built-in shelves, which I began to fill. When I got to the fourth box, I got the surprise I had been hoping for! It was all porn—gay porn. I looked at a couple of the DVDs and was happy to learn that Jason was apparently into men with muscles. Things were definitely looking up! My cock was starting to swell, too! I put the DVDs back into the box, closed it up, and put it into the office with the rest of Jason’s things. As I finished the last boxes, I stood in the middle of the living room and looked around. The place looked great. I just hoped Jason would feel the same way.

I called Simon once again and told him everything was set up and ready for Jason. I was going to head to the theatre and get things ready for the night’s performance after I stopped and picked up something to eat on the way.

I got to the theatre and headed up to the booth to start my pre-show routine. Simon came in to say hi and thanked me for doing a great job on the loft. It was time for one more favor. “What is your schedule like tomorrow?”

I knew Jason was arriving tomorrow, and I asked Simon when his plane was landing. He told me he was scheduled to arrive at 12:35.

“Simon, may I pick him up? Please?” I flashed him my best puppy-dog eyes, followed by my dimpled grin.

“Of course you can. That would be a great help since I have mountains of work to get done before Jason starts. Anything else?”

“Well, actually there is—I was thinking that if things go well tomorrow—might I be able to spend the days next week helping Jason get settled. Of course, that is if he wants me to.”

“I think that’s a wonderful idea. You have nothing to do at the theatre right now during the days. In fact, I’ll do you one better.”

I looked at Simon with a puzzled look on my face. “Look, Johnny, it’s no secret to me how you feel about Jason. And just to ease his mind about the boss/employee thing, I’ll be sure to let him know in a very discreet way that everything will be just fine.”

“Simon! You would do that?”

“Of course I would, Johnny. I honestly think that the two of you would be perfect for each other. If I can help make that happen, then it would make me happy to see a dear friend happy. I’ll send some flowers to welcome him and attach a note to reassure him without blatantly telling him to take you bed!” He laughed and turned to leave the booth.

“Thank you, Simon! You’re the best!”

“My pleasure, Johnny. I truly hope everything works out—for both of you!” He winked at me, and I just blushed.

I really love the character of Johnny Breeze. The spiritual side of his personality is a huge part of his attractiveness (well, to me!). Okay---he's pretty hot, too!
I can't wait for you to see his take on meeting Jason. That's the next chapter!
Love you guys!
-Geoff
Copyright © 2020 FlyOnTheWall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Rather than being reassured by what we’ve learned about Simon, I’m even more disturbed. He claims that he thinks of Johnny as a son, yet he not only planted the video cameras in Jason’s new loft, but he jerked off while watching his ‘son’ having sex!

I don’t recall Chi Chi LaRue using incest as a theme, but she might have since she directed so many different movies for so many different studios. William Higgins was obsessed with incest as a theme, but he used porn-brothers (two unrelated men who resembled each other to varying degrees, most often created to boost a new performer’s profile by linking him with a more established and popular actor) while he was still in California. William Higgins did manage to find actual twin brothers after he moved to Prague. (I just learned that William Higgins died of a heart attack at 77 on December 21, 2019.)

Link to comment
18 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Rather than being reassured by what we’ve learned about Simon, I’m even more disturbed. He claims that he thinks of Johnny as a son, yet he not only planted the video cameras in Jason’s new loft, but he jerked off while watching his ‘son’ having sex!

I don’t recall Chi Chi LaRue using incest as a theme, but she might have since she directed so many different movies for so many different studios. William Higgins was obsessed with incest as a theme, but he used porn-brothers (two unrelated men who resembled each other to varying degrees, most often created to boost a new performer’s profile by linking him with a more established and popular actor) while he was still in California. William Higgins did manage to find actual twin brothers after he moved to Prague. (I just learned that William Higgins died of a heart attack at 77 on December 21, 2019.)

Given the breath and depth of your knowledge, I think you should become our new porn guru!  I don’t recall ever seeing any college courses titled “history of gay porn“, but it sounds like you could teach the class.  😏

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, tesao said:

Given the breath and depth of your knowledge, I think you should become our new porn guru!  I don’t recall ever seeing any college courses titled “history of gay porn“, but it sounds like you could teach the class.  😏

My expertise is too narrow and the depth of my knowledge is too shallow to be a true expert. I had a friend (who died of ALS in his mid-50s in the Nineties) who was much more knowledgable than I am. His porn collection encompassed 8mm film, video tapes, and digital images on his Macintosh LC. He once replaced the soundtrack to a seduction scene in William Higgins’ Big Guns with Ravel’s Bolero on his own copy of the movie – the music was only a little shorter than the scene, but matched the mood perfectly!
;–)

Link to comment

“Who’s Dolly Levi?”

Those are words that can get a gay card revoked!  😏

I agree about Simon: he’s a mixture of supportive and awful; unfortunately the creepy perv part tarnishes the rest for me.  Though he’s done wonderful things for Johnny, his blatant sexual interest in him - given his power position - provides a classic setting for sexual-harassment. To his credit, however, he did back off - if one doesn’t count the tawdry spy cams.

One of the many things I love about your stories, and this chapter in particular, is the fond theatre memories they trigger. I love all the shows you mention, but Angels in America had a life-changing impact on me.  Years after seeing it at A.C.T. in San Francisco, I was able to have a memorable one-on-one conversation with Tony Kushner in which I explained how his marathon play forced me out of the closet. When I explained why, he found it both poignant and humorous...and a bit eerie.  What an amazingly warm, humble, sweet guy he turned out to be.

I also enjoy how you weave pure fantasy into your stories.  I mean...house movers that show up on time?!  In what parallel universe does THAT happen?  😉

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

My expertise is too narrow and the depth of my knowledge is too shallow to be a true expert. I had a friend (who died of ALS in his mid-50s in the Nineties) who was much more knowledgable than I am. His porn collection encompassed 8mm film, video tapes, and digital images on his Macintosh LC. He once replaced the soundtrack to a seduction scene in William Higgins’ Big Guns with Ravel’s Bolero on his own copy of the movie – the music was only a little shorter than the scene, but matched the mood perfectly!
;–)

Your friend had a brilliant idea,  though Brian Boitano’s repeated Olympics performances forever ruined Bolero for me.  One of the greatest porn seduction scenes I can ever recall (I don’t remember the name of the film) was set to Chopin’s Scherzo #3 in C-sharp minor. It made it that much sexier.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Loved getting to know Johnny better and Simon too.  Poor Johnny, he really was all gaga over Jason before he even met him....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

OK.  Now we know a little more about Simon and how he's set-up the whole voyeur thing!  It's still creepy to me though.

I can't imagine what the fall out will entail once the main characters in this "show" discover they are being spied upon!!!

Hopefully Johnny's grandmother's prophesy of a true soul mate will be enough to bind his continued relationship with Jason.

Interesting story Geoff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..