Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 3,459 Words
  • 4,272 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Tattoo for Lex - 16. Chapter 16

Wedding plans get started.
First dinner with the future in-laws should be interesting!

Late Monday morning saw both men moving rather gingerly. After recovering from Lex’s kitchen attack, Ian had returned the favor over the couch later that night. They had indulged in sleeping in late and after they finally made it out of bed and through their shower they headed downstairs for breakfast. Neither felt like cooking so Ian pulled a couple of boxes of cereal out and they laughed when they both reached for the Lucky Charms instead of the Cheerios.

Lex grabbed his phone that he he had left on a charger on the counter. Seeing a text from Cassie and thinking it was her flight information he opened it as he took a bite of cereal. Big mistake. Lucky Charms and milk sprayed over the table as he laughed and snorted. He handed the phone to Ian who smartly swallowed his own bite before looking at it.

Cassie had sent two texts. The first was a picture of two monkeys laying on a rumpled bed wearing shit eating grins, one of them smoking a cigarette. The second was a cartoon monkey, obviously female by the bright red lipstick and bow on top of her head. She was holding a vibrator shaped like a banana.

Ian cracked up and asked “Is she always like this?”

Lex, still laughing, grabbed a napkin to wipe up his mess and replied. “Yep. You have no idea. She has no filter with me. She can’t, I see right through her. I’m not even going to try to explain her. It’s impossible. She’s definitely one of a kind. You’ll have to see for yourself when she gets here.”

Ian mused “Hmm. I can’t wait for her to meet my mom. I think I’ll make popcorn and get some Goobers for that show. Maybe we can even sell tickets. What do you think?”

Lex balled up his wet napkin and chucked it across the table at Ian’s head and chuckled when Ian ducked. “I think you’re nuts.”

Ian grabbed the napkin off the floor where it landed and tossed it toward the trash can, missing. He asked Lex “So what do you want to do today?”

Lex sobered and replied “I need to make a call to Boston and see if I can get an appointment with my father and you need to call Duke and see if he will cater our wedding. We should probably get a list started of what needs to be done. I really don’t want anything big and I think if we write down what we want to do, it will help keep it under control.”

Ian agreed and they both finished up their cereal and coffee. Lex put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and then went to get his phone. He opened the internet and pulled up the web page for his father’s law firm. His finger hesitated over the number. He looked up at Ian nervously. When Ian gave him a smile of encouragement he hit the number and waited for it to connect. He heard a pleasant greeting from the other end and quickly explained that he would like to make an appointment with Ryan Carson to discuss a family matter. When the receptionist pressed for more information he politely reiterated that he only wanted to deal with Mr. Carson. After a few minutes of going back and forth he finally thank the other person and ended the call.

Turning to Ian he wrapped his arms around him and said “September 21st at 3PM. I have an appointment September 21st. This is really happening.”

Ian pulled him tight and kissed his forehead “I’m proud of you. It took a lot of guts to take the next step. I’ll be with you all the way if you want me there. Why don’t we make a mini vacation out of it? We can head to Boston Wednesday or Thursday morning and do some sightseeing to keep you busy. We can always stay through the weekend depending on how things go.”

Lex returned his hug and answered “I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ll make us hotel reservations through the weekend.”

Ian grabbed his phone and called Duke. The older man was excited for them and after checking the calendar they decided that Saturday, October 13th would work best. Ian looked over at Lex and relayed “He wants us to meet with him to discuss the menu. How does lunch on Saturday sound?”

Lex answered. “Don’t forget Cassie will be with us. I’m sure she’ll love to throw her two cents in, but Saturday works. My schedule is more flexible than yours.”

Ian spoke with Duke for several more minutes catching up with him before ending the call. He had no sooner hung up when his phone rang. Looking at the caller ID he mouthed “Mom” to Lex before connecting with a bright cheery “Hi Mom!” He looked at Lex and rolled his eyes. “Yes, he’s right here Mom. OK, hang on.” Ian held out the phone and deadpanned “She wants to talk to you.”

Lex shot him a glance and took the phone. “Hello Kathy” he said. He listened to her for several minutes, his face taking on a look of worry. Occasionally he was able to interject with an “mmhhmmm”, or an “OK”, finally finishing up with “we will see you then.”

Ian raised his eyebrow with a look of amusement and went “See her when?”

Lex looked apologetic and answered “Tonight for dinner.”

Ian just sighed and muttered “That woman is impossible to say no to. Let’s just start on our list. That way when she starts to try and take over we can have everything outlined for her.”

Lex went searching for some paper and finding a notebook in one of the drawers, grabbed it and a pen and took a seat at the table with Ian. Together they brainstormed ways to keep it small. They started a column with things they needed to get, the first being a Justice of the Peace. Neither man was religious and they did not want any type of clergy to perform the ceremony. They added ordering folding chairs and a maybe a tent. Ian made a note to schedule his cleaning service to come in a few days before and clean the place from top to bottom. In the spirit of keeping things casual they decided to forgo tuxes and go shopping together for new outfits that were nice but not formal.

Ian lamented “But you would look so sexy and hot in a tux!”

Lex came back with “So would you, but do you want to deal with Cassie and her monkey suit comments all day?”

Ian snorted and laughed “You have a point. Tuxes nixed.”

Lex looked out the sliders to the backyard, taking in the space. He told Ian “Hey, why don’t I work on sprucing up the yard? I can thin out some of the overgrowth from those hedges on the side and all that crap in the back corner. Aren’t you supposed to prune stuff back in the fall anyways? I can replace the edging along the flower beds lining the patio and then when the leaves turn we can let them stay on the ground instead of raking them. It’ll be a beautiful carpet.”

Ian smiled brightly and said “You don’t mind? It’s a lot of work. The yard is bigger than it looks.”

Lex replied “Nah, I’ve got the time. I don’t have any pressing contracts right now and can take a break from it. This will give me something to do while you’re at the shop. Besides, we won’t have to order flowers if we let Mother Nature take control. Doesn’t Mother Nature trump your mom?”

Ian laughed at the mental picture of his mom trying to take on Mother Nature and conceded “You most certainly have an evil streak when it comes to getting your way don’t you?”

Lex merely grinned, evilly.

Ian glanced at the time and said “We should get going in a couple of hours. Traffic sucks on 91 with all the construction they’ve been doing.”

Just then Lex’s phone buzzed with an incoming text. He looked at it and his face brightened. “Cassie will be here Thursday morning. She got a flight into Bradley that gets in at 8:00AM”

Ian commented “You’ve really missed her haven’t you?”

Lex merely shrugged and said “She and her mom have been my only family for a long time.”

Ian placed his hands on Lex’s shoulders and looking into his eyes softly informed him “You have me now. AND my mom, dad, Sean, Jessie and the kids. We’ll be your family too.”

Lex’s eyes filled and threatened to spill over. He blinked them rapidly and wrapped his arms around Ian’s strong body and hugged him close, “Thank you,” he whispered.

They pulled apart and decided to see what the doctor’s were up to at Seattle Grace and watch a episode or two of Grey’s Anatomy.

After the second episode ended, Ian looked at the clock and admonished “Time to go. Mom hates it when people are late. The forecast is calling for rain later tonight so let’s take the truck.” The two men gathered their stuff and headed out the door. The ride to Agawam was uneventful. Lex made Ian stop so he could get some flowers for Kathy.

“What?” he asked. “It’s good manners to bring something to your future mother-in-law.”

Ian scoffed “You’re such a brown noser! But really, what’s the catch? I know you have an ulterior motive.”

Lex retorted “There’s a method to my madness my love. If I bring her flowers then she can’t get mad when we tell her she can’t take over the wedding plans.”

Ian chortled “You are so cute when say things like that! I’d even bet that you really believe it too.”

Lex looked at him and conceded “Well it won’t hurt.”

Ian glanced over and seeing Lex’s dejected look laughed harder “You have a lot to learn when it comes to dealing with Mom!”

Lex smacked his shoulder and smiling merely said “Shut up” as they pulled into the driveway.

Ian put his hand on Lex’s arm to stop him from getting out of the truck. “Lex, seriously though, don’t let her intimidate you. She can be pretty demanding. She won’t say anything but I know she thinks we’re moving rather quickly. She doesn’t disapprove, but rather she’s concerned. You don’t have to tell her anything about the auras or our connection. Just whatever you’re comfortable with. She’ll understand, she may not like it but she’ll respect whatever boundaries you set for her.” Chuckling again he added “And you WILL have to set boundaries.”

Lex nodded and grabbing the flowers he got out of the truck. Together they walked into the house hands clasped together in silent support.

Ian called out “Mom? We’re here!”

Kathy’s voice answered “In the kitchen sweetie!”

Kathy was wiping her hands on a towel when they stepped into the bright kitchen. Lex was hit with the smell of garlic and tomatoes.

“Mmmmmmmm” Ian hummed. “Lasagna, Boy she must really like you,” as he stepped over and hugged his mom.

Kathy returned the hug and then turned to Lex and pulled him in for a hug of his own. She got up on her tiptoes and gave him a kiss on his cheek “Keep it up my child and I will gladly replace you with this young gentleman.” she directed at her son.

Lex handed her the flowers and when she turned away from him he stuck out his tongue at his fiance.

Ian just laughed. “Mom what do you need help with?” as he did his own sucking up.

Kathy set them both to work telling Lex to take over washing and cutting up some vegetables for the salad and she sent Ian to get a couple of bottles of red wine from the bar and open them.

Rick walked through the door as they all were bantering in the kitchen. He smiled when he saw the easy going interaction between them. Stealing a piece of carrot from the salad he gave his wife a kiss.

Kathy smacked his hand and admonished “Get out of the salad, supper’s almost ready, go get changed then you can pour the wine while the boys set the table. She then turned and opening the oven, grabbed the mitts and pulled out the most yummy looking pan of lasagna Lex had ever seen. Setting it on the counter she looked at the boys and commanded “What are you waiting for? Set the table so we can have salad first while the lasagna cools off a little bit.”

The boys quickly did as they were told and as Rick came back in he grabbed the wine and poured everyone a glass. Sitting down he waited for the others to settle into their chairs before raising his wine glass and announced “I’d like to propose a toast. To Ian and Lex, congratulations and may your journey be filled with happiness and love.”

Clinking their glasses with each other Kathy added “Welcome to the family Lex.”

Ian shot Lex a look that said ‘I told you so” and smiled over the rim of his glass.

Lex took a sip of wine and looked at Kathy and Rick and replied “Thank you. It means a lot to me to be included in your family. I look forward to our journey. Ian has wonderful role models.”

They helped themselves to salad and just as Lex and Ian took a bite Kathy started “So boys, have you set a date yet? You need to start looking at venues. Remember when Sean and Jessie started looking? So many places book up months in advance. I think I still have a list from when they were planning. I can get it after dinner if you’d like. What about the guest list? Do you know how many people you want to invite?”

Ian rolled his eyes at Lex. Knowing that she deliberately waited until their mouths were full, he swallowed his bite of salad and as Lex finished chewing rebuked “Mom, we’ve already set a date. October 13th. It’s going to be at our house and Duke is going to cater. It’s going to be small. No more than twenty people. Twenty, Mom. Lex and I don’t want a big formal affair. We’re keeping it small and casual.”

Lex saw Kathy’s crestfallen face and before she could say anything he interjected “Kathy, I don’t do well with large groups of people. I told you a little about my background before, but I think you deserve to know the whole story.”

Ian glanced at him with a concerned expression. Lex assured him “It’s OK. I don’t mind telling her.”

“Kathy why don’t you serve the lasagna and while we eat I’ll tell you more about my background so you’ll understand where I’m coming from and why we need to keep things small.” Lex said to placate her.

Kathy was quiet while she plated the food and when they all had a good size serving Lex told her about his upbringing, being raised by his and Cassie’s mom and the Hansen’s. He explained how his mom got married and then was diagnosed with cancer and how she lost her battle. When he started to tell her about his stepfather and his slide into depression and insanity he had to reach over and take Ian’s hand and Ian squeezed it reassuringly.

Kathy and Rick both teared up when he disclosed what happened the night he got his scars and the long recovery. He hesitated before deciding on telling them about the ability to see auras. He figured that they were family and should know. It helped to explain why he didn’t like big crowds of people.

Neither Rick nor Kathy spoke a word. They took everything in stride, never doubting Lex’s story for a second. Lex saw all the emotions flicker and whirl through their auras around them. Blue sadness enveloped them when Lex spoke of losing his mom. Angry red flared brightly when Lex described his abuse. Disbelief, horror, pity were some of the negative colors that were reflected. Yet through it all they both glowed brightly with an almost fluorescent yellow. Lex felt a sense of pride in himself when he saw that color of admiration they held for him flow through their auras.

Noting how the dinner had turned rather somber Lex was able to lighten the mood and relayed how he came to Western Mass, meeting Jarren and Mazen, Ms. Helen and finally Ian. They were surprised when he told them that he gave Ian full control over his tattoo and how he never looked at it once during its creation.

Kathy was first to speak. “You are an incredible young man Lex, I can’t express how happy I am that Ian found you. Your mom would be proud of you. I know I can’t take her place but I hope that someday you’ll think of me with the love that shows when you speak of her.”

Rick echoed his wife’s sentiments “Lex please consider us your family. I’ve always known that Ian has a good heart and you seem to be the perfect match for him.” Turning to Ian he lightened the mood and pleaded “But please, for the love of God let your mother do SOMETHING to help plan this wedding. I will never hear the end of it otherwise!”

They all laughed and noting that all of the plates had been finished, Ian and Lex helped clear the table and clean up. Rick joined in and in no time Kathy pulled out some ice cream and they went out to the deck to enjoy the twilighted evening that was starting to cloud over.

Lex offered an olive branch and asked Kathy “My friend Cassie is flying in Thursday morning. Would you like me to stop by and introduce her? I think that Ian and I would be OK with you two picking out something for us to wear. We don’t want anything formal and I hate shopping for clothes. Ian may not have the time as the shop has been pretty busy lately. I’m not sure how long she is staying but I’m sure she will make time.”

Ian almost choked on his ice cream. Shooting a sheepish look at Lex he stammered “Yeah, Mom. I’d, uh. I’d be o-okay with that.”

Rick broke. He laughed heartily and proclaimed “I can’t wait.”

Kathy shot her husband and son a scathing glare that did nothing but fuel her husband’s laughter and caused her son and future son-in-law to join in. “Sure, laugh now, but when you’re wearing pink and green polka dotted zoot suits you’ll be wishing you had decided to elope.” Directing her stare back onto her husband she continued “And you, I know the perfect shade of lilac that will bring out your eyes.”

She was able to hold onto her straight face while the three men struggled to control themselves but after about fifteen seconds of staring them down she too broke and giggled uncontrollably.

Finally gaining control she looked at Lex and said “Honey, I’d be honored to pick out your attire and I’m looking forward to meeting Cassie, she sounds like a lovely girl.”

Ian roared with laughter once more at that remark stating “Yeah, just perfectly lovely, right Lex?”

“Behave.” Lex admonished with a smile.

Rick turned to Lex and asked “Can we see your tattoo Lex? Ian is an amazing artist and I love seeing his work.”

Kathy looked at him expectantly.

Lex just shook his head and apologized “I’m sorry, but I promised Cassie she would be the first one I showed it to, but as soon as she sees it then you can.”

By this time the clouds had increased and the gentle breeze that they had been enjoying turned into wind. Cold drops of rain started to fall and they quickly grabbed their empty bowls and headed into the house. Kathy told them to leave the bowls in the sink and she would take care of them later. Lex exchanged phone numbers with her and Rick and told Kathy he would let her know when he would stop by with Cassie. After bestowing more hugs and kisses Lex and Ian made a mad dash through the falling rain and jumped into the truck.

Ian pulled Lex to him and kissed him thoroughly then proclaimed “I’ll be damned, you won her over.”

Lex just sat there smugly “Yup, I sure did.”

Thanks for sticking with me. As always I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Copyright © 2019 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 30
  • Haha 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, ObicanDecko said:

Lex is very lucky, not just for finding Ian, but also for the fact that Ian has such a great and supportive family!

Cassie meeting Kathy should be fun! ;) 

Lex is very lucky. Rick and Kathy are pretty laid back. It will definitely be interesting to see what Cassie and Kathy do when they meet!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Hellsheild said:

I'm broke as hell and I'd still buy tickets for the meeting of the xx chromosomes 

It should be fun, that's for sure! :D

  • Like 5
Link to comment

So we learn some more, start to plan a wedding, and spend an enjoyable evening with Lex's new family. He is lucky! I think they will be a good fit. I continue to enjoy Lex and his story. I can't wait for the meeting with bio-dad. I am curious to see how it goes. Thanks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Kathy v. Cassie!!! The previous comments have me in stitches. I'm not sure I can confidently predict a victor should there be a tussle. I believe they'll get along. It's either that, or zoot suits...

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Kathy v. Cassie!!! The previous comments have me in stitches. I'm not sure I can confidently predict a victor should there be a tussle. I believe they'll get along. It's either that, or zoot suits...

I might have played up the drama.... a tad. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 3/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, astone2292 said:

Kathy v. Cassie!!! The previous comments have me in stitches. I'm not sure I can confidently predict a victor should there be a tussle. I believe they'll get along. It's either that, or zoot suits...

I would think we don't want a victor. Think of the consequences!

Sometimes a friendly stalemate is best.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

I would think we don't want a victor. Think of the consequences!

Sometimes a friendly stalemate is best.

They both can hold their own 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

My Mom's name was the same as Ian's Mom's, except hers was Cathy. 

I LOVE Ian's parents they're amazing, and it shows the progress Lex is making by trusting them with his history. Just goes to show you, love can heal all wounds and bridge any divide, with time. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Ajbt2001 said:

My Mom's name was the same as Ian's Mom's, except hers was Cathy. 

I LOVE Ian's parents they're amazing, and it shows the progress Lex is making by trusting them with his history. Just goes to show you, love can heal all wounds and bridge any divide, with time. 

Kathy was a very common name with the Boomers and GenX'ers. I have two aunts, and a SIL with the name, plus I had a niece Cate. I can't even count the friends and family acquaintances that I know either. All of them were either Catherine or Kathleen. Drove my mom crazy. 

Lex's parents are da bomb!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..