Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 2,883 Words
  • 7,248 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Tattoo for Lex - 1. Chapter 1

This is my first attempt at writing a full length story. It starts a little slow, but I promise it picks up a couple of chapters in.

Lex shook his head, wondering which power to be he could have pissed off. The sky above him was a mass of swirling slate gray clouds ready to pour down upon anyone unlucky enough to be caught outside. Caught outside he definitely was. There was a low rumble of thunder and flashes of lightning in the distance, another sure sign that he was about to get wet. Lex looked at the motorcycle in front of him and said, “Really? You had to pick now to breakdown?” The 1953 Indian Chief had no reply and he didn't expect one. Lex unlatched a saddle bag and pulled out his waterproof pullover jacket. Just as he was pulling it over his head he heard the low thrum of a vehicle approaching. He looked up and saw a black Ford F-250 coming around the corner. As it approached it slowed down and drew to a halt alongside of him.

The passenger window descended and a well built blond looked at Lex and asked, “ Hey buddy, are you OK?”

Lex looked over, quickly assessing that there was no malicious intent and replied, “I could use a lift to the closest town. My bike’s decided that now would be a great time to break down."

The blonde nodded to the driver, another blonde who looked remarkably like him. Definitely related. “I’m Jarren and this is my brother Mazen. Let’s get the bike on the bed before the sky opens up on us.” With thunder rolling across the sky, Mazen backed the truck up in front of the bike. Jarren opened up the gate and dragged a metal ramp off and dropped it into its catch slot. “We should be able to roll him right on up no problem. Mazen and I go dirt biking and the ramp is coming in handy today for sure”.

Lex nodded his approval. Within a few minutes the three young men had the bike rolled up the ramp and quickly secured and tied down. Big fat raindrops started to pelt the boys and the truck as they tightened the last of the straps holding the bike in place. Mazen quickly jumped into the driver’s seat while Lex scooted to the middle and Jarren slid in and shut the door. As soon as the truck was on its way there was a bright flash and a tremendous clap of thunder and the rain started to pour down like a river breaking through the flood gates.

Lex looked at each of the brothers and said, “Thanks for stopping back there. I would’ve been in a world of hurt right about now. I really appreciate it. I’m Lex by the way, Lex Hewson.”

Mazen merely nodded and Jarren replied, “Hey, it’s no problem, really. I wouldn’t want to be stranded with a storm approaching and neither would the caveman sitting next to you.”

Mazen scoffed. “You better watch it idiot, I can still pull over and push you out into the mud. Wouldn’t want you to get your prissy boots all muddy now would you?”

Lex chuckled and looked down at Jarren’s feet. Sure enough, while they were technically classified as work boots, they had an oxford pattern in black with multi-shades of grays and dark blues as accent colors. Definitely prissy.

Lex took a deep breath and let his eyes see the colors swirling and pulsing around each of the young men on either side of him. As he focused on Jarren he saw that the handsome blonde was gay and his brother straight. Both men were pretty honest and hardworking. Mazen lacked the social skills that his brother had which explained why he seemed quieter. Jarren’s confidence however was undermined by his insecurities surrounding his sexuality. Lex took another breath and let his self-developed filters slide into place.

Lex was hiding a secret from everyone around him. He had the ability to see and interpret the auras that surrounded every living being. It had been with him his whole life. When he was little it kinda freaked out those around him. The other kids were quick to label him weird. By the time he was halfway through kindergarten he had learned to keep his thoughts and ability to himself. He had to teach himself how to look past the colors that constantly swirled and churned around everyone while at the same time learning what the differences in the colors and shades meant. For instance he knew early on that when a certain shade of yellow surrounded his mom it meant that she was tired. Another, brighter shade of yellow meant that she was happy. He loved it when that color surrounded her as it tended to do whenever they were together.

Bringing himself back into the present he gave another quick glance at Jarren’s boots and said “Where the hell did you ever find those things?”

Jarren gave a short snort. “Amazon dude, Amazon!” Aren’t they awesome?”

Mazen chuckled and Lex started giggling. Next thing you know all three of them were laughing uncontrollably. It took a few minutes but after they settled down Lex asked, “How far is it to town?”

Jarren glanced over and replied, “About 20-25 minutes, hopefully the rain will let up.”

Lex asked them if there was a garage they could recommend. Mazen looked over at Jarren and told him to call David. Jarren smiled and took a phone out of the glove box. When the call connected Lex heard Jarren ask the person on the other end if he could meet them at the shop and said they would be there in about 20 minutes.

After hanging up Jarren looked over at Lex explaining, “Our friend David owns a garage. He said we can drop the bike there and he can take a look at it tomorrow. He sounded excited when I told him it was an Indian Chief. He’s a bit crazy when it comes to classic cars and motorcycles.”

“Great,” Lex replied. “Is there a motel or somewhere I can get a room for a couple of nights?”

Mazen sighed and said “The one and only motel is out by the highway a good ways away from the center of town. The only other place I can think of is Ms. Helen’s. She used to run a bed and breakfast until her husband passed away a couple of years ago. She decided to retire but still owns the house. I know she occasionally takes in a boarder here and there. We can see if she’d put you up for a little while until your bike is fixed. Normally I’d say you could stay with us but we had a nasty storm a couple of months ago that did some damage to the house and it’s a mess with the repairs and renovations we have going on. Most nights I don’t even want to stay there.”

Lex gave him a small smile, replying, “I wouldn’t want to impose on you anyway. I like my privacy and would rather find a room to myself, no offence.”

“None taken,” was the response from Jarren. “So what brings you out this way Lex?"

Lex inhaled and with a small smile replied, “I just got a bit of wanderlust going on. I’m an IT contractor so I can pretty much work from wherever, as long as I have an internet connection. Been moving around the country seeing the sights as I go along. There’s so much see and do.”

Jarren looked at him and nodded. Lex just hoped he bought it.

The remainder of the ride the three young men engaged in small talk. Lex learned that the two brothers shared a house not far from where they grew up and worked for their dad’s general contracting business. Mazen had a girlfriend, Kelly, who he had been seeing for about 6 months. Jarren merely said he was single.

Mazen made a left turn down a short dead end street and on the left was the entrance to the garage. He pulled up to the furthest bay door on the left and honked his horn. The door started rising and when it was open enough the truck pulled in. Standing inside the bay door was a man who looked to be in his early 40’s. Lex put him at just under 6 feet with broad shoulders and lean muscle. Mazen jumped down from the cab and greeted the man.

David looked at the motorcycle on the truck bed and let out a long whistle of admiration. “Wow, that is a gorgeous bike! You take great care it,” looking over at Lex. Introductions were made and David told Lex he would take a look at the bike in the morning as he was already committed to dinner at his in-laws. The bike was quickly unloaded and left in the bay. Lex thanked him after giving him his contact information and told him he would see him in the morning. He turned to Mazen and Jarren and asked where he could find this Ms. Helen they spoke of. Mazen told him to get in the truck and they would drop him off.

The rain had let up and it was barely sprinkling when the truck pulled into the driveway of a two story Victorian house. Lex admired the wrap around porch and the turreted corners of the house. He saw an older lady come to the door and both Mazen and Jarren waved at her.

Jarren opened his window, and using his most charming voice said, “Good afternoon Ms. Helen, our friend here is in a bit of bind and needs a room for a few nights. Would you be able to help him out?”

Lex saw the colors of indecision flicker around her and for a moment felt the old familiar feeling of being unwanted rise up. He blinked it away and let his filters drop into place.. He smiled and leaned across Jarren to add, “I don’t want to put you out. If it’s too much trouble I can just stay at the motel across town.”

Helen’s colors swirled anew and she shook her head and replied, “Hmmph, that place isn’t fit for a flea infested dog. Come on in. I don’t mean to be rude, I just haven’t had company in a while.”

Lex grabbed his two duffle bags that he had taken from his bike’s saddlebags and his helmet and asked the boys how much he owed them for the ride. Mazen smirked and told him to take Jarren out for a ride on his bike and feed him dinner when his bike was fixed. Lex could have sworn Jarren blushed before telling his brother to shove it up his ass. Lex could still hear Mazen laughing as they pulled out of the driveway. A worried wrinkle flickered across his brow and he quickly shook it off.

As Lex climbed the stairs to the porch Ms. Helen looked at him and said, “You don’t need to worry. Jarren’s not meant for you and he knows it.”

Lex eyes widened and he replied, “That’s good. I’m not looking for a relationship. I prefer to keep to myself.”

With that they went into the house and Ms. Helen gave Lex a quick tour. The foyer they came through led into a good size, cozy living room. Lex had expected the decor to be old fashioned as the house itself was over 100 years old. He was pleasantly surprised to find it tastefully decorated and was even impressed with the large flat screen TV mounted to the wall above the fireplace.

Ms. Helen raised an eyebrow and chuckled. “What’d you expect? Doilies, lace and frilly curtains?” Lex’s blush was enough of an answer for her.

They continued down a short hallway with a half bath on the right and a study/office to the left. The kitchen at the end of the hallway was bright and held every modern appliance known to man. Lex was impressed.

Ms. Helen smiled and said “Breakfast is included in the board and you’re welcome to use the kitchen to fix any other meals. Come on, let’s go upstairs and I’ll show you your room. You’ll have your own ensuite bathroom. There are four bedrooms and three bathrooms up here. Two of the bedrooms share a bath. Two have their own.”

Lex replied, “I’m not picky.”

Ms. Helen opened the door to a good sized room with a sloping ceiling on one side. There was a matching queen size bed, nightstand and highboy for furniture. Through an open door Lex could see a small bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower. “This will do just fine,” he said as he placed his duffle bags on the floor next to the bed. “Is there somewhere close by where I can get a bite to eat?”

“Jake’s is down the street about three blocks. Nothing fancy, but decent burgers and sandwiches.

Lex thanked her and gave a small smile when she handed him a key saying “I usually lock up around 9:00, this will get you in the front door if you come in later. Don’t worry about disturbing me, my apartment is behind the kitchen.” With that she turned and left.

Lex closed the door and went over to the bathroom. He turned on the shower and stripped down, wincing at the pull of tight skin across his back as he waited for the water to warm up. After a quick shower to wash off the dirt and grime from handling the bike he pulled on clean jeans which hugged his ass and a loose fitting t-shirt. Closing the front door behind him Lex set off down the street.

The rain had stopped and the clouds were thinning, small patches of clear sky peeking through. Sure enough three blocks down was an average building on a corner lot with a sign above the door indicating Jake’s Bar and Grille. Lex pulled open the door and entered the bar area. As he took a seat at the end of the bar the bartender looked up questioningly.

“Coors Light on tap and a menu please.”

The bartender slid a menu over and moved down the bar to pull the draft. Lex scanned the menu and when the bartender came back over with his beer he ordered a burger and fries. He gave a quick glance around and saw your typical small town patrons scattered around the bar. The two pool tables were in use and the televisions were tuned to the usual sports channels.

As he waited for his food a young guy and girl, in their early 20’s came in and the guy called over to the bartender “Hey Jake! Get a load of this!” as he pulled up his sleeve.

Lex looked over and saw a fresh tattoo on the young man’s arm. The detail was incredible. It was a silhouette of a couple sitting on the ground looking up at an explosion of fireworks. The fireworks almost seemed to jump out at you. The young guy saw Lex looking and remarked, “Pretty awesome huh?”

“Can I look at it closer?” Lex asked.

The kid slid over to the barstool next to Lex and held out his arm. Upon closer inspection Lex could see that the tattoo was covering scars within the fireworks.

He looked up and the kid commented, “Yeah, he covered up my scar from when my brother tripped me and I fell into a pile of scrap metal when we were kids.”

Sure enough when he looked at it again he could see how the tattoo artist incorporated the jagged lines of the scar into the burst pattern of the tattoo, giving it a 3D look.

“Wow. that’s incredible. Where did you have it done and who did it?”

The kid smiled. “Ian McColm did it. He owns the tattoo shop around the corner. The place is open until 8 if you’re thinking of getting one done.”

Lex nodded his thanks and once again expressed his admiration of the artwork. He smiled to himself as the bartender placed his food in front of him..

A short while later he finished up his meal and paid his tab, leaving a generous tip. A quick glance at his phone showed him that it was 7:30. Lex took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He had to admit that the artistry of the tattoo that he saw was breathtaking, but could he summon the courage to do what he was contemplating?

It wasn’t the thought of pain that made him shy away. It was the fact that he would have to expose the evidence of his second best kept secret to another person. The only way to find out if he had the balls was to check out the tattoo shop. After another deep, shaky breath he walked to the corner and sure enough saw a sign announcing Ian’s Ink a short way down the street. He made his way down to the doorway and glancing in saw a well kept lobby area with a desk and computer to the right. The walls were adorned with framed pictures of tattoos. Giving himself both a mental and physical shake Lex pulled open the door and stepped inside.

Thanks for reading! Please let me know what you think.
Copyright © 2019 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 73
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



This is the second time I have started this series. I don't remember either what distracted me completing the reading the first time or any of the story. I do note that the several comments I see are of recent vintage, so I may, from time to time make a comment as the author is probably still checking the comments pages. I have found elsewhere that by the time a series is published the author is so sick of reading and re-reading her work to make grammatical and punctuation corrections that she no longer reads the comments, however, this posting is new enough so that the author is probably still interested. I will not comment on pacing however as that is the prerogative of the author (in concert with the Editor if there is one, though I do not see either an Editor or a Beta Reader listed for this story), but I will comment infrequently I hope, on grammatical errors. Grammarly is an excellent program for correcting spelling, but it doesn't detect homophones, and frequently the author's eye skips right over those even on second and third readings. That is where a 'fresh eye' is valuable.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I do enjoy a good drifter character. Lex has oodles of secrets, and I can't wait to see them revealed. 

Miss Helen! I love a mystic lady! Jarren's not meant for Lex? That's fine, I'll go after the prissy-booted working man. Sounds delicious. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
kbois

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I do enjoy a good drifter character. Lex has oodles of secrets, and I can't wait to see them revealed. 

Miss Helen! I love a mystic lady! Jarren's not meant for Lex? That's fine, I'll go after the prissy-booted working man. Sounds delicious. 

Jarren has his own gig going on. Besides....what would your husband say?

Yes, Lex has oodles of secrets. You sure you want to go there?

Happy reading and when you meet Cassie tell that whacky bee-atch hello from me. It's been a while since she's been in my head. 

Edited by kbois
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, kbois said:

Jarren has his own gig going on. Besides....what would your husband say?

Yes, Lex has oodles of secrets. You sure you want to go there?

Happy reading and when you meet Cassie tell that whacky bee-atch hello from me. It's been a while since she's been in my head. 

Pfft. Noah would shoot his shot too.

I like going places, and I like whacky bee-atches too!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 3/20/2019 at 1:16 PM, Will Hawkins said:

This is the second time I have started this series. I don't remember either what distracted me completing the reading the first time or any of the story. I do note that the several comments I see are of recent vintage, so I may, from time to time make a comment as the author is probably still checking the comments pages. I have found elsewhere that by the time a series is published the author is so sick of reading and re-reading her work to make grammatical and punctuation corrections that she no longer reads the comments, however, this posting is new enough so that the author is probably still interested. I will not comment on pacing however as that is the prerogative of the author (in concert with the Editor if there is one, though I do not see either an Editor or a Beta Reader listed for this story), but I will comment infrequently I hope, on grammatical errors. Grammarly is an excellent program for correcting spelling, but it doesn't detect homophones, and frequently the author's eye skips right over those even on second and third readings. That is where a 'fresh eye' is valuable.

So true. I die for a beta reader, but I'm over-sensitive on GA, since - as soon as my first prologue came out - a long-experienced member of GA DMed unfairly and with profanity accused me of not doing proper research. I wrote back, proving that the sentence in question was correct and that I HAD researched the item in question. His response (in a forum, not a DM) was snooty, so - once burned, twice shy, as they say. I like Grammarly, but I find it isn't as stringent as I would prefer, and I often write in non-American Standard English or even dialect. It also flags sentences in Spanish. I use AutoCrit as my beta reader and editor, and it helps a great deal, but I often ignore its suggestions. Ah, the vicissitudes of being a writer!

I'm also late to the series and looking forward to reading what kbois writes.

Edited by Tim Hobson
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Tim Hobson said:

So true. I die for a beta reader, but I'm over-sensitive on GA, since - as soon as my first prologue came out - a long-experienced member of GA DMed unfairly and with profanity accused me of not doing proper research. I wrote back, proving that the sentence in question was correct and that I HAD researched the item in question. His response (in a forum, not a DM) was snooty, so - once burned, twice shy, as they say. I like Grammarly, but I find it isn't as stringent as I would prefer, and I often write in non-American Standard English or even dialect. It also flags sentences in Spanish. I use AutoCrit as my beta reader and editor, and it helps a great deal, but I often ignore its suggestions. Ah, the vicissitudes of being a writer!

I'm also late to the series and looking forward to reading what kbois writes.

There is a vast difference in this story and my latest one. All because I found a great beta reader and awesome editor. Both are crucial to making sure formatting and continuity is correct. 

Enjoy!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 5/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, kbois said:

There is a vast difference in this story and my latest one. All because I found a great beta reader and awesome editor. Both are crucial to making sure formatting and continuity is correct. 

Enjoy!

Just started this story, @kbois, because I saw so many references to it in Spirit Wolves. I do like the start, so I will keep reading.

I'm using Grammarly for basic grammar and a few word substitutions. But I also rely on a beta reader and an editor. Between them, they pick-up continuity breaks I sometimes make. My beta reader also is full of suggestions to complete my sometimes incomplete ramblings.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

Just started this story, @kbois, because I saw so many references to it in Spirit Wolves. I do like the start, so I will keep reading.

I'm using Grammarly for basic grammar and a few word substitutions. But I also rely on a beta reader and an editor. Between them, they pick-up continuity breaks I sometimes make. My beta reader also is full of suggestions to complete my sometimes incomplete ramblings.

My betas are pains in the asses, but one's a loveable geek and the other one keeps me laughing. Between my team and Grammarly, my writing has vastly improved since this first story. 

Errors aside, I'll always love the premise and the characters. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

This is an extremely intriguing start. Can't wait to read more. @kboisyou're an extremely talented writer with impressive descriptive powers. The characters, town, and vehicles you've described came to life in my imagination.

Thank you for taking so much time to create this world. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Ajbt2001 said:

This is an extremely intriguing start. Can't wait to read more. @kboisyou're an extremely talented writer with impressive descriptive powers. The characters, town, and vehicles you've described came to life in my imagination.

Thank you for taking so much time to create this world. 

Ooooh. Take this one knowing it was my first story. Self-edited. (Meaning lots of errors I can now see but don't have time to go back and fix!)

That being said... Lex is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, kbois said:

Ooooh. Take this one knowing it was my first story. Self-edited. (Meaning lots of errors I can now see but don't have time to go back and fix!)

That being said... Lex is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

I self edit my stories also. I write using grammarly, so I know all about seeing mistakes and not having time to fix them. 

Lex seems very fun so far. I'm looking forward to getting to know him. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..