Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 1,005 Words
  • 592 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 28. Rainbow Waffles

Written for Pride. Inspired by Renee's contest.

 

 

It was Sunday, and we were still in bed. It was nice to be lazy. I turned onto my right side and snuggled up against my big, sexy boyfriend.

"Love? I don't know if you can hear that, but I'm hungry."

I moved my left hand and rubbed Jake's flat, furry, and growly belly. "Mmm, yeah, I can hear that. Want me to cook some breakfast?”

He smiled and slipped an arm around me. "Mmm, food sounds perfect. But I want some waffles.”

I closed my eyes as his sweet lips met mine. Personally, at that moment, food was not topping the to-do list.

"I'll tell you what, love. We'll shower and dress and head to Barnaby's for brunch."

Barnaby's was an old-fashioned restaurant that served excellent food. Their Sunday brunch was known throughout the area.

"We'll never get in there, Bear. It's always so packed."

Jake smiled and kissed me again. "Well, then. It's just your luck that I love you because I made reservations two weeks ago."

"What?" I sat up. "Why?"

Pulling his bulk up, he continued to grin, "It's the start of Pride and our six-month anniversary.”

"Oh, so it is."

"Yeah. And brunch is how you celebrate that."

"Is it now?" I swung my legs over the side of the bed and got up. "What time is the reservation?"

"It's for eleven."

"We have time to shower together then." I leered at him.

Grabbing my hand, Jake led me to the bathroom. He hugged me and whispered, "You're such a bad, bad boy. Now, let's get a move on."

 

Henry McKenzie, the manager at Barnaby’s led us to our table. “Would you gentlemen care for coffee?”

My lovely Bear said, “Yes, thanks and a carafe of orange juice?”

“Certainly. We have rainbow waffles today, by the way. I know you’re a waffle man.” Henry grinned. “It’s nice to see you here, Jake. Enjoy your meal.”

Jake smiled as we both said, thank you.

“Do you know him, Bear?”

“Yes, I went to school with Henry. He’s a nice guy. When I first came out, Henry was one of very few that treated me the same way.”

That tugged at my heart. “Did you have a hard time? Like with your family too?”

Jake stared down at his coffee. He added a teaspoon of sugar and stirred. After several minutes he returned my gaze. "Yeah. I did have a hard time with my mother and my friends. Dad. He saved me. He brought me into the real estate business, and then he left my mom and got custody of me."

My jaw dropped. I had no idea that Jake had suffered so much to be who he is.

My man added a second teaspoon of sugar to his coffee. Finally, he looked back at me. "The kids at school called me all the usual things. I expected that. It stopped when I went to college. But my mom … my mother, that was so much harder to take."

“Jake … we don’t need to talk about this, not today. Unless you want to.”

He shook his head no. "I don't want to spoil this for us, love." He was quiet for a moment, then looked at me and blinked. "We should go get some food."

As I started to rise, he grasped my forearm. “Wait … Promise me, Connor.”

“Promise what?”

“Promise you won’t leave me.”

I looked into his eyes. “I promise. Jake, I love you.”

He nodded and got to his feet. Holding my hand, he led me through the tables to the buffet. We chatted together as we waited in line.

“I don’t know how you have the nerve to bring that … here.” A voice came from behind Jake. “I’d heard the Davis place was bought by fags, didn’t know it was you.”

Jake stiffened and turned slowly. His grip on my hand tightened. "What is your problem, Bill?"

“You are, you fu—”

"That's enough, Billy." Henry appeared out of nowhere. Later I'd remember him as an angel from on high.

"You're welcome to eat here at Barnaby's. It's a family restaurant. There is no caveat on the word family."

The manager continued, “We are part of this community. And this community is made up of all creeds, colours, genders, sizes and shapes. You’re all welcome to eat, meet, share and enjoy. If you take issue with this, please feel free to take your custom elsewhere. That goes for anyone here.”

Billy glared at me, Jake and Henry, and then bashed and pushed his way past people and tables as he made his way out of the dining room.

Henry watched him go, and then he smiled. "Now, let's all eat and enjoy! And since it's the first weekend of Pride Month, we're offering ten percent off your bill!"

Pockets of applause had started and spread. I don’t think it was all for the discount either.

Jake's grip on my hand lessened somewhat, but I didn't let go.

Henry clapped a hand on each of our shoulders. "Now, you two. Eat. Relax and enjoy. Your food is on us today."

“Henry, this wasn’t your fault. You don’t need to do this.”

“No, I guess we don’t, Jake, but we’d just like to.” After a final smile, Henry left us.

 

I watched my big Bear eat the waffles he’d waited for. “Good?”

“Yeah. Good.”

Afterward, we sat enjoying our coffee when an older man stopped by our table.

“You two run that garden place out by 5th Line, right?”

Jake smiled. “We do.”

“Good. It’s needed. I don’t like to drive into Peterborough. So, you can count on my custom.” He stuck out his hand.

Jake shook it.

"You did good today. Life's too short to hate." He nodded and walked toward the door. "Good to meet you, boys."

We replied in kind.

And then Jake leaned over and kissed my cheek. "Come on, let's go home."

 

the end

Thanks to my editor and very dear friend @mollyhousemouse and to my friend @Wayne Gray for reading. Thanks to you who choose to read, like and /or comment. i hope Pride was enjoyable for you all.
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A lovely tale. Jake and Connor I would like to get and know.

Unfortunately there will always be the Bill type person in our world.

Thanks for writing tim x

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for this small gift. It brought me tears of both saddness and joy. It's good to see you put words to paper again little brother. Namasté.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

This is such a sweet story! 

I agree with all the previous comments. Maybe these two will show up again sometime? (Without Bill, he's a douche)

I wish you would've posted it on Renee's contest blog. Thanks for sharing it with us tim!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

i was pleasantly surprised to see these two guys again! i'm glad they're doing OK and the farm is getting noticed for what they offer.

and Henry is a new hero. we need more people to stand up like he did. now.... rainbow waffles 🌈...where is my waffle iron 🍴

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

That was a lovely wee tale.

Jake and Connor seem like the type of people I would like in my world. 

As for Bill? All I can think about is he and his kind must “live” in a sad and dark place to be the way they are. 

As always, nicely done, tim, nicely done. :) 

Thanks, Reader xo Glad you enjoyed seeing these two again.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A lovely tale. Jake and Connor I would like to get and know.

Unfortunately there will always be the Bill type person in our world.

Thanks for writing tim x

You're right of course, there will always be those people. But i hope there will be more Henry's and supportive ones. Thanks for reading and your comments. xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, dughlas said:

Thank you for this small gift. It brought me tears of both saddness and joy. It's good to see you put words to paper again little brother. Namasté.  

Thanks dugh.  Yesterday i wrote about 2600 words ... i've written a lot really. The issue is being able to finish anything. That is kind of sadder than not writing at all. But The Searcher, Changes and After the Past began life in the same way.  Opening chapters abandoned for years. Maybe one day these other things will get finished too.

Thanks for your support and thoughts. Those are treasures. xo

  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, kbois said:

This is such a sweet story! 

I agree with all the previous comments. Maybe these two will show up again sometime? (Without Bill, he's a douche)

I wish you would've posted it on Renee's contest blog. Thanks for sharing it with us tim!

They may show up again, as this is their second appearance already. Who knows where things will go. i couldn't post it for the contest. Until last night it was just so much crap to me. i saw no value in it. i like it more now.

We need Bill the douche, or we wouldn't have Henry the angel  xo

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i was pleasantly surprised to see these two guys again! i'm glad they're doing OK and the farm is getting noticed for what they offer.

and Henry is a new hero. we need more people to stand up like he did. now.... rainbow waffles 🌈...where is my waffle iron 🍴

 

We'll have to see if they show up again. Thanks for reading, molly and for your skills at making my work look polished.  i have to think that making rainbow waffles would be an almighty pain!  xoxo

  • Love 5
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

We'll have to see if they show up again. Thanks for reading, molly and for your skills at making my work look polished.  i have to think that making rainbow waffles would be an almighty pain!  xoxo

i'm always happy to read for you it's a wonderful experience and i've learned from it as well.💛 

if i were to make rainbow waffles, i might just use rainbow sprinkles. the only other alternative seems to be different colors of batter in piping bags and that would be an almighty pain. 🙄

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

We'll have to see if they show up again. Thanks for reading, molly and for your skills at making my work look polished.  i have to think that making rainbow waffles would be an almighty pain!  xoxo

Rainbow anything is a pain to do if you want the color uniform throughout. However..... if you want to 'cheat' you can always randomly drop some food coloring into your batter and swirl gently with a knife to create a random rainbow. (I've done this with cake batter before) 😁🌈

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was a very sweet story, in spite of the little dark spot. Sadly these dark spots are a part of real life. I loved the couple and their flirty dialogue, and of course Henry, the superhero disguised as a restaurant owner! And there are sometimes amazing moments like the one provided by the older gentleman at the end! My take on rainbow waffles: I tried a few times to make them with my granddaughter. It's hard to swirl in the food coloring enough to make it rainbow-ish, but not so much it makes a greenish brown. Better to go for one color. Kylie's favorites were pink and purple! Thanks, Tim! I enjoyed this. 💖

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

This was a very sweet story, in spite of the little dark spot. Sadly these dark spots are a part of real life. I loved the couple and their flirty dialogue, and of course Henry, the superhero disguised as a restaurant owner! And there are sometimes amazing moments like the one provided by the older gentleman at the end! My take on rainbow waffles: I tried a few times to make them with my granddaughter. It's hard to swirl in the food coloring enough to make it rainbow-ish, but not so much it makes a greenish brown. Better to go for one color. Kylie's favorites were pink and purple! Thanks, Tim! I enjoyed this. 💖

Thanks for reading and for sharing, Jeffrey. Rainbow-ish sounds good! Waffles of different colours would be great, but eating the full rainbow would be a lot, :).

I appreciate you letting me know you enjoyed this. xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I was happy to read the story.

I liked the sweet way Henry stepped up, and the way the guys are just living their lives.

Henry was nice to help, and that took courage. But it takes more to live our lives the way they're meant to be lived, even when it might not be easy.

Good story, tim. 🙂

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..