Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 1,684 Words
  • 730 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 30. An Unexpected Guest

Not a prompt really ... except from my waking brain one morning.

“Hi, Dad.”

“Abe, your mom and I would like you to come home for Christmas.”

“Aw, Dad, I don’t know. I’ll try.”

"I'll send you the airfare if it's money you're worried about."

There was a pause. "No, Dad, it's not money. It's time. Let me check with work, and I'll let you know, okay. Tell Mom I say hi. I love you both."

“Abe…please…”

“Sorry, I need to go. Love you.”

Faced now with only silence, Ron Merriweather looked at the phone in disbelief.

“What did he say, Ron?” Terri-Ann Merriweather gazed at her husband.

Ron inhaled deeply. “What he always says. No, he’s sorry. He’s too busy. He can’t get the time off.” Ron reached for his wife’s hand. “We didn’t raise him this way. Something is going on there. I’m going to find out what.”

“What are you going to do? Call him back?” Terri-Ann’s eyes brimmed with tears.

"No, honey. Abe can too easily avoid us over the phone. I'm going to see him."

“Shall I come?”

“No, sweetheart. You stay here and look after the cats and the house. Call Lori and see if she’d like to spend a few days with you. You two could use some catch-up time.”

“We could, that's true, but I’ll miss you.” Terri-Ann smiled at her man.

Ron moved closer to his wife and embraced her. “I’ll miss you as well, but I will be calling you. And I promise not to hang up.”

“I should hope not!”

 

A week later, Ron Merriweather caught an Air Canada flight direct from Vancouver International to Toronto Pearson International Airport.

He found his seat and settled into it. Fastening the seat belt loosely, Ron sipped from the complimentary bottle of water. He waited patiently while the other passengers stowed their carry-on luggage and sat down. Excitement gripped him as the plane began to move. Ron watched the stewardess give the safety instructions.

Ron tightened his seat belt as the engines propelled the machine down the tarmac and into the air. Once they were in the air, he loosened his safety belt and pushed his seat back slightly. I’ll try to sleep for part of the flight.

“Would you like a pillow, sir?” The pretty raven-haired stewardess leaned on the seat. “Blanket?”

Ron smiled at her. “Oh, thank you. Those would be great.”

“Of course.” She handed him a plastic bag containing a thin blanket and pillow. “Shall we wake you for lunch?”

Ron accepted the blanket. “Thank you. Yes, I’d appreciate that.”

“Not a problem.” She smiled at him again before moving on. I wish all passengers were so polite.

Ron napped until he awakened for lunch. It was served at the one-hour mark of the four-and-a-half-hour flight. After eating his salad and sandwich, Ron closed his eyes again until the captain said they were on the approach for Toronto.

Once on the ground, Ron grabbed his small bag from the overhead compartment. He waited as the other passengers moved toward the door. Ron thanked the crew and then disembarked. As he had no checked luggage, he made it quickly to the taxi ranks.

Ron climbed into the rear seat and gave the driver Abe’s address. The driver explained the flat rate for the trip across town to his passenger. Ron agreed to the figure.

“Good flight, sir?” The cabbie negotiated the web of roads, changing lanes to get onto the eastbound highway.

"It was uneventful, I guess, is the best way to put it."

The driver snickered. “I think that’s the best option when talking about flying.”

“That’s so true.” Ron looked out the windows as they moved into the fast lane.

“Are you in Toronto on business or pleasure?”

“I’m going to see my son. He moved nearly as far away from us as he could.”

The driver smiled. "Kids don't understand their parents until they are parents also."

“Ain’t that the truth.”

"Where are you travelling from?"

“Oh, Vancouver. Abe, my son, keeps making excuses about seeing us. So, I’ve come to see him to find out why.”

The driver made his way through the traffic in Abe’s neighbourhood. “Here we are; number twenty-six. I hope it’s nothing too serious with your lad.”

“Thank you.” Ron handed the man several bills. “Keep the change. Thank you for the good company.”

Twisting around, the driver smiled. "Thank you too."

Ron thanked the driver once again and got out of the cab. He stood for a moment, looking at the older detached home. The front garden was a postage stamp and contained a heady mix of lilies, foxgloves and other perennials.

Ron smiled. That’s beautiful and smart. Not sure how you’d cut that if it were grass. Turning away from the little oasis, he walked up the porch steps and then pressed the doorbell.

From inside, Abe opened the front door and stood stock-still. “Dad!” Abe stood staring in disbelief for a few moments. “What are you doing here?”

They were talking through the screen door.

"I'm here to see you since you refuse to have a decent conversation on the phone.” Ron raised an eyebrow and waved his right hand at the door. “Do you think I might be able to come in?”

“Um, sure.” Abe looked behind himself before opening the door.

“Don’t worry if the place is a mess, son. I was a young single man once upon a time.” Ron stepped over the threshold.

Abe smiled as his father passed him. “It’s not terrible.” He closed the door and leaned against it for a moment. Oh shit, why is he here?

Quickly following, Abe steered his father into the living room. “Take a seat, Dad. Would you like a cup of coffee or some tea?”

“Tea would be nice, thanks.” Ron sat on the sofa. He gazed at the art on the walls. Oh, he has a fireplace, that’s nice.

“Sure. Back in a second.” Abe walked into the kitchen he’d just finished tidying. What is he doing here?

Abe returned several minutes later with a tray laden with a teapot, mugs, milk, and a plate of biscuits. He sat next to his father and poured the tea. He handed a cup to his dad. They talked for several minutes about the house Abe was renting. Then there was a brief silence. Abe finally broke it by addressing the elephant in the room.

“So, this is a surprise, Dad.” Abe took a sip of his drink. “Is everything all right?”

“No, son, it isn’t.” Ron put the mug down. “I’ve had enough of you putting us off about us visiting, or you visiting. No one can be that busy all the time. Are you angry at us? Have we done something wrong?”

Abe turned to stare at his father. “No, Dad. You and Mom are great.”

“Then tell me what it is.” Ron reached out and grasped Abe’s forearm. "Your mom and I are worried, and we miss you, Abe."

There was a creak from the upper floor. Ron looked up. “Is someone here?”

Abe swallowed. “Um, that’s um, Jesse.”

“Your girlfriend? Son, that's great. Bring her down. I'd love to meet her." Ron smiled broadly. "Don't worry, I'm not your mom, so I won't have you married off with ten children in the first ten minutes.”

“Ah, Dad. The thing is…”

Footsteps thudded on the stairs. A tall, young man walked into the living room. His brunette hair was tied in a loose ponytail. He wore sweat pants and a t-shirt. He smiled. “Hi.”

“Hello.” Ron smiled at the man and then looked at his son. “Do you rent out rooms?”

Abe licked his lips. “No, Dad. Um, this is Jesse.”

Ron had gotten to his feet and offered his hand to Jesse. “This is?”

“Yes.”

“You share the house, like roommates?”

Jesse stared hard at Abe. “Tell him the truth.”

“Truth? Abe?” Ron looked from Jesse to his son. “I don’t understand.”

“Well, Dad… “

"Damn it, Abe, if you don't tell your father the truth, then I will!" Jesse crossed his arms and frowned. “It’s time.”

Abe appeared miserable as he ran his hands through his hair. Tears filled his eyes. “Dad …”

Ron looked at his son and sat beside him. "Son, just tell me. Whatever it is.”

“Jesse…I…we.” Abe frowned. “Dad, I'm, I'm Gay."

The room was silent then.

“Gay? You are?” Ron blinked. He took a deep breath. “Thank God.”

Jessie sat on the other side of Abe. He leaned gently against his boyfriend.

“Thank God?” Abe twisted around to scrutinize his father. “Thank God? What do you mean, Dad?”

“Oh, son.” Ron regarded his boy. “I was worried you were going to give me some bad news of some kind.”

Jesse’s eyes widened, and he smiled.

“So, Jesse is your boyfriend?”

Jesse leaned forward and grinned. “We’re engaged. I asked him last night.”

Ron returned the smile. “Is that right? Congratulations.” He put an arm around his son.

“You’re not sad or disappointed, Dad?”

“No. Not at all. We only want you to be happy, Abe. I feel rather sad that you didn’t feel you could tell us about Jesse.” Ron squeezed his boy’s shoulders. “But I know now. Now we can all move forward. Maybe you both will join us for Christmas.”

“Actually, Mr. Merriweather, I was thinking, maybe you and Mrs. Merriweather can join us here. We’re planning to get married early in the New Year,” Jessie explained.

“Call me Ron, please.” Ron smiled. “Well, I’m pretty sure I can speak for my wife and say we’d love to spend that time with you and Abe. I’d like to get to know my son-in-law.”

“Really, Dad?”

"Yes. Now, I should call your mom and tell her I'm here safely," Ron said happily. He looked at the two young men. "Even though you're Gay, you will still have to answer questions about when there will be grandchildren. Don't say you haven't been warned."

Jesse took Abe’s hand, and they both smiled. “I think we can handle that.”

The end

Thanks to @mollyhousemouse and @Wayne Gray for their editing and reading skills. Thanks to all of you who choose to read, like and comment. It's much appreciated.
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i really enjoyed reading this one. it did cause me to tear up just a bit.

there is so much depth here, in so few words, that takes such skill.

i'm glad you pay attention to these things that pop i to your head when you wake up xo

Thanks molly.  i'm glad you enjoyed this little story. Thanks for your help, you help make them better. xo❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A beautiful story. So much power and depth in a few words. Beautifully written, thanks tim.

Thanks for reading, chris.  i'm glad you enjoyed this little tale.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

oh man.. that scared me... i thought, 'oh no!' what did i mess up?

my thoughts exactly tim!

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Just now, MichaelS36 said:

Great story. It made me smile. 

Thank You, Michael. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

What a great story! Ron and Abe both had fears that have colored their relationship for too long. Good for Ron to jump on a plane and surprise Abe. Jesse must have been a ray of sunshine for them both.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

What a great story! Ron and Abe both had fears that have colored their relationship for too long. Good for Ron to jump on a plane and surprise Abe. Jesse must have been a ray of sunshine for them both.

Thanks Parker.  i enjoyed this one. i think that's what i'd do if i had a kid who was being odd... just go there. i'm pleased you enjoyed this. Thanks again.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Loved this, tim. It's a wonderful story that made me smile. It flows well and practically plays in the mind like a Pixar short movie. Hugz to you, my friend.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 7/6/2021 at 7:20 PM, WolfM said:

Loved this, tim. It's a wonderful story that made me smile. It flows well and practically plays in the mind like a Pixar short movie. Hugz to you, my friend.

Thank You Wolfie. That's interesting, a Pixar film. :)  i'm happy it made You smile.  And hugz right back!  :)  Thanks very much for your comments. xo

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..