Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 1,980 Words
  • 2,792 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 23. Beans and Boards

Prompt 714

Arthur Goderich Rowbottom, better known as Art-the-Fartbottom to his so-called friends, stood outside his shop. The keys were in his hands. However, before unlocking for the start of his business day, he turned and watched the sun change the sky pink and gold.

“Gorgeous!” the young man mused.

His attention was pulled from nature’s beauty by the squawking of a seagull. It landed on one of the city’s silver garbage cans. Brazenly, the creature dropped into the open container.

“Rats-with-wings!” Arthur thought. “But they are part of the seafront.”

More squawking erupted as the bird jumped back onto the side of garbage can; it had tossed out a piece of crumpled newspaper and dove back in for a partially consumed bagel. The latter it dropped to the sidewalk and followed swiftly after.

“Bloody things … shoo!” Arthur waved his arms at the creature. It flew off with its prize.

Arthur picked up the newspaper. “Hmmm, what’s this say?” He opened it the best he could and read the headline.

Mass Murderer Escaped as Police Bungle Transport

“Wow ….” Arthur continued to read as he walked back to the shop door. “Right, I better get a move on. Store won’t open itself.”

Once inside he folded the paper and pushed it under the counter.

Behind him were counter-to-ceiling jars filled with candy of all description. Beside this were several rows of coffee beans and six empty coffee makers. He looked at the numerous varieties and blends available and selected six flavours for that day.

To the left of the coffee stood a chiller which held all types of cold drinks, including juices and soda varieties from all over the world. On the bottom shelf was fresh milk and cream.

On the wall opposite from the counter were over 300 board games. They were numbered and in alphabetical order.

As Arthur started the coffee, there was a knock at the back door. The shop owner skipped around the counter and went through to the back kitchen. He unlocked the door and pushed it open.

“Good morning, Chuck.”

“Morning, Mr. Rowbottom. Here’s your selection. Does it look okay? I picked several kinds of treats for you today.”

Arthur looked at the pastries in the large plastic stackable tray. “Oh, my, yes. Chuck, these look terrific. I see you remembered the cream horns and Napoleons. Those sell so quickly.”

Chuck grinned. “Maybe you need to order a few more. By the way, this one, is for you.” The delivery man pointed to a white sandwich bag. “On the house. I remember you saying you like cinnamon rolls.”

Arthur’s eyes widened. He smiled and said, “Wow, Chuck, that’s so nice. Listen, come on in. I’ve got coffee brewing … we can split the cinnamon roll.”

“Oh, I’d love to Mr. R. However, duty calls. So much pastry and so little time! I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Nodding, Arthur felt a little disappointment. “Okay. Another time maybe. Thank you. See you tomorrow.”

Chuck grinned and waved. “Yep. Good deal. Have a good one!”

With a great sigh, Arthur pushed the door closed with his hip. He carried the tray of pastry to the stainless-steel workbench and put it down. Moving to the dish washer, he pulled a couple of clean trays from it and put them down.

Donning plastic gloves, he carefully moved the pastry to trays that could slide into the small refrigerated display out front. Each pastry sat on a small square of paper; so they wouldn’t stick to the plain metal tray.

“They may be nerds, my customers, but they are nerds with good taste and high expectations,” he thought.

Once both trays were full, he carried each out to the front carefully. “Dropping them that one time was quite enough.”

The pot of regular brew was nearly done. After returning with the second tray of goodies, he poured himself a cup and took it into the kitchen. He sat at the little desk he had there. Carefully, he pulled the fresh, still-warm pastry from bag. He lifted it and took a bite.

“Oh, my, that is so good.” He chewed and sipped the coffee. “Perfect … only more perfect if Chuck had stayed to share it.”

After his quick breakfast break, Arthur unlocked his desk drawer and pulled out the cash register’s cash insert. He counted out the float and separated the denominations into the correct slots.

Leaving the insert for the time being, he returned to the front. He wiped down the tables and the counters, even though he’d done so the night before.

“Time to open the blinds and let some of the sun in.” He was moving toward the blinds when he heard a noise from the kitchen. It stopped him. Slowly, he turned sensing … something. He hoped it was Chuck.

“Don’t move, please.” The voice was male, and soft — it didn’t belong to the kind deliveryman.

Arthur stopped. “O ... okay. There’s not much here. I mean … we’re not open yet.”

“Just step away from the door and come back here.”

“Sure.” Arthur backed up slowly. He groped behind him to avoid the table he knew was there. His heart pounded.

“Turn around and get into the back.”

“Sure.” Arthur turned and moved briskly to the rear of the shop. He didn’t look up. He didn’t want to see the man’s face. He stood next to the work bench.

“Sit at your desk.”

“Yep. Okay.” Arthur quickly did as he was told. “Please … look, there’s only the float. Please don’t kill me.”

The man chuckled. “I’ve no plans to kill anyone today. You left your back door open. I locked it for you. Don’t do anything dumb. Do as you’re told and I’ll leave in a couple of hours.”

“Okay. But I always open on time … if I don’t then my customers—”

“Shut up!”

Arthur jumped at the raised voice. “Sorry … I’m sorry.”

The man sucked in a breath. When he spoke again, his voice was quiet. “You have food here?”

Swallowing was difficult; his mouth was so dry. Arthur choked out, “Yes … pastries. Coffee, soda.”

“I’ll take a couple of your pastries and some black coffee.”

“They are all out front.”

“Fine … just move slowly. Get the tray and the pot of coffee. Clear?”

“Yes. I’m getting up now.”

Again, there was a chuckle. “I don’t need a play-by-play. I can see. No sudden movements and only as far as you need to go. Clear?”

“Yes.” Arthur did as he was told, he moved slowly, returned bringing the tray and coffee, and depositing them on the workbench. He didn’t look up. He saw only a pair of black military-type boots and blue jeans.

“Get me a cup.”

“Right.” Arthur pulled one from the dishwasher. “Here. I’ll pour.”

“Good. Thanks. Sit.”

Arthur did as he was told. He could hear the steel stool being moved and what he guessed was the man sitting on it. There were small noises, like the paper being removed from the pastry, and then chewing, drinking, and swallowing.

“That was nice. You buy these locally?”

The oddness of the question wasn’t unnoticed by Arthur. “Yes, I do.”

“You can tell. Made with some skill, I’d say.”

“Yes.”

Paper was pulled off a second pastry. “This is a coffee shop. Your store?”

Arthur nodded as he stared at the wall in front of him. “Yes. Beans and Boards.”

“Cute. Hard to believe you make enough money doing this.”

“It’s usually tight, but I get by. I’m not rich.”

The coffee pot scraped across the work top. “No, I’m sure you’re not. Didn’t see a Porsche out back.”

“I don’t have a car.”

There was laughter. “Just my luck. Oh, well.”

From the front of the store there were muffled voices. Someone knocked on the glass door. “Artie? You gonna open up, man?”

Arthur looked up.

“Don’t move. They’ll go away,” the man said.

“Right, okay.”

“Artie? You don’t look like an Artie.”

“My name is Arthur.”

“Well, Arthur suits you.”

More talking filtered through from the shop door. “He’s never late.”

“Well, he is today. Come on. We’ll come back in an hour.”

“Okay. Jeez, Jase, why are you carrying that purple umbrella?”

“Rain they said for later, idiot. Come on let’s get a Starbucks and then we’ll come back.”

“K.”

“So,” the man said. “We have about an hour together.”

Arthur nodded. “Yes.”

“You married, Arthur?”

“No … I don’t know your name.”

His captor laughed. “Are you sure you want to?”

Arthur swallowed. “If I do, will you kill me?”

“It’s Jack. I told you I’ve no plans to kill today.”

Arthur was quiet for a moment. “Today? Does that mean you have killed?”

Jack chuckled. “Do you always walk on the knife’s edge?”

“Huh?”

“I mean, do you always ask so many questions of strangers that have taken you hostage?”

“Is that what I am? Your hostage?” Arthur heard Jack laugh. “Are you the guy from the papers?”

“So many questions, Artie. If I am the guy from the paper … what will you do?”

“It said he was an escaped mass murderer. You don’t sound like one.”

Jack laughed again. “What does one sound like? Have you known many?”

“Fine, okay. Just more questions.” Arthur looked at his fingers and his watch. The hour was nearly up. His regulars would be back and wondering where he was. Behind him, he heard Jack moving. Drawers opened. Then the metal storage cupboard.

“Ah … this will do.” The metal doors closed. “Arthur, today is your lucky day.”

“How’s that?”

Arthur jumped when he felt Jack’s hands on his shoulders. “Shit!”

“Easy, Artie.”

“What … what are you going to do with me?”

“For the moment, tie you up.” Jack knotted the rope and slipped it over Arthur’s right wrist. He pulled it snug. “If you had a car, I’d take you with me.”

Arthur watched Jack wrap the rope over his other arm. “You would?”

“Yeah, I would. But no car means you need to stay here. And because you haven’t looked at me … today is your lucky day.” Jack tied Arthur’s legs to the centre post of the chair. “I need time to get away before you call the cops.”

“I wouldn’t. You’ve done nothing to me.”

“You would, but that’s okay. So would I.” Jack pulled on his coat. With a hand on Arthur’s shoulder, he reached forward and plucked a twenty from the cash float. “Sorry, but I’m broke.”

“It’s fine.”

“Arthur, you’ve been great.” Jack bent down and whispered in his captive’s ear. The kidnapper’s lips moved against his prisoner’s cheek. “Oh, there’s something else …”

Arthur gasped, but Jack slipped a hand over his mouth. “Shhhh. You wait five minutes before you start to yell.”

Nodding, the tied man whispered, “Okay.”

Arthur heard the lock snick. “Take care, Arthur.” He heard the door open and then close. He was alone.

 

 _____

“It’s still closed.” Preston pressed his face against the glass. “I can see a tray of pastry and the coffee machine looks on.” Stepping back, he turned to Jason. “Something’s wrong.”

“Shut-up, Pres. You hear that?”

“Yelling. Let’s go around the back.”

The pair walked up the block and around. They peered down the alley.

“I don’t see anything,” Preston said.

“Let’s go.”

Jason was the first to push the door open. “Oh, hell.” He turned to Preston. “Call the cops.”

 

 _____

Arthur sat with Detective Gage. “I never looked at him. He said because I hadn’t it was my lucky day. He said his name was Jack. He wasn’t violent or anything.”

Gage made notes, even though the conversation was recorded. “I see. Anything else?”

“Yes, he said you were sloppy. Said there were two more at Paulson’s Pond.”

 

 

The End

Prompt 714 – Creative
Tag – List of words
Use the following words in a story – a purple umbrella, a bagel, a crumpled newspaper, a seagull, and a garbage can.


Thanks to @AC Benus, for editing this little prompt. Mucho thanks too, to @mollyhousemouse and @BHopper2 for their reading and enthusiasm!

And always, thanks to you who choose to read what my brain thinks up. I do truly appreciate it!
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Arthur was smart not to look at Jack’s face. In all the retail jobs I had the back doors automatically locked. Retailers are always paranoid about theft and security. But people tend to be less security-conscious in small towns.  ;–)

 

I think people should get huge fines for feeding seagulls, Canadian Geese, and pigeons! Idiots who feed these birds should be forced to clean up their droppings! They should be shamed for their bad behavior.  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

this was so much fun to read, tim!

Arthur seems a very meticulous man, (the games numbered and alphabetized, lol!) so it's no wonder he was concerned what his regular customers would think when he wasn't open on time!

and the ending? so perfect! Jack thumbing his nose at the cops!

 

thanks again for asking me to be a part of the magic!

xoxo

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

This was a very fun read, and tim did an excellent job in incorporating the word list. I like how Jack was honest, for a serial killer, to Artie.

thanks A .. appreciate you reading it .. again!!  this one was fun

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

this was so much fun to read, tim!

Arthur seems a very meticulous man, (the games numbered and alphabetized, lol!) so it's no wonder he was concerned what his regular customers would think when he wasn't open on time!

and the ending? so perfect! Jack thumbing his nose at the cops!

 

thanks again for asking me to be a part of the magic!

xoxo

thanks molly .. i appreciate you reading all this stuff i send you ... i'm glad you enjoyed it .. i do wonder about Jack ... he seems nice but mind you so did Ted Bundy.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

I have to pause because this stopped me in my tracks

 

 

No word of a lie, I saw a picture of these within the last week. I couldn’t recall what they were called, but serendipitously, now I can.  Thanks, tim! :D

 

Okay, now that my need to share has been satisfied, I need to finish the story....

i would love a napoleon right now ... 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Loved this! The ending made me laugh. I like Jack. :P 

thanks Thorn .. i'm glad you enjoyed it ... there have been 'nice' serial killers .. Ted Bundy,  H H Holmes, Jeffrey Dahmer  to name a few...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, AC Benus said:

I like the way you foreshadowed the appearance of Jack. It seems highly creative and original to me to have a seagull do it (by tearing up a bit of newspaper). Color me impressed :yes:

 

As always, very nicely done

 

:blushing:  thanks very much AC .. and thanks for your vision and all of your help. It means a lot to me. xoxo

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

And, I’m back!

 

Great little story tim. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :) 

 

PS: Beans and Boards - great name for Artie’s shop. 

 

Thanks very much Reader!!  I'm glad you enjoyed it .. shame i couldn't serve it with a selection of pastries.. :D    Glad you like the name too.. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

You're a clever, bad boy. Rawbottom? Cream-filled horns? tim, tim, tim... What am I to do with you?

Good little short, buddy.

hehe thank you C ... lol.. Rowbottom .. Row.. not raw. Be fun to write something like that full of innuendo. Thanks again for reading this one.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Awesome story, tim. I wondered over and over if this was a prank or misdirection, or if Jack really was the murderer. I was kept guessing time and again, even as I enjoyed every line. And, of course, I loved the names you chose. Thank you! 

i am very glad it worked for you Parker.  it was fun to write.  thanks for your comments xo

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

This good tim. You're right about serial killers they hide in plain sight. And most you'd take home to your gran for Sunday lunch.  Nice job!! 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, MichaelS36 said:

This good tim. You're right about serial killers they hide in plain sight. And most you'd take home to your gran for Sunday lunch.  Nice job!! 

thanks Michael ... yes i felt a bit weird about him being  likeable but that's how they get close.. butter wouldnt melt as they say.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..