Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 2,259 Words
  • 2,702 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 3. O. Henry Short Story Prompt 1 – The Green Door

O. Henry Short Story Prompt 1 – The Green Door

 

Rudolf Steiner lifted the last forkful of Black Forest cake into his mouth, chewed briefly, and washed it down with a mouthful of black coffee. Elbows on the table, he held the now empty-cup by the fingertips of both hands. As he sat, Rudolf looked wistfully across the table at the empty seat. He wondered if that seat would ever be filled—he was so alone.

The waiter interrupted his reverie when he placed the check on the table. After leaving cash plus a ten percent tip, Rudolf slipped on his jacket and left the Black Kettle restaurant.

As he walked home down Jackson Street, Rudolf thought about his life. ‘Rudi, you need something to happen, there is no excitement, no adventure. God, I wish something—anything—would just happen to me. No, I lie, I want something romantic to happen to me.’

This thought had no sooner entered his head when he noticed a crowd up the street. In the centre of it, heads above most of the people was a black man. As he drew closer, Rudolf saw the people from the crowd walking away looking at a card. Many cards ended up screwed up and on the ground, discarded.

‘What a waste,’ Rudolf thought as he stared down at them.

Nearing the tall man, Rudolf found himself veering into an intersecting path rather than the usual one of avoidance. When close he looked up into the green eyes of the striking African American, who extended his hand holding a slightly-larger-than-business-sized card. “Take one, brother?”

And to his surprise, Rudolf did.

It looked the same as the other cards he’d been able to see on the ground—but this one he felt had been meant for him, Rudolf Steiner. He stood on the street, oblivious to the crowds streaming past him, and looked at the card. There was no address or telephone number, just three words printed in green: The Green Door.

With no address, Rudolf figured that he’d try the building the giant man had been standing in front of. Had been.

Where was everyone? Seconds ago there had been crowds and the tall man, now there was only him.

It was like that thought had never happened, as Rudolf opened the perfectly normal door, and entered the building. He searched up to the 4th floor and found no green doors. Tired now, he looked upward and saw what looked like a green door on the 5th floor. With renewed vigor he climbed the stairs and found it.

Now in front of the lime green door, Rudolf was in a quandary. ‘Should I knock or just go in?’ He decided on a combination of the two. Rudolf knocked and turned the doorknob at the same time, calling, “Hello?”

Rudolf peered inside—it was pitch black and silent. He called again, “Heelloo.”

He stepped inside, still holding the door knob, unwilling to let it go, with his left hand he groped the wall for a light switch; there was none.

‘Oh, this is stupid. I may as well go then.’

“What happened to, ‘Rudi, you need something to happen, there is no excitement, no adventure. God, I wish something—anything—would just happen to me. No, I lie, I want something romantic to happen to me.’ Hmmm?”

The door clicked shut with a snik, as Rudolf released it in surprise. “Wh … who said that?”

A light from the ceiling appeared. It was a pinprick, slowly increasing in brightness and area until it revealed a large green leather-bound armchair. It was empty.

Light crept its way throughout the room, but the corners were dim and Rudolf didn’t want to go closer. Instead he walked to the green chair and sat in it.

“OUCH, you oaf, get off me!”

Rudolf jumped up, spun around and looked at the seemingly empty chair. “What? Who?”

“Are you blind?”

“No, but the chair is empty.”

“Obviously it’s not because I’m talking to you.”

Rudolf considered that. He walked around the chair and then made to pick it up to turn it over.

“MORON! What are you doing? Trying to knock me onto the floor? Were you raised with wolves?”

“N … no. I … well where are you? What are you?”

“You summoned me, Rudolf Steiner.”

“I? How?”

“Oh, do I really have to repeat myself? Fine—‘Rudi, you need something to happen, there is no excitement, no adventure. God, I wish something—anything—would just happen to me. No, I lie, I want something romantic to happen to me.’—Do you remember now?”

By this time Rudolf Steiner was becoming more than a little nervous, and he was feeling around the room’s walls for the door. It seemed to be missing.

“Oh, Rudi! What are you looking for?”

“The door. I want to go home.”

Laughter filled the room, it grew louder and more maniacal until Rudolf covered his ears and fell to his knees. Tears dripped off his cheeks. “STOP IT!”

The room was immediately silent. The only man in the room wiped his eyes and sucked in a deep breath. “Why are you doing this? Who are you?”

“You said you wanted adventure. Well, you’re having one, aren’t you?”

Steiner got to his feet. “This isn’t what I meant. I want to meet a nice man, fall in love, get married, like other people do.”

“Oh, I see. Well then, you’ve had some adventures, haven’t you?”

Suddenly the door opened and the chair disappeared. Rudolf stood in the dark room and looked around.

“Time to go then, Rudolf Steiner.”

Rudolf stepped out of the room, into the hall, and the door hit him on the ass when it closed.

 

***

Rudolf Steiner went back to his life, eating nightly at the Black Kettle, doing his mundane job in the paper factory, avoiding parties or anything where he might actually meet someone.

After yet another dull day, Steiner arrived back at his apartment. He opened the door, hung up his coat and walked down the hall to the living room. As he reached the halfway mark he looked down and noticed the carpet was wet. To his left was the bathroom, he opened it and saw water dripping from the now-ruined ceiling.

"That’s all I need!” Rudolf put some towels on the floor to soak up the water. He’d just finished wringing out the towels and putting them back when there was a knock on the door. “Great.”

Grumbling to himself in frustration, Rudolf opened the door. “What?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I know I must be interrupting … um, because of the leak.”

Rudolf eyed the stranger at the door. He was tall, well-built and the most handsome man Steiner had ever seen.

“It’s from my place. See, I’m above you, and well, seems a pipe burst or failed and it’s made a huge mess. I’m Jackson … Jack if you rather.” The man put out his hand.

After a moment’s hesitation, Rudolf took the offered hand, and shook it. “Rudolf Steiner.”

“Um, Rudolf, is that okay if I call you that? Okay, thanks. Well listen, I came down to help if you need some. I see you have a carpet in the hall, I can help you take that up.”

Rudolf turned to look at the carpet. It would be a bitch of a job so he agreed, and let Jackson come in. With the two of them working, they got the mess cleaned up, the carpet rolled and ready to send for cleaning.

It was very late when they sat down for a cup of tea in the small kitchen. They talked like old friends, exchanging details of their lives and desires. Rudolf walked Jackson down the hall to the stairs and was surprised when his neighbor’s lips softly grazed his as they said goodnight.

Jackson blushed. “Oh, Rudi, I hope that was okay. I mean I just feel so close to you.”

“It’s fine … um, nice I mean. I liked it, Jack.”

“Can I see you again, Rudi? I’d really love to see you again.”

Rudi smiled and nodded. “I’d like that too.”

“I’ll call you soon, tomorrow, okay?” Jack awkwardly hugged Rudi, who could not stop grinning.

As Jackson walked away, Rudi called after him, “Do you know the Black Kettle restaurant?”

“Yes.”

“Meet me for dinner tomorrow? I’m there by 6:00 pm.”

Jackson smiled brightly. “I’ll be there, Rudi. I can’t wait.”

 

Rudolf sat at his table, waiting. He was excited—his first dinner date. The first time with a partner who would soon be sitting across from him. The excitement was such that he decided to order a different meal. Maybe he’d just order the special without knowing what it was! No, now, no, that would be a little bit too over-the-top.

It was 6:30 pm and Rudolf was worried about where Jackson could be. As the clock ticked closer to 7:00 pm, his worry for Jackson’s well-being turned slowly to anger mixed with fear. At 7:30 pm, Rudolf gave up, put on his coat and started toward the entrance. As he pulled open the door, he met Jackson who was on his way in.

“Oh, Rudi, I’m so sorry I’m late.”

Rudolf simply stood staring, lips sealed in anger. Then he pushed his way past Jack, and walked swiftly up the street. He could hear Jackson’s footsteps behind him.

“Rudi!” The footsteps quickened and then sped up to a run. “Rudolf!”

Stopping when Jackson pulled on his sleeve, Steiner shook off his friend’s hand, and crossed his arms. They stood on the sidewalk, staring and angry.

“Jack, how could you just leave me sitting there? I felt like a fool! Just another sad lonely gay man—stood up by his date!”

Jackson hung his head, then raised it and looked into Rudi’s eyes and said, “There was a massive accident and we had to stay and help out in emergency.”

“Oh.”

“Please, let’s go back and eat. Please.”

Not being able to think of a reason Jackson would make up such a thing, Rudi nodded. Jackson smiled broadly, took Rudi’s hand and they walked back to the restaurant.

Jack looked sad as he shucked his coat and hung it, along with Rudi’s, up behind him on the coat rack.

“Rudi, I am sorry. I wouldn’t leave you alone for the world.”

The pain in Rudi’s eyes touched Jackson. He got up and went around to his new who-he-hoped-was-his-boyfriend’s seat and knelt beside him. He took Rudi’s hand and whispered, “I love you. I’d never leave you sitting alone, not if there was any way ….”

Rudolf looked into Jack’s dark eyes and saw only love and truth there. “I was so worried.”

“I know, baby. I’m sorry. Forgive me?”

Nodding, Rudolf let Jack kiss him.

After things calmed down, Jack ordered dinner for himself and a bottle of wine for them to share. They toasted each other and their new relationship and Rudi, marveled at the man sitting across from him.

 

And the season changed and love blossomed. Finally Rudi asked Jackson to spend the night. They made love for the first time, and they promised to stay together.

 

Several months later, Rudi asked Jackson to move in. They were so in love, and Rudolf changed—he was happy and complete for the first time in his life. He loved that they were just a normal couple with jobs and friends and family.

When moving day came, Jack brought down boxes and clothes and a few bits of furniture. Rudi made space and chucked out some junk to make room for his partner’s things.

After they hung one of Jack’s paintings in the living room, Jack kissed Rudi and said, “Oh, I’m so happy, Rudi. There’s one thing left for me to bring down. I’ll just go and get it.”

“Okay, babe.”

Several minutes later, Rudi heard the front door open and the sound of something being pushed along the hall. Jack’s face appeared in the living room door.

“Okay we’re here.” Jack pushed the large piece in; it was covered in moving pads.

“Just give me one sec … I’ll have it set up.”

When Rudi turned around, it sat there. He couldn’t believe it. He looked at Jack with disbelief and horror. “Where … how? Where did you get it?”

Jack smiled, unsure of what was wrong. “It’s mine, Rudi. I’ve had it forever.”

“It’s from there … the Green Door.”

The green leather-bound chair sat in silence.

Jack cocked his head and smiled. “But you wanted adventure, Rudi, and a love of your own. You got your wish.”

“But you’re not real.”

“Of course I’m real. I’m as real as the chair.”

 

Over their years together, Rudi and Jack were very happy. The chair waited, and it was silent. And Jackson remained until he buried his loving partner, who had passed away of old age. Once Rudolf Steiner was buried in St. Mary’s churchyard, Jackson and his chair disappeared. Friends thought he’d been overcome with grief.

***

Freddy Boynton, wished for love. On his way home this Tuesday evening, he saw a tall black man on the street, in the crowd, and accepted one the cards the man had been handing out. He entered the building that the green eyed giant had been in front of, and found the Green Door on the second floor. Freddy knocked and slowly opened the door ….

 
Thanks to AC Benus for this great prompt and for his editorial skills.
Thanks to you who read, like and review my work! Thank you all!
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Moderator

Hey tim
What a terrific tale! I enjoyed it very much.
As always, nicely done. :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I like that you chose to tell the story right from the beginning. Naturally, leaning about receiving the card and looking for the door can be explored as a memory for Steiner, but I like your approach too.

 

This is a romantic tale, and sometimes love can come at us outta the blue. What seems to matter is not 'if' it does, but how receptive we are to embracing it.

 

I loved that aspect of your story. Well done!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed this, tim. It was a nice little twist with the chair. I like to see you branching out with each piece you write... kudos... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/28/2016 03:41 AM, AC Benus said:

I like that you chose to tell the story right from the beginning. Naturally, leaning about receiving the card and looking for the door can be explored as a memory for Steiner, but I like your approach too.

 

This is a romantic tale, and sometimes love can come at us outta the blue. What seems to matter is not 'if' it does, but how receptive we are to embracing it.

 

I loved that aspect of your story. Well done!

Thanks AC. I enjoyed this prompt and think it's a great idea. Its great to see all the differences in the responses. I think you need a certain amount of courage to be in a relationshipe and I'm glad Rudi got what he wanted.

 

tim

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/28/2016 05:28 AM, Headstall said:

I enjoyed this, tim. It was a nice little twist with the chair. I like to see you branching out with each piece you write... kudos... Gary....

Hey Gary .. thanks. Glad you liked the chair thing. I like to try new things usually but I like to make sure i know what i'm saying is right. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

 

tim xo

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/28/2016 01:42 AM, Reader1810 said:

Hey tim

What a terrific tale! I enjoyed it very much.

As always, nicely done. :)

Thanks Reader, this was different and a lot of fun to write...

 

tim xo

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/28/2016 12:35 AM, Valkyrie said:

I really enjoyed this. Nice take on the prompt. :)

Thanks Val! I thought this was a lot of fun!! Thanks for reading it!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/27/2016 10:14 PM, dughlas said:

Oh this is quirky, I like it.

Oh thanks dugh!! I like quirky .. i was worried it would just be weird, but quirky is cool!

 

Thanks for reading this.. i really appreciate that and your comments.

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Quirky, vaguely creepy, definitely unsettling. Did Rudi get what he wanted? Or was there something out there that got Rudi? Perfectly written to leave us questioning...loved it!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I see what you mean about being similar yet different..
This was pretty cool.. The chair was a little freaky but it worked.. I absolutely love the idea that Jackson and the chair will go on to give someone else love and adventure..

 

As always, great work tim!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/28/2016 11:12 PM, Parker Owens said:

Quirky, vaguely creepy, definitely unsettling. Did Rudi get what he wanted? Or was there something out there that got Rudi? Perfectly written to leave us questioning...loved it!

Thanks Parker... glad it worked.. I wasnt too sure, cuz its not always what i write about.. Good question about who was getting whom. It's a fun challenge.

 

thanks again

 

tim xo

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/29/2016 07:02 AM, Defiance19 said:

I see what you mean about being similar yet different..

This was pretty cool.. The chair was a little freaky but it worked.. I absolutely love the idea that Jackson and the chair will go on to give someone else love and adventure..

 

As always, great work tim!

Thanks Def.I've enjoyed seeing all the similarities and differences in each response. Very cool indeed. I'm glad you took part!! Thanks for reading this version!!

 

tim xo

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/23/2016 01:29 AM, Arazon said:

This one captivated me real quick! An interesting tale which evoked compassion for Rudolph before intriguing me with mystery then wrapping me with love! Rudi’s excitement as he contemplated ordering the special gave a great feel for his character and made me laugh! Most of all I loved the mystic ending, it was awesome! Excellent read, thank you.

Thanks. I enjoyed this one it was fun to write. Several people took on AC Benus' O Henry Prompt and its funny how similar and yet different our stories turned out. It was interesting. Thanks again for reading.. I sincerely appreciate it.

 

tim

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I think Jack must have trusted Rudi and loved him, since he showed him the chair. He could have hidden it in storage. I'm glad Rudi took a chance (several ones) and had a wonderful life with his lover.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 4/22/2017 at 3:18 AM, Timothy M. said:

I think Jack must have trusted Rudi and loved him, since he showed him the chair. He could have hidden it in storage. I'm glad Rudi took a chance (several ones) and had a wonderful life with his lover.

Thanks Tim.. sorry i missed this.

15 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Where can I find a Green Door?

Fantastic prompt story tim.

Thanks A. If AC does another prompt you must try it.. they are a lot of fun.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Different and humorously romantic, loved the phrase 'the door hit him on the ass when it closed', something I warn unwelcome visitors about, lol. It definitely put a smile on my face.

Edited by cognac69
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, cognac69 said:

Different and humorously romantic, loved the phrase 'the door hit him on the ass when it closed', something I warn unwelcome visitors about, lol. It definitely put a smile on my face.

Thank you... i'm glad you enjoyed it. The O Henry prompts were a lot of fun to write.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I noticed the pattern of Black Forest Cake, Black Kettle Restaurant, Tall Black Man, and Black Mood. Now I’m wondering how often authors include little bits like that the I don’t notice!  ;–)

 

And then there were the Green Eyes, the Green Door, and the Green Chair.  ;–)

 

 

I’m surprised no one else mentioned them – or was that part of the Prompt?

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..