Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 1,666 Words
  • 3,172 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 2. The Last Waltz - Prompt 481

Tag – The Dance Prompt 481
You bought a ticket from the local fire department for a fund raiser. One of the prizes was dance lessons from the local dance class. You find yourself in class paired with the stunning teacher. What happens at your dance lessons?

The Last Waltz

 

“Hello, sir? Excuse me!”

I’d started to walk faster toward the store entrance, but it seems there was no escaping him. Plus to be honest he was very cute so I stopped, and turned to face him. He walked toward me, dressed in a gray form fitting t-shirt that left nothing to the imagination, and his fireman’s fire-suit pants with suspenders. He had abs like Fergal Devitt!

“Thank you, sir. Can I interest you in some raffle tickets? We are raising money for the Firemen’s Benevolent Fund. They are two dollars each, three for five, and eight for ten.”

I wanted to ask if he was the prize, but thought better of it. “Well sure okay, that’s a good cause, I’ll take three please.”

My lovely sandy-haired fireman pulled off three tickets and I scrawled my information onto them. I paid him the $5.00, and shoved the tickets into my wallet. Honestly, I’d have taken him for the afternoon as my preferred prize; instead I smiled at him and said thank you.

“Oh no, thank you sir. I appreciate your generosity.”

I said goodbye and walked on into the grocery store to pick up the bits and pieces I needed.

 

A month later I received a letter from the Fire Department saying thank you for your participation, and while you did not win first prize you did receive third. When I looked at the prize list, well, you could have knocked me over with a brick: I’d won dance lessons.

“Dance lessons!” I said to Pierre my best friend, over our regular Saturday morning coffee. “What the heck do I want with dance lessons?”

Pierre cocked his head and laughed. “Well if I were you—after Peter and Jon’s wedding—I’d take them.”

He was laughing at me.

“Oh, har-de-har-har! I’m not that bad a dancer.”

“Oh you are Danny, you are.” Pierre sipped his coffee then put it down, and wiped his mustache with a paper napkin. “You’d have more fun at those events if you could dance properly.”

“Who would you laugh at then, Pierre? Hmmm?”

 

After coffee I walked back home thinking about the dance lessons. Pierre could be right, much as I hated to admit it. But I did feel conspicuous and uncomfortable dancing in public. Oh well, hell, okay I decided to give them a call when I got home.

Once inside I pulled out the bumpf[1] they’d sent me about the lessons. I was entitled to three free lessons however they could be with mixed sexes or men or women only. Well I thought men only—mother always said, stick to what you know!

I picked up the phone and dialed the number— feeling nervous for some silly reason.

“Gooood afternoon, Crabtree’s Dance Studio. We can fix your two left feet!”

Oh boy.

“Hello, good afternoon. I have in my possession a ticket that provides me with three free lessons?” Oh my god, I was squeaking!

“Oh yes, from the Firemen’s Benevolent Fundraiser?” A female voice inquired.

"Yes, that’s right.”

“Oh, this is wonderful— no one usually collects that prize. Can I just have your name please?”

“My name is Daniel Crawley.” I didn’t question why no one collected this prize.

“Yes, I’ve got your name on my list. So when would you prefer to come, evenings or weekends?”

“On Saturday, is that possible?”

“Yes the free lessons start at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, is that good for you?”

At 9:00 a.m.? NO that’s not good for me! Oh, stop whinging!

“That’s terrific. Early Saturday mornings are my favourite time.”

“Okay, then Mr. Crawley, so do you prefer, men only, or mixed lessons?”

“I’d prefer men only, thank you.”

“Certainly. Okay you are booked, and your teacher will be Stefan. So we’ll see you at 9:00 a.m. this Saturday. Go to Studio C. Please wear leather soled shoes that don’t squeak and especially no running shoes or sandals.”

“Okay, got it. Thank you very much.”

I hung up the phone, and asked myself what in the world I was doing?

 

The alarm rang at 7:45 a.m. on Saturday and I wanted to pick up the clock and fling it, but decided not to. I hauled myself out of my lonely, yet warm bed and got into the shower. As I washed, shaved and, well whatever else I did is none of your business, I wondered what my instructor would be like. Stefan—tall, dark and handsome—I sure hoped so.

I dressed in comfy clothes and wore a pair of leather soled oxfords, which were nicely broken in. It was already warm out and I hopped into the car and drove over to Crabtree’s.

I was still quite early so I pulled into Dimfy Donuts, and ordered a coffee and a cherry cruller, from the drive-thru. Now normally I don’t eat donuts but I thought I’d be getting enough exercise, so that my future husband wouldn’t find this meal on my hips!

So, now revved up on plenty of carbs, sugar and for good measure, caffeine, I presented myself at 8:55 a.m. at Crabtree’s Dance Studio C.

There was no one around so I went into the room. On the floor were those painted footsteps and so I followed them, just for the hell of it. I was in the middle of doing my favourite Alex Da Silva impression when the lights went on, and I slipped during a perfect turn and nearly fell.

“Just what do you think you are doing?”

I turned around and saw the most stunning man I’ve ever seen in my life. He was six feet tall, white-blonde hair, striking cornflower blue eyes, slim; he was just perfection. All that perfection was encased in a beautifully tailored black suit.

“I … um ….” I stammered and felt all of three years old. “Sorry, I’m here for the class.”

Mr. Wonderful sighed haughtily. “You are Mr. Crawley?”

“Yes, that’s me.” I wished the floor would open up.

He walked – nay – floated over to the stereo system and prepped a few things, and then spoke again. “I am Stefan von Grimmelshausen, your instructor.”

I moved forward to shake hands, but he waved me away. “Please, we will begin with a simple waltz.”

Again his feet didn’t seem to touch as he glided to the centre of the dance floor. There he stood, arms out, and stared at me. “Well?”

“Well, what?” I looked around but saw only myself.

“Come to me Mr. Crawley. You are here to learn to dance are you not?” Stefan sounded a little exasperated.

“Right. Yes.” I walked to him, he took my hands, held one, and put the other on his waist. Oh my, he smells like a fresh dewy morning.

I think I pressed my body against his, which he didn’t seem to enjoy because he tutted at me and said, “No touching!”

“Sorry.”

He clicked his tiny remote and the music started. Stefan patiently showed me the steps, 1-2-3-4, over and over. And I tried I really did, but I tripped over my feet and stepped on his. Finally, as he was probably wishing he’d worn steel toed boots, Stefan threw up his hands. He told me I was a klutz and to get out until next week.

The second week was slightly better. At least Stefan didn’t yell at me and I was kind of successful with the waltz. We moved on to salsa—not a great idea. Stefan kept saying, soft knees, quiet top and busy hips; I kept doing busy knees, quiet hips and soft top or something like that. Again at the end, I left behind a furious and frustrated Stefan.

After my third and final lesson, I thanked Stefan for his patience. He smiled and said that graduation was the following week; he hoped that I would come and perform the waltz with him. I was able to dance that fairly well. And like an idiot I agreed.

 

When I arrived at Crabtree’s the following Saturday afternoon, the place was jam packed, and my heart sank. I watched beautifully performed dances, and lovely couples for an hour before my turn came. I walked out to the floor with Stefan, he took me in his arms and we began, then I stepped on his toes, more than once and then tripped him.

After he recovered from my last drubbing of his feet, Stefan stopped our dance, dropped my hand, pulled himself up straight, and tugged down his jacket. He glared at me and swore in German. It was a short tirade ending in one word I recognized: ‘klutz’.

Stefan then turned on the heel of his sound foot and limped away.

It was decided, after a short recess to continue the graduation dance; however I was without a partner.

I was about to bow out when someone took my hand and said, “I’ll be your partner.”

Looking up I was met with lovely gray eyes, sandy hair and a sweet smile—it was my fireman to the rescue—I shook my head no but he said, “Just get close and relax. Just follow me.”

And I did, and we did—it was a miracle.

Afterward, Joe and I talked for a little while, and I asked him jokingly, “What are you doing for the rest of your life?”

Guess what he said, go on.

Okay, I’ll tell you.

 

He said, “Dancing the waltz with you.”

 



[1] Useless printed instructions and manuals.
Originated in England during World War II when English soldiers were overwhelmed with unnecessary printed materials and used them as they would toilet tissue or "bum fodder".

Thanks to AC for reading this, however in this case any editing or grammatical errors are mine.
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 7
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



That was absolutely charming, tim. The self-deprecating characterization was adorable. A fireman to the rescue... how hot is that? You did well here, and hit the mark on the romance scale... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2016 03:37 PM, Headstall said:

That was absolutely charming, tim. The self-deprecating characterization was adorable. A fireman to the rescue... how hot is that? You did well here, and hit the mark on the romance scale... cheers... Gary...

Firemen are always hot ... well some of em. Glad you enjoyed it Gary. Thanks for reading this short and for your comments.

 

I appreciate your support.

 

tim xo

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

:heart::heart::heart:

 

Love, love, loved it! Alright, I wasn't so keen about Stefan ( :angry: ) but that surprise ending was awesome! And a relief... :D
Looks like Daniel has found his HEA with the perfect guy. :thumbup::thumbup:

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2016 04:09 PM, Reader1810 said:

:heart::heart::heart:

 

Love, love, loved it! Alright, I wasn't so keen about Stefan ( :angry: ) but that surprise ending was awesome! And a relief... :D

Looks like Daniel has found his HEA with the perfect guy. :thumbup::thumbup:

Well Stefan was bit stuffy and grumpy, but he had sore feet! Glad you enjoyed this little thing. Thanks for reading it and for your great comments!!

 

I appreciate your support of me and my work.

 

tim xo

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2016 05:45 PM, Coastguard said:

Loved this, tim! A really good chuckle!

Hi!! I was just thinking about you today, honestly. Wondered how you were. Well I hope.

 

Glad this gave you a little chuckle.

 

Thank you for the review and your comment! I appreciate it.

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Awww...what a sweet prompt :wub: Stefan needs to lighten up a bit. Three lessons isn't enough for anyone to become the next Baryshnikov lol I was hoping we'd see the hot fireman again. I loved his response at the end. Nice job!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Von Grimmelshausen! That had me laughing! I must say I share Danny's experience. It is so much easier to dance with someone you are on the same wavelength as. Ballroom isn't for everyone. Dancing is !

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I don't know anyone that doesn't like firemen so Joe already had my attention ;) Stefan can't be that great of a teacher if he doesn't realize that no one is going to be great (and usually not even good) after 3 lessons, unless he's teaching the exact same dance all three times.
Nerves can play havoc on coordination, so it's no wonder Daniel lost focus and started stepping on toes again. Good thing too.. he was able to refocus on the hot fireman :yes:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2016 08:06 PM, Valkyrie said:

Awww...what a sweet prompt :wub: Stefan needs to lighten up a bit. Three lessons isn't enough for anyone to become the next Baryshnikov lol I was hoping we'd see the hot fireman again. I loved his response at the end. Nice job!

Thanks, Val. This was fun to write. Stefan is a little grumpy, maybe he hates Saturday mornings too.

 

Thanks for reading this and your comments...

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Loved this response to the prompt. Loved how Daniel let go and just went to learn to Dance. Loved his interaction with Pierre (great name choice!). Loved how Stefan is an incurable stuffed shirt - not the sweep-him-off-your feet love interest I expected. Love Joe comes to the rescue at the end. Can you guess I re-read this story several times? Wonderful story, and left me wanting to know more about Daniel and Joe.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2016 08:13 PM, Puppilull said:

Von Grimmelshausen! That had me laughing! I must say I share Danny's experience. It is so much easier to dance with someone you are on the same wavelength as. Ballroom isn't for everyone. Dancing is !

Glad you got some laughs, Pup. You're right of course about dancing easier when you're not worried about your looney instructors feet! Thanks for your comments and for reading this.

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2016 11:58 PM, LitLover said:

I don't know anyone that doesn't like firemen so Joe already had my attention ;) Stefan can't be that great of a teacher if he doesn't realize that no one is going to be great (and usually not even good) after 3 lessons, unless he's teaching the exact same dance all three times.

Nerves can play havoc on coordination, so it's no wonder Daniel lost focus and started stepping on toes again. Good thing too.. he was able to refocus on the hot fireman :yes:

Hot yes if you know what Fergal Devitt looks like...man has amazing abs. Anyway sorry, I'm not sure what Stefan's problem is, up too early? But thankfully Joe is there at the end! Thanks for reading this bit of fun, LL!

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/05/2016 12:19 AM, Parker Owens said:

Loved this response to the prompt. Loved how Daniel let go and just went to learn to Dance. Loved his interaction with Pierre (great name choice!). Loved how Stefan is an incurable stuffed shirt - not the sweep-him-off-your feet love interest I expected. Love Joe comes to the rescue at the end. Can you guess I re-read this story several times? Wonderful story, and left me wanting to know more about Daniel and Joe.

Oh, Parker you make grin. I loved how you loved everything! Not sure about more from this pair-wasn't really on my radar. We'll have to see. Thanks for reading this and for your comments!

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

“I am Stefan von Grimmelshausen, your instructor.” …Oh, that part had me cracking up :yes: Nice set-up for a not-so-nice person.

 

Later on, I also really loved this line: "Stefan kept saying, soft knees, quiet top and busy hips; I kept doing busy knees, quiet hips and soft top or something like that." So funny and it paints such a wonderfully complete picture.

 

This is a sweet story, and an absolute joy to read! Thank you for posting it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/06/2016 09:02 AM, AC Benus said:

“I am Stefan von Grimmelshausen, your instructor.” …Oh, that part had me cracking up :yes: Nice set-up for a not-so-nice person.

 

Later on, I also really loved this line: "Stefan kept saying, soft knees, quiet top and busy hips; I kept doing busy knees, quiet hips and soft top or something like that." So funny and it paints such a wonderfully complete picture.

 

This is a sweet story, and an absolute joy to read! Thank you for posting it.

Thank you, AC. I'm glad it had a few amusing moments, that's what I wanted. I am not a great dancer (a surprise i know) so i had to do a little research for this story. And that's what i learned for salsa, quiet top, busy hips and soft knees ...

 

You read this for me and had so great suggestions, which i appreciate very much. Thank you.

 

tim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lovely tim, and a fun read. I'm going to have to orchestrate a way to use 'soft knees, quiet top, busy hips'. I'm thinking my niece's dance class.. That Daniel was doing the opposite of that was so clear in my mind, I'm still cracking up. No sympathy for instructor stuff shirt.
But then - Joe. Amazing how everything fell into place with the right partner.
Cool story..

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/06/2016 11:29 AM, Defiance19 said:

Lovely tim, and a fun read. I'm going to have to orchestrate a way to use 'soft knees, quiet top, busy hips'. I'm thinking my niece's dance class.. That Daniel was doing the opposite of that was so clear in my mind, I'm still cracking up. No sympathy for instructor stuff shirt.

But then - Joe. Amazing how everything fell into place with the right partner.

Cool story..

Hi Def. lol.. really found the busy hips, soft knees and quiet top as instructions for dancing the salsa.. I'm glad this gave you a chuckle or two.

 

Thanks so much for reading this. I really appreciate it.

 

tim xo

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/23/2016 01:01 AM, Arazon said:

Another entertaining read - this had a lot of great character, especially Stefan! As for the dreamy fireman, I cracked up at this line: ‘I wanted to ask if he was the prize, but thought better of it’. Glad he got his prize in the end ;)

You know if you don't have enough HEA around here, well you'll be in trouble. Not really a HEA guy myself, all of the time. So I thought I better give em one. Thanks for reading!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This was fun, although the idea of trying to learn salsa in one lesson has me :facepalm:  And why on earth did Stefan offer to dance with him at graduation. Maybe because all of his other pupils said no thanks to stepping out with the grim reaper. :lol:  I'm happy Daniel got the best prize in the shape of a hunky fireman. :P 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Well, Daniel did get the prize that he wanted in the raffle.

Fantastic short, tim. I could see Danny with two left feet, stepping on toes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/22/2017 at 2:24 AM, Timothy M. said:

This was fun, although the idea of trying to learn salsa in one lesson has me :facepalm:  And why on earth did Stefan offer to dance with him at graduation. Maybe because all of his other pupils said no thanks to stepping out with the grim reaper. :lol:  I'm happy Daniel got the best prize in the shape of a hunky fireman. :P 

Gosh, i'm so sorry Tim.. thanks for your comments!

32 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Well, Daniel did get the prize that he wanted in the raffle.

Fantastic short, tim. I could see Danny with two left feet, stepping on toes.

Hehe.. glad you like it A... much appreciated.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I always new I was right to prefer Firemen to dancers, this confirms it, now where did I put his number? here it is 999 (that's the UK number). Nice one, that's another that I like.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..