Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,642 Words
  • 2,928 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 73. Delayed

Yes, I've written longer chapters, I don't wanted proofread that much! I hate proofreading, but I hate those potholes more. They aren't plotholes. They are bumps in the path. You come up with a clever name for them.
I still miss you, Daniel.

Delayed

Royalty is Never Late


 

Rolph did gather himself enough to tell us what happened. It isn't a cure, but it did settle his nerves; a shot of whiskey.

Yuri was beside him and finally asked him, “Can you tell us what happened? It might be important. They left the club just minutes before the shooting.”

Rolph nodded, “They had just come out. Then all three of them began threatening the few men outside,” He said. “There were just two out there at the time. The three of them pushed a man against the wall and demanded to know if you were here and where you were.” He had stopped the shudder he had before. Had he killed someone before? Not just wounded the person he shot but killed him. I'd have been more worried if he didn't have some reaction. "They were all shouting at the man...Cosmo and I were just coming around the corner and we saw the bald one pulled out this long knife and had against his victim's throat and threatened him saying he would cut him, starting with his dick if he didn't tell him who was here.” Rolph laughed a laugh that was not because anything was funny, but because the whole thing was absurd. I had to agree with him. Things like this never happen in Makarovia and blood-thirsty pirates couldn't be in the modern world. Yet, here they were. They didn't say “Arge” or “shiver me timbers.” They didn't have a parrot on their shoulder, but they were pirates. I kept thinking of Capt. Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean. You know. Johnny Depp? I liked the movie, but I felt nothing for him. He was a very good actor that changed for his character. In all of his movies he looked and acted differently. That was talent. None of those characters attracted me to him. I hate long hair on a guy. Again, that's my opinion. Mine. Sue me if you do like it or have it or were offended.

We saw what was happening and we both hurried over to stop them,” Rolph said, “Cosmo pulled the guy with the knife away and he was stabbed. It was hard and deep.” Rolph said still a little shaken, “I pulled my gun out and fired twice. The second bullet got him in the head.” He looked at me and Peter. “I didn't want to shoot Cosmo! My aim was high.” He explained unnecessarily and more desperately for us to understand. “He was killing Cosmo!”

Yuri beside him put his arm around Rolph's shoulder, “And you had no choice.” He assured him we knew.

It's what we do,” Alec added quietly. “We protect. That's our job.”

Mercea was listening, but couldn't add much, “I hope I can do it if the time comes.”

You can be proud of what you did,” Peter said. “You didn't just save me or Eric. You saved the Greek man who was at first threatened and Cosmo.”

I nodded and added, “The criminals that threatened that man wouldn't have stopped with him, but the other man as well. They probably would have in the bar, but Pano scared then off with his size.” I smiled. “It makes me feel like we can trust him even more.” I got up on the other side of Rolph. “I can't know what you're going through, but you are a good man, Rolph.”

Boris, who didn't comment much during security things, "You are all forgetting." Then spoke a tone that we were missing the obvious. "That man was a bad guy." He said ending it more as a question.

I waved my hand toward Boris, “See? You had to do it as one of the good guys.”

I just keep seeing his face after I shot him the first time,” He said to everybody, “The first bullet hit him in the right chest near his shoulder so he had to drop the knife, but I saw this wild look in his eye that said he wouldn't stop. They wouldn't stop. I had to shoot again. That one went in his right forehead." He pointed to his forehead over his right eye. “The other two ran off.”

Yuri nodded, “Even without the political stuff, you were authorized to carry a gun for protection. That means they knew you might use it to protect. And you did. The shooting was justified. You were in the right.”

"Do you still have your phone?" I asked knowing it was a stupid question. Of course, he did. They all did.

Yes,” He said simply.

I think you need to see why you're here again.” I smiled. “I know you have pictures of Andreea, Alina, and Daria on your phone.” I grinned. “I know you are devoted to them and you should be. You have a job you do very well. There is an alliance with Peter and me; I believe the job was your choice.”

Rolph nodded, “It was. I feel it is an honor to serve Makarovia. By protecting members of the Royal Family, which is the greatest honor.”

I smiled again nodding, “As I said, you do a damned fine job.” I looked over at Alec and Mercea. “All of you do.” I looked at Rolph. “You provide a comfortable home and food for your family. Every time you see the bad guy's face, look at those happy faces." I sat back a little. "You know I can read expressions. Those two little faces had the look of joy on their faces. That joy was put there by you and Andreea. This marriage and divorce game you and your wife play keep the love alive.” I gave a shrugging nod. “I don't think I go to that extreme, but I see the positive parts of it. I hope Peter and I can do that. Andreea and you keep the love fresh.” I looked at Peter. “Have we done that?”

Sure,” Peter said without needing to think about it. “We do it all the time. The really big one as two weeks ago when we said, I do.”

I nodded pointing at him, “Yes we did; good answer.”

Rolph nodded, “I just hope Cosmo pulls through.”

He’s one of us,” I said. “We all hope he will.”

Rolph got his phone out and began to laugh, “They sent me another video clip. I have several.”

You are their Daddy,” I said, “They love you. Don't make me make a royal demand that you view it right now.”

Rolph nodded smiling, “Yes, Your Highness.”

I got up and went back to sit with Peter.

I see you've come to appreciate your title,” Peter smiled as I sat with him. “You wear it well.”

Rolph didn't have his earbud to plugin and soon at a low volume, I heard the high pitched voices. I was too far away to understand it, but I saw a relaxed smile on Rolph's face and the louder laughter and giggles came clearly.

It had been a chaotic night and we had been through some tough moments. Cosmo had been through; so had Rolph. That and the coffee I wasn't sleepy. I got the computer in the living area and searched for what I hoped I'd find. The browser I used translated what sought to allow me to find what I was looking for. I called the store and with a little verification using that debit card from Makarovia, that and the papers from the government given to us, I bought two. Mikell could use one too. I had the vendor to activate both of them. I verified the amount exactly. No one could use the number to get more. The store was downtown Athens. I didn't know where Pano and Barry lived...or Edger.

Pano did call me back and I told him what I was doing. I asked him if he could pick them up and deliver them personally to Mikell. That was better than having it delivered by strangers. Pano, Barry, and Edger knew Mikell and he knew them. I would have wanted to do this myself, but I couldn't. Being a prince wasn't always doing whatever you want or even positive. I didn't drive anywhere. I could in Makarovia, but only in the summer. I did it once. I determined to do it again when we got back. I could understand better Peter's desire to just be Peter when he got to Northeastern. There were times I just wanted to be unknown where we were. I understood better, but I had been free for all of my life. I could walk into any Walmart or mall; any night club or bar and not be recognized unless it was a friend I already knew. Olek and Mom had it worse but had more of it now since there had been so much international television exposure. I had some after Peter became known, but now that we had married; even before we were married they hounded us mercilessly. Peter hadn't been out in the world because of the acne that long and it bothered him. The citizens of Makarovia knew who Peter was, but hardly anybody else in the world.

We were not leaving for a while. We all, including the crew of the Duchess, would wait until Cosmo stabilized or... No one wanted "the or" to happen. I knew Pano and Barry opened the Bar about six in the evening. After checking with Henri, I invited the three of them for a late lunch or early dinner at two o’clock. Lunch or dinner; who cared what it was called, it was a meal with some friends. Yes, that made us late for the departure from Athens and arrival in Venice. That might be a problem if this was a commercial thing. And no one was going to be late reporting for work. Our agents were at work, even Cosmo and Mikell and so was the crew. The only job Peter and I had was to return to Makarovia. There would be no repercussions to anyone. Well, Makarovia would have some repercussions financially. I said it in the beginning, this boat was very expensive. Makarovia was making money now, but I thought of the budget. That was just me before all this. It was just a habit, but I thought of the people. Using the treasury to pay for this will take away something for them. Didn't it? We didn’t have a disposable income. The new tunnels in the underground were coming along, new schools were opening underground! Snow and ice would not be a big problem or excuse now. The remote areas would take a while more.

 

Peter told me Olek had told him it was covered. I was reminded again of the house in Tel Aviv was as expensive and any resort would be costly because our agents needed to stay with us. This was less expensive. I wasn't sure about that, but I wasn't going to object or ask. We did nap, but we didn't sleep. It was daytime and my body kept reminding me of that. My biological clock hadn't been prepared or reset. I just felt uncomfortable.

Henri said he would have lunch ready at two-fifteen, in case they were late. I had a feeling Edger was never late. That was passed down to Pano.

Peter and I were on the Duchess but didn't go out on the open deck. We risked being spotted if we did. Gretchen was who that greeted them as they boarded the Duchess. Boarding could be done in several ways, but this one was to the front for better coverage. At one-fifty Gretchen came in the living area with our three friends.

...and Peter and Eric traveled on her how long?” Edger asked as he walked almost doing a pirouette as spun he tried to see everything.

Gretchen chuckled. “You can ask them." She stopped but waved them on toward us.

Peter and I both laughed at him. Pano's immense size was more obvious on the Duchess. I had noticed the convenient use of space, but the feel of elbow room. With Pano that should up more. He didn't have to stoop over, but the ceiling looked closer to his head. Oh, yeah! It was!

I told them there had to be a mistake," Barry said smiling at me and Peter. "But that man in the booth in front confirmed this boat was in berth nine and we were expected. The name it was under is Yuri's name.” Barry thumbed behind himself and the direction they'd come.

Peter smiled at him. “For security reasons it needed to be that way.”

Pano was doing it too as he looked around, “Yeah, sure.”

Is this a Makarovian Royal Family Yacht?” Barry asked.

Sort of,” I chuckled. “It belongs to our future step-aunt.”

Oh, stop that,” Peter gave me a slight shove.

"Well, it is," I said back.

"It belongs to the Count and Countess von Bar," Peter said to them. "The Countess is the sister of the man who is involved with my mother, Queen Alla of Makarovia. We know they will marry.”

Pano nodded with a grin, “Oh, I see.”

"I glad you aren't suffering," Barry said sardonically.

I smiled but wanted them to know. "I am sorry to inconvenience you as I did..."

Oh, stop that,” Pano growled with a grin. “It wasn't a problem. We picked up the IPads and took it to the hospital.”

IPads!?” Peter asked, “I thought you were getting them each a Kindle.”

Well, it was just a little problem proving who I was over the phone, but once their government office confirmed me it was Yes, Your Highness every few seconds.” I shrugged, “They offered a deal on those IPads and they had a Kindle app on them.” I smiled. “Now they can read anything or play a game on the Web or even watch a movie or any television show. I didn't want them unnecessarily bored.” I leaned in to give confidential information. “Hospitals are boring. You get better just get out.”

Edger gave an annoyed grunt, “Don't remind me.”

He nearly died so of course, he knew of boredom during a hospital stay.

Mikell was surprised but took them to him,” Pano said, “but pleased with what it was.”

Peter and I wanted so much to do that, but...” I began softly.

I'm pretty sure they both know why you can't,” Barry assured us.

We'll give you a tour of the Duchess after lunch,” I smiled. “You need to know one rule.”

Peter looked at his watch and he grinned, "Oh, yes." He leaned in a little. "Never be late for a meal. When he says a time, you are there on time."

I nodded, "We were late once. It wasn't pleasant."

We led them into the dining area on the main deck. It was a little ostentatious, but we thought our friends deserved special treatment.

Yuri and Boris rushed in as Yuri said, “We're not late. We're not late.”

I chuckled and said, "You're on time, you're fine."

Edger sat at the table as did his looking around again. “I dressed to come here. Now I feel under dressed.”

Peter laughed lightly, “You dressed fine.” He waved his t-shirt. “We certainly aren't dressed up.”

The galley door opened and again Henri came out pushing his cart. “Bonj...” He looked at Pano at the table and froze, “Bon dieu everseetout-puissant!”

I guess I got more from my French Class. I knew he said Good God Almighty. I chuckled and asked sounding innocent as I didn't know what he was shocked about. “Is there a problem?”

I don't know,” he looked at his cart. “I was worried I may have made too much, but now I wonder if I made enough!”

Introductions were given for all.

Eric said he asked you about food allergies when he called you,” Henri said. “Is there anything else I should know about?”

We're hungry,” Barry said.

"Fine," Henri said placing individual plates with four cups made from Phyllo dough baked to a golden-brown perfection with steaming continents of crab and finely chopped shrimp. There were flecks of green I knew were onions and who knows what else? Oh, yeah. Henri did. He would tell us what else perhaps later but he had a schedule to follow, so he couldn't spare the time now. Each cup was the size of hockey pucks.

Do you eat this well every day?" Edger asked looking at his plate.

I'm sure they do now,” Pano said. “This is their honeymoon.”

And the seafood is for me,” Peter smirked. "Makarovia is landlocked. There’s only one lake big enough fish from and the rivers.”

I nodded. “Lake Rsys has fish in it, I'm sure, but I've haven’t seen anyone serve any of those fish from that lake.”

Peter nodded, “Which you know is inaccessible much of the year.”

Which explains the seafood diet these two weeks,” I explained. "But, to answer your question, Edger; we don't always eat like this." I saw Boris fidget a little, but said nothing. "Boris can cook lavishly, too. Peter and I prefer meals more basic, but they are very good. As he did with my last birthday, that was lavish...”

Until the Consortium stormed in and shot the place up,” Peter reminded me.

But we knew they planned to and we were prepared,” I touched Peter's hand. I waved at Yuri, “He was prepared. Not one of us was hurt.”

Boris grunted, “The mess they left took a few days to clean up. There are still bullet holes in some of the furniture that needs to be repaired.”

Peter smiled, “ Do we have to?”

Boris's eyes grew, "That's the house King Olek wants as his Embassy. You want other powers to see that?”

Peter smiled and shrugged, “It would tell people we don't back down. If you do try something to us, we still will stand firm.”

Boris wasn't happy to hear that, but Yuri was nodding with a smile.

I raised a fist and held it out over the table, “Makarovia forever!”

Yuri stood instantly, “Hear, hear!” He put his fist next to mine.

Yeah!” Peter stood putting his fist in.

Boris sighed and said with less enthusiasm, “Hear, hear.” He put his fist next to ours. “Why is our show of power messy?”

We all sat again, our Greek guests smiling at us.

It was cleaned up,” Peter said not understanding.

Boris nodded, “Yes I did.”

Boris,” Peter said alarmed. “I know Olek authorized you to hire any outside help to clean it up.”

We were in class and didn't see that,” I said. “I just saw it was cleaner each day.”

Boris alarmed this time, "I wasn't going to trust some strangers to come in know what to clean what to clean with!" He thought of how to explain. "Remember that person took my special nonstick pan and cleaned it with a scouring pad?"
I nodded, “I do.”

We saw you throw it away,” Peter smiled.

Boris nodded, “It was ruined! There is no way I'd trust any but the staff I watched and trained to clean it up.”

I leaned closer to Boris but was too far away to touch him unless we stood up. Obviously. “I'm genuinely sorry we didn't know that.”

Boris smiled and shrugged, “I have a way I do things.” He waved at Henri. “He does it, too.”

Henri was nodding now with some measure of urgency. "And we've wasted enough time talking cutting in the second course." He said throwing his hands up, again and again, to urge us to eat. “Less time talking, more eating. Mange, mange!” He said and went back to the galley.

Pano looked at Peter and me, “Is he always like this?”

Peter thought a few seconds and nodded, “Pretty much.”

And we wouldn't have it any other way,” I said knowing he was listening.

It's what makes us love him even more,” Peter said.

We love you, Henri,” I said and our guests looked at perplexed as to why we said that when Henri wasn't here to hear it.

The galley door opened and Henri said, “I love you, too. Now, eat!” He commanded.

He always served things at the right time. It was delicious. Henri seemed as if he couldn't make anything that tasted unpleasant.

The second course came; bowls of something steaming.

Boris looked at it smiling more, “You made Ukha?”

Again Henri did this sort of nod and let out a long, “Weeeell...”

That's Henri-speak telling us it is Russian Fish Soup,” Peter said to everyone, “Brought by way of France.”

And presented A la Henri," I added. "But it's always done with freshwater fish like perch, pike or salmon."

Henri looked indignant, “And what law says I have to do that?" He got serious a moment. "Many of the fish now are suffering because of overfishing. Fisheries are where these fish and many other meals I served came from." He sighed. "There are families have been fishing waters of the Mediterranean for so many generations they can't remember doing anything else. When I see them, I will buy from them, but really..." he huffed, "All those chefs and customers who say one tastes better than the other are doing it wrong." He stated annoyed. "If it doesn't taste the same, fine, try changing the spices or something to bring it back, OR,” He said loud raising a finger as if pointing something out, “Create something even better! I said again and again the same dish doesn't have to and shouldn't be the same damn it!!" He stated emphatically and snorted.
I raised my hands and shouted like something was inside me. “Preach on bruther, but yer a'preachin to thehey got it. Edger was chuckling. Peter, Boris, and Yuri were going over my Southerner spoken words to get what I'd said.

I'd had Ukha and it did taste a lot like the Ukha I'd had, but not quite. Henri made it taste better . There were the usual potatoes. It had chopped onions and bagged yellow onion dropped in while it cooked and a touch of lemon. It sounds like a basic soup. It wasn't really Russian Fish Soup. It was Fish Soup cooked with the same ingredients, but cod. It was very good!

This Consortium you mentioned,” Pano said seriously. “You think they are responsible for these brazen attempts by pirates.”

We don't know," Yuri explained. He looked at Peter and me. "You two theorized that pirate wanted in the Consortium. Maybe they offered her a place in their ranks if she helped them get you." He shrugged. "Either way, the danger is escalating. These coming months and days are going to get more difficult. You two can't be freely walking as you have." He looked at Peter. "Twice they tried to get you. Twice, they were defeated," Yuri said sadly, "Very badly. They've been embarrassed. The Beauty/Beast pirate has also failed twice.”

But there is almost no way she knew where we were,” Peter stated.

If she did,” I added, “she would have sent more than three men.”

Yuri nodded, "I think you're right. She knew where you were as you came around Sicily and tried to get you to have compassion for a lady in distress. We found the tracker put on the Duchess that was almost out of power. I made it so we looked like another vessel until we got to Greece. Now, we aren't sending anything at all . I think she was following where you previously to see if you'd come back.”

They know now,” I said. "Her men would have told her."

"They know you're in Greece," Yuri nodded. "Even if they limit their search to marinas, they will have to do so visually. There are several within walking distance of Big's. The two survivors would also report the Greek Authorities knew they were there and security would be watching more vigilantly.”

"We could just ask the Makarovian Plane to come to Athens and fly home," I suggested. "We could even hire a private jet until commercial planes can make more scheduled landings.”

Yuri nodded with a hand to have me slow down. “I think the best way is to do what we planned. We will return to Venice and stay in territorial waters of Greece, Albanian, Montenegro, Croatia to Venice." Then he grinned at us. “Unless you want to leave the Duchess.”

What!?” Peter blurted.

Just as I said, “Hell no!”

Yuri chuckled, “That's what I thought.”

"Okay," Henri said his hands waving in a hurry-up motion, "Less talking and more eating. Your soup is getting cold!" He said and went back to the galley.
I am going to miss him!” I said as we started to eat again.

Whatever name you give this meal, it was still a pleasant time. I was afraid our speaking so openly about the danger we faced would scare Pano, Barry, and Edger away. Nothing I saw with them told me they were.

Henri brought out the main course, he uncovered steaming plates. Each plate had two tails of lobster that appeared to have exploded from within with crabmeat. I understood Henri's comment that he was worried he made too much.

But Henri wasn't finished! It was all very French. The salad was next. Not a big one but there was tiny baby shrimp in it with the greens and a light dressing. Then Crepes Suzette. These thin pancakes folded sweet orange slices made with a sweet orange taste. It was delicious. Again.

I told you before French meals didn't end with a sweet taste in the mouth. He served some pieces of hot buttered toasted bread with anchovies.

Pano pushed his plate back and sighed, “This isn't said by me very often. I'm stuffed.” He covered his stomach with his hands.

Good!” Peter grin. “I'm sorry you have to work in a few hours.”

Barry shook it off smiling, “No, we will be able to work it off."

You're leaving today?” Edger asked.

When we hear Cosmo is on the road to recovery a bit more,” Peter said.

I put my napkin on the table, “I'll feel a lot better speaking with him.”

Henri came out of the galley with a knowing sense of accomplishment. “I hope you enjoyed this quick and simple meal."

Simple!?” Barry blurted and pointed at his plate. “This was quick and simple?”

Henri nodded, “Oui. A complicated meal will last for hours and have as many as seventeen courses.”

Edger snorted, “A meal in Greece could last for days.”

"That hasn't been done that here in centuries, Dad," Pano said with a chuckle.
You think so, Mr. Smartypants?” Edger said to Pano. Then he turned to Peter, Boris, Yuri, and me. “The Holy Days have banquets that last all weekend.”

"To which Barry and I aren't welcome," Pano stated. "And those banquets end for the day and they go home and come back later."

Peter and I were amused by them.

I invite you all to Makarovia the weekend near August the nineteenth?” Peter asked. “I will be twenty-seven that day.”

You will stay with us in the palace; meet King Olek and Queen Alla, and our favorite sister-in-law.” I smiled.

Pano looked confused. “Dr. Helga Schneider? I didn’t think she married King Olek, yet. There was nothing in the news about that.”

By the time you get there,” Peter said smiling. “She will be.”

Just don’t tell anyone yet,” I said in another stage-whisper.

Yuri frowned, "With you two incapable of keeping a secret, it will be widely known before that."

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 22
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fantastic chapter. I’m glad that Cosmo is on the road to recovery although I’m sure it will be a long road to go down. I’m glad that Eric and Peter invited Edgar, Pano and Barry to dine with them on board the Duchess, it seems like they all had a very enjoyable time of dining and talking amongst friends. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

An iPad is much more useful than a Kindle. Even my ancient seven year old iPad can do all sorts of things. I’m trying to figure out how to replace it though…
;–)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Quote

With you two incapable of keeping a secret, it will be widely known before that.

Are the pirates and the Consortium just listening on Eric & Peter’s conversations?
;–)

  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! The concern for Cosmo and his ongoing recovery is hanging over the heads of the entire Makarovian delegation. Pano, Barry and Edgar were a little bit overwhelmed by the Duchess’s opulance.The luncheon that Henri served them caused them to ask if they ate like that all of the time. The pirates and consortium are still lurking around the shadows. What might happen next with Cosmo’s recovery and what dangers are awaiting their voyage back to Venice. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..